Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Looks to me like the sword cut him away from the floor and the sudden shift to three dimensions is making him feel a little sick.

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Poor Parley, I don't think she's going to be able to handle a sword for a while.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Great idea, Annie. This went super. :stare:

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
:stonk: to the max with this update.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think it's pretty touching that a creation of the Court and a creation of the Forest have such a close bond with each other :shobon:

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Brannock posted:

I think it's pretty touching that a creation of the Court and a creation of the Forest have such a close bond with each other :shobon:

I know! Makes it all the more :smith:.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Brannock posted:

Maybe Coyote's plan was to sow dissent. After all, the sword cut Robot like warm butter but can't seem to injure a resident of the Forest.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I don't get why people are so freaking out about this so much. From what we've seen I doubt Robot can even be "hurt" unless he suffers damage to the chip housing his CPU/Memory. Physical damage to his body is just an inconvenience.

Shadow 2 on the other hand...is it three-dimensional in that last panel? :stare:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Oneiros posted:

I don't get why people are so freaking out about this so much. From what we've seen I doubt Robot can even be "hurt" unless he suffers damage to the chip housing his CPU/Memory. Physical damage to his body is just an inconvenience.

Shadow 2 on the other hand...is it three-dimensional in that last panel? :stare:

With Tom's comment on this page, that's what I assumed was happening.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Guessing it actually sends Ysengrim off the deep end when they take Shadow 2 back to the forest, Annie refuses to tell him about the sword, and he assumes the Court just came up with a weapon to kill forest creatures.

Nah, the court can already do that. Remember Eglamore's sword?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As a side note, I love the new winter layout, especially with the slight visual distortion it creates! (looks like the snowflakes are rotating out of the corner of my eye)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Esme posted:

Nah, the court can already do that. Remember Eglamore's sword?

See, I assumed the light killed that Shadowman, rather than the sword. Without a shadow to hide in, he had no resistance against it.

Fren posted:

Maybe Coyote's plan was to sow dissent. After all, the sword cut Robot like warm butter but can't seem to injure a resident of the Forest.

I'm not even sure Coyote is the "planning" type! He strikes me more as the "come up with a plan, abandon it halfway through when he thinks of a 'better' one" type. My impression is that while some Coyote stories are about him outsmarting other gods and creatures, some are also about normal people outsmarting him!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bobulus posted:

See, I assumed the light killed that Shadowman, rather than the sword. Without a shadow to hide in, he had no resistance against it.

I had to stare at the page for ages, but I *think* the light is cast by the actual sword. It doesn't seem to be coming from the lamps, it's the wrong angle and shape. I guess at this point we don't know if it's special shadow killing sword light, or if any old light would do the job

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Fatkraken posted:

In unrelated news, someone made a dating sim Kat can play

http://clione.halfmoon.jp/hatoful-boyfriend/index.html

Fixed that for you. (In case anyone's wondering, the game is a dating sim about a human girl who disguises herself as a bird so she can attend a prestigious all-birds school. Yeeeeeah.)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fatkraken posted:

I had to stare at the page for ages, but I *think* the light is cast by the actual sword. It doesn't seem to be coming from the lamps, it's the wrong angle and shape. I guess at this point we don't know if it's special shadow killing sword light, or if any old light would do the job

The shadow-men can only survive if there is a shadow for them to be attached to - in this case, the shadow under Robot's feet. That's what all the lights on the bridge are for - to eliminate shadows for them to hop between. So when Robot is lifted entirely off the ground, Shadow 3 has no shadow to be connected to, and hence he dissipates.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 2, 2011

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DontMockMySmock posted:

The shadow-men can only survive if there is a shadow for them to be attached to - in this case, the shadow under Robot's feet. That's what all the lights on the bridge are for - to eliminate shadows for them to hop between. So when Robot is lifted entirely off the ground, Shadow 2 has no shadow to be connected to, and hence he dissipates momentarily.

?

Isn't the shadow in that page a DIFFERENT shadow, which is killed by the light/sword/whatever?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

FredMSloniker posted:

Fixed that for you. (In case anyone's wondering, the game is a dating sim about a human girl who disguises herself as a bird so she can attend a prestigious all-birds school. Yeeeeeah.)

Someone on another forum I read is LPing that right now. She got killed and dismembered by the creepy doctor-bird. :stare:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fatkraken posted:

?

Isn't the shadow in that page a DIFFERENT shadow, which is killed by the light/sword/whatever?

Okay, yeah, I said "Shadow 2" but you find out in the next chapter that it was actually a different shadow-man. I'm gonna call him Shadow 3. RIP, poor shadow 3.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

?

Yeah that wasn't Shadow 2, it was some bad mean shadow dude.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

FredMSloniker posted:

This sounds incredibly stupid and yet I want to try it out.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

Haha, geez, Japan has some of the oddest things. :allears:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Heliotrope posted:

This sounds incredibly stupid and yet I want to try it out.

found via this comic

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/970

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Pretty off topic guys!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In all fairness the main topic is a bit :ohdear: right now. Dammit Monday come faster (but don't because my weekeeeend)

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

"@gunnerkrigg posted:

Look at this electron microscope picture of a sea worm: http://twitpic.com/7o3zmj

This chapter (chpt 36) has been the most fun to draw.

Hoping these two tweets are related. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know if I should be excited for or afraid of what's coming in today's update.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

I think the new update is worth a sigh of relief.

I... kind of hope Shadow 2 can stay in the third dimension. I'd bet he'd like it, if he can get used to it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As frightening and worrisome as the situation obviously is it still doesn't seem anywhere near as bad a result as dropping the insanely sharp blade that is also the tooth of an unpredictable trickster god could have led to.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh good. He looks a little weird but looks like he'll be okay.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm curious as to what's going on at his base. In the past, shadows have died if they weren't connected to anything, but obviously the normal rules aren't applying here.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This makes sense. I think Coyote would find it much funnier to suddenly give a shadow a third dimension than he would to just kill it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Honesty, its about time he was given a bit of depth.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Honesty, its about time he was given a bit of depth.

Perfection.

Also, I didn't realize at first why Kat was asking Parley to take them all to her workship - I mean, what, is everyone so distraught they can't walk themselves? Then I saw the last panel and felt really really dumb, and also excited. Group teleporting? Now that would be fun. Well, as long as it doesn't end up like The Fly.

[edit] vvv Of course. I don't actually consider something like that even possible in this comic :v:

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 5, 2011

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The way Jones explained, George's unique talent allows her to distort time and space; a "Fly scenario" would require dismemberment/rearranging of matter, it's teleporting, but different.
:goonsay:

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Another reason they didn't just walk, is that the Court is big. No, really big. Some shots have made it appear to be as large as a metropolitan city. And yeah, I think they are quite distraught as well. Kat and Annie aren't showing it as much, because they don't want to upset Parley even further.

Edit: Here's a good page to show how vast the Court really is: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=149

Madrox fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 5, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Madrox posted:

Edit: Here's a good page to show how vast the Court really is: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=149

Or, hell, the second panel here dwarfs even that view.

At this point I'm pretty sure the Court is slowly building itself and spreading like some kind of crazy seed-bismuth fueled mould.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I wonder if we'll ever get a satellite view of the court. That would be awesome (although it would probably take forever to draw, even if sourced from a real photo).

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It seems sort of significant that the Court, forest, and river have all been treated as effectively infinite, with no boundaries or clear relation to the outside world or internal geography beyond the small portion given over to the boarding school. Defining it that way would sort of run against the mystery. I really don't think it's going to come up in next chapter that oh yeah the Court is twelve miles across, shaped sort of like an egg and up the M62 north of Manchester

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It seems sort of significant that the Court, forest, and river have all been treated as effectively infinite, with no boundaries or clear relation to the outside world or internal geography beyond the small portion given over to the boarding school. Defining it that way would sort of run against the mystery. I really don't think it's going to come up in next chapter that oh yeah the Court is twelve miles across, shaped sort of like an egg and up the M62 north of Manchester

True, and clearly a good design decision for the story. But considering Kat's been on vacation elsewhere in the world, I think we can at least assume it isn't this all-encompassing mass of urban jungle. Not yet at least!

The more I think about this kind of stuff, the more curious I get about the unspoken details and hints we've gotten so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Yeah people come and go but you're never given any suggestion as to how. I mean, hell, look at Antimony, she just kind of... shows up there.

May be notable that it's also not the only creepy technomagical cityscape with no defined physical properties people just kinda pop into and out of within the story.
()

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 5, 2011