Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Artists take note:

How to do a portfolio piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHahbKFONF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Makes me wonder if SD is done with ID Tech.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Aliginge posted:

Artists take note:

How to do a portfolio piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHahbKFONF8

This guy is sat to my right. We're working together at the moment He's talented as heck and oh so very modest! :)

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 1, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
EDIT: I really, really think I need to shush my stupid big mouth. And Fishbus hasn't even met me yet

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 1, 2011

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Monster I really, really think you need to shush your stupid big mouth sometimes. And I haven't even met you yet :qq:

Also no.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you were I'd give you a hearty welcome to the Mouse machine.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Fishbus posted:

Monster I really, really think you need to shush your stupid big mouth sometimes. And I haven't even met you yet :qq:

Also no.

Sorry man, I'm just going on stuff that's already out on news sites. I have no insider info. Promise.

I edited my post.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 1, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Fishbus posted:

This guy is sat to my right. We're working together at the moment He's talented as heck and oh so very modest! :)

dig him in the arm for me.

hard. :toot:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Thread, have I mentioned I love you lately? Because I do. Seriously, I've gotten more referrals/clients from this thread than I've made in my entire non-games related practice. :whatup:

But all that aside, I meant to post something on thanksgiving about how I love this poo poo. I was a bit jetlagged and never got around to it, but I want to do it now. Thread, I love you. And no, seriously, this isn't the painkillers talking (mostly.) This thread is like a microcosm of what makes gaming a fun industry. You have obviously talented people, making things they (mostly) like to make, in ways that constantly make you say "wow", and they do it for the purpose of people having fun.

I read Jane McGonigal's book, Reality is Broken, the other day. The book focuses on why we like games. But it reminded me of a slightly different thing -- why I like game developers. Now, Jane is brilliant -- I once interned for her on a project called Top Secret Dance Off, actually. TSDO was a ridiculous game, a ridiculous concept. Basically, you film yourself dancing according to certain challenges, and upload to a social sharing site (I think we were using Ning.) You're then judged on various points of your dance -- creativity, technicality, etc.

The concept was of course doomed to fail. But that's not the point. The point was not the game, not even the people having fun playing the game (some people got REALLY into it.) The point was that someone, somewhere, wanted to play a game where they could dance like a moron wearing a metroid skullcap, and put it online for other people to mock; and someone somewhere, wanted to make that game.

That utterly fascinates me.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 1, 2011

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wore my Turbine T-shirt yesterday. The cashier at the liquor store recognized the logo, asked if I worked there, and was pretty jazzed to find out I did. :unsmith:

He asked what I did and when I answered "QA Engineer" the conversation abruptly ended. :smith:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gaming and game playing run deep and the psychology of it all is extremely profound. I feel sometimes that if the majority of the industry really understood the power that we have in making games, we would work a little differently.

On a related note, anyone have any cool presentations about the significance of games? Stuff like this: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/gabe_zichermann_how_games_make_kids_smarter.html

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

mutata posted:

On a related note, anyone have any cool presentations about the significance of games? Stuff like this: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/gabe_zichermann_how_games_make_kids_smarter.html

If someone links that god awful Jane McGonigal talk..... I can feel the rage burning in my belly already!

But significance of games in what sense? Educational? Cultural? Artistic? Individual? There are gobs of academic papers on the educational value and bunches more on the psychology.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

If someone links that god awful Jane McGonigal talk..... I can feel the rage burning in my belly already!

But significance of games in what sense? Educational? Cultural? Artistic? Individual? There are gobs of academic papers on the educational value and bunches more on the psychology.

Haha, I specifically didn't link that one.

Anything, really. I'm just starting out studying this stuff so my mind is kind of a sponge right now as far as gaming psychology and impact goes.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

MustardFacial posted:

Does anybody know anything about PIX for Windows? Does it only capture D3D calls? Or is it like the 360 one where you can see what the current CPU and GPU threads are as well? I'm trying to track down a completely random bug and even just getting a hint of what is causing it (CPU, GPU, RAM, networking) would help immensely. Thanks.

It's been mentioned before, but Intel's GPA really is leagues ahead of PIX for windows - it is my goto graphics profiler for the PC platform and matches many of the GPU profiling/reporting/experimenting features that PIX for 360 and GPAD for PS3 provide. That said, GPA is not a general purpose profiler so it won't help you if your issue is not related in some way to the graphics device and driver.

As far as tracking down "completely random bugs" goes it sounds like the bug you're hunting is a periodic slow down or hitch? Based on your question I'm guessing you're not using an engine that already has systems in place to catch this sort of thing, like Unreal. In which case the best thing to do would be to either implement a DIY profiling solution like Unreal and most other engines have, or do the poor/hair-on-fire man's version of that: comment out / disable various parts of the game until it stops happening then work backwards from that.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Diplomaticus posted:

Thread, have I mentioned I love you lately? Because I do. Seriously, I've gotten more referrals/clients from this thread than I've made in my entire non-games related practice. :whatup:

But all that aside, I meant to post something on thanksgiving about how I love this poo poo. I was a bit jetlagged and never got around to it, but I want to do it now. Thread, I love you. And no, seriously, this isn't the painkillers talking (mostly.) This thread is like a microcosm of what makes gaming a fun industry. You have obviously talented people, making things they (mostly) like to make, in ways that constantly make you say "wow", and they do it for the purpose of people having fun.
I remain convinced that SA Games Forum has a massive multiplying force on everything Games industry. Referrals for associated businesses if you make a name for yourself, players if your game's decent, etc.

Those of you looking at releasing games and trying to make a living at it, seriously, do NOT underestimate the importance of showing your stuff in this forum (or in this thread or the one over in Cavern of COBOL, if you're a middleware/services dude). Also do NOT underestimate the importance of listening to feedback you get here - this is one of the best-informed forums out there, and if no one likes your game, beyond all hope of a player/genre mismatch? It's a massive problem, and you should fix it here before venturing off after some magical undiscovered market.

... granted, this doesn't so much apply to casual games, serious games, etc. But for anything core-related, mobile, etc? Definitely consider your time here part of your PR effort. But that doesn't mean act like a PR stooly - mostly it's a convenient dodge for when you waste time here :v:

EDIT: tl;dr: I also freaking love this forum. I have made SO many useful contacts through it.

EDIT2: VV Careful with that - shilling for a company (especially one that isn't your indie studio) can get you run out of town on a rail. Also always clear it with your boss, yadda yadda.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 1, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

What do you say Akuma? Shall we do some goony advertising when Naked Gun comes out?

p.s. This thread got me a loving job.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

So I wrote this design postmortem for our game, Influence, and I'm looking for feedback. Mainly I'd like a critique of the writing, but I imagine the conclusions reached could also foster some discussion.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aliginge posted:

What do you say Akuma? Shall we do some goony advertising when Naked Gun comes out?
Only if the game's good! Goons be savage brah.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Akuma posted:

Only if the game's good! Goons be savage brah.

That's one of the things I like about this place. Other forums turn into big hugboxes where it's like "You made a good effort! :)" and all that nonsense. You show stuff to goons, you will hear "This loving sucks" first thing, if it's true. It's the kind of honest critique leading to only the cream rising to the top that's virtually anathema to the rest of the internet. When I got a few people giving :aaa:-faces to the game I showed off in the "Making Games" megathread, that was way more confidence boosting than any feedback I'd gotten at the local university or amongst my peers, because Goons have no investment in your well-being as a person. More often than not, they're invested in your ill-being, because that's more entertaining to them. If you can get goons to be amazed enough at something you did to whole-heartedly endorse it, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you're doing something right.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

quote:

EDIT2: VV Careful with that - shilling for a company (especially one that isn't your indie studio) can get you run out of town on a rail. Also always clear it with your boss, yadda yadda.
drat good point. Hmmm...perhaps not a thread then.

VVV I remember you taking some undue crap from goons due to APB. :(

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 2, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Aliginge posted:

That always works out well.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Ventpost!

Holy loving poo poo. Never ever criticize a popular game in front of QA. I happened to mention I was disappointed that after 5 iterations, Call of Duty still had weapon balance problems and you'd think I said "Hitler was a pretty rad dude" based on the reaction.

(I'm in QA.)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Monochrome posted:

Ventpost!

Holy loving poo poo. Never ever criticize a popular game in front of QA. I happened to mention I was disappointed that after 5 iterations, Call of Duty still had weapon balance problems and you'd think I said "Hitler was a pretty rad dude" based on the reaction.

(I'm in QA.)

It sounds like QA kids are some of the most opinionated people in the industry... Maybe it's kind of like how film students love to criticize any and all movies just for show.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

mutata posted:

It sounds like QA kids are some of the most opinionated people in the industry... Maybe it's kind of like how film students love to criticize any and all movies just for show.

Not all of them, but after 5 years I could count the chill ones who'll actually have an honest argument on one hand.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Monochrome posted:

Not all of them, but after 5 years I could count the chill ones who'll actually have an honest argument on one hand.

QA is the Halo of the game industry?

Edit: And to think, you guys are the most pleasant QA team I've gotten to work with in the past FOREVER.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
This may be generalizing, but QA does tend to attract fanboy types.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Shalinor posted:

Well it is an indie studio, and I'm senior and a shareholder sooo we might do something. Nothing offensive, like.

But we're a small studio and the game has a pretty indie feel. My wife and I wrote the design and script (well, most of it), I wrote most of the code and Aliginge is the only artist on it full-time. You can count the number of people that have touched its development on two hands. I had to credit myself and others a bunch of times in the credits just so it was long enough for the gags to fit in.

Also it might be free. Maybe.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

devilmouse posted:

QA is the Halo of the game industry?

Edit: And to think, you guys are the most pleasant QA team I've gotten to work with in the past FOREVER.

:monocle:

Small QA teams tend to self-police douchebags much more effectively as opposed to dank, musty QA pits located in completely different buildings or other states/countries. How anyone would be in a situation where they actually work as part of the team and gently caress that up is beyond me.

Fake edit: And you're by far the most attractive designer!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
As far as shilling on SA, it's important to pay attention to former poster Alastor, who was the community manager for Mercenaries 2, made the thread, talked about how it was the most amazing game ever made, earned goon scorn, went quiet, went angry, got fired, became a teacher.

I'm too lazy to dig the Mercs 2 thread out of the archives but it chronicles most of it :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

As far as shilling on SA, it's important to pay attention to former poster Alastor, who was the community manager for Mercenaries 2, made the thread, talked about how it was the most amazing game ever made, earned goon scorn, went quiet, went angry, got fired, became a teacher.

I'm too lazy to dig the Mercs 2 thread out of the archives but it chronicles most of it :v:

Goons know when they're being pandered to and THEY will decide when and if that's ok.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Diplomaticus posted:

This may be generalizing, but QA does tend to attract fanboy types.

Nope it's true. Not surprised with the reaction with COD. I got the same when MW2 came out. Nearly everyone in the bay (station) reaction was YEAH totally getting this game! I said, same ol poo poo. They gave me that look of gently caress you say? There are the good things and bad things about QA.

All I know what we QAers have in common, we hate the developers/publishers.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Shindragon posted:

All I know what we QAers have in common, we hate the developers
:(

But your repo steps always suck and you make us stay late for broken pixels invisible in normal gameplay! :mad:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shalinor posted:

But your repo steps always suck and you make us stay late for broken pixels invisible in normal gameplay! :mad:

Bug classification: A Blocker.

Steps to repro.

1. Go to furthest corner of level.
2. Bring down console
3. Enable no clip.
4. Fly through edge of level.
5. Turn around look up approximately 44o.
6. Observe Z-Fighting.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I was assigning out bugs earlier today and no joke one of the bugs:

NPC overreacts
See video

*watch video, nothing happens*

sigh

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Hey, gaming journos - this is kind of related to your field, so, question. I'm considering my options for a very (very) part-time job to give my budget a bit of flex. I'm only looking for a bit south of $500/mo.

What would you say my chances are of making that doing tech/etc articles for the likes of Gamasutra? Doable?

Back when I did the shadowing algorithm article for Game Developer Magazine, they paid me something like $350, and that was pretty boss :3: If I could somehow just do the equivalent of that every month, I'd be perfectly set.

EDIT: (This as opposed to a very part-time pizza delivery gig... which'd be fine, but if I could somehow swing a writing gig, it would get my name - and by extension, my studio's name - out there. That in and of itself would have massive value. Also, not taking years off my car would be nice. Also also, I love getting published :3:)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 3, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
It's possible, if you've got the connects to get in. Paid jobs at this point tend to require extensive experience and/or name recognition and hella networking. And that's not just show-floor networking; it's being at ALL the press rooms at ALL the shows, hitting the right bars, with the right people, being on the right distro lists.

Then again, that's for full time. Part time is easier.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Sigma-X posted:

Mercs 2 owned. It has a special place in my heart, I played that poo poo for hours.

Sorry I'm going to sound like a dick now, but speaking of shilling on SA I think the more egregious example was .....you know what, I'm not going to say his name, enough of us know who I'm talking about. He was the CM for A.P.B. under Realtime Worlds. The game was objectively trash at that point, he was arguing with goons about it, the whole thing was a mess.

And I've STILL yet to get a real apology for the way that team treated me at PAX East that first year. Or even an acknowledgement that it was hosed up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Shalinor posted:

Hahaha I wouldn't be shy to admit we make it hard for them to repo the bug. :p

That being said, it seems I"m falling behind times. Now it seems there was more criteria for QA now. It ain't enough for experience, now some require a knowledge of C+. Whether this was the norm before, I didn't know but it's now more apparent.

Well specifically with small mobile companies.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

It's possible, if you've got the connects to get in. Paid jobs at this point tend to require extensive experience and/or name recognition and hella networking. And that's not just show-floor networking; it's being at ALL the press rooms at ALL the shows, hitting the right bars, with the right people, being on the right distro lists.

Then again, that's for full time. Part time is easier.
That's the thing - you're talking games press, journalism. I'm talking... uh, non-fiction? Technical articles, that could only be written by a programmer. Algorithm write-ups, discussions of design patterns, talking shop. Things not really related to news of the day.

I'm hoping that + part-time would make this way less competitive?

Shindragon posted:

That being said, it seems I"m falling behind times. Now it seems there was more criteria for QA now. It ain't enough for experience, now some require a knowledge of C+. Whether this was the norm before, I didn't know but it's now more apparent.

Well specifically with small mobile companies.
Small companies don't have room for the typical QA warm body, they need QA Developers / Technical QA / people that do more than just write bug reports. There isn't a shift in what is expected of large-studio QA; It still amounts to warm bodies and experience welcome. What you're seeing is an emerging class of small-studio QA jobs, that (like every other job at a small studio) require the employee to be capable of wearing more hats than usual.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Shalinor posted:

That's the thing - you're talking games press, journalism. I'm talking... uh, non-fiction? Technical articles, that could only be written by a programmer. Algorithm write-ups, discussions of design patterns, talking shop. Things not really related to news of the day.

I'm hoping that + part-time would make this way less competitive?

Small companies don't have room for the typical QA warm body, they need QA Developers / Technical QA / people that do more than just write bug reports. There isn't a shift in what is expected of large-studio QA; It still amounts to warm bodies and experience welcome. What you're seeing is an emerging class of small-studio QA jobs, that (like every other job at a small studio) require the employee to be capable of wearing more hats than usual.
I'm trying to make my break from running an outsourced QA team onto an embedded team as a QA Engineer of some sort, but I have to teach myself a lot of things first. I'm starting with XML then going to look into SQL.