Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-20233217-L015A

$189 (today at 12PM EST) for 2x8GB RAM

Now it begins with everyone sticking 16GB in their Macbook Pros...

If it was closer to $100 I would. For now $38 for 8gb is good enough :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

ReidStylez posted:

If it was closer to $100 I would. For now $38 for 8gb is good enough :D

$25 for 8gb on new egg yesterday. So now my iMac will have 16gb of RAM even though going from 4 to 8 didn't feel that much different. Oh well, more to throw at VMs...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm putting in a Crucial M4 SSD into a Macbook Pro. Are there any utilities or maintenance procedures I need to know about? I read something about disabling spotlight because it uses up cycles? I read about TRIM enabler but I'm going to wait for something official and don't want to mess with Terminal.

And god drat the hard drive noise on my iMac is driving me nuts. I've been putting up with it over a year now and I'm ready to replace it with an SSD as well. I googled the problem and it's common with the 1terabyte seagate drives. Otherwise the iMac is completely silent. The hard drive sounds like stomach grumblings

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 30, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Cloned my SSD to an old 160GB platter drive so I can return the SSD to OWC for repairs. (Need firmware update to fix freezing, firmware updater isn't updating the drive, so back it goes.)

This is loving horrible. How do people live like this?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm putting in a Crucial M4 SSD into a Macbook Pro. Are there any utilities or maintenance procedures I need to know about? I read something about disabling spotlight because it uses up cycles? I read about TRIM enabler but I'm going to wait for something official and don't want to mess with Terminal.

And god drat the hard drive noise on my iMac is driving me nuts. I've been putting up with it over a year now and I'm ready to replace it with an SSD as well. I googled the problem and it's common with the 1terabyte seagate drives. Otherwise the iMac is completely silent. The hard drive sounds like stomach grumblings
Just use it. Maybe disable the sleep image if it creates one (cause that'll be [your RAM]GB written when you sleep) and the "disable noatime" trick if it doesn't affect anything usage wise. Disabling the sleep image could gently caress you if you run out of battery power while sleeping though. If you disable Spotlight and screw with other standard system stuff it could get annoying and not that worth it really.

If it ever gets slow you can wipe and restore it, although that could take a while to actually happen depending on your usage, if you notice the degradation to begin with.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Cloned my SSD to an old 160GB platter drive so I can return the SSD to OWC for repairs. (Need firmware update to fix freezing, firmware updater isn't updating the drive, so back it goes.)

This is loving horrible. How do people live like this?
Most of us in the SSD thread just avoid SandForce drives. Well they might be ok now but time will tell.

vvvvv oops :v:

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 30, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

japtor posted:

Most of us in the SSD thread just avoid SandForce drives. Well they might be ok now but time will tell.

I think he meant live with platter drives, not with Sandforce. :laugh:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Unless I'm blind, I didn't see the RAM recommendation for the current (mid-2011) 21.5 iMac in the OP?

I want to put 16 gigs of RAM into it (or just 8 if it's horribly expensive). All I could find was Crucial's RAM calculator. How many slots does the 21.5 iMac have?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
4 slots. 16GB of RAM was $90 when I bought some.

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I just ordered a 27" iMac today, and will be getting it Monday. I cannot wait.

My question is, I have an external HDD on this computer (windows), full of files (over 300 gigs) and was wondering if I can get it to be used on the iMac. From what I've gathered, I will have to connect it, copy all the files over to the mac, and then format the drive, and copy them all back to the newly formatted drive.

The drive is currently in NTFS, which is why I think I have to go through all this. Wish it was just Fat32, but, who would be that lucky.

Does this sound like the way to go about this?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Sounds right. You can format the drive as ExFAT to make it compatible with Windows without the 4GB file limitation.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Please report on which hard drive you get in the iMac and whether it's noisy.

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I know it is a 1tb. Not sure on much more than that. Im assuming if so, Applecare will take care of it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No, it's just normal on some of the drives. I'm hoping the newer ones are quieter?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What was the fastest black MacBook, CPU and video wise? Were they ever available with the button-less trackpad?

Also, what was the fastest aluminum MacBook (non-pro)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What was the fastest black MacBook, CPU and video wise? Were they ever available with the button-less trackpad?
2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with Intel X3100. No they never came with a button-less trackpad. Your other question is probably answered here as well:

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook

edit: fastest Aluminum non-pro was also 2.4GHz, but with a Geforce 9400m.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is there a trick to getting audio to a TV from a Macbook Pro on OSX 10.6 using a mini displayport to HDMI adapter?

I tried googling it, but all of the terms I could think to use for google were too vague to get me useful results.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a trick to getting audio to a TV from a Macbook Pro on OSX 10.6 using a mini displayport to HDMI adapter?

I tried googling it, but all of the terms I could think to use for google were too vague to get me useful results.

Not all Macbook Pros support audio through HDMI with Mini DisplayPort. Exactly which MBP do you have?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

1997 posted:

Not all Macbook Pros support audio through HDMI with Mini DisplayPort. Exactly which MBP do you have?

I doubt have access to the machine right now, but it's a 15" Macbook Pro bought May or June 2010, I believe.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I assume it's still the case that a 2011 iMac can't be used with an HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter in order to work with a 360, PS3, etc?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

I doubt have access to the machine right now, but it's a 15" Macbook Pro bought May or June 2010, I believe.

Mine from September-ish 2010 works with HDMI. You just have to set audio out in System Prefs > Sound to HDMI.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Doesn't it also depend on the adapter? I remember some older ones not working with the audio output for whatever reason.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lexicon posted:

I assume it's still the case that a 2011 iMac can't be used with an HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter in order to work with a 360, PS3, etc?

According to Kanex they literally cannot get the parts they would need. :(

quote:

We are aware that there is an insane demand for this product and we are truly looking into the issue; Please do not think we are just ignoring the fact and going on with our lives. Please also take into consideration that we can not just whip something up and expect it to work properly or at all for that matter. You also need to take into consideration that there i only ONE company that manufactures these thunderbolt chips. If this company has not released these chips what can we really do? We are pretty much in the same boat. Please be patient, the wait will be worth it.

Some great new standard this is going to be! Remember then we had DVI on everything and it "just worked"?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

kloa posted:

Mine from September-ish 2010 works with HDMI. You just have to set audio out in System Prefs > Sound to HDMI.

I figured we were probably missing something like this, thanks! I'll try this next time the Macbook is hooked up to the TV.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Chainclaw posted:

I figured we were probably missing something like this, thanks! I'll try this next time the Macbook is hooked up to the TV.

Option-clicking on the volume icon is the quick way not to fumble with things like that - helpful for presentations and things where you don't wanna be fumbling through menus if you need sound or something.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

~Coxy posted:

Some great new standard this is going to be! Remember then we had DVI on everything and it "just worked"?

Jesus. I knew this before I bought it, but it's really annoying that the 2011 iMac is less functional than its predecessor.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Good to hear others are having trouble shaking Thunderbolt chips out of Intel. Expected this to happen, you don't even get direct access to an Intel FAE unless you are pushing some decent volume.

Then again, Blackmagic managed to put out an Intensity Thunderbolt already, soooooo...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Wow, I moved my VirtualBox virtual drives over to my 250gb HDD from my 60gb SSD and now virtualization is painfully slow now. :(
I expected some slow down but I guess this is what happens when you haven't touched anything without an SSD in almost a year.
Yeah. All my fusion/WS8 VMs live on SSD. Using stuff that lives on a single 7krpm spindle will just turn you crazy.

~Coxy posted:

It's gonna be awesome when the *one* fab that makes TB controllers gets flooded/earthquaked/whatever and everyone starts running around like so many headless chicken.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 2, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah. All my fusion/WS8 VMs live on SSD. Using stuff that lives on a single 7krpm spindle will just turn you crazy.

It's gonna be awesome when the *one* fab that makes TB controllers gets flooded/earthquaked/whatever and everyone starts running around like so many headless chicken.

Well, we're pretty much at the mercy of Intel. If they don't think you're going to do a good job with a TB device/sell a ton of units a year, it's a waste of time and money for them to provide your with EVK/SDKs and all the other assorted NDA development goodies (including the time of an application engineer).

Sucks :( I don't even know if the actual spec is available to developers, so it's not like we'd see a FPGA core for it on OpenCores or something (though the cost of a FPGA with the transceivers you'd need to support x4 PCIe + DP would be retard expensive anyways).

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The late 2010 11-inch MBA is $699 on the refurb store, and I'm thinking of grabbing one.

I'll be using this almost entirely for writing, with a bit of very light photo editing - mostly just resizing and cropping stuff to accompany articles. I don't care about the lack of a backlit keyboard.

In my case, does it seem like there would be a big enough difference in the processing power to warrant the more expensive, newer Core i5 model? I'd imagine that my relatively small applications would launch quickly thanks to the SSD, but I don't know how much a processor would play into that.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The late 2010 11-inch MBA is $699 on the refurb store, and I'm thinking of grabbing one.

I'll be using this almost entirely for writing, with a bit of very light photo editing - mostly just resizing and cropping stuff to accompany articles. I don't care about the lack of a backlit keyboard.

In my case, does it seem like there would be a big enough difference in the processing power to warrant the more expensive, newer Core i5 model? I'd imagine that my relatively small applications would launch quickly thanks to the SSD, but I don't know how much a processor would play into that.

For 699 the old one is gonna do great. It's not worth 500 bucks for the processor bump. It'll have zero problems running everyday apps at lightning speed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

JP Money posted:

For 699 the old one is gonna do great. It's not worth 500 bucks for the processor bump. It'll have zero problems running everyday apps at lightning speed.

I agree. If the battery lasted longer than 4 hours I wouldn't have even got the 13" Air after I sold my 13" Pro. It's not blazingly fast but it's not 'slow', either.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Great, thank you guys. Seems like an ideal laptop for my needs at a really good price.

Now comes the post-order period where I try not to think about the wait while re-reading reviews and zooming in on product pictures. That's always fun!

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Lexicon posted:

http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

is this not what you're looking for?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kryptonik posted:

http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

is this not what you're looking for?

That doesn't work with the Thunderbolt iMac, only the old Displayport models.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

That doesn't work with the Thunderbolt iMac, only the old Displayport models.
And it's awesome. :D

I use the Kanex XD for my 360 and PS3, and also use regular DisplayPort to use my iMac as the display for my gaming machine. It's awesome and now I can't imagine upgrading for a very long time because I use the functionality so much.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
You'd think they could have at least included some sort of fallback mode, I don't really get why the iMac couldn't just detect that a DP signal was coming in and dealing with it.

I'm starting to feel more and more that thunderbolt isn't going to go anywhere. You can't really take their monitor selection seriously when they only have one $1000 option, and it looks like external peripherals are going to be extremely low-volume, high-cost deals.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I imagine they'll introduce a cheaper 21" TB display. And by cheaper I mean it will cost $700.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

japtor posted:

Doesn't it also depend on the adapter? I remember some older ones not working with the audio output for whatever reason.

Yeah some of the adapters didn't do audio, also the mini-dp to hdmi cables (last time I looked on monoprice).

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

evensevenone posted:

You'd think they could have at least included some sort of fallback mode, I don't really get why the iMac couldn't just detect that a DP signal was coming in and dealing with it.

I'm starting to feel more and more that thunderbolt isn't going to go anywhere. You can't really take their monitor selection seriously when they only have one $1000 option, and it looks like external peripherals are going to be extremely low-volume, high-cost deals.

I am really hoping Belkin releases the Thunderbolt dock that has ethernet/usb on it. That would make switching to a MBA as my full machine a lot easier. Unfortunately, I haven't heard a single thing about it since September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I imagine they'll introduce a cheaper 21" TB display. And by cheaper I mean it will cost $700.

If they do that, it probably wont be $700. The 27 inch display is competitive with other high resolution displays. It will probably carry a premium over 21 inch IPSes ($200-250?) Maybe $400-500, but I don't really see it being three times the price of other displays in the same class.