Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm going to be getting myself a new computer before the year's end, and something I'd like to be able to do with it is broadcast streams ala Justin.tv or Twitch.

I'll figure out the software when it comes it, my only question is whether or not there are any special hardware considerations I need to take into account for this. Can anyone tell me if there are specific features that I need to make sure my video card, monitor, or anything else needs to have in order to do this?

I'm assuming that as long as I get a decent rig and a monitor and video card with all the proper ports then I'll be good to go from a hardware perspective. Is this the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm going to be getting myself a new computer before the year's end, and something I'd like to be able to do with it is broadcast streams ala Justin.tv or Twitch.

I'll figure out the software when it comes it, my only question is whether or not there are any special hardware considerations I need to take into account for this. Can anyone tell me if there are specific features that I need to make sure my video card, monitor, or anything else needs to have in order to do this?

I'm assuming that as long as I get a decent rig and a monitor and video card with all the proper ports then I'll be good to go from a hardware perspective. Is this the case?

I depends on how you're be interfacing your camera to broadcast. Are you just going to use a standard webcam or are you broadcasting with an prosumer HD camera? Or are you just streaming your desktop or using fraps or something?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Combo of a hardware and software question. I've stupidly held off of buying a legacy PS/2 keyboard and mouse to deal with it, so it's partially my fault. Anyways,

My power went out while my PC was restarting today, and of course, Windows 7 wants to ask me if I want to do Windows Repair(as default) or startup regularly. The problem is, my Logitech M500 Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo seems to have the fun bug of not working in the BIOS prior to loading the OS. Google confirms other users with this same problem with Logitech. I'm currently searching for a cheap PS/2 keyboard mouse combo though.

In the meantime, is there anyway to bypass this screen to boot straight to the OS? It'll just sit at Startup repair with no mouse/Keyboard movement.

Edit: also, another weird thing, I'll be able to access the BIOS setup maybe 1 of 20 tries after madly hitting the DEL key during startups. Hitting it repeatedly or holding it down from startup doesn't matter, it just seems to be entirely random for when it will enter the BIOS. So the keyboard does work randomly sometimes.

Edit 2: Nevermind, my friend came through with a USB to PS/2 connector which my wired USB mouse was able to work with. Time to finally buy some PS/2 equipment.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 1, 2011

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FCKGW posted:

I depends on how you're be interfacing your camera to broadcast. Are you just going to use a standard webcam or are you broadcasting with an prosumer HD camera? Or are you just streaming your desktop or using fraps or something?

Sorry, that was a really dumb detail to leave out. I want to stream games primarily. So I'll be using fraps or some other program to do that. I would also like the capability to stream xbox games, but don't know what hardware considerations I need to take into account for that to get the data from the box to the stream, like how many of what kinds of ports I might need on the video card and monitor/t.v.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I'm probably going to need to replace my power supply and my video card because funny enough, with a 300-watt allowance, you can't do jack poo poo. I know it's this one, but I'm scared shitless of getting the wrong type of supply and frying my computer. I don't even need anything major, a 400W supply would work fine. I know it's an ATX supply, but that's it. What should I look for in a power supply to avoid problems?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

CraigK posted:

I'm probably going to need to replace my power supply and my video card because funny enough, with a 300-watt allowance, you can't do jack poo poo. I know it's this one, but I'm scared shitless of getting the wrong type of supply and frying my computer. I don't even need anything major, a 400W supply would work fine. I know it's an ATX supply, but that's it. What should I look for in a power supply to avoid problems?

Check out the stickied system building megathread. In the quick picks, there's a section for PSU's. Choose one from there, and you should be good.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Okay, thanks. Gonna do it after this post.

I'll go more in-depth there, too; try to work out everything in there.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 1, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

I have a HAF-922 case and P6X58-D Premium motherboard.

The front USB on my case hasn't ever worked. I've tried attaching to both the USB 5/6 and USB 7/8 headers on the motherboard. When I attach USB devices, Windows doesn't recognize them and nothing appears in Device Manager.

My Fedora install is hosed so I can't check to see if lsusb sees anything.

Do you guys think this is:

A) the case being messed up
B) motherboard messed up
C) I need a BIOS update maybe?

I think it's A. Do you have any other USB brackets you can test with the motherboard headers? I doubt that Asus BIOS lets you turn off specific USB headers like some other BIOS can.

Roving Reporter posted:

In the meantime, is there anyway to bypass this screen to boot straight to the OS? It'll just sit at Startup repair with no mouse/Keyboard movement.

Edit: also, another weird thing, I'll be able to access the BIOS setup maybe 1 of 20 tries after madly hitting the DEL key during startups. Hitting it repeatedly or holding it down from startup doesn't matter, it just seems to be entirely random for when it will enter the BIOS. So the keyboard does work randomly sometimes.

Edit 2: Nevermind, my friend came through with a USB to PS/2 connector which my wired USB mouse was able to work with. Time to finally buy some PS/2 equipment.

Is Legacy USB support on in BIOS? You could maybe have it hold at the POST screen for some extra seconds to give it some extra time as well. The USB receiver is likely being enumerated quickly, but the handshaking on Logitech's side between their receivers may be taking longer.

Chomp8645 posted:

Sorry, that was a really dumb detail to leave out. I want to stream games primarily. So I'll be using fraps or some other program to do that. I would also like the capability to stream xbox games, but don't know what hardware considerations I need to take into account for that to get the data from the box to the stream, like how many of what kinds of ports I might need on the video card and monitor/t.v.

I think for nice quality XBox capping, you need a digital capture card like the Blackmagic Intensity.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Not sure about streaming PC games, but the Black Magic Intensity Pro would work for PS3/360: http://tinyurl.com/brtdxbl

Edit: dammit.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 1, 2011

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Roving Reporter posted:

My HTPC was like this. I made a Registry entry edit that reduced the wait time to boot normally in 8 seconds or something, just so it would move on in a short time if I didn't care, but still give me time should I need to get into the BIOS with a different keyboard.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
My grandma called today and wanted me to build her a new desktop. She wants as few cables as possible on her desk, understandably. I'm going to build a system from a barebone zotac box (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XYJLY0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER) which I've had good experiences with in the past. The problem is that I'd like to eliminate her old desktop computer speakers as well.

She doesn't need anything particularly loud or fancy, as the most important thing is to avoid clutter. We're not Mac people, and we want to save money so an iMac is out of the question for her. Is there any way to add an internal speaker to a barebone system?

Perhaps something that connects to a IFPA / AC97 motherboard header? Does this even exist? Googling brings up nothing, but perhaps I am just looking for the wrong thing.

Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Treytor posted:

Is there any way to add an internal speaker to a barebone system?
I don't think you're going to find anything like that. This is probably as minimal as you can get.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Treytor posted:

My grandma called today and wanted me to build her a new desktop. She wants as few cables as possible on her desk, understandably. I'm going to build a system from a barebone zotac box (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XYJLY0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER) which I've had good experiences with in the past. The problem is that I'd like to eliminate her old desktop computer speakers as well.

She doesn't need anything particularly loud or fancy, as the most important thing is to avoid clutter. We're not Mac people, and we want to save money so an iMac is out of the question for her. Is there any way to add an internal speaker to a barebone system?

Perhaps something that connects to a IFPA / AC97 motherboard header? Does this even exist? Googling brings up nothing, but perhaps I am just looking for the wrong thing.

Thanks!

You know, depending on how barebones and wire-free you want to get, you might consider a refurbished HP all-in-one like this http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=BV551AARABA&vid=195&src=F which is $491.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm an idiot and just realized that the monitor has speakers built in. I totally forgot about that. Whoops!

I considered the all-in-one route, but I never really liked those. Besides, this machine I'm putting together is an 8 GB dual core, 64GB SSD $450 (not including a screen) machine that will be plenty for what she needs over the next few years.

Thanks again guys!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Treytor posted:

Remember that those headers would be line-level inputs, so you'd still need an amplifier (or really low-impedance speakers I guess) to get any appreciable amount of sound out of them.

Good that her monitor has 'em built in though!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Is there a way I can stream music or even video in the shower, other than hacking something up myself? I am just that lazy, worthless, and addicted to media consumption.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

Is there a way I can stream music or even video in the shower, other than hacking something up myself? I am just that lazy, worthless, and addicted to media consumption.

Subsonic + a smart phone works pretty well

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's really more the waterproofing I'm concerned about.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

movax posted:

I think it's A. Do you have any other USB brackets you can test with the motherboard headers? I doubt that Asus BIOS lets you turn off specific USB headers like some other BIOS can.

No, I don't :(

I'm considering buying a replacement top panel for my case but it'll be like $20 post-shipping and I'm not sure if it will fix it or not. Hrm. Maybe I'll just buy a USB hub instead.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Factory Factory posted:

It's really more the waterproofing I'm concerned about.

Scour craigslist for outdoor speakers, and run them from another room? Not sure how you'd pull off the controls for the source though.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
So I have a Corsair 600T and it has a dust filter slide out deal under the PSU in the bottom of the case. Today I slid it out to clean it and inside of it was this:

http://imgur.com/a/ZrKkR

Its a little golden fork thing, its very small and I've never seen this before. It was sitting in the dust tray thing which is directly underneath the big fan on my corsair PSU. All I can think of is that it fell out of my PSU, but what is it? Should I be worried? I haven't had any problems.

Badmana
Jul 28, 2004
WARNING: FROM SCARBOROUGH.

DO NOT TOUCH.
PSU question:

I got a new video card that needs both a PCI-E 6 pin and 8 pin power supply. My Antec EA-650 comes with a 6 pin, 6+2 pin and 1 8 pin PCI-E connector but the 8 pin and 6+2 pin connects do not fit my videocard's power plug.

It seems the EA-650 was designed before the 8 pin PCI-E standard was finalized and they aren't the same as they are now.

Now, does anyone know what the new PCI-E 8 pin standard is called? Google doesn't have much but I do know the EA-650 came out sometime in 2007-08 and I got mine in 08-09 so either mine was on the shelf for a while or the EA-650s are still built with the old 8 pin plug. I want to get a new PSU but I want to make sure the 8 pin PCI-E is the correct version.

I've also read the 8 pin connector might be the 12V EPS connector but it's the same shape as the 6+2 connector (the +2 does not match, one pin is the wrong shape).

I'm currently using the splitter the came with the card (splitting 2 molex plugs that aren't being used) and my UPS reports max total draw of 515 watts (including the monitor which is around 70 watts). No stability issues but I'm worried voltage drop might affect long term health of the videocard.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The 8-pin cable is for the motherboard, you want to be using the 6+2-pin connector, which WILL fit the videocard. Make sure the cables are securely snapped together and aligned properly. What videocard do you have?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

spanko posted:

So I have a Corsair 600T and it has a dust filter slide out deal under the PSU in the bottom of the case. Today I slid it out to clean it and inside of it was this:

http://imgur.com/a/ZrKkR

Its a little golden fork thing, its very small and I've never seen this before. It was sitting in the dust tray thing which is directly underneath the big fan on my corsair PSU. All I can think of is that it fell out of my PSU, but what is it? Should I be worried? I haven't had any problems.

Uh... that does look like an electronics interconnect of some kind. I would call Corsair for an expert opinion before you power on the system again.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
So i received the laptop that had coffee spilt on it. It seems almost none got onto the motherboard, but I still gave it a clean with 99% alcohol.

After putting it all together, all I'm getting is the light turning on, the fan spinning up for about two seconds before stopping and the light going out about five seconds later.

No beeps, nothing on the screen, no backlight. The battery charging light flashes when it isn't switched on however.

I've tried different ram and with nothing but the ram plugged in as well as a different hard drive.

I'm pretty stumped right now...

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
You're the guy whose mom spilled coffee on her laptop?

A flashing battery light usually means a problem in the power supply or battery; what happens if you take the battery out and run the system just from wall power? Did you ever see the new battery working?

Sorry, but there's about a 90% chance it's not worth fixing. You might be able to fix it, but if it's not the battery then you'll probably have to buy new parts, and there's not much in laptops (particularly older ones) that's standardized. For an older system, it's almost always more cost-effective to just buy a new computer.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Space Gopher posted:

You're the guy whose mom spilled coffee on her laptop?

A flashing battery light usually means a problem in the power supply or battery; what happens if you take the battery out and run the system just from wall power? Did you ever see the new battery working?

Sorry, but there's about a 90% chance it's not worth fixing. You might be able to fix it, but if it's not the battery then you'll probably have to buy new parts, and there's not much in laptops (particularly older ones) that's standardized. For an older system, it's almost always more cost-effective to just buy a new computer.

Yeah, I know it's very unlikely, but I'm just trying anything at the moment since it seems I can't wreck it any worse :v:

As for the light, the laptop flashes the charging light when it's charging, and whether the battery is in or out, it's the same effect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't find my monitor manual and quick Google isn't helping but:

How do I get audio from my monitor to my speakers? I have a Dell Ultrasharp U2410 and hooked my Xbox via HDMI. Speakers are M-Audio AV40's.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Vintersorg posted:

How do I get audio from my monitor to my speakers? I have a Dell Ultrasharp U2410 and hooked my Xbox via HDMI. Speakers are M-Audio AV40's.

Does your monitor have a headphone port? If so, use that. If not, the standard Xbox AV cable has an optical audio port. That's the only way I know.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Vintersorg posted:

There's a 3.5mm stereo jack in the port forest for HDMI pass-through.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just found the audio out, played a bit of Beatles Rock Band and it was distorted to hell and back. :(

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Is the HDMI out set to PCM stereo or some sort of digital format? Only PCM stereo should work right.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What were some of the earliest 4 socket capable Intel CPUs/Platforms? Pentium 3 based Xeon?

Badmana
Jul 28, 2004
WARNING: FROM SCARBOROUGH.

DO NOT TOUCH.

Alereon posted:

The 8-pin cable is for the motherboard, you want to be using the 6+2-pin connector, which WILL fit the videocard. Make sure the cables are securely snapped together and aligned properly. What videocard do you have?

I thought maybe the excitement of getting my new card gave me a stroke and I was mistaken. I checked again, the 6+2 does not fit. The 6 pin part fits in the 8 pin connector but the +2 comes with 2 little boxed shaped connections. The 8 pin connector that came with the videocard (a Gigabyte GTX 580 Super Over Clocked card) comes with the last 2 pins as one boxed, the other a little upside down barn shaped plug (like a house shape with a little flattened roof).

It just wont fit.

Google shows me some posts from 2001 regarding the Ea-650 so I think I was wrong in thinking the PSU was new-ish. The design might be 10+ years old. I guess I'll be picking up a new PSU listed in the build thread. Can I assume that PSU will come with the correct 8 pin connector?

And since I'll be getting a new PSU, should I be looking at one over 750 watts? My system doesn't seem to be power hungry (maxing out, with all 4 HDs spun up at 485 watts). Is there any benefit for a super powerful PSU (I will not be SLI'ing this card) over than bragging rights?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The only reasons to get more Watts than you need are 1) to cover peak draws at start-up (which a good PSU can handle anyway) and 2) to load the PSU at about 50-60%, where PSUs are most efficient.

2) implies that if you get a PSU with too much headroom, you'll load it just an inefficiently as one that has very little headroom.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So... I've been struggling with my new laptop, and after reading some literature on anandtech and notebookcheck:

Does AMD's Switchable Graphics just not loving work?

If this is the case, how the hell do I just turn my Intel HD graphics off and turn my HD6750 on permanently?

I uninstalled a bunch of ~*~SAMSUNG~*~ nonsense with PC Decrapifier when I first fiddled with my PC, and updated my Catalyst Control Center. Did this throw things out of wack maybe?

Why the hell would a company ship a product with such a fundamental flaw? Or... am I just a sucker for buying it?

Any help would be appreciated.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

What were some of the earliest 4 socket capable Intel CPUs/Platforms? Pentium 3 based Xeon?
Earlier than that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Pro

E: Not sure if it's the first 4-socket capable chip, but it could be used in dual and quad-socket configurations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I was checking out this thread and I noticed everyone was using this crystaldiskinfo so I gave it a download and it's showing this now:

I checked out Google and it sent me here

it says that poo poo in red are "Potential indicators of imminent electromechanical failure" except I don't understand anything else it's saying, is my poo poo about to die? I seriously can't have this right now.

Edit: okay someone already asked this question. how the gently caress could these be failing the external is only like 9 months old and the 500 maybe a year and a half. will Western Digital warranty the drive for this? or do I have to wait till it completely dies

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 4, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Badmana posted:

And since I'll be getting a new PSU, should I be looking at one over 750 watts? My system doesn't seem to be power hungry (maxing out, with all 4 HDs spun up at 485 watts). Is there any benefit for a super powerful PSU (I will not be SLI'ing this card) over than bragging rights?
A 750W, good quality power supply should be considered a bare minimum. A system with a GTX 580 draws nearly 500W under load, yours will draw more since you have an overclocked videocard. This week you can get a Corsair TX850M with modular cables for $149.99-10% discount-$20 MIR=$114.99, which is a pretty good deal and about the most powerful power supply you can get before the prices get crazy high.

Stew Man Chew posted:

So... I've been struggling with my new laptop, and after reading some literature on anandtech and notebookcheck:

Does AMD's Switchable Graphics just not loving work?

If this is the case, how the hell do I just turn my Intel HD graphics off and turn my HD6750 on permanently?

I uninstalled a bunch of ~*~SAMSUNG~*~ nonsense with PC Decrapifier when I first fiddled with my PC, and updated my Catalyst Control Center. Did this throw things out of wack maybe?

Why the hell would a company ship a product with such a fundamental flaw? Or... am I just a sucker for buying it?

Any help would be appreciated.
AMD's switchable graphics isn't particularly good, no, (the only switchable graphics worth a poo poo is nVidia Optimus, but that only works on a limited selection of cards) but you definitely murdered any chance it had of working by removing the OEM software and installing the Catalyst drivers. Does your system have a switch on the case to enable/disable the dGPU? If not, and you don't see anything in the Catalyst Control Center (it has special options for notebook GPUs but I have a desktop Radeon so I'm not sure exactly where they are), it's probably controlled by some of the software you removed.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Edit: okay someone already asked this question. how the gently caress could these be failing the external is only like 9 months old and the 500 maybe a year and a half. will Western Digital warranty the drive for this? or do I have to wait till it completely dies
Yes, WD will replace those drives under warranty. There's no reason to be surprised by harddrives failing. Their failure rates are elevated when new because of defects and break-in failures, and at the 5 year mark their failure rates go through the roof as they wear out. Even a drive that lives through infancy can fail randomly at any point, which is why drive health monitoring is so important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

grumperfish posted:

Earlier than that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Pro

E: Not sure if it's the first 4-socket capable chip, but it could be used in dual and quad-socket configurations.

Ahh right. Hmm. I remember not seeing 4P for a while after the PPro though.

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like PII based Xeon which replaced PPro supported 4P from the get go.

Edit2:
So can someone explain to me how this P3 Xeon board:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P3/HE/S2QR6.cfm

Supports 16GB of memory when the P3 arch was 32bit? PAE?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 4, 2011

• Locked thread