Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can someone explain to me why people like homestuck? every time I've tried to read this I came away thinking

• Why the gently caress would I want to read chatlogs ever?
  • These pixel animations are somewhat neat, the art style seems alright
  • What the gently caress is with everyone shipping these characters??
  • I have no loving clue what's going on with anything, the plot seems inane.

Help?
  • Because they are written entertainingly.
  • This isn't a grievance so okay then.
  • Yeah this happens in pretty much every fandom, and not at all in this thread so...
  • Well early on the plot is really simple, how far did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can someone explain to me why people like homestuck? every time I've tried to read this I came away thinking

Help?

The chatlogs are pretty funny, think of them less as chatlogs and more of the characters having a conversation. Just sit down and force yourself to read a few of them. But yah, they do get pretty long, I don't blame you for seeing them and going "nope not reading that". It's one of the biggest hurdles of this comic.

Also you should avoid the fanbase like leprosy. They are all awful. And some of the plot can be confusing, especially when you get into the time travel stuff, which can be summed up in this page.

Or it may turn out that you simply don't like the comic. That's OK too, everyone has different tastes.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Waffnuffly posted:

People read Homestuck because it's long, complex, has great characters and character interactions, and has cool art and flashes and amazing music. The story is called Homestuck because the characters literally never leave their houses. At all. I mean not ever.

We start out with John in his room. He talks to his friends via chatlogs, because none of the characters in this story speak a single word. They literally talk solely through their computers in their homes (don't worry, we DO get to see out their windows sometimes).

Things start to happen. We meet other characters, see their houses, and get some of their personality. Rose and Dave, for instance. They live in totally different places, so even if they did leave home, they would never be able to reach each other in person in any practical way. So chat it is.

Conflict stirs. John has to go downstairs to get a game, but his dad is baking things. Baking. Isn't this enough for you? There's a loving guy cooking stuff in the god damned story, you should be strapped to your loving chair going "more more more" already. But it gets better. John fights his dad in this weird sort of way, then gets the game and goes back upstairs. Because, you know, never leaves the house.

The story has thousands of pages, tens of thousands of words, and all of it takes place from the homes of kids. That's basically why people read Homestuck; it simulates real life almost 100%.

This is the most accurate depiction of Homestuck that I have ever seen. Captures everything in the comic perfectly.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

The chatlogs really are great, and are probably the best part of the whole thing. The flash animations are fun, sure, but I certainly look forward to seeing more of the characters interacting. They're a joy to read and I get really excited when I see a pesterlog.

I have another friend that refuses to read more pesterlogs and I just don't understand why. Is it because chatlogs aren't usually fun to read in the non-fictional world? That was my reaction at first, I definitely skipped over a few of the early ones. But after reading some I got hopelessly hooked and started over to greedily snatch up the bits i'd missed!

Admiral Lasers fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

The chatlogs are pretty funny, think of them less as chatlogs and more of the characters having a conversation. Just sit down and force yourself to read a few of them. But yah, they do get pretty long, I don't blame you for seeing them and going "nope not reading that". It's one of the biggest hurdles of this comic.

Also you should avoid the fanbase like leprosy. They are all awful. And some of the plot can be confusing, especially when you get into the time travel stuff, which can be summed up in this page.

Or it may turn out that you simply don't like the comic. That's OK too, everyone has different tastes.

Thanks for the level-headed reply. The fans I've seen do seem pretty insane which tends to turn me off from everything, legitimate or not.

Though to be honest yeah that's my reaction when I see chatlogs. Too much experience with goon chatlogs :v: and personal time spent on IRC lead me to go "huh, tl;dr. I'd rather this conversation was drawn, as is what I would kind of expect from a webcomic"

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Yeah, I can see not liking the chatlogs because of the typing quirks, but otherwise it's basically just word balloons taken off the panel and placed underneath instead.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"huh, tl;dr. I'd rather this conversation was drawn, as is what I would kind of expect from a webcomic"

It should be noted that basically the entire point of Homestuck is to be what you don't expect from a webcomic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Though to be honest yeah that's my reaction when I see chatlogs. Too much experience with goon chatlogs :v: and personal time spent on IRC lead me to go "huh, tl;dr. I'd rather this conversation was drawn, as is what I would kind of expect from a webcomic"

It's definitely weird and different and takes a lot of getting used to, so you're not alone on that count. It's basically a giant running experiment and there are a lot of unusual and sometimes quite innovative ways of presenting content to the reader--most of the cooler ones admittedly buried much later in the story--and I think it's interesting on that count alone even disregarding the story (I do like the story and characters too, but they took a little while to start growing on me for their own sake.)

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A lot of people react like that. And honestly the chatlogs are at their worst when Act 5-1 rolls around, but if you can muddle through it, particularly the more insufferable of the typing quirks, I think you'll find that the dialogue is pretty well-written.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

A lot of people react like that. And honestly the chatlogs are at their worst when Act 5-1 rolls around, but if you can muddle through it, particularly the more insufferable of the typing quirks, I think you'll find that the dialogue is pretty well-written.
While some of the typing quirks are pretty annoying, they do actually give you an idea of how the characters sound.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Alright, headcanon personal preference time. Whose voice do you hear given a specific character's dialog?

Me? I hear Doc Scratch speaking like Hades (Disney) and John sounding like this.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?
Honestly, I'd say the biggest flaw in Homestuck is that Andrew Hussie sometimes doesn't know how to end plot threads satisfyingly or how prevent mood whiplash from killing all dramatic tension.

Act 5 Part 2 was basically gigantic wasted potential that, while still ending okay, left a lot to be desired from what was built up.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Level Slide posted:

Alright, headcanon personal preference time. Whose voice do you hear given a specific character's dialog?

Me? I hear Doc Scratch speaking like Hades (Disney) and John sounding like this.

Gilbert Gottfried as Terezi

GILBERT GOTTFRIED AS TEREZI

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Dolash posted:

Gilbert Gottfried as Terezi

GILBERT GOTTFRIED AS TEREZI

It totally works :stare:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Level Slide posted:

John and Dave. There's no question here.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I read Doc Scratch's narration in Rod Serling's voice. Somehow it fits.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Level Slide posted:

Ooh, I love this game.
I always imagine Karkat with the voice of Domon from G-Gundam, and John with the voice of Finn from Adventure Time. Doc Scratch sounds like Fuhrer Bradley/Wrath from Fullmetal Alchemist. Eridan sounds like Dexter (no, the other one).

And, of course, Terezi sounds like Gilbert Gottfried.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Not sure about Dave, but that's more or less how I figured John sounded.

But the only true Karkat voice is the Karkat from The Baby Is You.

EDIT: Well, how about that, an unfinished sequel to The Baby Is You... :sbahj:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 2, 2011

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Karkat.

This is seriously perfect.

Also, Vriska. (And Tavros as well why the hell not).

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Roger Explosion posted:

Karkat.

this is exactly my headcanon karkat voice.

this one is perfect

snucks fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 2, 2011

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Roger Explosion posted:

Karkat.

I watched every second of this.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

In my mind, Karkat is an angry cockney lad.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Roger Explosion posted:

Also, Vriska. (And Tavros as well why the hell not).

That channel also has the perfect Equius voice.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

voting third party posted:

oh holy poo poo I've always read his stuff with Piccolo's voice, which apparently is the exact loving same as Nathan Explosion's voice

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?
Guys, everyone knows these are the perfect voiceovers for John, Rose and Dave.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roger Explosion posted:

Karkat.

This is the one true Karkat.

For some reason fan-recordings always make him sound like a thirty-year smoker or something, but this video has all the right qualities - plain, kind of reedy, but totally inexhaustible, to the point where all the angry words just kind of blend together into a giant homogeneous block of vitriol.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

voting third party posted:

The Sollux voice in the second video is great too.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

The Sollux voice in the second video is great too.

Vriska sounds like a male German.

Best fit ever.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

This is probably my favorite Eridan voice.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Roger Explosion posted:

Karkat.

Yes. This. Seriously give this man a job I think we have a show here.

Also Tavros is Takato from Digimon Tamers (english version) in my head.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Roger Explosion posted:

Karkat.

Normally, I can't stand any attempt to give Homestuck characters voices. Won't listen to any of the songs from bandcamp where the characters sing and I never agree with anyone who says "So and so totally sounds like this."

Until right loving now. LtMKilla as Karkat is a perfect goddamn fit and I love it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Supercar Gautier posted:

Everyone wondering how Homestuck can exist in book form is going to feel a little silly when they open it up and go "Oh, right, it's mostly static images and text."

That's really more of a graphic novel, to me.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

This is the one true Karkat.

For some reason fan-recordings always make him sound like a thirty-year smoker or something, but this video has all the right qualities - plain, kind of reedy, but totally inexhaustible, to the point where all the angry words just kind of blend together into a giant homogeneous block of vitriol.

I think this works well because this ISN'T a fan recording. LtMKilla is a real person who really does hate Facebook.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Help?

Two and three are kind of irrelevant so I'm just going to address one and four.

1. Because they're well written. The characters are witty and their interactions are fun. If you don't read the chatlogs then...

4. You will definitely never have any idea what the gently caress is going on. Ever. You also just need to pay attention in general. As Hussie once said, he aspires to make MSPA to an extent a story that is also a puzzle. There is an insane amount of detail here if you bother to look for it. That's part of the fun of MSPA, if you aren't interested in seeing how all this madness fits together then you're not going to get much out of it. I enjoy the mysteries, the red herrings, and the legitimate clues and trying to decipher (sometimes correctly, sometimes not) which is which. It's a lot of fun.

All that being said I'll be the first to admit Act 1 is pretty slow starting and a little dull. It gets a lot better.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 2, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I think this works well because this ISN'T a fan recording. LtMKilla is a real person who really does hate Facebook.

I know, which makes this even more of a beautiful coincidence.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Here's a (kind of lovely) picture of Homestuck book one's cover for those curious.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Boneless Jogger posted:

Here's a (kind of lovely) picture of Homestuck book one's cover for those curious.

Crack open a page and take a picture of the ~in~siiiiide.

I mean, providing that doesn't get you into trouble I guess.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Crack open a page and take a picture of the ~in~siiiiide.

I mean, providing that doesn't get you into trouble I guess.

I wasn't the one who took that pic. :ssh:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Thanks for the level-headed reply. The fans I've seen do seem pretty insane which tends to turn me off from everything, legitimate or not.

Not sure if you're still reading people's responses, but yeah. That's basically why I don't really like to call Homestuck a comic. It's so completely different in so many different ways. You have the chatlogs, which are characters talking to each other extensively basically through MSN, you have fully-scored animated sequences, and you have interactive flashes. It's sequential media, but I really hesitate to call it a comic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Roger Explosion posted:

Also, Vriska.
Wow, Vriska totally works as a sassy black girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Gamzee is has the Steve Blum Voice, switching between Stoned Steve Blum Voice and Menacing Steve Blum Voice. Everyone else still sounds like kids.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 2, 2011