Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Mr. Fun posted:

Edit: After testing this, fly seems to come out if you keep holding back before hitting special for a fly command, not an exchange. What situation of a missed input are you guys referring to?

It's might not necessarily be a missed input, it could be just the timing of the inputs. I play Nova, and while trying to learn his fly/unfly combos I always seemed to either accidentally air exchange or get his qcb+h despite the input display clearly showing that I pressed S before pressing H. With lots of practice and altering the timing of the inputs, my success rate in performing the combo has gone way up. I still get the occasional air exchange or human rocket, bit I'm slowly eliminating their occurrence through sheer repetition. Eventually it'll be 100 percent muscle memory and it SHOULD come out without me even having to think about it.

In your case, you may be hitting S too early. You don't need to hit S the exact same time as the final directional input. The game will keep that final input long enough for you to return the stick to neutral then hit s. It really is just a matter of finding the right timing, then repeating it ad nauseum. Then the next challenge is taking your practiced skills into the chaos of a real match and executing your combos despite your nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fieldmedic
Apr 21, 2007

Suppositories For Everyone!
Anyone know where I can find videos from last nights WNF?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fieldmedic posted:

Anyone know where I can find videos from last nights WNF?

If you like commentary, best WNF yet.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/301399039

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Steve Scott is Yipes-tier good at commentating, my god. He did the impossible and make me appreciate Vergil "Swords of Revealing Light" Sparda.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Steve is entertaining, but he isn't really insightful like Yipes is. I mean he's not stupid, but his game knowledge just isn't there to do both color and play-by-play rolled into one like Yipes does if you actually listen to what he says instead of just laughing at his catchphrases.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Yeah, I guess that's fair.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Countblanc posted:

Steve is entertaining, but he isn't really insightful like Yipes is. I mean he's not stupid, but his game knowledge just isn't there to do both color and play-by-play rolled into one like Yipes does if you actually listen to what he says instead of just laughing at his catchphrases.

This is exactly why Steve and Yipes need to commentate together.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Countblanc posted:

This is pretty much why I liked Steve showing up but I don't want all-Steve-all-the-time

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Countblanc posted:

"James Chen, do you actually know the names of all the moves?"

I definitely would rather have him on than UltraDavid though. The matches were so much more enjoyable when the commentators were excited to commentate.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I'm almost certain this was never brought up in the thread, but Max has been running his Online Warrior series and just released his fourth episode yesterday. I'm catching up on the first few and already learning quite a bit. That aside, he's just fun to listen to/watch. So drat knowledgeable.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Who has advice for fighting Cap with Sentinel? I feel like Cap is a pretty bad matchup because when he's shield slashing he's just out of range for c.M and s.M, Shield Slashing all the time makes it hard to fly or wavedash into his face and hit him with the boots, he's always jumping so he's hard to tag with Laser Spit, and when he's in there his normals are way faster than Sent's. I feel like the only tool that can hit him is a well placed rocket punch.

The Cap player I was playing would start combos with whatever cap's magic series is but every once in a while he'd switch launcher for cartwheel and reset me. I thought it was a pretty decent reset.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So I was playing some Player Matches with this random xbox guy the other day and I think I ended up beating him like a couple times in a row, and then I guess he rage quit or something. Anyway, like the next day I check my messages and he sends me a voice message.

In the voice message he apologizes for rage quitting, and admits that I was better than him.

I am still in shock. My faith in humanity is like, just a little bit restored. Maybe I'll have enough to last me through Christmas.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Micgael posted:

I definitely would rather have him on than UltraDavid though. The matches were so much more enjoyable when the commentators were excited to commentate.

Steve doesn't know most of the move names in Marvel because he's a Tekken player. Despite that, he was able to keep up with the pace of the match onscreen better than Chen could.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Micgael posted:

This. UltraDavid seems like an alright guy, but James and Steve is a 100000000000% better commentary team than James and UltraDavid.

One of these days I hope we get to see Steve paired with Zhi on commentary. :allears:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone got any good videos of Captain America play at a high level? I'm trying to pick him up but I can't get his moves to chain together, I'm confused by which of his LMH charge moves I should use when.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Rokstar posted:

This. UltraDavid seems like an alright guy, but James and Steve is a 100000000000% better commentary team than James and UltraDavid.

One of these days I hope we get to see Steve paired with Zhi on commentary. :allears:

Yeah the problem is that neither Chen nor David are color (though I'm sure some people would disagree), and their knowledge isn't really that far up there, for MvC at least.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Countblanc posted:

Yeah the problem is that neither Chen nor David are color (though I'm sure some people would disagree), and their knowledge isn't really that far up there, for MvC at least.

I don't mind ultradavid. I'm quite happy to listen both him and chen when they commentate together, but chen definitely seems more friendly and endearing compared to Ultradavid is quite....well not humourless, but more straight-laced which means he's not as charismatic when he's commentating.

I haven't heard much of this New guy yet, just sitting down to watch the WNF archive now while I'm eating my dinner but given what everyone is saying I'm interested to hear what he's like.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone got any good videos of Captain America play at a high level? I'm trying to pick him up but I can't get his moves to chain together, I'm confused by which of his LMH charge moves I should use when.

I believe Alex Valle uses him. Don't know if you would consider him high level or not, but he's in a few of the WNF videos.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Oh man I'm watching the WNF replay and Ponce did a cool thing where he xfactor canceled a whiffed meteor smash into Skrull's command grab. Totally stealing that.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

duffath posted:

I don't mind ultradavid. I'm quite happy to listen both him and chen when they commentate together, but chen definitely seems more friendly and endearing compared to Ultradavid is quite....well not humourless, but more straight-laced which means he's not as charismatic when he's commentating.

The problem is Chen talks too goddamn much and needs someone who's louder and more excited than he is to shut him up when something exciting happens, whereas ultradavid will just let him finish his longwinded (and often wrong) explanation of what happened 10 seconds ago.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
They need to stop saying "resets!" "oh man we've got resets!" and other variations at the same time.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They need to stop saying "reset" when someone just fucks up and drops a combo against someone who fails to block correctly.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Brosnan posted:

The problem is Chen talks too goddamn much and needs someone who's louder and more excited than he is to shut him up when something exciting happens, whereas ultradavid will just let him finish his longwinded (and often wrong) explanation of what happened 10 seconds ago.

Yeah this. Most of the time a lot of cool poo poo would just go down and it would just be drowned in an explanation by James Chen. Steve was just really exciting.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Brosnan posted:

Yeah this is my problem with Chen, he tends to go far to much into "oh hey something happened and the reason that this thing happened is, they actually changed a thing regarding this kind of situation that allows for the thing we just saw happen to happen, because what they changed was in fact that oh wait the match is over?". I get that he is trying to explain stuff for people that might not know and it's elitist to whine about it but I mean his explanations are usually crap and take way too long for it to matter anyway.

I don't really like UD either because whenever he commentates his tone of voice is like, anti-hype. I can't describe it any other way. Then again my fav commentator is actually spooky so what the hell do I know right!!

*edit* also new guy owned

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Brosnan posted:

They need to stop saying "reset" when someone just fucks up and drops a combo against someone who fails to block correctly.

This accounts for 99% of it, hence my gripe :twisted:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

apophenium posted:

Oh man I'm watching the WNF replay and Ponce did a cool thing where he xfactor canceled a whiffed meteor smash into Skrull's command grab. Totally stealing that.

Speaking of which, does X-factoring store your inputs like reacing to a hyper does?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cinroth posted:

I don't really like UD either because whenever he commentates his tone of voice is like, anti-hype. I can't describe it any other way. Then again my fav commentator is actually spooky so what the hell do I know right!!

It's ok, Spooky and MegamanSteve are my favorites.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I really like Arturo, even when he's bitching about his characters. :negative:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
You know, I just realized something. I like UltraDavid, I like Chen, but I'm not really a fan when they are both together.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dosvidanya posted:

They need to stop saying "resets!" "oh man we've got resets!" and other variations at the same time.

They also say "that's a dead <insert character>" way too often. It's a little too gimmicky to just be describing what's happening, but not interesting enough to warrant hearing every time someone's point dies.

Cinroth posted:

Yeah this is my problem with Chen, he tends to go far to much into "oh hey something happened and the reason that this thing happened is, they actually changed a thing regarding this kind of situation that allows for the thing we just saw happen to happen, because what they changed was in fact that oh wait the match is over?"

I think this is a larger problem with the way streams are done that I don't know how to fix without a huge ramp up in effort and probably manpower. In an ideal world, fighting game commentary looks just like football commentary. Strict play-by-play during the action, with replays of key moments with more in-depth explanations of what we're seeing in between. With button checks and player changes, there's more than enough time for that to happen, but I don't know how you, as a commentator, scrub to the moment of the replay you want and have it queued up. It'd add to the complexity a lot, but I think it would add a lot as well.

Basically, very similar to what Cross Counter started as.

Thundercracker posted:

Speaking of which, does X-factoring store your inputs like reacing to a hyper does?

Yes.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

I really like both Chen and UltraDavid. Seriously, they are probably the two commentators I secretly wish are commetating whenever I tune-in.

Also this is an interesting read about the subject of commetators if you haven't already read it.

Percity
Oct 24, 2006

The best commentator is Justin Wong because he will sit there and accurately predict every move in the match or talk about what a player should be doing and be right about it. A good example is that neo/clockwork MvC2 money match that happened a while ago (which is great and you should watch it even if you never played Marvel 2)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Percity posted:

The best commentator is Justin Wong because he will sit there and accurately predict every move in the match or talk about what a player should be doing and be right about it. A good example is that neo/clockwork MvC2 money match that happened a while ago (which is great and you should watch it even if you never played Marvel 2)

He also can get hype and is perfectly willing to just talk about any old bullshit in downtime. I recall during Devastation there was some time between AE matches that needed to be filled so UD asked him whether he thought Oni was Gouken or Akuma, just to have some conversation. So they just talked about that for a bit until things were going again. Sure it wasn't insightful match commentary or anything, but it was still related to the game, was fun to listen to because they also talked a little bit about the characters' play styles, and it wasn't James Chen bitching about Cammy/Arturo bitching about Dhalsim (though that did provide a hilarious moment at SB.) The problem is Jwong can't commentate on tournaments because he is obviously in them.

I think replays are going to help a lot for filling down time and for explanation, which should help out commentary during the matches. It'll take some time for people to get used to using them, though.

And regarding Ultradavid and James Chen, UD is fine with anyone who isn't James Chen and James Chen is fine with anyone who isn't UD. They're too similar, so they end up being being kind of boring together.

Edit: One thing I've been thinking about that is definitely going to cause some friction is making fun of or calling out people. I know small communities like ribbing each other, and some light hearted ribbing is fine, but take for example commentators talking about how Floe tends to choke. I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't like the abuse about that or the Floe face, and it probably adds unwanted pressure on him during matches. I am not at all saying that mistakes during matches shouldn't be pointed out, because knowing where people messed up is extremely helpful, but there has to be some kind of line that people should agree on. Also there should be absolutely no misogyny or anything like that, and that shouldn't even need to be debated.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 2, 2011

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Boxman posted:

They also say "that's a dead <insert character>" way too often. It's a little too gimmicky to just be describing what's happening, but not interesting enough to warrant hearing every time someone's point dies.

Crutch words or phrases are common for non-professional or inexperienced speakers when they cant think of anything else. I actually have radio experience and still found myself doing this when I did commentary for a local tournament.

Boxman posted:

I think this is a larger problem with the way streams are done that I don't know how to fix without a huge ramp up in effort and probably manpower. In an ideal world, fighting game commentary looks just like football commentary. Strict play-by-play during the action, with replays of key moments with more in-depth explanations of what we're seeing in between. With button checks and player changes, there's more than enough time for that to happen, but I don't know how you, as a commentator, scrub to the moment of the replay you want and have it queued up. It'd add to the complexity a lot, but I think it would add a lot as well.

These are my thoughts exactly. The addition of a proper and easy to use instant replay system would improve stream viewing immensely. It would stop awkward moments where they go off on tangents and stop paying attention to what's actually going on at the moment. It would also allow for James to properly explain things with a visual aid to engage the viewers and also fill in the downtime between matches and button checks. I don't think it would require too much extra manpower if the color commentator queued up everything for himself.

Didn't one of the recent tournaments have an instant replay set up?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Percity posted:

I agree with everything in this post. I never really played mvc2, I watched that match a couple weeks ago and god drat I wanted to learn that game.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

chumbler posted:

Also there should be absolutely no misogyny or anything like that, and that shouldn't even need to be debated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU378JRzsuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The running sets he did with the female SF4 player was awkward as hell too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

chumbler posted:

Edit: One thing I've been thinking about that is definitely going to cause some friction is making fun of or calling out people. I know small communities like ribbing each other, and some light hearted ribbing is fine, but take for example commentators talking about how Floe tends to choke. I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't like the abuse about that or the Floe face, and it probably adds unwanted pressure on him during matches. I am not at all saying that mistakes during matches shouldn't be pointed out, because knowing where people messed up is extremely helpful, but there has to be some kind of line that people should agree on. Also there should be absolutely no misogyny or anything like that, and that shouldn't even need to be debated.

I agree with you about commentators not making fun of people and calling people out. It really puts me off to hear a commentator poo poo on someone. One of the best things about UD and James Chen is that they try to never be overly critical. JWong has really insightful commentary but he can be very critical of other players, to the point of being mean.

Bosushi!, WNF has instant replay but they don't always use it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bosushi! posted:

Didn't one of the recent tournaments have an instant replay set up?

Yes, some of them are starting to use it, and it's been pretty cool so far.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

and it wasn't James Chen bitching about Cammy/Arturo bitching about Dhalsim (though that did provide a hilarious moment at SB.)

That's very unfair to Art.

He also bitches about Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
The talk about Justin Wong's commentating reminded me of the fact that I don't recall seeing him, or other high-name players like Floe, Marn, or Mike Ross, at WNFs. Any reason for that? I could be making this up, since I only just got back into watching tournament streams because of Ultimate's release, so that's only two weeks of watching? Not sure.

• Locked thread