Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation

Lord Of Texas posted:

You can't splash early-game cards like Reckless Waif or Feral Ridgewolf. 2 real red sources (Grotto and Vigil are not reliable for creatures you want to cast on-curve)is not enough. Brimstone Volley is fine to splash since it has value whenever you cast it, and Tormented Pariah would be splashable if it was a very powerful creature, but it's mediocre. If you're set on W/G just play the Hollowhenge Scavenger, Silverchase Fox, and maybe the Runechanter's Pike instead of the non-splashable red cards.

I'd probably play U/W at a glance, your green is pretty bad outside of 3 or 4 cards.

Yeah realized this and ended up cutting the waif and wolf after the first game and looking a bit closer it does seam like I may have overlooked a few cards in my U colors. At least I won my first match though so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Vote Sweeper 2000 posted:

Yeah realized this and ended up cutting the waif and wolf after the first game and looking a bit closer it does seam like I may have overlooked a few cards in my U colors. At least I won my first match though so far!

I'm going U/B zombies all day with this. It might not be the best but it has pretty decent removal and on the off chance you get to go off with endless ranks of the undead it might be worth it. That card is pretty sweet with moan.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Oh god just went 1-2 including a bye at FNM. The first two rares I opened were nevermore.

I ended up with a red aggro vampire deck, with a bit more than a splash of white for fiend hunter, gheist honoured monk, mausoleum guard and a village bellringer.

Had a rakish heir and three bloodcrazed neonates, along with the curse that gives +1+1 counters to creatures who do damage. MVP's were fiend hunter and gheistcatchers rig, which was a lucky top deck that won me the one game I won all night.

I never got a card to push me into another colour till the GHM at the start of pack 3, but I really should have gone into another colour a bit harder.

Red white seems like a pretty bad colour combination too.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Just got Charmbreaker Devils out when the only viable card in my graveyard was Prey Upon. Had a blast picking off my opponent's creatures one by one. I almost wish he had drawn a removal as I had a Ranger's Guile in my hand and wouldn't have minded adding a little randomness to the endgame.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Eggnogium posted:

Just got Charmbreaker Devils out when the only viable card in my graveyard was Prey Upon. Had a blast picking off my opponent's creatures one by one. I almost wish he had drawn a removal as I had a Ranger's Guile in my hand and wouldn't have minded adding a little randomness to the endgame.

Charmbreakers were the best bomb-ish card in the first pack of my last two drafts and the one time I actually got them out, they were killed the following turn. It didn't help that somehow both of those drafts really shat all over me and I managed to get some of the worst decks I've had in some time.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Requesting it's time for a thread name change.

Suggestion

Magic: The Gathering Limited - There's a rooftop storm a-brewin

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

newtestleper posted:

Oh god just went 1-2 including a bye at FNM. The first two rares I opened were nevermore.

I ended up with a red aggro vampire deck, with a bit more than a splash of white for fiend hunter, gheist honoured monk, mausoleum guard and a village bellringer.

Had a rakish heir and three bloodcrazed neonates, along with the curse that gives +1+1 counters to creatures who do damage. MVP's were fiend hunter and gheistcatchers rig, which was a lucky top deck that won me the one game I won all night.

I never got a card to push me into another colour till the GHM at the start of pack 3, but I really should have gone into another colour a bit harder.

Red white seems like a pretty bad colour combination too.

You can't really splash fiend hunter. Bellringer would get cut from a lot of white decks and it is useless in an aggro deck. Bloodcrazed neonates are bad cards. The curse is also a sort of bad card, it doesn't help your board much and seems to only really help in situations where another creature would accomplish the same thing.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Requesting it's time for a thread name change.

Suggestion

Magic: The Gathering Limited - There's a rooftop storm a-brewin

Never more Nevermores
or Nevermore forever more! :black101:

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 2, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How much value is there in having multiple copies of wrath effects in your deck? In a draft I ended up picking two Blasphemous Acts and I was debating over putting in the second one versus a utility creature or flyer. Having lots of point removal makes sense, but with wraths it feels like the value of the second is much lower than the first, but I don't know?

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 2, 2011

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I would say that multiple sweepers can work, but the screwy casting cost on Act makes a second copy more prohibitive than a regular Day of Judgement or whatever since there will likely not be many critters to help lower the cost the second time around.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Man, does anybody else run really hot and cold drafting online? Some days, I'll consistently get 2nd or 1st, always making it at least rounds, and some days, I'll struggle to win a single match. It's incredibly frustrating. Then I draft a good deck, Multiple bonds, fiend hunters, travel preps, nice curve and everything just to get blown out by t4 garruk and t5 overseer. dang.

I've found Instigator Gang to be one of the more bomby rares, comparable to stuff like Mayor or Charmbreakers, and Spider Spawning is an insane card, but not as insane as Falkenrath, which wins games hands down if it stays around for combat. Multiples of either will win you the game, no doubt.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 3, 2011

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I seem to have better luck when I get good commons that work together vs anything super bomby. Sometimes bad cards are good cards in the right deck. Bloodcrazed neonate gets some hate, but whenever I've had decks where I had enough removal put together to consistently get the neonate through it wins games. That said, whites not a good color to pair into vampires. You want either black or blue for the extra removal and vampires or for the bounce. I've had some steady success with BRu, splashing stuff like Silent Departure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I basically went 0-3 (it was actually 1-2 but that one win was a disconnect) with a red-black deck that had a super-aggressive curve with decent removal that topped out with two Instigator Gangs. What did I lose to? One of them was a zombie deck that relied on, of all things, Unbreathing Horde + Runechanter's Pike.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

I've found Instigator Gang to be one of the more bomby rares, comparable to stuff like Mayor or Charmbreakers, and Spider Spawning is an insane card, but not as insane as Falkenrath, which wins games hands down if it stays around for combat. Multiples of either will win you the game, no doubt.

Spawning is funny because it's actually a blue card.

quote:

I seem to have better luck when I get good commons that work together vs anything super bomby. Sometimes bad cards are good cards in the right deck. Bloodcrazed neonate gets some hate, but whenever I've had decks where I had enough removal put together to consistently get the neonate through it wins games. That said, whites not a good color to pair into vampires. You want either black or blue for the extra removal and vampires or for the bounce. I've had some steady success with BRu, splashing stuff like Silent Departure.

The problem with Neonate is even if it gets two hits in, it STILL trades unfavorably when you don't want it to. If you basically ever miss playing a removal/bounce/can't block spell after you play Neonate you'd be better off playing almost any other two drop.

I mean sure, if you go Stromkirk Noble/Reckless Waif into Neonate into Crossway Vampire into Nightbird's Clutches they're dead, but you could replace Neonate with Ashmouth Hound or (2 drop here) and that sentence would be the same. The +1/+1 counters don't overcome the fact that it helps the opponent stabilize by attacking unfavorably.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Yiggy posted:

Yea, my most sucuessful decks have been RGb or UGw, with the former having much better removal and powerful critters, while the latter has a better mana base with curvy, less power critters.

Which leads me to the other thing. The importance of critters might be obvious, but I find that as long as your curved out alright, the more creatures the better. If I'm pushing 16-18 creatures, I know I can trade and have some lategame strength. I remember looking at a BGr deck that had like 2 patricians, 2 nobles, a rage thrower and my only spells were 2 Spawings, a brimstone, a pyre, dead weight and a prey upon (maybe 2). Its probably not the best strategy, but at least its dependable.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Man, does anybody else run really hot and cold drafting online? Some days, I'll consistently get 2nd or 1st, always making it at least rounds, and some days, I'll struggle to win a single match. It's incredibly frustrating. Then I draft a good deck, Multiple bonds, fiend hunters, travel preps, nice curve and everything just to get blown out by t4 garruk and t5 overseer. dang.

Welcome to variance! The fact is that sometimes you will draft well and play well and still lose. And sometimes this will happen several times in a row.

When the runbads happen to such an extent that it's no longer fun, just stop playing for a while and do something else.

(Note that variance should never be an excuse to not learn from your mistakes. Good play is always important: it can help you make the most of things when you're running good, and can still salvage games when you're unlucky. Just be aware that this game isn't chess, and sometimes you gotta just shrug and move on.)

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Just had a swiss ISD draft where I went 0-2, 2-0, then 2-1. Pretty stoked since this is the best I've ever done since I started draft tournaments on MTGO last week. My deck was U/W with a combination of delvers, ludevic's, mindshrieker, and opponent mill cards helping me win. One of the wins was a first round mill fest where I made him draw his whole library in ~11 turns while I countered his creatures with removal and first strike flying creatures. He sideboarded every card into his deck for the second game to counter the mill, but my starting hand was 2 delvers and ludevic's, with the delvers flipping the next turn.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm pretty stoked, just pulled some ridiculous poo poo in an online draft. Garruk, Daybreak Ranger, Angelic Overseer, and some solid G/W to accompany it all. Third draft in a row that I've won, 5th time drafting at all. I'm not sure if I'm ready to graduate to 8-4s yet though, I still feel like I don't really know the format, and I'm still getting used to the MTGO interface. I played paper from '93 to ~2003, but just got back into it within the last month and started playing online. I'd like to get back into constructed, but it's hard building a deck without a) having a collection or b) buying it outright :negative:
I'm having loads of fun drafting in the meantime though, working on the U/G self-mill with my draft pulls & winnings.

edit: pulled a Nevermore too, but I didn't end up maindecking it - it seems unreliable in limited at best. Do you all use it as a sideboard card, avoid it in limited, or what?

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 4, 2011

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Hauki posted:

edit: pulled a Nevermore too, but I didn't end up maindecking it - it seems unreliable in limited at best. Do you all use it as a sideboard card, avoid it in limited, or what?

I've only seen a nevermore played once, and it was against me and he named something like Gallows Warden or something. If they have garruk or overseer or something, its still dicey cause you'll never know if you'll pull it first.

One thing I've noticed is that if a draft went or is going poorly, focusing on creatures, and more importantly i guess, on curvy creatures is a pretty good strategy. Most decks top out at 15, but if you do 16-18 you can traden'race. This works expecially well in G/x where the top of the curve can handle a few of the bigger critters.

What I'm really wondering about is land count. I've always as a rule stuck to 17 because mana screw is just so annoying. For instance, I've just drafted this

Which has an average cost of 2.62. Something tells me 16 is okay, but something much more wanting to not be screwed tells me stick to 17.

Edit: my first hand is of course 6 mana and one spell.

edit two: then game two

I guess theres no point save for me being angry and also done for the night

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 4, 2011

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Hauki posted:

Unplayable 99.99% of the time. Your opponent would have to have several copies of an expensive rare (and you'd have to know this!) that you just can't beat to make it worth considering, and even then it's sketchy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

What I'm really wondering about is land count. I've always as a rule stuck to 17 because mana screw is just so annoying. For instance, I've just drafted this

Which has an average cost of 2.62. Something tells me 16 is okay, but something much more wanting to not be screwed tells me stick to 17.
That looks like a 17 lander to me. I just drafted a deck with 16 lands, but my curve was 5 1-drops, 9 2-drops, 7 3-drops, 2 4-drops, and a Devil's Play (6-0d, too :smug:). You needed the 17th land - you have a few 5 drops, and a lot of mana-intensive cards, like Olivia, the Kessig Wolves, and the flashback cards.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Holy poo poo, triple Masque Block an awful limited format.

I did five drafts yesterday - it felt to me that Green was the strongest color, due to the relative creature strength in the curve & available tricks, and compliment with Black (preferable) or Red for removal.

White was also varying levels of playable, but it really depends on how many of the Sergeants, Hawks and Lieutenants you're able to pick up and if your Gliders aren't contested by Blue fliers. Ramosan Rally was really good every time I cast it for free, and Cho-Manno's Blessing/Mangesh's Blessing are also great tricks that can turn basic Ogres (there are a TON of Ogres in this format) into killers.

Blue has great tricks across the free counters, but oh my god are the creatures generally terrible. Don't discount Waterfront Bouncer - he's probably the best Blue common across the three sets.

Finally, you can totally build a land destruction deck in your draft without forcing it - and because of the playability of the Depletion lands (due to all of the 4 drops in the format) inclinations of players to hold back land after curve for Spellshapers, it's not that terrible to do so.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
EDIT: Moved non-limited stuff to other thread, so instead...

I'll talk about last night's draft, in which I ran UW Stalkers and tore people to shreds (really I cleaved them). It was a nine man draft, so I went 3-0 with a bye, lost one game to BU in which Ludevic's Test Subject flipped on turn 5 and I had nothing. so 6-1 in a pretty casual draft ain't half bad. Pulled Liliana and Reaper from the Abyss in the prize packs.

I passed a lot of great cards though that should have been instant main deck stuff, but that's learning. Thoughts/comments/gently caress yous welcomed.

Here's my deck:

Underneath the flash (sorry about that) are:

Runic Repetition
Rally the Peasants
Frightful Delusion
Butcher's Cleaver
Rebuke

Land - 8 Island, 8 Plains

Board:

Relevant Colors
Memory's Journey
Forbidden Alchemy
Smite the Monstrous
Purify the Grave
Ghostly Possession
Intangible Virtue (last pick? weird?)

Other poo poo
Mulch
Travel Prep
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Reckless Waif (wanted it + getting red signals from left)
Brain Weevil
Ghoulcaller's Bell
Demonmail Hauberk
Geistcatcher's Rig x2 (not sure how the gently caress that happened)

taladel fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 5, 2011

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

There's another magic thread for non-limited stuff http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

taladel posted:

Am I missing it, or does Dream Twist basically do nothing for you?

Lynchmob
Jun 19, 2001
Find hungry samurai!

Mornacale posted:

Am I missing it, or does Dream Twist basically do nothing for you?
Also, Runic Repetition. It's just unplayable without a serious, serious mill yourself deck.

I also think if you are really going to run Selfless Cathar, why not use Demonmail instead of some of the other stuff? Yet, why even run Selfless to begin with.

accordingtojosh
Jun 21, 2005
well.. i just passed someone a gift

http://imgur.com/8RiMM

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just got reamed out by a mono-black deck that went T2 Vampire Interloper, T3 Skirsdag High Priest. Thinking I had time to deal with the High Priest and needed to stop the immediate hits, I Claustrophobia'd his Interloper and played a Juggernaut.

His response? Diregraf Ghoul, Typhoid Rats, Victim of Night on my Juggernaut.

I guess a 5/5 flying Demon on turn 5 is pretty good.

Also, in an earlier round of that same draft I ran into a deck with TWO Stromkirk Nobles, a Reckless Waif, and two Ashmouth Hounds. That was probably a bad match to keep a hand with no plays until turn 3.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also, in an earlier round of that same draft I ran into a deck with TWO Stromkirk Nobles, a Reckless Waif, and two Ashmouth Hounds. That was probably a bad match to keep a hand with no plays until turn 3.

Daaamn, I don't think a single Stromkirk Noble showed up in the draft I did the other week, and there was about 30 players.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I drafted that deck a while ago. Here was round 1 game 1:

Game 2 I went Noble, Noble, Rakish Heir.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sorry for the newbie question but is that screen from MTGO or some other program?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sorry for the newbie question but is that screen from MTGO or some other program?

yes, MTGO

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

BizarroAzrael posted:

Isn't it obvious from the high-quality, sleek interface?

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Lynchmob posted:

Also, Runic Repetition. It's just unplayable without a serious, serious mill yourself deck.

I also think if you are really going to run Selfless Cathar, why not use Demonmail instead of some of the other stuff? Yet, why even run Selfless to begin with.

Yeah, I used it for Feeling of Dread and it won me a game, but in retrospect I should have boarded dream twist and runic repetition for smite and forbidden alchemy. Or I should have picked up any of the other cheap blue spells that came my way.

I made some poor decisions in this draft, but again, recognizing and correcting is the key.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I felt like I lucked my way into the 8-4 finals this time. I drafted a decent deck I think, but the games were full of lucky scrapes.

I got to live the dream; I drafted Essence of the Wild... and THREE Midnight Hauntings. Why yes, I WOULD like to cast 2 6/6 creatures at instant speed, how thoughtful of you to ask.

I lost (got curb-stomped, really) in finals to a guy who drafted a (foil) Mayor of Avabruck + Wolf Run.

Wolf Run happens.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
Had a really fun deck during the draft tonight at the LGS. Ended up with a Curse of Death's Hold, Falkenrath Marauders, Bitterheart Witch, and 2 Brimstone Volleys (among other things). Didn't win anything due to playing against a few ridiculous decks (Cackling Counterpart + Skaab Ruinator UW = Ouch. He also had a Grasp of Phantasms and 2 Silent Departures and enough removal to keep all of my creatures on lockdown. Mostly Priests and Feeling of Dreads).

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I've always been wary of self mill (What if I mill away my best cards?), but yesterday I got to play around when I drafted Skaab Ruinator, and I got to say, I'm turning around. That thing is just great, and since you can mill it out and still cast it, I don't feel bad when I see it in a Forbidden alchemy. Ended up going 3-0 after some hilarious comebacks with it.

What is the general idea behind self mill decks? Is it to fill them up with flashback cards and skaabs in Innistrad?

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Here is another draft video in which we get passed all of the rares.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Captain Capitalism posted:

I've always been wary of self mill (What if I mill away my best cards?), but yesterday I got to play around when I drafted Skaab Ruinator, and I got to say, I'm turning around. That thing is just great, and since you can mill it out and still cast it, I don't feel bad when I see it in a Forbidden alchemy. Ended up going 3-0 after some hilarious comebacks with it.

What is the general idea behind self mill decks? Is it to fill them up with flashback cards and skaabs in Innistrad?

Yeah. In the right deck (U/x in Innistrad) it's like you have two hands - your actual hand, and your graveyard. Think of self-mill as "drawing extra cards into your second hand", not as removing cards that you might have drawn. After all, you end up with the same number of draw steps no matter how much you mill yourself. Due to that fact, there's an equal chance that you end up drawing your bomb creature due to the mill, as there is milling it into the 'yard. The only danger is milling yourself out, which is very possible to do in Innistrad blue decks, so be careful when your library gets low and you're not going to kill your opponent soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I just want to check if this is a legitimate play: say I had 2 Bloodghasts and a Bloodthrone Vampire out and declared I was attacking with them. The opponent then opts to block the Bloodghasts with two creatures and let the Bloodthrone through. I then declate that I am sacrificing the Bloodghasts to activate the Bloodthrone's power and give her +4/+4 for the turn, and so she does an extra 4 damage to the opponent's life. Gatherer on Bloodthrone Vampire says you can declare sacrifices in the declare blockers stage, but can the opponent then reassign blockers?