Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

"Again I tell you, it is easier to mod a camel into the Aether than for the rich man to go through the eye of a needle." Matthew 19:24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

MrDude posted:

[...] The idea is the dispensers solely contain items used in crafting, and rather than bothering with inventory management at all you can just tap buttons and get what you need at the moment.

This is very simple and clever; I think I'll borrow it for my crafting cellars. It's far more aesthetically pleasing, and you could find what you need at a glance!

CJacobs posted:

People apparently don't know how to read the "I still plan to help out on the project" in between the "I am announcing that" and "although I'm still stepping down as head developer".

I've been eagerly waiting the day that Notch leaves Minecraft and goes to play with work on his new toy other projects. For a while I was afraid it would happen before Minecraft got popular enough that development could and would continue without him... but obviously that critical period has long since passed.

It's pretty easy to tell that Notch only works on things as long as they remain "fun." You can see the evidence in the horrible bugs that remain while gimmicky new features get added. It's likely the reason why it took so long for him to release SMP (and the shoddy support that remained after it was released). It also explains his total failure to produce a modding API of any sort.

Since Jeb was hired (after a grace period for him to familiarize himself with the project, of course), things got a lot more sane. Jeb has been committed to ensuring consistent behavior in SMP - something Notch often avoided, even though a huge proportion of the player base plays only SMP. Jeb is constantly working on squashing bugs - and not just the game-breaking ones. He is also far more willing to listen to community concerns, and seems to act as the voice of reason and compromise when the community's desires and Notch's "vision" don't line up.

Given the track record of both Minecraft devs, I'd bet that Minecraft would move in a positive direction under only Jeb's care faster than it would under both Jeb's and Notch's, even if Jeb is given "final say."

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

CJacobs posted:

People keep going "YES FINALLY I AM SO GLAD NOTCH QUIT HAHAHA"

But, uh. You haven't wanted that ever until the Yogscast thing. I haven't heard a single person praying to the powers that be that Notch stop working on Minecraft.

Most people probably haven't said that because they didn't want to poo poo up the thread with pointless game featu-- I mean.. whining.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well honestly would you sit there and work on the boring poo poo if you were pulling in 150k+ a day not doing it? I'm sure I would put it off forever as well. This is why he really needed to hire a team, so he could tell someone they had to work on that stuff. It's really the only way it would ever get done.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jelly posted:

"A proper patch does good like a medicine; but a slew of bugs dries the bones."

Proverbs 17:22

I read this and some of the other quotes in Leonard Nimoy's voice, a la Civilization 4.

I hope we see major changes before the end of the year.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

But, uh. You haven't wanted that ever until the Yogscast thing. I haven't heard a single person praying to the powers that be that Notch stop working on Minecraft. Sure, I've heard people say Jeb should be in charge before, but that's completely different than Notch quitting, which is what people seem to think he's doing. :geno:

Even then, Notch isn't quitting. He's not even stepping down from working on Minecraft. People apparently don't know how to read the "I still plan to help out on the project" in between the "I am announcing that" and "although I'm still stepping down as head developer".

Reading through the whole thread I don't think I saw a single person say anything to that effect. What I did see was the mention of Heir Notch's tweet about Jens taking over, and then the following posts eluded to "OH great he needed to HAND OVER development a long time ago." Not, OH my gosh LOL he QUIT!!

Seriously, why even bring the clusterfuck that's notch vs. yogs into this foray?

At any rate, yes everyone pretty has been saying Jens should take over since...Well since the first update he was a part of came out. One look at the work he did versus Notch's bumbling gave everyone the impression that Jens actually knows what he's doing.

I for one am super glad Notch is coming to terms and letting someone else take over. I can give him credit for being man enough to step down on that front and let someone else take the torch.

Now if he's manbaby like temperament get the better of him I'm sure we'll see him cry over how much love and attention Jens will get.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

CJacobs posted:

But, uh. You haven't wanted that ever until the Yogscast thing. I haven't heard a single person praying to the powers that be that Notch stop working on Minecraft. Sure, I've heard people say Jeb should be in charge before, but that's completely different than Notch quitting, which is what people seem to think he's doing. :geno:

Even then, Notch isn't quitting. He's not even stepping down from working on Minecraft. People apparently don't know how to read the "I still plan to help out on the project" in between the "I am announcing that" and "although I'm still stepping down as head developer".

Basically everything I've been seeing has been more "sweet, the guy who actually gets things done got a promotion" than "lol gently caress notch".

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rack posted:

From Jeb's twitter, about an hour ago

This is a good start in the right direction.

It's pretty hilarious that "Adding wool regrowth to sheep" is just coming now, when they killed infinite animal spawns a long time ago. You'd think the two would go hand-in-hand.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Like perhaps a QA department, since the game is supposed to be no longer in beta and the general public shouldn't be responsible for the bug-testing.

They should probably fix up the Billing Issues Department, which currently consists of an email account that Notch checks every few weeks when somebody makes a 1000-reply post on Reddit about how their payment went through but they didn't get an account.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 2, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Vertigus posted:

It's pretty hilarious that "Adding wool regrowth to sheep" is just coming now, when they killed infinite animal spawns a long time ago. You'd think the two would go hand-in-hand.

You see there's flawed thinking in this when Notch is involved. I'm sure if Jeb were in the position he is now when they nerfed infinite animal spawns it would have been "hand-in-hand."

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

They need to hire the guy who makes Optifine, and also integrate all of MC patcher features. Those should be high priority imo.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Taffer posted:

They need to hire the guy who makes Optifine, and also integrate all of MC patcher features. Those should be high priority imo.

IIRC, they did approach the guy who made Optifine, but he wanted too much for it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Taffer posted:

I think Notch wanted to integrate the Optifine code, but couldn't make a deal with the programmer (probably because the guy who coded it had the audacity to ask to actually get paid a fair price for all the work he did).

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Taffer posted:

As I learned a few dozen pages back, Optifine guy apparently was offered money for the code, but it wasn't enough. He asked for too much, and they stop talking about it.

A shame, really. I had said before that mods like Optifine just shouldn't exist because Notch could just crack it open and figure out what it's doing, then copy it.

Of course, that isn't really ethical at all and I'm a bad person. :v:

re: Grand High Coder Jeb; love this. Notch can work on a new game, maybe make something cool, and Jeb can hopefully flesh out the game. His work with the Nether so far has been really good and I'd like to see more of it - maybe even a little bit of work on The End. Of course, I suppose The End doesn't really need to facilitate anything other than the boss and the challenge it is meant to provide..

Mostly, I just want to see 100% Nether saves as viable and as diverse and as fun as Overworld saves. :fap::black101:

edit: slow as hell

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think Notch wanted to integrate the Optifine code, but couldn't make a deal with the programmer (probably because the guy who coded it had the audacity to ask to actually get paid a fair price for all the work he did).

And Minecraft 1.0.0 runs better than OptiFine ever did, so it isn't like they missed out on anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Sassy Dog posted:

Mostly, I just want to see 100% Nether saves as viable and as diverse and as fun as Overworld saves. :fap::black101:

I would probably do this already if it weren't for the the Ghast noises.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Taffer posted:

They wanted to add Optifine but the guy asked way too much money for his mod.

e;fb

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Taffer posted:

integrate all of MC patcher features

You can already delete META-INF and put class files in minecraft.jar

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Tardcore posted:

They wanted to add Optifine but the guy asked way too much money for his mod.

e;fb

Out of curiosity, do we have a value for 'way too much money'? Cause as we've seen over the past week or so, Notch is one tight-fisted bastard. Guy could have been asking for $100 for all I know.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would probably do this already if it weren't for the the Ghast noises.

The Nether in general would be a much more viable living area if mob spawns could be controlled. A simgle ghast can do as much damage to the terrain as several creepers, which can leave your house floating in midair as the ground literally crumbles beneath it. It's also awkward when you learn a tribe of pigmen has made camp in your dining room.

Something like a "nether torch" wouldn't be as useful as it would in the overworld, but maybe something like the thumper mod would work.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Out of curiosity, do we have a value for 'way too much money'? Cause as we've seen over the past week or so, Notch is one tight-fisted bastard. Guy could have been asking for $100 for all I know.

I have no more information than anyone else, but I imagine it went like this:

"We'd like to buy the Optifine code off of you!"

"Well, considering the amount of the total code it would account for minus the fact that I wouldn't be responsible for updating or debugging it, how about five cents per copy sold?"

*Notch multiplies 4,000,000 by $0.05*

"See ya later, shitlord!"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

http://bit.ly/rNqOnG

quote:

Nice to see OptiFine getting so popular.
The biggest problem was that merging some parts of OptiFine in Minecraft (what Mojangs needs) is going to take some time that I do not have. It has to compete with my work and my family and this is where the compensation part comes in. It will also split the OptiFine development in two parts, one based on the official source code and one based on the MCP sources. This is more than I can handle currently.
But not all is lost, I still hope that we can come to common grounds and I can start developing OptiFine with the official Minecraft source.
Doesn't sound like a guy who wants more than what he already gets for his current job. I bet he asked for something reasonable but Notch didn't want to lose another money hat.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
An article on the Notch stepping down situation has appeared on the MC Forums frontpage.

Choice quote:

jeb posted:

Jeb's next step is to work on the mod API for Minecraft, a long-awaited feature for players and modders alike. He had the following to say on the API:

"Until January I will be the only developer on Minecraft, so things will have to be slow initially. But my absolute main priority now is to create a mod API, because there is no way in hell I will be able to add as much content as the whole internet can do. The game needs an API, so end users can obtain the mods without hassle. I'm not going to do it all by myself though. We have a new programmer beginning in January, and we are talking to existing mod API teams, such as Bukkit, Minecraft Forge, and Minecraft Coder Pack." He went on to add that a release for the new API would likely be seen no sooner than March.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I love that guy.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jelly posted:

I love that guy.

This cannot be said enough. He gets what makes Minecraft so fun: it's one of the best sandbox games out there. It lives and breathes on modding.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I remember when Jeb was first brought on to the team, and people were worried about how all of the different wool blocks would take up so many block ID's that a lot of mods and such would just be infeasible. And then people found out that Jeb made this system where all wool blocks could be the same block with different states, and that this opened up a ton of room for a ton more blocks, and there was much rejoicing.

Basically what I'm saying is Jeb seems pretty cool

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Where did Notch find jeb anyway? Is he an old friend, or a fan of the game that just happened to live close?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

PalmTreeFun posted:

This cannot be said enough. He gets what makes Minecraft so fun: it's one of the best sandbox games out there. It lives and breathes on modding.

To be honest, this may be what gets me into modding Minecraft. I've put it off for a long time just because its a pain to have everything break with every incremental patch that pops out. With a less technical way of making it work, it might finally be worth getting into!

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Okan170 posted:

To be honest, this may be what gets me into modding Minecraft. I've put it off for a long time just because its a pain to have everything break with every incremental patch that pops out. With a less technical way of making it work, it might finally be worth getting into!

You should try the Yogbox. Or Equivalent Exchange, since that's already updated to 1.0. They're both not too hard to get into.

As for getting them to work, you have WinRAR? It's just a matter of dragging and dropping a couple files.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

PalmTreeFun posted:

You should try the Yogbox. Or Equivalent Exchange, since that's already updated to 1.0. They're both not too hard to get into.

As for getting them to work, you have WinRAR? It's just a matter of dragging and dropping a couple files.

I'm running it on the mac, but I can open RARs anyway. Maybe I was just put off by the amount of digging making it run in 64-bit took.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Okan170 posted:

I'm running it on the mac, but I can open RARs anyway. Maybe I was just put off by the amount of digging making it run in 64-bit took.

It's pretty much just finding the Miencraft folder, opening minecraft.jar with WinRAR, deleting the META-INF folder inside, then dragging in mods you want. Except with ModLoader mods, where you just do that with ModLoader or Forge or whatever, then put the zip files of the mods you want in the mods folder that it creates. The threads of popular mods usually have idiot-proof installation guides in them.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but why do all the mods break with each different release? With major updates I can almost understand, but with simple bug-fix updates it generally shouldn't change anything that the mod would do.

Granted, I'm sure that whenever the mod-api or the smp/ssp integration (is this still going to happen?) finally happens it wont really matter, but it matters in the now. I guess I just never thought to ask.

edit - Not just 'because its coded badly', from more of a technical point of view.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Rack posted:

I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but why do all the mods break with each different release? With major updates I can almost understand, but with simple bug-fix updates it generally shouldn't change anything that the mod would do.

Granted, I'm sure that whenever the mod-api or the smp/ssp integration (is this still going to happen?) finally happens it wont really matter, but it matters in the now. I guess I just never thought to ask.

Obfuscation, whenever they make a new build the names and signatures of classes/functions change name.

*edit* to clarify, a mod extends minecraft in some way, hooking into the classes that make up minecraft. If the said class it hooks into/changes/replaces or whatever changes name, then it won't anymore. Hope it makes sense.

Bicehunter fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 3, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
In other words, Notch uses a program that changes the actual names of variables in stuff like aa, ab, ac, ad, and so on. The idea is so that people can't just take his code and modify it as they please, or claim it as theirs. Especially because Java is really, really easy to reverse-compile because it's pretty much the original code stored in a zip file. If it were made in C++ and thus actually converted into proper machine code, unlike Java, there would be no modding scene period without an API.

Custom-made API's like ModLoader, Forge, and Bukkit need to be updated to change the right variables as necessary so people can use their simplified functions and such to more easily mod Minecraft.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Bicehunter posted:

Obfuscation, whenever they make a new build the names and signatures of classes/functions change name.

*edit* to clarify, a mod extends minecraft in some way, hooking into the classes that make up minecraft. If the said class it hooks into/changes/replaces or whatever changes name, then it won't anymore. Hope it makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. I'd heard the term mentioned a lot here, and knew the dictionary term for it, but never really thought about what it meant in this context. Thanks.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Okan170 posted:

Yeah, I've been banging my had into the wall trying to get Buildraft to run and wondering why oh loving why a game that lives on modding and its infinite flexibility doesn't have a really simple mod installer of its own.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Where did Notch find jeb anyway? Is he an old friend, or a fan of the game that just happened to live close?

They're friends who know each other through the indie gamedev circles.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I was wondering, does anyone know a mod/program/method for making the screen shot panorama that displays at the intro screen for Minecraft?

It's made up of a cube of 6 images that seamlessly capture the world, and I just can't see it being easy or fun trying to do it by just using screen shots and Photoshop.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I really like notch and still think this is amazing. Though, I can't shake the feeling that people will eventually hate jeb_ too.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

ArfJason posted:

I really like notch and still think this is amazing. Though, I can't shake the feeling that people will eventually hate jeb_ too.
It's possible, but it seems incredibly unlikely considering Notch's recent bad press and awful personal and professional conduct. I mean, the people who hated Notch within the first month of the game's initial alpha release will totally hate Jeb, sure, but normal people won't. At worst, I imagine people will be disappointed at the progress he makes (due to unrealistic/optimistic expectations), or possibly any API limitations that end up being in the game.

Regardless, personal feelings towards the developers matter a hell of a lot less than the game's progress, and this is great news.

Locus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Dwayne Bensey posted:

This is really lovely, any chance you could upload the save file? I'm always impressed by these small but elegantly-designed houses and gardens in Minecraft. I honestly couldn't give a poo poo about mega-structures and primitive red-stone video games, the best buildings in Minecraft are ones that are subtly impressive and yet don't look like whoever built it lost a weeks worth of sleep over it (I mean that in the best way possible).

You don't have PM's so here you go

https://rapidshare.com/files/4136067444/New_World.7z