Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Time Cowboy posted:

This thread is now one of my favorite places on SA. I want to thank you all for the excellent recommendations from my earlier request.

This time I'm looking for music along the lines of Strangers 1800, or "Cowboy Dan" by Modest Mouse, or "Shallow Grave" by Dog Fashion Disco -- sort of a modern take on the classic spaghetti western sound. Are there any bands that do this as their primary sound?

Definitely check out Friends of Dean Martinez.

link

link

link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Hi, all. I just read this whole thread, and I am 99% sure I am in the right place:

What can y'all recommend me as far as Christmas Dubstep? A little backstory:

I have been considering getting my parents into dubstep for the longest time, but I figure, what with Christmas coming up, it's the perfect opportunity. The hitch? Well, Dad only likes talk radio (sports) and Mom, AFAIK, only listens to the music she hums to herself when she is putting the dry dishes away. The sole exception to this (for both) is Christmas music. I want to give them a gift that is meaningful and personal, but also I am constrained in time and money because I am a student. I express myself best through the art of others, and I have been listening almost exclusively to dubstep this whole semester. So what I want from you knowledgeable guys is:

6-ish Xmas-y dubstep tracks (friends already suggested that I pick up the iTunes albums by Burial, Justice, Skrillex, and Moby and I figure I can pull one song from each of those) that flow reasonably well and that Mom and Dad can play in the car.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

:eek: Oh my word. I expected one or two recommendations but this is like Christmas. Fantastic recommendations, very much appreciated, and an extra thanks to Ras Het for the sheer volume of awesome.

(And if there's more to come by other people, would love to hear it!)

Folk and Pop Sounds of Sumatra Vol. 1 & 2
The Sound Of Siam - Leftfield Luk Thung, Jazz & Molam
Thai Pop Spectacular 1960s-1980s Vol. 1 & 2
Luk Thung! (The Roots Of Thai Funk)
Saigon Rock & Soul: Vietnamese Classic Tracks 1968-1974
Cambodian Rocks
Ghana Soundz Vol. 1 & 2
The World is Shaking: Cubanismo from Congo 1954-1955
To Scratch Your Heart: Early Recordings from Istanbul
Psychedelic Phinland - Finnish Hippie & Underground Music 1967 - 1974 :cool:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Time Cowboy posted:

This time I'm looking for music along the lines of Strangers 1800, or "Cowboy Dan" by Modest Mouse, or "Shallow Grave" by Dog Fashion Disco -- sort of a modern take on the classic spaghetti western sound. Are there any bands that do this as their primary sound?
Danger Mouse put out an album inspired by spaghetti western music, titled "Rome." It has some pretty high-profile collaborators, such as Jack White and Norah Jones and got pretty good reviews, so it might be worth checking out.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

me your dad posted:

Definitely check out Friends of Dean Martinez.

link

link

link

FactsAreUseless posted:

Danger Mouse put out an album inspired by spaghetti western music, titled "Rome." It has some pretty high-profile collaborators, such as Jack White and Norah Jones and got pretty good reviews, so it might be worth checking out.

Both of these are awesome. Thank you!

vjee32
Feb 1, 2008
Oh yes, there's a recommendation thread.

For the past few days I've been trying to find some calm background music while painting or just chilling around.

Some of my last.fm top artists are Pink floyd, tool, dog fashion disco, kyuss, a perfect circle, cranberries, nick cave.

All I seem to find is chillout lounge beach mixes and everything that smells of trance or that sort is a no no.

But I'm open to everything else.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

vjee32 posted:

For the past few days I've been trying to find some calm background music while painting or just chilling around.

Some of my last.fm top artists are Pink floyd, tool, dog fashion disco, kyuss, a perfect circle, cranberries, nick cave.

All I seem to find is chillout lounge beach mixes and everything that smells of trance or that sort is a no no.

Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails' instrumental work- The Social Network soundtrack and Ghosts I-IV are a good mix of heavy industrial noise and ambient chill-out stuff. Seems like it'd be right up your street.

e: Actually, after reading the thread, the Dangermouse Rome album that got mentioned a few posts up also has a similar-ish kind of vibe, I'd look into that too.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 23, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vjee32 posted:

Check out these two goon projects! I often use them as cool background music at work and stuff.

http://conelrad.bandcamp.com/
http://robotscience.bandcamp.com/

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 23, 2011

Reive
May 21, 2009

Been listening to this constantly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5JqLwyI70w
Looking for metal bands that sound like it, basically what I want is just similar growls and melodic choruses.
I don't want just melodic death metal though as I don't want the focus to be the melodic side.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Reive posted:

Looking for metal bands that sound like it, basically what I want is just similar growls and melodic choruses.
I don't want just melodic death metal though as I don't want the focus to be the melodic side.

Sounds to me like Amon Amarth is your band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFcVlsxqBbA

Edge of Sanity might be up our alley too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRfXfB28c94

EDIT: I didn't realize you were looking for a band that mixes up between growling and clean vocals. In that case, Edge of Sanity would be better for you than Amon Amarth.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 25, 2011

Reive
May 21, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Sounds to me like Amon Amarth is your band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFcVlsxqBbA

Edge of Sanity might be up our alley too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRfXfB28c94

EDIT: I didn't realize you were looking for a band that mixes up between growling and clean vocals. In that case, Edge of Sanity would be better for you than Amon Amarth.

Aha, yeah if I were just looking for one or the other it'd be easy, what I want is a good mix of both, if I wanted to be more picky I'd say I want both were the clean vocals are just as energy filled and impactful as the growls, that seems even harder to find.

I'm liking that Edge of Sanity song, but that length holy hell.

That Amon Amarth song has a very good sound to it, but I don't really like the mythology type stuff, which severely limits my choices which is a shame since mythology based bands and viking metal can sound very awesome. (look at me actually paying attention to lyrics and meaning in deathmetal! :v:)

Sorry if I'm being difficult, this is why I don't listen to as much metal as I'd like. :downs:

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Looking for some soul. The more obscure the better. I love stuff like Solomon Burke, Otis Redding, James Carr and I've been listening to a ton of Lee Moses lately. Anything more specifically like Moses who seems to kind of bridge the gap between more traditional soul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttSipBl-QRs) and straight up psychedelic funk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL04E1APQnY) would be really great. Give me some names or some compilations!

Also someone posted a link to an Almeda Riddle song earlier in this thread and I am in love with that poo poo but all I can seem to find is just chunks of her stuff scattered on various compilations. Am I blind or has there not been anything collected. Or, failing that, are there any more stripped down vocalists like this that I should check out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msnMsXRgpII

Should probably note that I've got a pretty good knowledge of roots/bluegrass style stuff already so any of the more obvious options I'm probably familiar with. Throw whatever you got at me, though. I'm loving starving for new stuff.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Reive posted:

I'm liking that Edge of Sanity song, but that length holy hell.

Crimson is actually an entire album, if it helps any. Most of their stuff isn't quite as long.

For content, are there any other good artists in the vein of Power Glove, Kavinsky, College, Electric Youth, and Lazerhawk? I've been really digging this kind of faux-80s electronic music, and since I have no clue what the hell this genre is called and don't know of any labels that specialize in it I haven't been able to find much in the way of it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Reive posted:

I don't understand the "don't want the focus to be the melodic side" given that this song is basically a carbon-copy of Soundtrack to Your Escape-era In Flames with slightly more competent vocals. I really don't think there's anything death metal about this song at all, in fact, besides the vocals. The riffing style is influenced way more by nu-metal and metalcore (and the Pantera/Prong-style groove metal that preceded both those genres) than death metal. What exactly are you looking for?

Edit: Have some Scar Symmetry, that's the closest I can think of from the top of my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0p7Y3gND4

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 25, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Where is a good place to start with The Fall? They have so many drat albums I have no idea where to begin.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Where is a good place to start with The Fall? They have so many drat albums I have no idea where to begin.

Live at the Witch Trials
Hex Enduction Hour
This Nations Saving Grace

IMO those are the three 'essential' Fall albums and are all pretty good starting points for the band. After that, just find whatever era/lineup works best for you and hunt down recordings from that timeframe. Alternatively, you could hunt down the compilation album "50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong", which is a 2CD retrospective on the bands career that hits most of the high points.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The best starting point will undoubtedly be Palace of Swords Reversed. It compiles singles released on Rough Trade. This album has nearly all versions of The Fall (excluding the Smith's electro tendencies during the late 90's). Also, it has "Wings" which is one of the very best songs by them.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

I've been in the mood for some more "up-beat" (pop, whatever) punky music lately anyone got any recommendations? My list for what I'm think of as "up-beat" would be Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, The Offspring, and selected tracks from Sum 41's discography... Not much to go on but yea, any help would be swell.

Check out stuff like Me vs Hero, Fall Out Boy, The All-American Rejects, New Found Glory, You Me and Everyone We Know and Four Year Strong.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

hogswallower posted:

Also someone posted a link to an Almeda Riddle song earlier in this thread and I am in love with that poo poo but all I can seem to find is just chunks of her stuff scattered on various compilations. Am I blind or has there not been anything collected. Or, failing that, are there any more stripped down vocalists like this that I should check out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msnMsXRgpII

Should probably note that I've got a pretty good knowledge of roots/bluegrass style stuff already so any of the more obvious options I'm probably familiar with. Throw whatever you got at me, though. I'm loving starving for new stuff.

It was probably me, as I'm related to her. To my knowledge, none of her albums are still in print, but it looks like the Minstrel Records site has one for sale. Actually, I'm a little worried because your post prompted me to dig out the two I own, but I can't find them... If I do, though, I'll see about ripping them somehow. As for similar singers, I'm not too deep into that scene, but check out Dellie Norton and Dillard Chandler.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I'm looking for something that would be close an instrumental or nearly instrumental version of The Bomb Squad (Public Enemy's producers). It doesn't necessarily need to be rap music, there's some industrial that gets close to the sound, like the first KMFDM album, random Front 242 songs, etc. Something militant, empowering, laden with samples.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Some Techno Animal perhaps?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Misogynist posted:

What exactly are you looking for?

Edit: Have some Scar Symmetry, that's the closest I can think of from the top of my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0p7Y3gND4

Basically more like that actually!
Pretty much everything I want right there, however I find this song of theirs more closely matches what I was talking about : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJHU-kYeMFM

I think I'll just listen to more of them for now, but yeah any other suggestions would be great.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Can someone recommend some near-theatrical pop rock along the lines of fun., Steel Train, and The Format? Stuff like I'm From Barcelona and Fang Island is cool too. I'm especially looking for bands along those lines that utilize clever vocal harmonies in a majority of their tracks.

vjee32
Feb 1, 2008

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails' instrumental work- The Social Network soundtrack and Ghosts I-IV are a good mix of heavy industrial noise and ambient chill-out stuff. Seems like it'd be right up your street.

e: Actually, after reading the thread, the Dangermouse Rome album that got mentioned a few posts up also has a similar-ish kind of vibe, I'd look into that too.

Thanks for the dangermouse recommendation, I'm enjoying it very much. I tried to listen to some songs from ghosts but it didn't strike me. v:shobon:v

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Time Cowboy posted:

This thread is now one of my favorite places on SA. I want to thank you all for the excellent recommendations from my earlier request.

You might like O'Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkMa20Vx7ZM

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Please give me some 60s music! Anti-war, pro-war, weird drug induced instrumentals, things like The Zombies and The Isley Brothers and The Demensions and other bands that begin with a "The".

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

silversiren posted:

Please give me some 60s music! Anti-war, pro-war, weird drug induced instrumentals, things like The Zombies and The Isley Brothers and The Demensions and other bands that begin with a "The".

That's a pretty large request. If you're interested in psychedelia and mostly want an overview, please get the Nuggets compilations, as they're fantastic.

Some pop recommendations:

The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina
The Hollies - The Hollies' Greatest Hits or some other compilation album (Most of their best material is represented in their singles—you've heard "Bus Stop" at least)
Scott Walker - Scott
Nico - Chelsea Girl

Rock recommendations:

Spirit - Spirit
The Small Faces - Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
Family - Music in a Doll's House (one of several albums that could arguably be called the debut of progressive rock, and Peter Gabriel seems to have based his vocal stylings on Roger Chapman's)
The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis
Can - Delay 1968 (not actually released until the '80s, but this is amazing, forward-thinking stuff)

Interesting weird music of very different sorts:

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Gorilla
Alexander "Skip" Spence - Oar
Tod Dockstader - Quatermass ("Song and Lament" is maybe one of the most chilling pieces of music I've ever heard)
White Noise - An Electric Storm
Giles, Giles & Fripp - The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp (Interesting and infamously unsuccessful album by the band who would metamorphose into King Crimson. Very, very British.)
Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy (If you're new to Zappa, I'd check out Freak Out or Hot Rats first, though. That clip is not remotely indicative of the album as a whole, by the way.)
The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World (Rock music as interpreted by three young sisters who had possibly never heard it. The most unintentionally brilliant album I know of.)
The Mops - Psychedelic Sounds in Japan ("So bad it's hilarious" rather than the above "so bad it's amazing," but definitely worth a listen)

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 29, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Rollersnake posted:

That's a pretty large request. If you're interested in psychedelia and mostly want an overview, please get the Nuggets compilations, as they're fantastic.

Some pop recommendations:

The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina
The Hollies - The Hollies' Greatest Hits or some other compilation album (Most of their best material is represented in their singles—you've heard "Bus Stop" at least)
Scott Walker - Scott
Nico - Chelsea Girl

Rock recommendations:

Spirit - Spirit
The Small Faces - Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
Family - Music in a Doll's House (one of several albums that could arguably be called the debut of progressive rock, and Peter Gabriel seems to have based his vocal stylings on Roger Chapman's)
The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis
Can - Delay 1968 (not actually released until the '80s, but this is amazing, forward-thinking stuff)

Interesting weird music of very different sorts:

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Gorilla
Alexander "Skip" Spence - Oar
Tod Dockstader - Quatermass ("Song and Lament" is maybe one of the most chilling pieces of music I've ever heard)
White Noise - An Electric Storm
Giles, Giles & Fripp - The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp (Interesting and infamously unsuccessful album by the band who would metamorphose into King Crimson. Very, very British.)
Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy (If you're new to Zappa, I'd check out Freak Out or Hot Rats first, though. That clip is not remotely indicative of the album as a whole, by the way.)
The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World (Rock music as interpreted by three young sisters who had possibly never heard it. The most unintentionally brilliant album I know of.)
The Mops - Psychedelic Sounds in Japan ("So bad it's hilarious" rather than the above "so bad it's amazing," but definitely worth a listen)

Thank you! I checked out The Hollies first, I had no idea they sang Bus Stop. It was always just some nameless band to me. I also found out that they sang the original version of one of my favorite Eagles songs, Witchy Woman, though I must say I do enjoy the Eagles' version better.. it's sexier. ;)

e: If it makes it easier, I guess the kind of sound I'm looking for is considered doowop and motown? I'm not really sure. 60s to me has always been just "60s".

copy of a fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 29, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Doo-wop isn't my area of expertise, so someone else will have to answer that. That's even more of a '50s thing than it is '60s though.

I'll still recommend Zappa to you though. He legitimately loved doo-wop, and doo-wop influences pop up all throughout his musical career, but especially early on. Plus there's more than enough experimental weirdness and political songs to fulfill the other parts of your request.

Also since you're just getting into '60s music, I have to mention that a complete version of The Beach Boys' Smile was just released. It's maybe the most legendary unreleased album of all time, and I think it would be really cool hearing that for the first time alongside Pet Sounds.

Edit: I guess if I had to limit myself to five albums to define the '60s, I'd choose, in no particular order:

1. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (yes, it's not Sgt. Pepper, but I think it's even more diverse and interesting)
2. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (I know you didn't ask for jazz, but this is utterly gorgeous, and might turn you onto it)
3. Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - We're Only In It for the Money (I don't think Zappa/The Mothers had a single definitive album, but this is a great one, and timely, insightful satire of the hippie movement at that)
4. The Doors - s/t (Jim Morrison is a polarizing figure, and I think he's neither as brilliant nor as horrible as people claim, but this is above all a really good moody rock album, and Ray Manzarek's organ work is cool as hell)
5. The Who - The Who Sell Out (you could make a strong case for any of The Who's '60s albums, but I adore the concept behind this one—plus it's funny, which is nearly always a plus for me)

Sorry if that was just telling you what you already know, came off as condescending, or was otherwise unhelpful. I guess what I'm getting at is there was a hell of a lot of interesting stuff going on musically in the '60s, and you can't really generalize it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 29, 2011

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

hogswallower posted:

Looking for some soul. The more obscure the better. I love stuff like Solomon Burke, Otis Redding, James Carr and I've been listening to a ton of Lee Moses lately. Anything more specifically like Moses who seems to kind of bridge the gap between more traditional soul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttSipBl-QRs) and straight up psychedelic funk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL04E1APQnY) would be really great. Give me some names or some compilations!

Well, there is pretty much an unlimited supply of soul. I have an affinity for the more late 60s/ early 70s styles of soul so here are a few examples of obscure material from that time period http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Gmowjmktg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXIONl1w97Y If you enjoy that sort of thing you might also like the soul boulders mixes from matthew africa and b.cause http://blog.djmatthewafrica.com/2011/11/soul-boulders-2.html

Bear in mind that soul was very much a singles driven genre so make sure you listen to lots of singles rather that only albums. Paying tribute to this idea is Mayer Hawthorne's mix from a couple years ago http://www.discogs.com/Mayer-Hawthorne-Soul-With-A-Hole-Vol-1/release/2051677. If you want to go further into that sort of nerdery you can also check out the releases on the eccentric soul series from numero group.

Another route to go for obscure stuff is to learn about the northern soul scene in england whose djs imported all sorts of rare records from america in the 60s for amphetamine addled miners to dance to. These are a zillion compilations full of "northern soul" classics if you find you enjoy that sort of thing. Here's my favorite northern soul classic which is probably familiar to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSehtaY6k1U

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Eight Is Legend posted:

Check out stuff like Me vs Hero, Fall Out Boy, The All-American Rejects, New Found Glory, You Me and Everyone We Know and Four Year Strong.

You own, thanks for this Me vs Hero and You Me and Everyone We Know are both close to what I was looking for, and Four Year Strong is pretty good.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
IF anyone is looking for some dark sounding, female vocaled folk, then I really can't recommend The Unthanks highly enough.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

6EQUJ5 posted:

IF anyone is looking for some dark sounding, female vocaled folk, then I really can't recommend The Unthanks highly enough.

That's not what this thread is for.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
In which case, my apologies. Should I remove that post?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
In Higher Learning by Freddie Gibbs, after a few minutes - about 3:30 - the lyrics just completely drop out and leave behind a chilled-out beat with some atmospheric guitars and piano. And - here's the key - there's a bunch of people talking over it, not in a focused spoken word sort of way, but just ambient chatting. Apart from an occasional repetition of the hook, the song forgets it was ever a rap song at all.

So I'm wondering, what are some chillout artists with tracks like that? It doesn't need to have raps in it, just atmospheric, mellow ambience, with the sounds of people clearly talking incorporated into the ambient sound.

Bonus points if it's also about marijuana, but it doesn't have to be.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Whats the best compilation of Delta blues? I know there are tons out there, but I figure there has to be one that is considered the best. On a similar tip, I'm also looking for excellent compilations of country, folk, labor songs (not having a lot of luck with this one), something to get my working class blood boiling. The more comprehensive the better.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Whats the best compilation of Delta blues? I know there are tons out there, but I figure there has to be one that is considered the best. On a similar tip, I'm also looking for excellent compilations of country, folk, labor songs (not having a lot of luck with this one), something to get my working class blood boiling. The more comprehensive the better.

The Little Red Box of Protest Songs is a fantastic collection of protest/labor songs.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

you probably know this but Alan Lomax recordings in general could answer both of your questions

Stench Of Profit
Mar 21, 2011

by I Ozma Myself

The more comprehensive the better.
Songs For Political Action: Folkmusic, Topical Songs And The American Left 1926-1953 pretty well covers all the big names + a few more obscure things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntington
Nov 25, 2011

Cobweb Heart posted:

In Higher Learning by Freddie Gibbs, after a few minutes - about 3:30 - the lyrics just completely drop out and leave behind a chilled-out beat with some atmospheric guitars and piano. And - here's the key - there's a bunch of people talking over it, not in a focused spoken word sort of way, but just ambient chatting. Apart from an occasional repetition of the hook, the song forgets it was ever a rap song at all.

So I'm wondering, what are some chillout artists with tracks like that? It doesn't need to have raps in it, just atmospheric, mellow ambience, with the sounds of people clearly talking incorporated into the ambient sound.

Bonus points if it's also about marijuana, but it doesn't have to be.

That's a tough one.

This track might fit (mostly the beginning):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYOC_px7oVM