Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

you ate my cat posted:

Help me buy food, please. Is there a rule of thumb for people to potatoes for mashed potatoes? How about people to amount of meat for something like a rib roast? I can wing portioning for everything else, but I'm cooking for 9 this weekend and I'd rather not end up with way too many potatoes or way too little roast.

For mashed potatoes, I've seen that a 5 lb bag comfortably will feed a family of 12, with leftovers (not many leftovers, but leftovers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

lefolieadeux posted:

My uncle made pickled apples from the tree in his backyard and gave me a jar. He added a cinnamon stick and they taste like...pickled apple pie. A strong and almost overwhelming vinegar aroma while the apples have the perfect texture and go great with the cinnamon.

I can't tell if I really like them or not, I'm confused.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to use them? I don't know, a pie or something?

Also I have similarly prepared pickled peaches from his backyard as well

You could also stick em in salads, or eat them as a condiment to meat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sjurygg posted:

Eat them with head cheese and bread.

Eat them with head cheese and sweetbreads.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I want me some fukkin sweetbread action next spring. Breaded, deep fried, mushrooms sautéed with lemon and parsley. Yessssssss

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

I've got a hankering for some ground beef tacos, but can't find any of those spice packets I always used in America. I live in Poland now. Besides the salt and pepper what can I throw at the meat to recreate that grocery store brand taco spice mix?

I know I should use a nicer cut of meat to make proper tacos, but I'm so insanely homesick I just want some lovely loving tacos. Promise to make some real food after I satisfy this hunger.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hussar posted:

I've got a hankering for some ground beef tacos, but can't find any of those spice packets I always used in America. I live in Poland now. Besides the salt and pepper what can I throw at the meat to recreate that grocery store brand taco spice mix?

I know I should use a nicer cut of meat to make proper tacos, but I'm so insanely homesick I just want some lovely loving tacos. Promise to make some real food after I satisfy this hunger.

Garlic, onion, cumin, chili powder, oregano. That's the stereotypical texmex spice mix.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Garlic, onion, cumin, chili powder, oregano. That's the stereotypical texmex spice mix.

One part each and go for it? I think I'm covered except for cumin and chili powder, awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Probably not just one part each. I dunno, make some and taste it and adjust. And cumin is incredibly common/popular, you'll be able to find it. I dunno about chili powder though.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah after running cumin through google translate I realized it's a fairly common spice here and I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on some generic chili powder easily. gently caress yeah, canceling all plans in favor of nostalgia taco night!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hussar posted:

Yeah after running cumin through google translate I realized it's a fairly common spice here and I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on some generic chili powder easily. gently caress yeah, canceling all plans in favor of nostalgia taco night!

Careful. You want kmin rzymski and not kminek. Kminek is caraway.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

They're both definitely available but yeah that's a good point to be aware of! Caraway is Different.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hussar posted:

One part each and go for it? I think I'm covered except for cumin and chili powder, awesome.

There are lots of recipes for this on the net, should give you a good guideline for ratios. ex: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/taco-seasoning-i/detail.aspx

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Careful. You want kmin rzymski and not kminek. Kminek is caraway.

Whoa. You just blew my mind. I will search accordingly. You Polish or just a master of spices?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hussar posted:

Whoa. You just blew my mind. I will search accordingly. You Polish or just a master of spices?

Wikipedia fu. I remembered reading that a lot of Europe uses similar names for the 2.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Wikipedia fu. I remembered reading that a lot of Europe uses similar names for the 2.

drat, I was hoping to meet a Polish culinary guide. Thanks for the help, tomorrow is tacos.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Hussar posted:

drat, I was hoping to meet a Polish culinary guide. Thanks for the help, tomorrow is tacos.

If it helps, there's two polish cookbooks in the free cookbook post I made. I haven't had a lot of time to really get into them but they seem pretty decent.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451507

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Decided to make pizza this weekend and that chorizo sausages would be the main ingredient. Now I need few suggestions what else should I use? Onions, blue cheese, olives or…?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

varjoankka posted:

Decided to make pizza this weekend and that chorizo sausages would be the main ingredient. Now I need few suggestions what else should I use? Onions, blue cheese, olives or…?

spanish or mexican chorizo? If mexican (admittedly, most likely): crumbled chorizo, salsa de guajillo, oaxaca cheese, fire roasted sliced poblano chile, topped with fresh chopped cilantro and crumbled cotija right out of the oven.

If spanish, light drizzle of olive oil, a blend of 75% manchego 25% mozz, sliced chorizo, roasted leeks, topped with chopped fresh parsley a light drizzle of homemade aioli, and a bit of fresh grated lemon zest right out of the oven.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

If spanish, light drizzle of olive oil, a blend of 75% manchego 25% mozz, sliced chorizo, roasted leeks, topped with chopped fresh parsley a light drizzle of homemade aioli, and a bit of fresh grated lemon zest right out of the oven.

I think I'll go with this one, with the expection of leek, I hate leek, everybody should hate leek.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

varjoankka posted:

I think I'll go with this one, with the expection of leek, I hate leek, everybody should hate leek.

Nay. Potato and leek soup with crumbled blue cheese and bacon is the food of the gods.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

varjoankka posted:

leeks are amazing you have bad opinions

also I have done pizza with caramelized onion, crumbled chorizo, havarti cheese and then crack some eggs right onto it and throw it in the oven. Eggs should come out sunny side up, you can throw some arugula or spinach or something on top after if you want for some greenery. I would definitely stay away from blue cheese + chorizo that sounds bizarro to me

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 2, 2011

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

pile of brown posted:

leeks are amazing you have bad opinions

also I have done pizza with caramelized onion, crumbled chorizo, havarti cheese and then crack some eggs right onto it and throw it in the oven. Eggs should come out sunny side up, you can throw some arugula or spinach or something on top after if you want for some greenery. I would definitely stay away from blue cheese + chorizo that sounds bizarro to me

How do you crumble chorizo? What kind of chorizo are you getting over there?

Your cheeseless pizza sounds bizzaro to me, you gotta at least put some sliced bocconcini on there

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Does anyone have that Hot Wing Sauce recipe that has been thrown around GWS? I made some a while ago, it was really delicious and I want to make some more. It was in the Hot Wings thread but I don't have archives to look it up. It's also not on the wiki. I think Iron Chef Ricola was the last person to post it- anyone care to help me out on this?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Hi food people. Food poisoning question! Apparently I left my leftovers on the counter last night instead of putting them in the fridge. My boyfriend found them this morning and just put them in the fridge without notifying me. I ate them - it was a chicken caesar salad. The fact that eating salad+dressing mushy leftovers is gross aside, what's my likelihood of puking uncontrollably today? Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
5:3 against

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

Hi food people. Food poisoning question! Apparently I left my leftovers on the counter last night instead of putting them in the fridge. My boyfriend found them this morning and just put them in the fridge without notifying me. I ate them - it was a chicken caesar salad. The fact that eating salad+dressing mushy leftovers is gross aside, what's my likelihood of puking uncontrollably today? Thanks!

If it's store-bought dressing, then there's 0 chance of actually hurting you. It's processed "mayo" full of preservatives and cooked chicken, you'll be fine.

Unless you made the dressing yourself, then you have raw eggs sitting outside all night, you should probably stock up on TP.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Does anyone have that Hot Wing Sauce recipe that has been thrown around GWS? I made some a while ago, it was really delicious and I want to make some more. It was in the Hot Wings thread but I don't have archives to look it up. It's also not on the wiki. I think Iron Chef Ricola was the last person to post it- anyone care to help me out on this?

If they're just basic buffalo wings, then you probably are looking at melting down about a stick of butter with a cup of Frank's Red Hot. I think the ratio I have written down somewhere for mild wings is 3oz butter :: 1/4 cup hot sauce. Scale to the amount of wings you're making, taste, and then adjust the hotness. Oh and add a pinch of salt + as much minced garlic as you find bearable (and then add more garlic) while that poo poo is simmering.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Thanks GWS, the tacos were just as Tex-Mexy as I remembered them.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Cowcatcher posted:

If it's store-bought dressing, then there's 0 chance of actually hurting you. It's processed "mayo" full of preservatives and cooked chicken, you'll be fine.

Unless you made the dressing yourself, then you have raw eggs sitting outside all night, you should probably stock up on TP.

Nah, from a restaurant (The Cheesecake Factory anyone happens to know if they make their own dressing which I doubt). I was mostly worried about the chicken, but yes it was cooked so I guess I'm good to go.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

varjoankka posted:

You are wrong. Leeks are awesome. Without the leek, that pizza will be unbalanced. Maybe grilled scallions? The idea is to be reminiscent of a calçotada. You are getting Spanish chorizo, not mexican chorizo right?

Cowcatcher posted:

Your cheeseless pizza sounds bizzaro to me, you gotta at least put some sliced bocconcini on there

Depends on the chorizo. Spanish chorizo is a dry cured spiced sausage similar to peperone and soppressata. Mexican chorizo is a fresh sausage, like a generic italian sausage you would get at a store. If you are in America and are casually perusing a grocery store, I'm about 95% sure you're talking about Mexican chorizo.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 2, 2011

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Depends on the chorizo. Spanish chorizo is a dry cured spiced sausage similar to peperone and soppressata. Mexican chorizo is a fresh sausage, like a generic italian sausage you would get at a store. If you are in America and are casually perusing a grocery store, I'm about 95% sure you're talking about Mexican chorizo.

Ahh I see. I'm in Canada, because of tons of Portuguese people in my area we only get (Portuguese-made) Spanish style chorizo, I've never seen the uncooked one for sale but now that you've mentioned it I do remember burrito shops use the softer variant

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

Ahh I see. I'm in Canada, because of tons of Portuguese people in my area we only get (Portuguese-made) Spanish style chorizo, I've never seen the uncooked one for sale but now that you've mentioned it I do remember burrito shops use the softer variant

I am jealous. Spanish/Portuguese style chorizo something you have to go out of your way to find here in Southern California. Mexican chorizo on the other hand is more prevalent than "breakfast" sausage.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

Usanian chorizo is basically spiced sausagemeat, it's not the cured Spanish sausage.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
If I want to make something like a traditional gravy when I'm doing poultry in the puddle machine, could I get away with using cold rendered duck fat instead of schmaltz off a roasted bird? I'm think something like roasting mirepoix in duck fat, adding flour to make a roux, cooking off the flour flavour, adding stock, simmer to reduce to the correct consistency.

Thing I'm worried about is that fat off a roasted bird will presumably contain a shitload of flavour from the roasting that cold rendered fat won't. What I'm wondering is if this is a make or break sort of thing, or if it'll still work. I mean I'm sure it'll mechanically work in the sense I'll get something that looks like a gravy. I'm just worried about the flavour.

When I'm smoking poultry and want traditional gravy I usually get a bunch of necks or something and roast them with the mirepoix and get the fat that way. But this past Thanksgiving I got to thinking that I pretty much always have a tub of duck fat in the fridge and I just can't get enough of fuckin' cooking in the puddle machine, so....

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Chicken's on sale this week, and I wish to make chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. Does anyone have a recipe for it they think is awesome? else, I'm divided between Ina Garten's recipe, or Smitten Kitchen.

And, what does one eat it with? Bread? Egg noodles?

Also taking suggestions for chicken based meals. I will be making curry and picatta for sure.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

pile of brown posted:

havarti cheese

some charred broccoli sounds awesome on there. honestly though the cheese was only even on there for the "MUST HAVE CHEESE ON PIZZA" effect, all the egg yolk all over everything made it plenty rich and moist

edit: just noticed that doesnt say broccolini, i'm tired.

40 cloves sides: chicken and garlic sounds like its begging for some kind of potatoes to sit on and drip garlicky juice into. other than that I'd want something pretty fresh and vegetable-y, light and green but still goes well with garlic, raw or lightly steamed veggies with a light, acidic dressing, like green beans with a squeeze of lemon or an arugula and radish salad with a light vinaigrette.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 3, 2011

HoBeau
Jan 17, 2008
La Beauté du Sinistré
Terribly stupid question ahead: how do I saunté onion correctly? They are either barely translucent or burnt and I can't figure out why. I am fairly sparse with oil or butter and I tend to cut them into larger pieces. Is it maybe the temperature?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

What texture are you after? If you want caramelized, that will take the better part of an hour to do correctly, with a lot of fat and low medium heat. If you want "sweated" then low medium heat and a bit of salt is what you need (the translucent ones you're getting).

rosewood
May 7, 2004
Shockaholic

squigadoo posted:

Chicken's on sale this week, and I wish to make chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. Does anyone have a recipe for it they think is awesome? else, I'm divided between Ina Garten's recipe, or Smitten Kitchen.

And, what does one eat it with? Bread? Egg noodles?

Also taking suggestions for chicken based meals. I will be making curry and picatta for sure.

I've only ever used Alton Brown's 40 Cloves and Chicken recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/40-cloves-and-a-chicken-recipe/index.html and everyone has always enjoyed it.

I've had others do 40 Cloves and Chicken before and they forget to serve the garlic cloves / bread. The roasted garlic is the best part about the dish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rosewood
May 7, 2004
Shockaholic

SubG posted:

If I want to make something like a traditional gravy when I'm doing poultry in the puddle machine, could I get away with using cold rendered duck fat instead of schmaltz off a roasted bird? I'm think something like roasting mirepoix in duck fat, adding flour to make a roux, cooking off the flour flavour, adding stock, simmer to reduce to the correct consistency.

Thing I'm worried about is that fat off a roasted bird will presumably contain a shitload of flavour from the roasting that cold rendered fat won't. What I'm wondering is if this is a make or break sort of thing, or if it'll still work. I mean I'm sure it'll mechanically work in the sense I'll get something that looks like a gravy. I'm just worried about the flavour.

When I'm smoking poultry and want traditional gravy I usually get a bunch of necks or something and roast them with the mirepoix and get the fat that way. But this past Thanksgiving I got to thinking that I pretty much always have a tub of duck fat in the fridge and I just can't get enough of fuckin' cooking in the puddle machine, so....

When I was playing with smoking and gravys and sauces I'd just take a little bread and dip it in the drippings/fat and taste it that way to get an idea of what it would do to the gravy. With a simple gravy (fat/flour/liquid) that always gave me a great idea of what the main flavor would be. But when I do more complex veggie gravies (in my head I call these british gravies) I've always found the fat to make way less of a difference in the final dish since all the caramelized carrots and onions and such are the main players.

To more directly answer your question, I've made many a gravy or sauce from roasted birds and they are delicious and I don't think they particularly overpower the gravy. They just add some of the meaty flavor to the gravy party.

But speaking of Tepid Water Machines

My wife says I can have one for Christmas. I've just been toying with the idea for a year now and I'll bring it up every so often but I always shoot it down because of the cost. Well now I have to decide if I want to get the Polyscience Immersion Circulator or the Sous Vide Supreme.

My kitchen isn't huge and counterspace is a premium. So if I go SVS I'll have to put it away and pull it out and that doesn't appeal to me. With the Circulator I can easily put that on the slide out drawer and the empty tub I can easily stash way up high. The vast majority of the time I'll be cooking for 2 adults and 2 kids, a lot of the time (once a week) I'll be cooking for 4 adults and 2 kids. But a few times a year I may be cooking for large parties. I'm having a hard time figuring out, for example, how many steaks you can cook in an SVS. Can you do a whole (chopped) turkey in an SVS?

PS - The Immersion is $800 - 20% off Dec 1-4 @ Williams-Sonoma. http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/135143_williamssonomaff2011.jpg and it comes with a tub and a stock pot and I need a new stock pot. So I'm looking at a $200 difference and I think that even if I just need the increased capacity once a year then that is worth it.

rosewood fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 3, 2011