Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Aniki posted:

Yes, it does. Switching from FBV to standard sharpening or vice versa takes off more metal than sharpening the skate with the same method.

The guy at the shop told that it was a very small amount either way...but he was just some college kid and not the guy that actually cuts them.

Anyway, I'll probably try it out over the holidays when I don't have any league games for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
For the other captains out there, what do you when your players are accusing a teammate of being a dick? Would I better off pulling him aside with one of my assistant captains before our next game or would I be better off contacting him through email? I don't want to come off too hard on the guy right away, since I know that sometimes people can act aloof or like a dick and not be aware of it, but I guess his attitude is bothering quite a few players and I want to make sure that I am keeping everything fun for everyone.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

In person. You don't have to be harsh or punitive or whatever, but through an email is very impersonal and too formal for something as casual as a beer league.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I saw that my rink does the flat bottom now and was thinking of trying it out.

It's really not all that different. You just feel a little more sloppy at first, since the edges only really dig in when you're turning. The hardest part is trusting your edges. They're there, they just don't really engage as much when you're not turning. It's somewhat difficult to describe the difference because it's very minimal.

If you hate it, just go back and have 'em redo a standard round cut. Worst case, you're out an extra $5 (or whatever) and a tiny bit of steel.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
My buddy's men's league team has been sponsored by the Opera web browser:

http://my.opera.com/sitniks/blog/
http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2011/12/01_2/

It makes me kind of want to use Opera.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Green Submarine posted:

How the hell did that come about?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

I'm not sure of the details, but apparently one of the guys on the team got wind through some work people that Opera was in the market to sponsor a "Bad News Bears style team in the US or Russia," and figured a D-league US hockey team filled with Russians might pique their interest.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Gio posted:

In person. You don't have to be harsh or punitive or whatever, but through an email is very impersonal and too formal for something as casual as a beer league.

I can see that. I kind of suspect that he's a guy that played organized hockey as a kid and is having trouble adapting to playing hockey for fun, so I think he gets annoyed when players miss chances he sets them up with and he does a bad job hiding his frustration. I can understand that, so I guess I need to tell him to not take things too seriously, try to have fun, and open himself up to his teammates.

Green Submarine posted:

That's really cool, do any of the guys work for Opera or did they randomly approach Opera about a sponship?

I recently started using Opera again and I've been pretty impressed with it and its HTML5 support is a lot better than IE9 and Firefox whatever the Hell they are on now.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Aniki posted:

That's really cool, do any of the guys work for Opera or did they randomly approach Opera about a sponship?

I think one of the guys has a friend who works for Opera, but I'm operating on half-remembered testimony.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

Fingers McGee posted:

I have Supreme One 35's and they don't budge.

Have these too and they are awesome

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Aniki posted:

I can see that. I kind of suspect that he's a guy that played organized hockey as a kid and is having trouble adapting to playing hockey for fun, so I think he gets annoyed when players miss chances he sets them up with and he does a bad job hiding his frustration. I can understand that, so I guess I need to tell him to not take things too seriously, try to have fun, and open himself up to his teammates.
I'd leave out the part about other players thinking he's a dick, too. As far as he knows you're the one who noticed and felt you should bring it up.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Aniki posted:

For the other captains out there, what do you when your players are accusing a teammate of being a dick? Would I better off pulling him aside with one of my assistant captains before our next game or would I be better off contacting him through email? I don't want to come off too hard on the guy right away, since I know that sometimes people can act aloof or like a dick and not be aware of it, but I guess his attitude is bothering quite a few players and I want to make sure that I am keeping everything fun for everyone.

If something is becoming an issue, I'd pull him aside with one other captain and have a chat with him and let him know what the team is thinking. You don't want to let things fester. Guys don't battle for guys they don't like.

Don't attack him, just let him know where the guys are at. It's on him to see how he handles .

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
Does anyone know of a good video that gives advice on tipping pucks in the air? Or really just advice on it in general? Such as keeping the blade parallel to the ice, squatting down to keep the stick in your peripheral (like bunting in baseball), that sort of thing.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Are you trying to tip pucks already in the air or trying to lift the puck over the goalie?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bigmike posted:

If something is becoming an issue, I'd pull him aside with one other captain and have a chat with him and let him know what the team is thinking. You don't want to let things fester. Guys don't battle for guys they don't like.

Don't attack him, just let him know where the guys are at. It's on him to see how he handles .

That makes sense. I don't want to attack the guy, but when I get a bunch of other players complaining and threatening to not play with him, then I am pretty much forced to address it. I just want to let him know that his attitude is bothering the other players and ask him if there is anything I can do to improve the situation. If his attitude doesn't improve after that, then I may need to see about getting placed on another team. I'd prefer not to do that, since he is legitimately a good player, but if the guys don't battle for him and he makes the bench toxic, then I won't have much of a choice. This is definitely not my favorite part of being a captain, but I guess that I need to get used to it.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

robcat posted:

Does anyone know of a good video that gives advice on tipping pucks in the air? Or really just advice on it in general? Such as keeping the blade parallel to the ice, squatting down to keep the stick in your peripheral (like bunting in baseball), that sort of thing.

I think most of the advice on this issue boils down to: stand in front of the net and have someone shoot 500 pucks at you, preferably multiple times a week. It's more of an instinct/reaction thing than a technique thing.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

poser posted:

Are you trying to tip pucks already in the air or trying to lift the puck over the goalie?

Already in the air...pretty sure Green Submarine hit the nail on the head though, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just hit up a stick time and stand to the side of the net trying to tip everyone's shots. Works a bit better with no goalie. I'll sometimes do this, but I'm terrible at it.

Make sure you wear your cup.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Cup and face mask are both solid ideas if you're going to stand anywhere near where people are rifling shots.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Also, you will tip more pucks when listening to Iron Maiden.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm pretty bad at hockey but I can tip pucks out of the air pretty consistently. When I try to knock them down out of the air I hold my stick so the face of the blade is facing downwards and angled so I'm basically trying to glance a puck down so it hits the ice and bounces downwards. You don't want it to swat it like a bat though as that will just kill the pucks forward momentum. It just takes practice and good hand eye coordination.

The easiest way to tip the puck up is simply hold your stick on the ice and have the blade be a ramp so the puck just flies up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're going to tip pucks, make sure you can do it.

Nothing is more annoying that someone who stops a nicely placed low shot on net and potential meaty rebound by either stopping the puck completely or directing the puck into the corner.

At low levels of beer league I'd rather get people in front of the goalie like they're going to deflect but have them act as a screen, let the puck through and have your entire goal to be to keep the goalie from reacting.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

At low levels of beer league I'd rather get people in front of the goalie like they're going to deflect but have them act as a screen, let the puck through and have your entire goal to be to keep the goalie from reacting.

I get beat up every game playing near the net/setting up screens.. I will hear the goalie tell his team he didnt see anything but nobody ever thanks me:smith:

This is 140ish flex

poser fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 3, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If I was on your team I'd see it and buy you a beer for your trouble. People who screen goalies and successfully clear out rebounds are the under appreciated heroes of beer league hockey.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft

sellouts posted:

If I was on your team I'd see it and buy you a beer for your trouble. People who screen goalies and successfully clear out rebounds are the under appreciated heroes of beer league hockey.

I need to play with you then. All I get for my troubles are bruises from getting hit with pucks from standing in front of the net and slashes to the back of the knees from goalies. :(

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

poser posted:

I get beat up every game playing near the net/setting up screens.. I will hear the goalie tell his team he didnt see anything but nobody ever thanks me:smith:

This is 140ish flex

Somehow I can picture Chara using one of Krejci's sticks as a toothpick.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

sellouts posted:

Yup. You'll also get a ton of rebound chances.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I have 2 tip in goals this season so far. One of them was one of those that you see in the pros, where I tipped a shot that was about chest high down and beat the goalie 5 hole. The other was a redirect tip where the goalie was in the right position for the initial shot, and I tipped it so it beat him far side.

The key to getting better at it is practice practice practice, like everyone said. You can't be afraid to get hit by the puck either, that's why we wear all the gear, so pucks don't hurt as much. They still don't feel good when you get one in the stomach though.

In other news, I'm playing a game at the Tank tomorrow night. I love playing on NHL-quality ice, it's so much better than the practice ice.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

trilljester posted:

In other news, I'm playing a game at the Tank tomorrow night. I love playing on NHL-quality ice, it's so much better than the practice ice.

When I did this a couple weeks ago I think the ice was still better after 60 minutes of play than our normal rink ice is right after resurfacing.

Speaking of rebounds, I've had a lot of chances lately where I'm in front of the net and the goalie's down and I'm hacking at rebounds but I keep putting them right into the pads. What can I do to elevate the puck better, do I just need to angle my blade up some?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

When I did this a couple weeks ago I think the ice was still better after 60 minutes of play than our normal rink ice is right after resurfacing.

Speaking of rebounds, I've had a lot of chances lately where I'm in front of the net and the goalie's down and I'm hacking at rebounds but I keep putting them right into the pads. What can I do to elevate the puck better, do I just need to angle my blade up some?

Bend your knees.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just told my team over beers tonight after our win that I'll be moving up a league next season :smith:

We all came out of the same learn-to-play class, and we've stuck together ever since. We went from being bottom feeders in our Bronze (lowest) league to a top3 team this season. It amazes me at the progress we've made as a team. This is pretty much what made it so bitter-sweet. Sucks, but everyone was pretty positive about it. I only hope that my new team is half as awesome as the one I'm leaving.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just told my team over beers tonight after our win that I'll be moving up a league next season :smith:

Just told my team in the locker room last night that I'm moving across the country and had just played my last game :smith:

Sacramento area goons, beware.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
So I seem to bruise my palm area under my right index finger every time I play (I shoot left). I've tried putting more tape on the butt of the stick and that hasn't helped. Are there any gloves out there that have a little more padding on the palm side? I know this is probably unlikely but I figured I would see if anyone has any suggestions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

"I'm 6 feet from the net, who cares that they don't have goalie, only have 6 skaters and we're up 7. What am I supposed to do, not shoot??"

Yeah, kinda. Try passing. A lot.

Good thing we gave up 6 goals and made it a game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

So I seem to bruise my palm area under my right index finger every time I play (I shoot left). I've tried putting more tape on the butt of the stick and that hasn't helped. Are there any gloves out there that have a little more padding on the palm side? I know this is probably unlikely but I figured I would see if anyone has any suggestions.

How high up are you holding your stick? From where you bruised it, I don't grok how the butt comes into play at all.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

How high up are you holding your stick? From where you bruised it, I don't grok how the butt comes into play at all.

I'm not sure what you are asking. My right hand is at the end of the stick. I don't notice how high I hold it up. Just at the end of a game or something it's bruised/hurting. I think I hold it normally I don't choke up on the end or anything.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

In the last 4 games since buying new super-shinpads to protect my shins and knees, I have taken a shot to the underside of the foot, a shot off the ankle just below the shin pad, and a shot in the inner thigh.

:negative:

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Pleads posted:

I have taken a shot to the underside of the foot...

I can envision this in no way that is not hilarious.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Green Submarine posted:

I can envision this in no way that is not hilarious.

It was just a shot an inch or two off the ice that hit the underside of the outside of my skate right before the hard plastic of the blade holder.

It loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
That does not sound pleasant at all. Did you end up with a bruised foot?