Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

weapey posted:

Amazon UK have Adobe Lightroom 3.0 for £119 (44% saving) in the Black Friday sales, starting in about half an hour.

edit: God, they went quick.
You've got to be fast, like me. Just got some Black Friday dog food. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I did a re-edit of a shot I posted a while back. Here is what I posted

And here is the re-edit

In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion by iantuten, on Flickr

I'm still not happy with the lighting, but I'm feeling MUCH more comfortable working with color balance now. MUCH happier with the color.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of prefer the original. Feels like you cranked up the blue a little too much on the edit. Plus the colours on whatever is behind her (window?) feel more distracting now. Just my two cents though.

I'm also not calibrated and on the World's Worst Monitor(tm), so that might be why.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Martytoof posted:

I'm also not calibrated and on the World's Worst Monitor(tm), so that might be why.

So am I \/ :) \/ mostly just dicking around at work.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Note to self: wait until Black Friday next year before buying any Nik Software

http://www.niksoftware.com/welcome/blackfriday/usa/entry.php

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

Note to self: wait until Black Friday next year before buying any Nik Software

http://www.niksoftware.com/welcome/blackfriday/usa/entry.php

US Only? That's not cool. :(

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Danoss posted:

Everything's US only...I was all excited that I could get Adorama lighting stuff for really cheap and then I factored in shipping and that alone pushed the cost to more than local stuff. Not to mention I'd probably have to pay customs/import fees.

It also drives me nuts whenever someone points me to the Canon loyalty program...I want to make use of it so bad, but it's not available to us Northern folk.

I feel like I should go out and buy a 5dmk2 just to say I got the deal for once...haha.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Danoss posted:

Aw sorry, I didn't even think to check. I'm in Canada too, but bought them with a Google'd coupon some time ago.

Bright side is the coupons work on upgrades too.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

DSC_0488 by wholesome_, on Flickr

I have this shot, but there is horrible flare/glare. Can I fix this?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Crop it? Try shooting with the sun just outside the frame next time.

edit: Wait, didn't see that rainbow flare near the pole. Best you could hope for is maybe patch tool or copy/pasting a clean patch of water and blending it in.

scottch fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 25, 2011

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Here's what I would do. I grabbed the full size from Flickr.

First I converted to LAB mode and used dodge and burn on the luminosity channel. Both were set to about 10%. Burn was set to midtones to darken the area, Dodge set to shadows to brighten the overly dark areas after burning. It takes a little bit of back and forth between the two to get it looking natural.

Next I worked independently on both of the the two color channels using clone stamp to steal the color directly from the right of the flare, and smudge to wipe out any of the remaining orange highlights that were cloned in.

The problem is that now the highlights on the water are now blue instead of orange. I used a maxed out photo filter adjustment layer (with orange picked from the original highlights) on a duplicate of the image, then manually painted a mask to only let the newly orange highlights through. Then I used selective color on the whites of the duplicated image to make the blown out highlights more orange, to match the original. There is probably a better way to automate the masking process using apply image, but I couldn't think of it.

http://i.imgur.com/ZspdQ.jpg

EDIT: Whoops, totally forgot about the purple spot, and the little blips in the sky. I used the color replacement tool and a tiny bit of burning for that. Imgur is resizing the image, so the tiff is uploaded here, password: somethingawful

Coughing-up Tweed fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 25, 2011

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Wow, that was an excellent guide. Thanks!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Lightroom 3 is $90 in Amazon lightning deals right now. Good luck :)

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Does anyone know a way in lightroom to create a preset that basically works like a filter? Like if I know to get what I see on my monitor to match my printing service I need to say, take down brightness 10 ticks and bump contrast 10 ticks... from whatever brightness and contrast I've already set... how do I do that? I know of presets, but those are kind of moronic in this regard and the publishing services don't seem to have any kind of wholesale "Oh hey these are going to Mpix so I need to make these alterations on all the shots".

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Dust spots removed with Spot Healing tool on a new layer, then clone stamped the flare. With water that's easy and only takes 10 seconds.
For the purple glare on top I used the same technique as Tweed- gentle application of the Burn tool on A channel in LAB.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Is The Creative Digital Darkroom still the consensus for best/very good introductory book to Photoshop/Lightroom effects?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

What's the easiest way to take everything in lightroom, back it up to an external drive and then reimport it into another install of lightroom? I want to do a fresh install of os x on my macbook pro and want to backup all my pics to an external then reimport them all into the new install.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mattfl posted:

What's the easiest way to take everything in lightroom, back it up to an external drive and then reimport it into another install of lightroom? I want to do a fresh install of os x on my macbook pro and want to backup all my pics to an external then reimport them all into the new install.
You don't export/ reimport poo poo. Just move it, then back and open it. Be mindful to set it as default catalog on the new install, and you're done.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 29, 2011

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You don't export/ reimport poo poo. Just move it back and open it. Be mindful to set it as default catalog on the new install, and you're done.

So basically I can drag my Pictures folder which has everything in it onto my external, and then redrag that pictures folder back after the reinstall?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mattfl posted:

So basically I can drag my Pictures folder which has everything in it onto my external, and then redrag that pictures folder back after the reinstall?

Yep.

If for some reason you don't want to do that (for example, merging two collections of photos from separate installs of Lightroom) the catalog import/export feature is the "supported" method of moving pictures around.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yep.

If for some reason you don't want to do that (for example, merging two collections of photos from separate installs of Lightroom) the catalog import/export feature is the "supported" method of moving pictures around.

Thanks guys. Moving Pictures folder onto external drive now, 1 hour remaining!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Be careful that you save a copy of your catalog too, this is the LRCAT file. Otherwise all you'll be left with is the original photos, none of the edits.
e: at least that's how I think it works..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

yeah import/export is best for merging/splitting catalogs.

The classic use case is exporting an empty folder (to get tags into a fresh catalog) then reimporting it with a shoot's/trip's worth of stuff. Tag while you wait at the airport 8D

Saint Fu posted:

Be careful that you save a copy of your catalog too, this is the LRCAT file. Otherwise all you'll be left with is the original photos, none of the edits.
e: at least that's how I think it works..
It is, but LR3 keeps it's stuff in your ~/Pictures folder. So if he keeps his originals there too he can just grab the whole thing and go.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 29, 2011

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

yeah import/export is best for merging/splitting catalogs.

The classic use case is exporting an empty folder (to get tags into a fresh catalog) then reimporting it with a shoot's/trip's worth of stuff. Tag while you wait at the airport 8D

It is, but LR3 keeps it's stuff in your ~/Pictures folder. So if he keeps his originals there too he can just grab the whole thing and go.

Ya that's mainly what I was concerned with loosing, all the edits/changes to my pics. I'll make sure to make an extra copy of the catalog file as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mattfl posted:

Ya that's mainly what I was concerned with loosing, all the edits/changes to my pics. I'll make sure to make an extra copy of the catalog file as well.

The catalog files are actually the things Lightroom nags you to back up once every week, so you probably already have several copies of it sitting somewhere.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I've never really been happy with my RAW noise reduction talent using Lightroom. I understand why my RAW pictures are more noisy than the corresponding JPEGs, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get the noise reduced enough to match the JPEGs.

Any hints?

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
use Dfine from Nik software - it's great.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mathturbator posted:

I understand why my RAW pictures are more noisy than the corresponding JPEGs

Why is this?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mathturbator posted:

I understand why my RAW pictures are more noisy than the corresponding JPEGs, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get the noise reduced enough to match the JPEGs.

Any hints?

I don't think they should be, LR3 is a lot better at noise reduction than the in built jpeg solution. Are you saying that if you do raw+jpeg capture, import the raw into LR, perform noise reduction and export a jpeg, that the lightroom edited capture will be more noisy --with no other editing performed?

That seems contradictory to what I've experienced, and what I believe to be true about in camera processing.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
No, I mean that when I import a RAW file, process it and compare the results to the sooc JPEG file, the JPEG always looks cleaner, with less noise. I either overdo or underdo (is that a word?) the NR in Lightroom.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Mathturbator posted:

No, I mean that when I import a RAW file, process it and compare the results to the sooc JPEG file, the JPEG always looks cleaner, with less noise.

That shouldn't be the case. Since version 3 the noise reduction in LR has gotten really, really good.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Cross_ posted:

That shouldn't be the case. Since version 3 the noise reduction in LR has gotten really, really good.
Yeah, so the problem is me. Any guides on how to improve? Recommended books?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

The catalog files are actually the things Lightroom nags you to back up once every week, so you probably already have several copies of it sitting somewhere.
It'll happily let you "back" them "up" to the same physical device.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

It'll happily let you "back" them "up" to the same physical device.

Well, it's still technically a backup. But it's more a defense against file corruption or accidental deletion than hardware failure.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well, it's still technically a backup. But it's more a defense against file corruption or accidental deletion than hardware failure.
It's technically backup theatrics. Helpful if you corrupt your working catalog somehow (but then you'd better have a good file layout to figure out what you need to reimport).

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I have a panorama.

obviously, as this is a composite, we're going to have the white balance all over the place, how do I best blend the yellow lights on the left with the blue/white on the right?

next, the distortion on the bridge feels awkward and I feel the photo is a better shot with the Brooklyn cropped partway on the span. Aye? Where would be an ideal spot to maintain the balance with the opposite bridge on the left?

how do I reduce the blown out/overexposed window lights on some of the faraway buildings?

there's a pretty nasty stitching remnant in the water between the first third and the second third of the photo. this should be a simple clone stamp?

also, loving color profiles, how do they work? :confused:

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 2, 2011

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Why not fix the white balance in the individual photos before you blend them?

Adjusting exposure should allow you to get the highlights where you want them to be. It's possible that you'll need to combine multiple exposures in photoshop using masking, etc.

Your cropped version is fine.

I don't think I can see the stitching remnant though I'm not looking at the full size version... yes, use a clone stamp or the heal brush.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I was masking a very complex object (bird with tons of stray feathers everywhere) with the intention of doing severe noise reduction on the background but not the bird. When I applied the NR I noticed I had botched my mask in a couple of spots and I need to go back and unmask certain areas. How can I do this? I have a layer with the bird shape completely masked out.

I have a feeling I'm missing something easy.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

InternetJunky posted:

I was masking a very complex object (bird with tons of stray feathers everywhere) with the intention of doing severe noise reduction on the background but not the bird. When I applied the NR I noticed I had botched my mask in a couple of spots and I need to go back and unmask certain areas. How can I do this? I have a layer with the bird shape completely masked out.

I have a feeling I'm missing something easy.

Paint over the masked area that you want unmasked (on the mask layer) with a white brush? I'm not super familiar with PS, but that's how I "erase" masked areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I feel like a retard, but I think I really need someone to dumb down how to mask properly. If there's a clear delineation between foreground and background I have no problem, but if there's not I'm in trouble.

Below is my picture straight of the camera. I want to do much different processing on the eagle than the background, so I want to create a separate layer with just the eagle and another with the background. The problem is the high noise in the image:

Trying to select the eagle is difficult because there are lots of areas where there is no clear boundary between the eagle feathers and the background. Magic wand is useless for selecting these areas.

How would the rest of you pick out just the eagle? Paint the mask manually by painting over each individual feather? It would take me hours for just one picture, but if that's the only way I don't mind. I just feel like I'm missing something that might make this easier. Also, what kind of brush setting do you use when painting the mask (specifically the hardness setting)?

Any tips/advice would be most appreciated.

• Locked thread