Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

neongrey posted:

Classic Elite's Fresco. It's a wool/baby alpaca/angora blend that is super warm, a reasonable price, a joy to work with, and comes in many colours that would be pleasantly manly. The only thing that's even close to an issue with it is that it's sport weight, so a hat does take a bit longer when knitted with it. But this means that it makes a hat that's both lightweight and cozy at the same time.

It's well, well worth it.

As much as I love Fresco, you gotta make sure he doesn't have any bunny-related sensitivities - don't want to add itchy scalp to everything else he's undergoing.

I personally love lining things for added warmth and softness - hats, mittens, slippers, etc. My go to yarn for that is Blue Sky Alpaca Brushed Suri - it's pure clouds of fluffy softness and comes in neutral as well as bright colors. You could knit a hat out of a yarn he'd like (at a slightly larger gauge), then re-knit the same pattern (omit any stitch patterns or colorwork so it's plain stockinette), then put the lining inside the bigger hat so the wrong sides are together, then seam them together (I think single crochet looks best, but you could also simply stitch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino is unbelievably soft. I made socks out of it for my granddad when he had bowel cancer, but it would be just as lovely for a hat. It's a mix of merino wool, microfibre and cashmere.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I just finished a bag. It is the Windmill Bag from Ravelry. It was my first time doing lots of stuff like i-cord, i-cord bind off, picking up stitches, seaming, etc. I think it turned out rather well.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Sweet, it looks great! I'm in the middle of making one too, to use as a knit bag (it'll blow yer mind, knitting my future knit bag...), but I have a bunch of other projects that have deadlines for completion, so it's gone on the back-burner for now.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I don't know what the heck happened, but I realized last month that I hadn't knit a stitch in a year. It was like I didn't even notice or something. One day I was knitting like a fool, and the next day any knowledge of knitting just fell out of my head. Weirdest thing ever.

Anyway, I jumped right back on the wagon and read like 2k new posts since I had last opened this thread. I'm glad I did because you guys turned me on to DBNY grab bags. Holy poo poo. I ordered 2 and have been having a blast looking at what other people have made with my surprise yarns. Plus I knit a few Christmas gifts and am back into trying to find an hour a day (at least!) to knit on something. Whee!

I had to catch up on old Rav forums too- and I came across something... interesting. Not knitted gimp mask interesting, but interesting just the same. Ima just leave this here http://woollalah.blogspot.com/

fake edit: While I would not personally wear any of her creations, she does appear to be having the time of her life and she is a good knitter. I can't badmouth her too badly. Then again, some of that poo poo is hilarious!

dixnarbles
Feb 21, 2010
So cables might just be my new favorite thing. This was my first semi-intricate attempt:

Made from this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/celtic-moonrise-mittens

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I finished a jumper. First time I did any seamed and three needle bind offs. Yarn was Navajo plyed.

The arms are a bit tight but I think that's how it's meant to be.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

I finished a jumper. First time I did any seamed and three needle bind offs. Yarn was Navajo plyed.

Wow, that is a really nice jumper. What's the pattern? I'd like to take a crack at that myself!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It's Beatnik from Knitty.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

dixnarbles posted:

So cables might just be my new favorite thing. This was my first semi-intricate attempt:

Made from this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/celtic-moonrise-mittens

Sodium Chloride posted:

Woah, I am loving these Celtic style multi-layered cables. They're so beautiful!

I've only ever done boring straight cables.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Holy crap, that's awesome.

You say the yarn was n-plied? Did you make you? I am jealous--I don't have the patience to do a full sweater's worth of yarn.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

You say the yarn was n-plied? Did you make you? I am jealous--I don't have the patience to do a full sweater's worth of yarn.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I meant Navajo plying as shown in this video, making a thicker yarn from a single source. The yarn I used was a fingering weight tripled to aran-ish weight. I didn't mean to imply that I made the yarn, although that would be awesome!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 3, 2011

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I meant Navajo plying as shown in this video, making a thicker yarn from a single source. The yarn I used was a fingering weight tripled to aran-ish weight. I didn't mean to imply that I made the yarn, although that would be awesome!

Haha, I see. That's still a fair bit of work to do, and it looks great!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I thought I would share this with you guys.

I take a knitting/crochet class to learn how to crochet. Today one of the older students was arguing very loudly with the teacher over what knit and purls looked like. She was red in the face screaming that knits were the purls and that purls were the knits, and she'd been knitting far longer than the teacher had so don't keep trying to confuse her! <:mad:>

Her argument? That when you do nothing but knit knit stitches, they look like purl stitches! So they're the purls! :downs:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

That makes my head hurt.

I can understand arguing that since the "easiest" stitch is purling that it should really be called the knit stitch because you're knitting but oh now my head's hurting even more.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
What magical world do you live in where purls are easier than knits?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

Ever heard of Portuguese style? Purling is the easiest thing in that style, if I have to a big swatch of purl on things in the round, I switch it around my neck. I look silly but I don't even care. Here's a video of it: Portuguese Knitting & Purling (not mine)

There's modified versions of left-hand holders that's pretty similar, without having it around your neck.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

cobalt impurity posted:

Don't ask me, OK :( I'm just as god made me.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

FelicityGS posted:

Ever heard of Portuguese style? Purling is the easiest thing in that style, if I have to a big swatch of purl on things in the round, I switch it around my neck. I look silly but I don't even care. Here's a video of it: Portuguese Knitting & Purling (not mine)

There's modified versions of left-hand holders that's pretty similar, without having it around your neck.

:aaaaa: That's seriously what my face looked like watching that, so amazing! I'm going to have to try to learn that way soon, it looks like it will work so much better with my stupid hands.

Thanks for all the chemo cap yarn suggestions everyone! Finally have some down time here to peruse them and always love an excuse to shop for more yarn!

Plus I wanted to take a moment to say how much I love Ravelry! I am such a whore for that site. I spent at least 5 hours scouring the internet for this out of print pattern for my wedding shrug, and I can't believe it took a lady I asked that had made one but didn't have the pattern anymore to go hey, why not check the Australian knitters board, oh here's a link to the looking for thread! TWO ladies can help, one has it somewhere she thinks but if not, another is near a library I found that supposedly has the magazine on their shelves. it's like :shlick:

zamiel fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 3, 2011

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Alright, so my boyfriend has asked me to knit him a sweater..
WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?! OH GOD, THE CURSE... THE RISK... HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS CRISIS? :derp:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
You draw up a contract saying he can't resent you for spending loads of time making it, and that he won't wear it out of pity if he doesn't like it.

Alternatively, trick him into marrying you. Worked for my mum.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Knit him a tiny ornament sized sweater. Include a knitted gift that he will actually use/enjoy.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Show him the price tag for the yarn.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Spiteful posted:

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?! OH GOD, THE CURSE... THE RISK... HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS CRISIS? :derp:

I just straight up told my boyfriend about the sweater curse when he asked for one and made him a hat instead.

e: Then we bought him a nice sweater from JCPennies for $20 on sale.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Goddamn. How difficult would this be for a first timer? The only thing I want out of knitting is lots of sweaters.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Show him the price tag for the yarn.

This is usually the way to go. It's also the way I get out of making a quilt every other week for people.

Wait, a quilt using this twee $15 fabric costs you HOW MUCH to make?

I don't think people realize just how expensive this stuff can be. Homemade != cheap.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

I Ozma Myself posted:

This is usually the way to go. It's also the way I get out of making a quilt every other week for people.

Wait, a quilt using this twee $15 fabric costs you HOW MUCH to make?

I don't think people realize just how expensive this stuff can be. Homemade != cheap.

Not to mention they seem to think that you can whip out a pair of socks in about an hour or something.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Not an Anthem posted:

Goddamn. How difficult would this be for a first timer? The only thing I want out of knitting is lots of sweaters.

Men's sweaters are usually easier than women's because they're not usually fitted to the curvy contours of a lady. It's just all about the surface decoration which can be as complicated or easy as you want. Cables are deceptively easy.

But if it's your first ever sweater, I would start with something a little easier- a plain textured one but with stripes, or one with simple straight cables. It's less about skill and more about having the willpower to plough on with more complicated designs. As a beginner it would take you longer anyway, and you might get disheartened.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Spiteful posted:

Make him pick the pattern, yarn and of course make him pay for all the materials.

Not an Anthem posted:

I wouldn't choose that pattern for a first timer. For a start the cables on the sides are not typical cables, they have a column of twisted stitches that were incredibly annoying to knit.

Something easier, quicker and more forgiving like a top down raglan would be a good choice.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Not an Anthem posted:

I would suggest doing something easier for your first sweater, and trying complicated cables on something smaller. There are great cabling options on smaller things like hats, scarves/cowls, mittens, etc. This gives you some time to fiddle with the patterning without it taking a ton of time.

Did anybody else cave on Cyber Monday? I think... I think I went a little overboard. :blush: But I got some great stuff and it was all 35% off...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

Make him pick the pattern, yarn and of course make him pay for all the materials.

Hey, why not have him do this AND learn to knit and make his own sweater! Curse avoided.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Phishi posted:

I would suggest doing something easier for your first sweater, and trying complicated cables on something smaller. There are great cabling options on smaller things like hats, scarves/cowls, mittens, etc. This gives you some time to fiddle with the patterning without it taking a ton of time.

Did anybody else cave on Cyber Monday? I think... I think I went a little overboard. :blush: But I got some great stuff and it was all 35% off...

I got my knitpicks order today (nothing magical; I did bulk packs of Shine Worsted and Swish DK), and I am expecting a Jo-Anns order to come in by the end of the week.

Top right of your picture is Chroma Worsted in North Woods-- I just made the sweetest little sweater for a friend, who is having a baby this month, with one skein of that. It's like knitting with clouds. It's so amazingly soft and lovely! In my excitement to give it to her, I forgot to take a picture of it, but hopefully she'll send me one soon!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Not to mention they seem to think that you can whip out a pair of socks in about an hour or something.

That kind of goes both ways- for some reason, people seem to think that socks are a really quick knit, but other times when I've talked about projects people will be shocked that I've finished certain things as quickly as I have.

Which makes it all the more frustrating when I promise someone a nice scarf and it takes me a month to hammer out something with a simple checkerboard pattern. Explain to me why I can do a lacework shawl mostly over the course of two weeks but this loving scarf will be the death of me!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

I Ozma Myself posted:

Explain to me why I can do a lacework shawl mostly over the course of two weeks but this loving scarf will be the death of me!

For me, it's the turning. I can do socks on dps, or a lacework shawl, fairly quickly because there's (for the lace, past the initial few rows) so much knitting without having to flip it over. I've been working on a scarf for months and it literally has 40 stitches to the row, and I swear I spend just as much or more time flipping it over and readjusting my hands and yarn as I do knitting a row.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

People who don't knit are ignorant of the amount of time to complete a project. My mom is one of those people. She's still laying a guilt trip on me for not finishing two scarves in the span of a week. Like I have nothing else to do but knit all day.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Windy posted:

Like I have nothing else to do but knit all day.

Speaking as someone who's done that over a weekend, it doesn't actually seem to make knitting any quicker, it just cripples your hands to the point where it's hard to brush your teeth for a week.

I find the quickest way to knit is to sit down and watch something I would have watched anyway, and just clack clack away at a comfortable speed. I finish socks, and I watch the entire back catalogue of The IT Crowd. Win loving win.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Dead Cow posted:

For me, it's the turning. I can do socks on dps, or a lacework shawl, fairly quickly because there's (for the lace, past the initial few rows) so much knitting without having to flip it over. I've been working on a scarf for months and it literally has 40 stitches to the row, and I swear I spend just as much or more time flipping it over and readjusting my hands and yarn as I do knitting a row.

Have you tried knitting it lengthwise? I realize the pattern would be different but it seems to go so much faster for me.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

Speaking as someone who's done that over a weekend, it doesn't actually seem to make knitting any quicker, it just cripples your hands to the point where it's hard to brush your teeth for a week.

Seconding. While I didn't get guilt tripped on it, I had a week of nothing else to try and finish my mother's Christmas present last year (a sweater). I was finishing a piece and going through balls of yarn but I honestly thought it wasn't getting any bigger or was ever going to end. I didn't knit for a week and a half after (well, one pair of socks that I could knit while staring at tv shows because I got a new pair of needles and some yarn does not count).

Edit: Some of the problem with a tv show while on the last few repeats of my shawl: I know it takes 15 minutes for a row. At least. It takes one one hour show to do one row on my fingering weight colourwork cardigan. I have to take a photo of the cardigan and compare it to what I have in two weeks just so I don't lose hope.

felgs fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 6, 2011

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Phishi posted:

I was relatively restrained Knitpicks-wise (considering my splurge at EatSleepKnit) - I set a budget of $50, just enough for free shipping, and I only got things that were already in my wishlist. Most of the things I got weren't actually on sale (but it's KP so whatever, cheap enough) but the Tonal Lace I wanted to make a the Featherweight Cardigan was being clearanced, so I picked that up with no hesitation. Cardigan for $8! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Project splurge! All three of them. The first one if the (free) Snowflake Fingerless Gloves. My friend has a big thing for orange and purple, and so this is her christmas present. I just have to share somewhere, and she reads my blog but not SA soooo....

It was all knit with KnitPicks Palette. When I'm made of money I'm going to buy that sampler that has one of each ball. These mitts showed me how much I love putting together colours.

My chullo hat did that too. It's the KnitPicks pattern, but nothing but leftover yarn from the mitts plus some spare blue Berga I had laying around.

So many tiny alpacas! :3:

And then finally, the fastest pair of socks I've knitted in a while. These took me four days total, and I love them. I know they should be a christmas present for someone and I just can't bear to part with them. They are so warm and cozy. They're from "Knitted Socks Around the World", which is one of my favourite books. This'll be the third set of socks I've knit from it--it's basically paid for itself now. :3: