Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

eddiewalker posted:

Its not connecting to Apple's servers. It's just another dictation app running on the Nuance engine, trying to cash in by looking like Siri.
Poor reporting job by Redmond Pie. :/.

That's what I figured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Corte posted:

Had to replace my iPad due to a hardware issue while under warranty, unfortunately the replacement sports the 4.3.5 firmware. I've tried a bunch of times to restore the device to various earlier versions that to jailbreak with no success.

I believe I have set the device in DFU, if iTunes is recognizing it as recovery mode is that DFU? I have edited the host file to direct to Saurik's server also before attempting to restore but it I receive the same 3194 error.

I'm now going to try the Redsn0w workaround to see if I have any luck.

I'm not mister JB Wiz or anything, but I believe if a DEVICE doesn't have an SHSH backed up, you're not going anywhere. It physically just won't let you install.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

I'm not mister JB Wiz or anything, but I believe if a DEVICE doesn't have an SHSH backed up, you're not going anywhere. It physically just won't let you install.

I found it all confusing myself but also came to that conclusion so bottom line is due to not backing up an SHSH on my previous iPad I have no recourse for setting it to earlier firmware. Tried running Redsn0w but no luck so far with that either. Cydia appears on my device now but unfortunately when I try to click on it the screen goes black then immediately back to the home screen.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Corte posted:

I found it all confusing myself but also came to that conclusion so bottom line is due to not backing up an SHSH on my previous iPad I have no recourse for setting it to earlier firmware. Tried running Redsn0w but no luck so far with that either. Cydia appears on my device now but unfortunately when I try to click on it the screen goes black then immediately back to the home screen.

If they replaced it then it doesn't matter if you saved the blobs from your previous iPad or not. All of that is unique to each device.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

You can. Just right-click on the device in iTunes and you can select 'Backup' from the drop down menu. It just won't backup automatically.

Thanks! I had completely forgotten about that.

Now if anyone happens to know of a jailbreak tweak to access the twitter/sharing menu from the lockscreen camera, I would be thrilled.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Uuudar posted:

If they replaced it then it doesn't matter if you saved the blobs from your previous iPad or not. All of that is unique to each device.
Good information to know, sorry if this is information readily available in the OP I've made an effort to read up but found myself scratching my head. So I should be getting TinyUmbrella and saving SHSH blobs as a precaution against future firmware updates that are difficult to jailbreak?

I've got Redsn0w to work with my iPad 4.3.5 firmware, unfortunately it is tethered and requires reapplication upon reboots. Hopefully a tetherless jailbreak pops up for 4.3.5 or 5 eventually.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
For SHSH backups, it can be simplified like this:

- Back up you SHSH blobs. (every time a new version of iOS is released)
- Currently, for 5.x, SHSH blobs cannot be used. (a method to spoof/force install hasn't been developed like for 3.x and 4.x)
- For iOS 3.x and iOS 4.x, SHSH blobs allowed you to install older versions of iOS any time you wanted*, even if Apple no longer approves them.
- SHSH blobs are simply a "permission slip" that Apple provides your device, which gives iTunes permission to install iOS on it. They are unique to each device. (they only work on the device they are *originally* from)
- You do not need to be running a particular version of iOS to back up the SHSH blob for it. For example, you could have 4.0.2 on your iPhone 4, never have upgraded past that, but still have queried Apple and backed up your 4.1, 4.2.1, and 4.3.3 SHSH blobs. Backups come from Apple, not your device**.

Expanded info:

The SHSH blob is a combination of your device's unique ID, plus a unique ID provided by Apple. Think of something like PGP. There is a secure key exchange. iTunes accepts this "blob" of data to securely communicate with your device and install software on it.
A "replay attack" is/was used for iOS 3.x and 4.x to force-feed this saved information into iTunes, which makes it think Apple is giving the OK to make the secure connection to your device and install software. That method does not currently work on the basebands for the A5 devices or with iOS 5.x on any device.

* For 3G iPad 2s, nothing is in place to allow an IPSW install with a non-Apple-signed baseband. Basically, when 5.0 was released, I think you could only install 4.3.x if the baseband part of the upgrade had not changed. The WiFi-only iPad 2 can freely move back and forth between 4.3.x and the current iOS (if you have your SHSH blobs backed up).
With iPhone 4S, there isn't anything possible to allow any IPSW installs at all (even if the baseband is still being signed).

** iFaith lets you rip a partial SHSH blob from your device of the currently-installed firmware, even if Apple is no longer signing that version of iOS.

Even though SHSH blobs from 5.x can't be used yet, this could change. So I would still back them up. Even though 3G iPad2s and 4S phones can't be downgraded at the moment, I would still back up your SHSH blobs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Xenomorph posted:

** iFaith lets you rip a partial SHSH blob from your device of the currently-installed firmware, even if Apple is no longer signing that version of iOS.
Wait, what does it mean to have a 'partial' SHSH blob? Would this let you restore to that iOS version or not?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

TACD posted:

Wait, what does it mean to have a 'partial' SHSH blob? Would this let you restore to that iOS version or not?

Yes it would. At least it worked fine on a friends 3GS when I used it a few months back.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Anyone run into an issue where iBooks immediately closes upon opening? I'm running firmware 4.3.5 using the Redsn0w jail break method. Currently I'm using the Kobo app as an alternative but am finding it sluggish and some of the ui elements annoying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does one of the later firmwares fix the massive drain on ipod 3GS w/ wireless? As soon as I turn wifi on, the whole thing lasts like an hour. If I turn wifi off, it lasts a more respectable few days.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I just took out my old iPod touch (MC008LL is the model #), which I believe is a 3rd Generation iPod Touch. It's got 32 gigs on it, and has a firmware of 3.1.2.

It's jailbroken, using blackra1n.exe, which is apparently tethered because I always have to re-run blackrain if I let it run out of juice.

What should I do with this thing? I certainly can't run an update on it, right? That would put me to a firmware that I probably couldn't jailbreak, right? I'd like to update it, but I'm not even sure what the furthest update it will accept. I very much doubt it goes up to 5.1 or whatever.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Chinook posted:

I just took out my old iPod touch (MC008LL is the model #), which I believe is a 3rd Generation iPod Touch. It's got 32 gigs on it, and has a firmware of 3.1.2.

It's jailbroken, using blackra1n.exe, which is apparently tethered because I always have to re-run blackrain if I let it run out of juice.

What should I do with this thing? I certainly can't run an update on it, right? That would put me to a firmware that I probably couldn't jailbreak, right? I'd like to update it, but I'm not even sure what the furthest update it will accept. I very much doubt it goes up to 5.1 or whatever.

3rd generation is a 3GS. It supports and runs 5.0 fine, mine has it on it. It can be tether jail broken.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Casao posted:

3rd generation is a 3GS. It supports and runs 5.0 fine, mine has it on it. It can be tether jail broken.

Great. So you suggest that I let it update fully? (i'm assuming it will want to go to 5.1)

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
I'm trying to jailbreak my iPhone 4 for the first time, iOS 5.0.1, but whenever I do so using redsn0w it just freezes as soon as it reaches the first 'wating for reboot' screen. Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I don't know if this means anything, but posted yesterday:

quote:

MuscleNerd
iPhone4S baseband bootrom now dumped :)

And from the 27th:

quote:

MuscleNerd
Crazy Thanksgiving weekend! Very promising 4S unlock (twitpic.com/7kku4t) is in the works (Not i4, just 4S..that's crazy part)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hopefully that's tied to a jailbreak. I miss my GV Extensions oh so much :smith:

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I got my 5.01 iPhone replaced this week and the new one came with 5.0 so :unsmith: Can't wait for jailbreak.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Biodome posted:

I got my 5.01 iPhone replaced this week and the new one came with 5.0 so :unsmith: Can't wait for jailbreak.

You say this as if to imply 5.01 can't be jailbroken..?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Chinook posted:

Great. So you suggest that I let it update fully? (i'm assuming it will want to go to 5.1)

5.0.1 is the latest, yes. It can be tether JB'd

Rick Rickshaw posted:

You say this as if to imply 5.01 can't be jailbroken..?

Nothing can be JB'd for the 4S yet, but 5.0.1 closed off at least one major security hole from 5.0 that JBers were looking at, and they recommended not upgrading to it for best chance of a 4S JB.

TrueWhore
Oct 1, 2000

I'm selling my 4S 64 GB AT&T phone which is still on 5.0.0 if anyone here is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3452430 Comes with AppleCare+ for free :)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Casao posted:

5.0.1 is the latest, yes. It can be tether JB'd

Okay, so I updated my iPod 3rd Gen to 5.0.1, and ran redsn0w, and this is the result:

What did I do wrong?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Chinook posted:

Okay, so I updated my iPod 3rd Gen to 5.0.1, and ran redsn0w, and this is the result:

What did I do wrong?

I think you have to point it at a 5.0.1 IPSW. I'll update and jb my touch when I get home tonight if that doesn't do it. - Yeah, 0.9.9b8 supports 5.0.1, but needs the IPSW because it doesn't store the link to 5.0.1 IPSW.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Casao posted:

I think you have to point it at a 5.0.1 IPSW. I'll update and jb my touch when I get home tonight if that doesn't do it. - Yeah, 0.9.9b8 supports 5.0.1, but needs the IPSW because it doesn't store the link to 5.0.1 IPSW.

Thank you. I have some googling to do.

edit: What I mean by that is that I don't know what a 5.0.1 IPSW is, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Thanks again for your help.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 2, 2011

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Does anyone know of a JB app that will override audio while playing a game? Example: I want to listen to the radio via Pocket Tunes, but if I open a game, it shuts down Pocket Tunes and the game background audio takes over.

Edit: this doesn't happen with all games.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 2, 2011

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Casao posted:

Actually, I dealt with this exact scenario last night. You update the iPod to 5.0.1, and then manually point redsn0w at 5.0 for the JB/boot. Works perfectly.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

G-Prime posted:

Actually, I dealt with this exact scenario last night. You update the iPod to 5.0.1, and then manually point redsn0w at 5.0 for the JB/boot. Works perfectly.

You can point it to the 5.0 IPSW (I had to do this last night too) or apparently the 5.0.1 beta IPSW, but not the 5.0.1 release IPSW.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

G-Prime posted:

I actually have been doing just that, and I keep getting the same error (and I'm apparently not alone, most of the comments on a few sites are people having this problem.)

Thought it would help to point it at a 5.0 IPSW, but it didn't. I still get the exact same error as I posted a few posts back. I'm running redsn0w 0.9.9b8 and my iPod Touch is 3rd Gen. :argh:

edit: I should clarify, though, that I can get it to point to the right IPSW, do the 'full jailbreak', and all kinds of code appears on my iPod screen, a pineapple with a progress bar, and so on. The end result is that I have a little white square icon that is labeled Cydia, which when activated makes a small white window start to open, and disappears. :(

Chinook fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 2, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Chinook posted:

I actually have been doing just that, and I keep getting the same error (and I'm apparently not alone, most of the comments on a few sites are people having this problem.)

Thought it would help to point it at a 5.0 IPSW, but it didn't. I still get the exact same error as I posted a few posts back. I'm running redsn0w 0.9.9b8 and my iPod Touch is 3rd Gen. :argh:

edit: I should clarify, though, that I can get it to point to the right IPSW, do the 'full jailbreak', and all kinds of code appears on my iPod screen, a pineapple with a progress bar, and so on. The end result is that I have a little white square icon that is labeled Cydia, which when activated makes a small white window start to open, and disappears. :(

Point it at the 5.0 IPSW a second time, shut the phone off, and choose 'Just Boot'.
While the phone will technically boot the first time after jailbreaking, Cydia won't work, and being a tethered JB, subsequent reboots not using redsn0w will result in your phone demanding to be connected to iTunes.

edit: There's a good chance I can't read and you're already doing what I'm saying, and if so I apologize.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Chinook posted:

I restarted my device to fix the white Cydia bug back in the day

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Fortis posted:

Point it at the 5.0 IPSW a second time, shut the phone off, and choose 'Just Boot'.
While the phone will technically boot the first time after jailbreaking, Cydia won't work, and being a tethered JB, subsequent reboots not using redsn0w will result in your phone demanding to be connected to iTunes.

edit: There's a good chance I can't read and you're already doing what I'm saying, and if so I apologize.

You wonderful gentlegoon. Thanks! It's working now. Time to do all kinds of fun things with my iPod Touch while I wait (impatiently) for someone to figure out how to jailbreak my iPad 2!

:love:

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I just used iFaith to build a shsh for 4.2.1 on my iPad1. This now allows me to update to 5.0.1, and if I don't like it, downgrade back to 4.2.1, correct?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Uuudar posted:

I just used iFaith to build a shsh for 4.2.1 on my iPad1. This now allows me to update to 5.0.1, and if I don't like it, downgrade back to 4.2.1, correct?

Note for others: This won't work with an ipad 2 as iFaith only supports certain devices!

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
So just to be sure my google fu has not failed me, iPhone 4s is not jailbreakable at this time?

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

gypsyshred posted:

So just to be sure my google fu has not failed me, iPhone 4s is not jailbreakable at this time?

It is not, however there have been several hints that it may be coming sooner rather than later.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

gypsyshred posted:

It's literally in the first line of the op :smith:

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

maduin posted:

It's literally in the first line of the op :smith:

Well the first line is IOS JAILBREAKING.

And yeah, I did see the second, I just wasn't sure if that info was up to date.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Foo. No buying an iPad 2 until 5.0.whatever is jailbroken.

In the meantime, I have an iPad 1 running a jailbroken 4.3.1, but the battery life seems to have pretty much gone to poo poo. I did this back in May or so, and I'm pretty sure I didn't save my SHSH. Is there any way to either "update" to 4.3.3 and jailbreak, or at least get to a "vanilla" jailbreak state with no apps or packages, but still jailbroken?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Foo. No buying an iPad 2 until 5.0.whatever is jailbroken.

In the meantime, I have an iPad 1 running a jailbroken 4.3.1, but the battery life seems to have pretty much gone to poo poo. I did this back in May or so, and I'm pretty sure I didn't save my SHSH. Is there any way to either "update" to 4.3.3 and jailbreak, or at least get to a "vanilla" jailbreak state with no apps or packages, but still jailbroken?
You might try using iFaith to extract the shsh from the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I bought an 8gb ipod touch. according to google, it's a 4th gen.

Unfortunately, the previous owner saw fit to update it just before he gave it to me, and it's now running ios 5.

It was never jailbroken before. Does having access to the computer that performed the update at all affect a possible downgrade, or will I have to do a tethered jailbreak / wait like everybody else?

• Locked thread