Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm ready for a new game to play, and I am thinking about playing through Max Payne 1 and 2. How have they aged? Are they still fun? howlongtobeat.com says it's about 7 hours for the first game which is good, I don't want to invest hours of time into a game right now. Around Christmas time I'll have more time and I'm thinking about plowing through an RPG around that time, maybe Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age: Origins.

Admittedly I have a good tolerance to those kinds of things, and nostalgia probably played a part, but I replayed Max Payne 1 & 2 not too long ago and still had a blast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Saoshyant posted:

Max Payne 1 requires a patch to make the sound work on modern systems. It may also freak out and start minimizing constantly until you figure how to trick it into stop doing it. The game looks ugly as hell. It's full of cheap deaths everywhere and you'll be constantly quick saving/reloading. And in spite of all this I heartily recommend it because I had a hell of a time playing it for the first time some months ago.
Seconding this. MP1 had lots of bullshit traps but I still love it. MP2 is just as good and has less cheap deaths. Here's the link to the MP1 sound fix for Vista/7. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848215 I did it last night and the game works fine.

Speaking of, I cleared MP2 off my backlog recently. :) But it was sort of negated by goon kindness. :unsmith: I think I'll be hovering around 150 unbeaten games forever.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 1, 2011

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Both Max Payne games are fantastic, especially since I'm pretty sure they were two of the last major 3rd person shooters actually designed for the PC. It's such a huge difference playing a 3rd person game that isn't a port, even if it's like 10 years old by now. Also the bullettime gimmick was so amazing before it got run into the ground.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Time for another monthly report:
(If people mind these ill stop.)

29-11 Unfinished: Batman: Arkham City (Steam)
28-11 Completed: Rush (Steam)
28-11 Beat: Rush (Steam)
22-11 Beat: Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts (Steam)
19-11 Beat: Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy (Steam)
11-11 Completed: Orcs Must Die! - Lost Adventures (Steam)
09-11 Beat: Orcs Must Die! - Lost Adventures (Steam)
06-11 Completed: Orcs Must Die! (Steam)
02-11 Beat: Orcs Must Die! (Steam)

29-11 New Game: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Steam)
27-11 New Game: Rush (Steam)
26-11 New Game: Limbo (Steam)
26-11 New Game: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link (Steam)
26-11 New Game: SpaceChem: 63 Corvi Mission (Steam)
26-11 New Game: Flight Control HD (Steam)
25-11 New Game: Breath of Death VII (Steam)
25-11 New Game: Cthulhu Saves the World (Steam)
23-11 New Game: Hamilton's Great Adventure - Retro Fever (Steam)
23-11 New Game: The Binding Of Isaac (Steam)
=start of steam sale=
18-11 New Game: Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy (Steam)
18-11 New Game: Braid (Steam)
17-11 New Game: Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road (Steam)
17-11 New Game: Saints Row: The Third (Steam)
16-11 New Game: Sideway™ New York (Steam)
08-11 New Game: Orcs Must Die! - Lost Adventures (Steam)

Not that bad, I didn't even buy myself that many games; they where mostly gives to me. (I can blame my backlog on others yay!)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Zedd posted:

Time for another monthly report:
(If people mind these ill stop.)

Well, I think they're fun, though I also think they're more fun if there's an arc to them, because otherwise you could just link your Memory Card on Backloggery.

My month was pretty eventful...

When last we left our fearless hero, we were mid-battle against the first Indie Royale Bundle...
11-02-11: New Game: Bastion
11-02-11: Beat: Nimbus (Unforgiving, but a really fun variant platformer.)

A wild Voxatron Humble Bundle appears! But those games aren't finished yet so only the bonus content goes on the backlog.
11-04-11: New Game: Blocks That Matter
11-04-11: New Game: The Binding of Isaac

It goes into the rotation as we continue to work on the first Indie Royale bundle.
11-06-11: Beat: A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda (Skip it)
11-11-11: Beat: Blocks That Matter (Cute and fun if it's something you like, enraging if it isn't)

The second Indie Royale bundle comes charging in...
11-11-11: New Game: Scoregasm
11-11-11: New Game: NightSky
11-12-11: New Game: Bullet Candy: Perfect
11-12-11: New Game: Irukandji

And is swiftly crushed, mostly. The adventures came pre-crushed, and Fate of the World crushed back.
11-12-11: Beat: Scoregasm (Minimally competent, quite possibly by accident)
11-12-11: Beat: Irukandji (Trash)
11-12-11: Beat: Bullet Candy: Perfect (Trash, but at least still better than the original Bullet Candy)
11-13-11: Beat: NightSky (Amazing physics puzzle-platformer)

A gift from someone awesome who I think still wishes to remain anonymous...
11-13-11: New Game: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

... leading in to the Steam Thanksgiving Sale, doing great damage while I still work on the last of the Very Difficult Bundle.
11-19-11: Completed: NightSky (Yes, it was that good. Alternative mode is pretty rough, though.)
11-24-11: New Game: Fallout: New Vegas
11-24-11: New Game: Dungeons of Dredmor
11-26-11: Beat: Fate of the World (Simple interface, deep model, all the safeties off)
11-26-11: New Game: LIMBO
11-27-11: New Game: Puzzle Agent 2
11-27-11: New Game: Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

And then, persistence leads us to the end of a long road.
11-29-11: Beat: Might and Magic IV-V - World of Xeen (And now I know why people like RPGs)

Overall, I lost ground - and this isn't even including the non-backlog games I got, like Bejeweled 3, or the backlogged games I forgot I had, like Trauma. But I got a decent mix of new and old, so I'd say it's working out for me. I also completed Puzzle Agent 2, which was honestly a bit of a step down from 1, but I didn't beat it in time for this month's recap. So I'm already ahead of the game for December! :unsmith:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Good idea.

Now that I read your list, is there any way for the backloggery to use proper day-month-year formatting? It annoys me more then it should.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm ready for a new game to play, and I am thinking about playing through Max Payne 1 and 2. How have they aged? Are they still fun?

They're still great. Surprisingly the sequel is not better or worse than the first game, just different mainly because the time slowdown mechanic works a bit differently. First has better action, second has better atmosphere and locations. Also better sawn-off shotgun which is just too much fun to use.

Max Payne has the best video game music I can recall offhand. The piano theme in MP1 is one of my favorite themes of all time. I get so pumped up for some noir action every time it starts.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished off both endings of Bastion. I can see why everyone raves about it; the music is beautiful, the game looks great, runs well, and is a blast to play. I think I'm done with it now that I've seen both endings, but if I weren't, I could see the new game + mode and the Shrine giving it a lot of replayability, too.

My one complaint is that there's no way to mix the control schemes; aiming with the gamepad is a bitch, but so is moving with the keyboard. It would be nice if I could play gamepad+mouse.

Next up is probably Dead Space 2, which - if it's anything like the first one - will be fun but fairly short.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I just beat Night Sky and goddamn what a clever little puzzle platformer. It's sharp, looks great, has awesome music, and doesn't overstay its welcome at about 2 hours the first time through with an alternate, harder set of levels you can also take a go at + a secret level to unlock.

I loved the pinball and vehicle sections the most but overall there's not a bad thing I can say about it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Yodzilla posted:

So I just beat Night Sky and goddamn what a clever little puzzle platformer. It's sharp, looks great, has awesome music, and doesn't overstay its welcome at about 2 hours the first time through with an alternate, harder set of levels you can also take a go at + a secret level to unlock.

I loved the pinball and vehicle sections the most but overall there's not a bad thing I can say about it.

NightSky is so good. The only thing I would have said against it was that it was a little too easy, but then the Alternative levels ended that complaint real quick. Not only is it a clever puzzle platformer, it uses mechanics I'm not used to seeing in them. I've never seen friction be so important. NightSky was the first Backlog game I've had where I couldn't just leave it at "Beaten" and had to 100% it before moving on.

Unfortunately, both Puzzle Agent 2 and TRAUMA were disappointments, though they were also over quick. I also picked up Hyper Princess Pitch, by the creator of Hero Core and Iji, and while I can't say it blew me away...

Well, OK, I guess I can say it blew me away, or at least that the title screen (pictured above) did, but I can't say I was hugely impressed. It's cute and inoffensive, at least, though, and you also get to piledriver trains. And it's a free download, so the bar's a bit lower.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 2, 2011

Legend of Voltron
Jul 8, 2003

From days of long ago...
Just finished Mirror's Edge. The ending was terrible. Kick a guy off a helicopter, that's all.

I really didn't 'get' the combat near the end. I just played it like a run and gun using cover. What's the right way to do that?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Legend of Voltron posted:

I really didn't 'get' the combat near the end. I just played it like a run and gun using cover. What's the right way to do that?

You can do that or you can disarm one of the dudes and run around blasting too. But yeah it's mostly about keeping mobile and there's even an achievement for not initiating combat with anyone.

The story and ending were definitely bad in Mirror's Edge but I still really liked the game and I can always appreciate it when a company like EA takes a chance.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Yesterday was a momentous day for me, as after over a decade, I FINALLY beat Deus Ex!

I first bought the game when it first came out, but having never played many FPSes before, I sucked at it and grew frustrated each time. Welp, back to the shelf.

Fast forward to 2009. I get back into PC gaming and pick the GotY Edition up on a Steam sale. A few mods later and I'm up and running again. Only, I get bored and quit around Hong Kong.

Two years later, I decide "what the hell" and try playing it again, this time on Realistic mode at the suggestion of these forums. Finally, the game "clicks" with me as I realize that the developers probably intended you to play on Realistic in the first place. I get to the level where you blow up the supertanker... and the game glitches and corrupts my only save. Frustrated, I leave it behind again.

Then, about a week ago, I finally decide that I'm gonna beat the loving thing. Realistic mode again, Small Guns/Low-Tech specialization because that's the way to go, and this time I frequently create new saves in case I run into another glitch. drat did it feel good to finally become the cybernetic hive-mind overlord of the world.

Afterwards, I also knocked out NyxQuest because it's short and another game off my massive queue. Fun little platformer, though I wouldn't pay more than the $2.50 I did for it.

Being unemployed leaves you a lot of time for vidya games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ManxomeBromide posted:

Unfortunately, both Puzzle Agent 2 and TRAUMA were disappointments, though they were also over quick. I also picked up Hyper Princess Pitch, by the creator of Hero Core and Iji, and while I can't say it blew me away...

Well, OK, I guess I can say it blew me away, or at least that the title screen (pictured above) did, but I can't say I was hugely impressed. It's cute and inoffensive, at least, though, and you also get to piledriver trains. And it's a free download, so the bar's a bit lower.

Now that I've played it some, "cute and inoffensive but that's about it" sums it up pretty well. It's a cute short game (with terrible controls but great music) but it can't help but be kind of a letdown after Hero Core and especially Iji.

On the other hand it was worth downloading just for the music and cutscenes, so.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Over the past month I've been slowly adding my entire game collection to this backloggery site. That in and of itself was an achievement. Finally finished today. http://www.backloggery.com/rikimaru_d3

I finally completed BioShock today. I can't say I really enjoyed it. The story, graphics, sound, enemy and level designs were all top notch. However, after I figured out every level devolved into the same general format. Go into level, hack everything you see, beat enemies to death with wrench until you die, respawn, club anything you missed to death with wrench. On and on until the end of the game.

I did harvest all the little sisters because gently caress those creepy shits. Looks like it effects the ending of the game. Can't say I give a drat to go back and save them all to see the other ending.

Now to play Skyward Sword!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
;p Did you know about the uploader in the OP's second post?

Also can you really blame the game being boring if you're one using a silly strategy?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I beat FEAR 3 on Insanity with Fettel and ate my mom. What a loving fun game for anyone looking to blast people apart in lots of really satisfying ways. Pretty drat challenging on the hardest difficulty too but Fettel is so overpowered that it's still easier than as Pointman on lower difficulties save for a few sections.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Also can you really blame the game being boring if you're one using a silly strategy?

Silly or not, it worked. Haven't heard a lot of good things about the second game. I'll get to it some day.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Skyrim is awesome, but playing it just makes me want to go back and beat Morrowind. I'm sure I put at least 100 hours into that game, but it was all invested in creating new characters and dicking around. I think I should at least play through the main quest line once. The nice thing is, I hear it can be done in like two minutes :v:.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Rikimaru posted:

Silly or not, it worked. Haven't heard a lot of good things about the second game. I'll get to it some day.

Other than story wise and maybe a few neat areas I'd say Bioshock 2 is in most ways better than 1. The combat is a huge step up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BeanBandit posted:

Skyrim is awesome, but playing it just makes me want to go back and beat Morrowind. I'm sure I put at least 100 hours into that game, but it was all invested in creating new characters and dicking around. I think I should at least play through the main quest line once. The nice thing is, I hear it can be done in like two minutes :v:.

The current SDA record is just over four, think you can beat that? :v:

I don't think I've ever beaten it with less than 40h on the save file, but I always spend a lot of time sidequesting and whatnot.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm ready for a new game to play, and I am thinking about playing through Max Payne 1 and 2. How have they aged? Are they still fun? howlongtobeat.com says it's about 7 hours for the first game which is good, I don't want to invest hours of time into a game right now. Around Christmas time I'll have more time and I'm thinking about plowing through an RPG around that time, maybe Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age: Origins.

A buddy of mine told me that he got Max Payne 2 for Christmas and cleared it before his family was even done opening presents. I believed him. The Max Payne games really can be described as "short and sweet", in that they're both just a few hours long but still manage to be excellent. Personally, I had absolutely no desire to play through either one ever again after I beat them, though. This was about seven years ago, so I really can't say how well they aged.

So yeah, knock those out in a couple of afternoons if you're up for a film noir plot and a day of chugging painkillers while mowing down hundreds of henchman.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Rikimaru posted:

I did harvest all the little sisters because gently caress those creepy shits. Looks like it effects the ending of the game. Can't say I give a drat to go back and save them all to see the other ending.
Yeah don't worry about a replay, it's just a couple minutes of cutscene, everything else is exactly the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3nBbo-uyZo

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Alright, getting in on this.

237 Uncompleted PC games. God help us all.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Finally finished the main quest in Skyrim. Of course, I'm nowhere close to actually being done playing it, but I can mark it off as Beaten. I'll probably rap up a couple of minor quests on my main character, than give it a break for a while.

I bought Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People during the Steam sale, and have started Episode 1. Pretty fun, makes up for the fact that there haven't been any new cartoons in a while. I kinda suck at adventure games, though, and already had to look up a hint for something that was pretty obvious in hindsight. I'll try to keep from doing that any more, though.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm gonna ignore the "Completed" category. I'll only include my Steam games, since I don't have any backlog in my consoles.

Also, some games I had beaten on consoles before I bought them on PC.

:v:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Imma join in on the fun. This thread is going to drive me to complete it I hope. Unfortunately I feel it will get worse before it gets better with the steam Christmas sale around the corner.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of torn how to classify Binding of Isaac at this point.

I've completed Sheol with all six characters, which pretty much is the culmination of finishing the game. That said, I'm still missing 3 of the "take no damage in X levels" achievements and 3 of the "unlock Y item" achievements (Necronomicon/Shears/Bandage) to get Golden God. I've got 118 of the items picked up.

I guess with the Backloggery definition it's still not Completed, but the rest of the achievements are basically just reloading the game repeatedly to hope for the last few items to spawn (you can cheese the no-damage achievements if the RNG likes you).

Still, at 25 hours I'm more than happy with it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Last time I checked completion doesn't even mention achievements.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Morter posted:

Last time I checked completion doesn't even mention achievements.

But it does say "all items of note have been collected", for which the Golden God requirements seem like a plausible candidate. It's obnoxious, though, because some of those items require very lucky rolls, and "Completed Sheol with all characters" would seem to match the "beaten on the hardest difficulty" or equivalent.

Further, possibly spoily details: The Bandage requires you to face all four of the Harbringers in a single game, which requires either a series of lucky breaks on your optional-boss rolls, or luck manipulation with the Book of Revelations. The Binding of Isaac wiki seems a little unclear on how reliable the Book of Revelations is at forcing Harbringer fights.

Some mitigating details: I've seen people on my friendslist get the Golden God achievement without the * Boy achievements, so those are entirely optional, and I have heard rumors that the Shears are likewise not necessary.

Which leaves the last one: Spamming Death cards for the Necronomicon, which I think may be doable across playthroughs. If not, it's going to be an annoying diceluck case like the Bandage. Maybe Battery/Tarot Deck?

I'm going on research here, not personal experience: this is all far beyond my present progress. I've only managed to unlock Judas's Fez, which I'm treating as the Beaten achievement, but Completed is far, far off.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey, have hope, everyone. At least you're not this guy!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/techanalyst/games?tab=all

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I've finished the first two episodes of the Strong Bad game. Backloggery is counting them as separate games, so this is making it look like I'm making progress, woo!

Anyways, these are fun little games, and I was enjoying the second one even more than the first, up until the unskippable time-consuming Maps & Minions minigame at the end. It wasn't as funny as the rest of the game (and what jokes there were got repeated multiple times), the gameplay was confusing, and it just ruined the mood and momentum of the game up until that point. Really sucks that they decided to end the episode on it. Oh well, on to the next one!

Discreet Gnome
Mar 29, 2006

Gnome Gnome Gnome.
Picked up Tropico 3 with the expansion, thinking it would be simple, sort of like playing Akimi Village/Kingdom of Keflings.

I can barely get past the first scenario. Now I'm scared to try anything past Civ III.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Discreet Gnome posted:

Picked up Tropico 3 with the expansion, thinking it would be simple, sort of like playing Akimi Village/Kingdom of Keflings.

I can barely get past the first scenario. Now I'm scared to try anything past Civ III.

I really struggled too but once I watched a YouTube video it all seemed to click. If you don't want to watch a video then here are some tips;

1. Mines! They make loads even without converting the gold into jewellery or iron into weapons. This means your unskilled workers are actually valuable. Downside is that they have limited resources.
2. Tobacco > Cigars is another good alternative since the above will run out. (basically do any industry but mines are the best for unskilled)
3. You're a dictator. Who cares if your people die? Have a well fed and housed army before the general population so rebels are dealt with.
4. Get humanitarian aid from America first and then the Russians. Healthcare is more use than the half price housing to start with since it's basically saying college level of education v replacements for the shacks.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

And I continue my slow plod through Season 1 of Sam & Max by beating Episode 103. Kind of lame compared to the first two eps of the season, though, so I cheated my way through a lot of it. :ssh:

Next up: Finally getting to the end of Fallout 3.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Next up: Finally getting to the end of Fallout 3.
I finally did this a couple months ago, and it goes really quickly if you just focus on moving the main storyline along. I found it to be a pretty disappointing experience though.

I discovered the Full Combat Rebalance mod for the Witcher, so I started another playthrough on that... so much for playing anything else for at least a month. I'm really enjoying it though, the combat is much more interesting and challenging.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I discovered the Full Combat Rebalance mod for the Witcher, so I started another playthrough on that... so much for playing anything else for at least a month. I'm really enjoying it though, the combat is much more interesting and challenging.

What's the new combat system on this mod like? I put down The Witcher around the beginning of Chapter 4 because the original system is dull as dirt.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

What's the new combat system on this mod like? I put down The Witcher around the beginning of Chapter 4 because the original system is dull as dirt.
Oh man, there's a whole new manual for all the changes, but basically, monsters are actually a threat now, and you HAVE to use potions, oils and your signs in combat. The core mechanics of clicking to attack are the same, but you have to pay attention and actively dodge, especially when you're fighting more than one enemy at a time, so no more standing in one spot and just clicking the mouse over and over. The talent trees have been overhauled, the number of monsters has been reduced, monster difficulty and XP has been changed, and pretty much all the stats have been reworked, in addition to a ton of other tweaks that make a huge difference in gameplay. One of the goals of the mod was to bring the game more in line with the character from the books, so you're like an actual monster hunter now, rather than somebody who wanders around bumping into easy monsters constantly. I'm playing on the default "Hard" mode, which is the easiest out of the 3 new difficulties, and it is actually pretty hard. I'm only in Chapter I still, so I haven't been to the infamous swamp yet, but it's supposed to make places like that much less terrible. It's all really well done, the guy who made the mod was hired to work on the Witcher 2.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

And that's Dead Space 2 taken care of! Overall, a fun time. Unlike DS1, it's not even pretending to be a horror game, but despite that it sticks pretty closely to the formula DS1 laid out. The biggest difference zero-gravity is hugely improved and none of the weapons are completely useless (although some are still clearly better than others). And if you hit the end craving more, New Game + comes with some NG+-exclusive gear and an optional "Hardcore" mode in which the game pulls no punches, there are no checkpoints, and you are limited to three savegames ever.

On the other hand, the environments feel a lot less varied than they did in DS1 (which didn't have a great deal of variation to begin with!) and I rather miss DS1's boss fights and minigames. They were a fun break from slaughtering swarms of lesser necromorphs. The closest thing DS2 has to a boss is an unkillable, regenerating necromorph that chases you through the last two chapters of the game.

Overall, a fun time, but I preferred DS1 and I don't see myself likely to revisit either of them.

Humans: completely trivial unless they flank you. Dodging is vital to avoid getting surrounded and cut down.

Monsters: less numerous but much more difficult. You feel more like a monster hunter and less like the protagonist of Diablo, and the use of signs and alchemy is now much more important.

Skill tree: completely reworked to support the above two points.

And yeah, CD Projekt were so impressed with the original version of this mod that they hired the author to do the combat for The Witcher 2 (which, AFAICT, everyone cites as one of the major improvements over TW1). The reason version 1.5 took so long to come out is that he was spending all of his time on TW2's combat system instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've been bad about my Steam games lately. I managed to "beat" The Binding of Isaac, and blew through a few graphic adventures. I'd started making decent progress again in Frozen Synapse and Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. So I was feeling moderately smug, but then I was gifted The Last Express over on GOG, so I went to look at my available GOG downloads.

:stare: :psylon: :gonk:

I've suddenly discovered a huge chunk of games I don't remember getting:
  • Beneath a Steel Sky
  • Dragonsphere
  • Lure of the Temptress
  • Teen Agent
  • Tyrian 2000
  • Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
These are all freebies, though, so I may have just snagged them all at some point. I'm not sure where I got these, but I think they must have been free promos at some point too:
  • Mean Streets
  • Martian Memorandum
  • Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
  • Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Which leaves these, which some searching found proper receipts for:
  • Master of Orion
  • Master of Orion II
  • Rayman Forever
  • Rayman 2
  • Rayman 3
  • Crusader: No Remorse
I must have impulse bought these at some point because (except for Rayman 2 and 3) I played the crap out of them in college. I don't think I actually ever finished Crusader: No Remorse though, and it's still all the sociopathic fun it was. I tried to play Bastion and Limbo and in both cases I had to stop because I knew that somewhere out there, WEC scum remained unmurdered. A completely unacceptable state of affairs!

I also gave Rayman Forever a bit of a shot, but holy crap, the first Rayman is bad. The graphics are decent, and the music is good to great, but the gameplay is the worst I've ever seen outside of pranks on the player like I Wanna Be The Guy. Some of the nastier levels from the PS1 version seem to be missing in the PC version, but they made up for it by making the goddamn scavenger hunt aspect more opaque. I'm not convinced this game is playable without a walkthrough.

Anything worth checking out on the first two lists? I haven't even heard of most of these games. Tyrian 2000 and Ultima IV I beat long ago, but the rest are complete ciphers to me.