Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Yes, that sounds like completely appropriate behaviour for a news anchor and surely a shadowy left-wing conspiracy is the most reasonable explanation for his firing.

Well see in 2003 in an interview off work a reporter once said Bush was not a good president....so you see it's all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I saw them pushing some footballer's death as being the result of video games a few days ago. I didn't think the MPTP would be so gold from that dumb news clip:

Football player's death

It wasn't video games, it was heart disease. He could just as easily have died during a football game or during a heated discussion.--CamilleT 20:29, 26 November 2011 (EST)

Maybe video games are more harmful to the heart than college football. But probably even more harmful is having an enlarged and weakened heart due to cardiomyopathy. EricAlstrom 20:36, 26 November 2011 (EST)

Cardiomyopathy is a treatable condition, and I think a teenage death from it is very rare. Presumably substantial stress can tragically induce cardiac arrest, particularly if there is a heart condition.--Andy Schlafly 20:45, 26 November 2011 (EST)

Please stop dancing on graves. It's horrible to exploit this poor boy's tragic death to legitimize your own views through the coincidental circumstances of his death. You are not a scientist trying to actually study the effects of video games on health, you are not a social scientist doing a formal study on the impact of games on society, and you are not an objective news reporting on the facts of a tragedy. You are a man using a tragedy for his personal benefit and to further your views. You should be ashamed of yourself and if you have any sense of morality whatsoever, you will take down your statement on the supposed connection between this boy's death and your beliefs. FCapra 21:17, 26 November 2011 (EST)

The same logic could be used to argue that TK's death was a result of the stress of editing and contributing to Conservapedia. Aschlafly, please address this point. I'd love to hear your thought on this. JFG 21:29, 26 November 2011 (EST)

Give it up, folks: the immense harm caused by video games has been shown by scientific studies, by common sense, and by specific tragic examples. It's time to stop denying it and stop defending a $60 billion industry that profits from harming kids.--Andy Schlafly 21:32, 26 November 2011 (EST)

Cardiomyopathy affects people of all ages, is usually hereditary, and can often go undetected. The only possible link between heart disease and video gaming would only be a confirmation of the link between living a sedentary lifestyle and heart disease. There is no plausible mechanism of action that would explain how sitting in front of a screen mashing buttons could cause heart failure, much less (in this particular case) the heart to grow larger and weaker.--CamilleT 21:45, 26 November 2011 (EST)

The kid died from a genetic heart condition, anything could have killed him. If he played an hour of videogames a day, he had a 1/24 chance in dying then from nothing but coincidence, that is not statistically insignificant. You are exploiting this poor boy's death to support your own agenda, and it's sick. If video games are so harmful, you should be able to find actual evidence, not shameful exploitation of a horrific coincidences. FCapra 21:48, 26 November 2011 (EST)

Studies exist about the harmful cardiovascular effects of video games. Here's one: Baldaro et al., Aggressive and Non-Violent Videogames: Short-Term Psychological and Cardiovascular Effects on Habitual Players, 20 Stress & Health: J. Int’l Society for Investigation of Stress 203 (2004). In only about 60 seconds of searching on the internet, this was also found: "Stress cardiomyopathy can definitely be life threatening in some cases." Hopkins FAQs--Andy Schlafly 22:52, 26 November 2011 (EST)

Sometimes, I love having electronic journal access. According to the study, it takes an extremely violent, high pressure game like Unreal Tournament to actually increase blood pressure, and in a healthy individual is not even enough to push the average person beyond a healthy pressure. Exercise also increases blood pressure, as does taking tests and reading particularly thrilling novels. This boy didn't die because of video games, he died because anything stressful could have killed him, and it happened to be a video game. So yes, you are dancing on his grave to prove a point you can't support with actual statistics. FCapra 23:13, 26 November 2011 (EST)

What was "extremely violent" and realistic in video games in 2004 (the date of the published article) is commonplace today. The extremely violent and highly realistic games available today were not accessible in 2004.

The possibility that this was "stress cardiomyopathy" would explain why it wasn't detected during the many physicals and repeated exercise routines that a high school and college football player typically has.--Andy Schlafly 23:30, 26 November 2011 (EST)

Actually, Doom has been around since 1993, and was played by over 10 million people, so violence in popular video games has been around for decades. You don't really seem to have any evidence, but still try to claim that video games are somehow more exceptionally harmful than any other stressful activity. You can't support your claims with facts, so you make assumptions from scientific abstracts, exploit a tragedy for "evidence", and attempt to use "logic" to extrapolate outdated information and make assumptions. You don't put the cart before the horse, and you don't make a claim and then look for evidence to back it up. What you are doing is disgraceful to Mr. Uekman's memory and you should be ashamed for using his death as a tool to advance your own moral ideals. FCapra 23:44, 26 November 2011 (EST)

The realistic nature of the violence -- and the level of stress -- obviously increases with technology. Here's another article about the effects on the cardiovascular system of video games as of 1996: Ballard & Wiest, Mortal Kombat (tm): The Effects of Violent Videogame Play on Males’ Hostility and Cardiovascular Responding, 26 J. Applied Soc. Psychology 717 (1996). This effect is probably orders of magnitude worse with today's technology.

What is the alternative explanation? That multiple doctors who would have performed physicals on a football player since high school tragically missed detecting a heart condition that could fail without stress at any random time? That does not seem as plausible to me.--Andy Schlafly 00:49, 27 November 2011 (EST)

Considering that the autopsy revealed that he had such a disorder, yes, it does seem plausible. "There are several types of cardiomyopathy, though it wasn't clear which type Uekman suffered from, Morris said. One kind, called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, thickens the heart and makes it harder to pump blood, and is often the culprit when young athletes suddenly collapse and die. Symptoms can include an irregular heartbeat and shortness of breath. In many cases, it goes undetected." Ayzmo :) 00:57, 27 November 2011 (EST)

I'm not trying to argue with your claim, Mr. Schlafly, I am arguing that the way you are supporting your claim is flawed and immoral. The man's death could have been caused by anything stressful, it happened to be video games. You are claiming that video games were inherently more responsible than any other stressful factor in his life. This is wrong. Almost anything could have resulted in his death, and if anything else had, he would be unknown to the face of Conservapedia. You cannot make a conclusion and then retroactively provide evidence without introducing bias to your claim. A person, a human being, tragically died at the peak of his life, you shouldn't pervert the circumstances of this tragedy to support an inherently flawed claim. FCapra 01:40, 27 November 2011 (EST)

Here's a 2008 articley on the impact of the advances in the technology of video games on the heart rate of players: Barlett, Rodeheffer, Baldassaro, Hinkin, & Harris, The Effect of Advances in Video Game Technology and Content on Aggressive Cognitions, Hostility, and Heart Rate, 11 Media Psychology 540 (2008).

As to stress cardiomyopathy, it "is a condition in which intense emotional or physical stress can cause rapid and severe heart muscle weakness .... Most of the patients we have seen with it do not have a previous history of heart disease." It is caused (Hopkins FAQs link above)--Andy Schlafly 11:23, 27 November 2011 (EST)

Far too many assumptions for my taste. You assume that he was playing a violent video game, that the effect of video games on the human body is "orders of magnitude worse with today's technology", that nothing else happened in the time between last witness and death, and that it's that particular kind of cardiomyopathy. Those are far too many assumptions when you consider that you're exploiting a young man's death to push your anti-videogame agenda.
The Hopkins FAQ lists death of a loved one as a possible emotional trigger for that particular kind of sudden cardiomyopathy - I really doubt that any video game comes anywhere near such a stress level, and you obviously are just guessing wildly, too.
If you don't believe that a physical exam didn't catch it, I gotta hold up two points: First, do all physical exams for college football teams include an echocardiogram or electrocardiogram? Two, here's a statement citing Arkansas Heart Hospital cardiologist Dr. Jeffrey Stewart: "According to Dr. Stewart, cardiomyopathy is difficult to detect becasue the symptoms are absent, early on. But symptoms include shortness of breath, fainting and heart palpitations. Dr. Stewart says the problem can be detected through an echocardiogram or electrocardiogram. But even through that, Dr. Stewart says it might not detect it."
Further, athletes have died from other forms of cardiomyopathy before: Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is one of the cardiac conditions associated with sudden death in young athletes. In fact, it is one of the more common genetic cardiac disorders. In the United States, it accounts for 36% of sudden deaths in young athletes. Here are two articles about athletes where their heart condition wasn't caught, leading to sudden death. An info page about a kind of cardiomyopathy includes a list of sports to avoid: Basketball, Soccer, Football, Hockey, Racquetball, Skiing, Tennis.
This death was a tragedy, so why are you trying so hard to twist the variables to push your agenda? This is the kinda stuff that gives Conservapedia a bad reputation. --Sid 3050 11:56, 27 November 2011 (EST)

You wrote, "includes a list of sports to avoid: Basketball, Soccer, Football, Hockey, Racquetball, Skiing, Tennis." Based on the news reports and discussion here, it appears that video games should be added to that list.--Andy Schlafly 12:16, 27 November 2011 (EST)

I should have known better than to expect an answer that actually addresses the important points. --Sid 3050 12:23, 27 November 2011 (EST)

Schafly, do you actually read the articles you post for us? Here is part of the summary from the one you just posted:

"Results showed that video game violence exposure was related to aggressive cognitions and state of hostility. Video game technology did not moderate this relationship. Finally, immersion, as an individual difference variable, did not moderate or mediate this relationship. This suggests that aggressive cognitions and feelings occur independent of how technologically advanced the graphics are and the extent to which one feels as though they are immersed in a violent video game."

How exactly is this supposed to support your claims? The article clearly states that technological advances do not increase aggression or stress. Maninahat 13:01, 27 November, 2011 (EST)

From what I've been reading here, the liberal element is deciding what constitutes "guilt" as far as violent video games are concerned. A game contributing to a football player's death just didn't happen, but they were very fast to condemn the Columbine killers and their connection to "Doom". It's all about morals here, what constitutes good and what constitutes bad. Certainly, this site is going to push good morality on the public, and if that means condemning the violence in something as benign as a video game, then so be it. I'd rather teach the kids how to race cars (NASCAR games) rather than steal them (Grand Theft Auto). Karajou 12:27, 27 November 2011 (EST)

That dosn't change the fact that you are exploiting someone's death to support your own, inherently flawed conclusions about morality and society. Is that "good"? Is that really your idea of morality? The face you have decided to present to the public is one where the death of another human is a tool for advancing ideals. For some reason, that doesn't seem very Christian or Conservative to me. FCapra 12:38, 27 November 2011 (EST)

What video game was he playing? BrianMcpherson 11:33, 27 November, 2011 (CST)

No report I've seen says so. Andy simply assumed that it's a violent game because that would fit his carefully constructed narrative. --Sid 3050 12:44, 27 November 2011 (EST)

No, a video game does not have to be "violent" to cause a heart attack: "Teen has heart attack playing Dance Dance Revolution." [6]--Andy Schlafly 12:57, 27 November 2011 (EST)

That's fantastic. Now please explain how you are morally justified in exploiting someone's death to support logically compromised conclusions? FCapra 13:02, 27 November 2011 (EST)

"Aschlafly (Talk | contribs) blocked FCapra (Talk | contribs) with an expiry time of 2 hours" Superb reply, Andy! --Sid 3050 13:07, 27 November 2011 (EST)

If they want a small analogy related to it, then here's one: about 1997-1998 I had to quit playing "Duke Nukem 3D" due to motion sickness, believe it or not, and this was caused by the game's graphics system. If such a problem can happen to me, it can happen to anyone else as well. Karajou 13:12, 27 November 2011 (EST)

Another example: "Parents should know that every time they buy their child a game, there is the potential for an epileptic fit,” observed one mother after a tragic result. [7]--Andy Schlafly 13:37, 27 November 2011 (EST)

I see from the Recent Changes that you have also blocked Sid3050. What sort of behavior is that? At least announce the blocks here, so that readers of this debate don't get the impression that your opponents have just chickened out. --FrederickT3 14:53, 27 November 2011 (EST)

It would be contrary to the legitimate purpose of a "90/10 rule" block if it required posting additional messages on talk pages about it. The 90/10 rule has been in place since nearly the very beginning of this site and it does not (and should not) generate additional talk.--Andy Schlafly 14:58, 27 November 2011 (EST)

It would indeed be contrary to the legitimate purpose of the 90/10 rule, however, not even you can pretend that this is enforcement is for a legitimate purpose. Rather, you cannot answer their objections, so you censor them. Pretty shabby stuff. --DamianJohn 13:22, 28 November 2011 (EST)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh, and the russian news anchor:

Firing the Russian News Anchor

I understand that the reference to liberal media is meant as a joke, but I don't see how this news story deserves Conservapedia's attention. A Russian news organisation fires someone for displaying offensive behaviour on a professional news channel. What has this got to do with the American liberal media? maninahat 10:53, 27 November 2011 (EST)

The headline is not a joke; the popular Russian anchor was really fired. Liberals don't tolerate criticism if they are in control, and it's shocking to learn that the Russian media behaves like the liberal media in the U.S.--Andy Schlafly 12:12, 27 November 2011 (EST)

He wasn't fired for criticizing Obama. He was fired for giving the finger during broadcast. Apparently, he was giving the finger to the production crew.--CamilleT 14:31, 27 November 2011 (EST)

@CamilleT Er ... she (watch the video). @Andy No really, this must be a joke. You cannot with a straight face be claiming that the Russian media is liberal. (Well, maybe a little bit liberal in that they employ female news anchors.) --QPR 16:28, 27 November 2011 (EST)

I don't think firing that popular anchor can be called "conservative"!--Andy Schlafly 18:43, 27 November 2011 (EST)

I'm pretty sure any news anchor would be fired for doing something that we generally consider "obscene" on the air. I don't see why that is a matter of political ideology. Ayzmo :) 18:49, 27 November 2011 (EST)

I don't think firing that popular anchor can be called "conservative" But pulling offensive gestures during a life TV broadcast is Conservative? MaxFletcher 20:01, 27 November 2011 (EST)

'I don't think firing that popular anchor can be called "conservative".' Absolutely - which is why no one has called it conservative. On the other hand, I don't think that firing a popular anchor can be called "liberal", and yet that seems to be the message of the original post. Andy, wake up and smell the coffee: not everything that happens on this planet is a liberal versus conservative issue. --QPR 12:15, 28 November 2011 (EST)

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

nsaP posted:

Another example: "Parents should know that every time they buy their child a game, there is the potential for an epileptic fit," observed one mother after a tragic result. [7]--Andy Schlafly 13:37, 27 November 2011 (EST)

That entire talk page is fantastic but this quote really gets me. He's not even trying to give examples at this point, it's just "a lady said a thing I agree with so it's true". Like he's channeling his inner Bachmann.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

mintskoal posted:

That entire talk page is fantastic but this quote really gets me. He's not even trying to give examples at this point, it's just "a lady said a thing I agree with so it's true". Like he's channeling his inner Bachmann.

Plus video games causing epilepsy and video games causing stress related heart conditions are two completely unrelated, incomparable issues. Mostly because the latter one is unsupported bullshit.

Pead fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 28, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I like how that "90/10 rule" basically makes arguing with Andy a bannable offense.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mintskoal posted:

He says it like it's revelation as well, meanwhile in reality epilepsy warnings were in game booklets since I can remember and pop up on nearly every game now I think. Honestly I'm not sure because I'm so used to flipping thru it on a Wii.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Andy posted:

Liberals don't tolerate criticism if they are in control

quote:

Aschlafly (Talk | contribs) blocked FCapra (Talk | contribs) with an expiry time of 2 hours

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah but Liberals can't tolerate it because Conservatives are telling the truth, Andy can't tolerate it because the Liberals are trying to spread lies; it's two different things you see.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Sucks that videogames showed up and invented cardiomyopathy and epilepsy. Good thing televisions aren't related to a sedentary lifestyle, otherwise people would have to stop watching Fox News.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Igiari posted:

Sucks that videogames showed up and invented cardiomyopathy and epilepsy. Good thing televisions aren't related to a sedentary lifestyle, otherwise people would have to stop watching Fox News.

Real conservatives watch Fox News at the gym.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
What gets me more than anything in that exchange is this one reply:

Andy Schlafly posted:

The headline is not a joke; the popular Russian anchor was really fired. Liberals don't tolerate criticism if they are in control, and it's shocking to learn that the Russian media behaves like the liberal media in the U.S.--Andy Schlafly 12:12, 27 November 2011 (EST)

Given that Andy is clearly willing to ascribe non-American, non-conservative Christian every bad motive and flaw in the book... he claims to be shocked that a Russian organism would behave in a way that he interprets as repressively authoritarian? Really?

This man continues to fascinate...

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

What gets me more than anything in that exchange is this one reply:

Given that Andy is clearly willing to ascribe non-American, non-conservative Christian every bad motive and flaw in the book... he claims to be shocked that a Russian organism would behave in a way that he interprets as repressively authoritarian? Really?

This man continues to fascinate...

It's because he doesn't understand any politics, US or foreign. Everything is viewed through the distorted prism of his bias and ignorance, so anything bad that happens is immediately attributable to liberalism, socialism, communism, etc. while conservatism and the entire right half of the political spectrum is immune to criticism.

It's basically a No True Scotsman fallacy, where any conservative/conservatism doing a "bad thing" isn't really a true conservative or conservatism. Schlafly really can't conceive of Russia being a conservative (e.g. rampant racism and nativism, jingoistic military and foreign policy, etc.), authoritative nation like that he wishes for the US

Andy's criticism of Russia in this topic is just an extension of the rubric that anything bad in Europe is caused by socialism and the effete, wimpiness of Europeans. It doesn't occur to him that there are non-political reasons for things, like that anchor being fired for performing an obscene gesture unless it was attached to a conservative figure. Also, if George W. Bush had been the president mentioned with the gesture, Schlafly would champion his firing as a way of combating liberal bias in the media and increasing reporting objectivity.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

nsaP posted:

Andy Schlafly would rather hit himself in the dick with a hammer than admit he is wrong about anything, ever.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Bruce Leroy posted:

It's because he doesn't understand any politics, US or foreign. Everything is viewed through the distorted prism of his bias and ignorance, so anything bad that happens is immediately attributable to liberalism, socialism, communism, etc. while conservatism and the entire right half of the political spectrum is immune to criticism.

:words:

Yeah. When you boil it down, Schalfly doesn't really know anyother about either US or foreign politics, or the way in which politics interacts with culture. Andy does not hold any concept of a 'liberal/conservative' division I have ever seen amoung any other person I've ever seen in US politics, or anywhere else for that matter, and he draws conclusions from the loving moon. While a lot of his basic veiws are in line with evangelical creationist types (though weirdly he's a Catholic :psyduck:), his singular obsession with these labels is utterly beyond anyone I've ever seen, and manifests in completely bizarre ways (the Bible 'retranslation' project). I honestly suspect he believes the entire universe and the history of human thought could be in-principle partitioned into exclusive and exhaustive lists of liberal things and conservative things.

I actually suspect Andy's probably a little mentally unsound.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Yeah. When you boil it down, Schalfly doesn't really know anyother about either US or foreign politics, or the way in which politics interacts with culture. Andy does not hold any concept of a 'liberal/conservative' division I have ever seen amoung any other person I've ever seen in US politics, or anywhere else for that matter, and he draws conclusions from the loving moon. While a lot of his basic veiws are in line with evangelical creationist types (though weirdly he's a Catholic :psyduck:), his singular obsession with these labels is utterly beyond anyone I've ever seen, and manifests in completely bizarre ways (the Bible 'retranslation' project). I honestly suspect he believes the entire universe and the history of human thought could be in-principle partitioned into exclusive and exhaustive lists of liberal things and conservative things.

I actually suspect Andy's probably a little mentally unsound.

It kind of seems like how some religious people just classify everything they don't like and which aren't part of their religion as "evil." Schlafly is basically doing the same thing, just with different nomenclature, i.e. conservative=good and liberal=evil.

Gilyon
Mar 4, 2010
I never get tired of the complete hypocrisy of this site:

quote:

A New Jersey State Senator never lets a tragic case of child abuse go to waste. Instead of reforming the State child protective service, she proposes a bill to make homeschooling more difficult and subject to more government intrusion. [3]
is one entry above this:

quote:

The Norwegian who enjoyed playing violent video games before murdering 68 at a government youth camp may even avoid jail. [5] No word yet on whether he'll be playing the latest new video games.
and just a few days after this:

quote:

Confirmed: the tragic death after playing video games was from cardiac arrest, for a college football player with a heart condition who had competed successfully in 9 games this season for a top-ranked team. [19] Are video games more stressful than playing high-pressure college football?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Gilyon posted:

is one entry above this:

and just a few days after this:
CPS is bad, homeschooling is good, video games are bad. What's not to get? :smug:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Incidentally, psychiatric detention is the only way you can be detained for life in Norway; else, you're released after (I believe) 21 years.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TinTower posted:

Incidentally, psychiatric detention is the only way you can be detained for life in Norway; else, you're released after (I believe) 21 years.

It's why the Norwegians are so profoundly devoted to rehabilitation. Also they're apparently pretty good at it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Gilyon posted:

Part of it is that there are multiple editors on it who all have the same "everything is liberal vs. conservative" blinders on, but have varied ideas on what they are.

Like my favorite combo currently is this:

Exhibit A: Yet another ShockofgodConservative-authored page which is basically a remix album of his other pages:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Irreligion_and_superstition

... a page devoted to how irreligious people are more prone to pseudoscience and superstition.

Let's ignore that this is the same person as that worships YouTube user Shockofgod with his totally scientific evolution denial and totally non-superstitious belief that he is under constant surveillance by an all-powerful being that will send him to eternal torment if he puts his dick in the wrong thing or without performing the appropriate rituals first, and instead go to (previously mentioned) exhibit B:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Ouija_board

... where user Anupam has inserted a lengthy diatribe on why Ouija boards aren't just bad for (totally-non-superstitious) "occult connotations", but that they literally summon demons.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 30, 2011

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pope Guilty posted:

It's why the Norwegians are so profoundly devoted to rehabilitation. Also they're apparently pretty good at it.

To be honest, Scandinavia tends to do a lot of stuff right. They get a lot of flack for their justice policy even though rehabilitative justice is demonstrably better than BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! :black101:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TinTower posted:

I'm not Norwegian but I think that after you've served your 21 years you can have your sentence extended for another 5, and another 5 after that and so on.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not Norwegian but I think that after you've served your 21 years you can have your sentence extended for another 5, and another 5 after that and so on.
Yeah don't they have a thing where at the end of the sentence they're able to determine whether you'd be a danger to society if let go and if you're determined that you are they can hold you longer?

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

The Rokstar posted:

I like how that "90/10 rule" basically makes arguing with Andy a bannable offense.
Schafly himself must be pretty far off the ratio, but has anyone ever sat down and calculated just how distant his own posting is from his strict guideline? Of course, posting such information would be liberal in nature and would warrant a ban.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

ZobarStyl posted:

Schafly himself must be pretty far off the ratio, but has anyone ever sat down and calculated just how distant his own posting is from his strict guideline? Of course, posting such information would be liberal in nature and would warrant a ban.

It's not liberal, the rules just don't apply to him!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Ouija_board

... where user Anupam has inserted a lengthy diatribe on why Ouija boards aren't just bad for (totally-non-superstitious) "occult connotations", but that they literally summon demons.

It's not superstition if it's true :eng101:

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

TinTower posted:

To be honest, Scandinavia tends to do a lot of stuff right. They get a lot of flack for their justice policy even though rehabilitative justice is demonstrably better than BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! :black101:

The thing is, it's not just that Scandinavian countries focus on rehabilitation, it's that they prevent crime from happening in the first place by providing social programs, reduce poverty, and generally do things to improve people's lives before they resort to crime.

So, it's not just that many conservatives would be against Scandinavian criminal justice policies, they'd also oppose most government and social policies (and associated taxes).

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bruce Leroy posted:

The thing is, it's not just that Scandinavian countries focus on rehabilitation, it's that they prevent crime from happening in the first place by providing social programs, reduce poverty, and generally do things to improve people's lives before they resort to crime.

So, it's not just that many conservatives would be against Scandinavian criminal justice policies, they'd also oppose most government and social policies (and associated taxes).

We would have a stronger public health / welfare / everything if not gpr the southern us. When these institutions were created here and in Europe, the south was still deeply Jim crow and federal benefits deeply distrusted as not discriminatory

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ron Jeremy posted:

We would have a stronger public health / welfare / everything if not gpr the southern us. When these institutions were created here and in Europe, the south was still deeply Jim crow and federal benefits deeply distrusted as not discriminatory

So what you're saying is, we should let the South and the shittier parts of the Midwest and West secede from the Union before or during Civil War II, allowing the Rest Of The United States become a shitload better, and then wait until the floundering and poor One True United States Republic joins back up after bankrupting and/or overthrowing their tyrannical dictator.

Might work.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You forgot the part where the One True Republic bombs the gently caress out of the pussy liberals and takes our country by force.

Do you think their country would fail with them blaming themselves and falling into humility and obscurity? We're in year 11 of a war against DUDES IN CAVES who we're convinced are going to kill us.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Worked for Germany! Oh wai

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I wish the southern US would leave the union, it truly horrifies me to think what they'd do if left to their own devices.

The north is the hero from Diablo and the south is Diablo's soulstone, basically.
:goonsay:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Rokstar posted:

As much as I wish the southern US would leave the union, it truly horrifies me to think what they'd do if left to their own devices.

The north is the hero from Diablo and the south is Diablo's soulstone, basically.
:goonsay:
So the north is eventually going to be corrupted by the evil of the south and have to be destroyed?

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

FactsAreUseless posted:

So the north is eventually going to be corrupted by the evil of the south and have to be destroyed?

Then China is going to have to come in as our successor and kill us once and for all.

We need to fill the swamps of Louisiana up with evil animated tiki fetish dolls who shoot blowdarts, so China will just get fed up and quit.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Huitzil posted:

Then China is going to have to come in as our successor and kill us once and for all.

We need to fill the swamps of Louisiana up with evil animated tiki fetish dolls who shoot blowdarts, so China will just get fed up and quit.

Actually China will probably have Russia come in and rush them through that part to get to the not-annoying stuff after. Then we're really screwed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Isn't that what's happening now?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

(found via RationalWiki)

I'm not sure if this is serious or something by a troll, but a lot of people have contributed to expanding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

quote:

Less than one percent of Japan is Christian, implying that the Japanese language is simply not up to the task of conveying the powerful Conservative ideals of that religion. This is supported by the far higher number of Anglophone ethnic-Japanese Christians who live in the United States. Furthermore, Japan has many socialist programs, including universal health care and a program that pays tax money to atomic bomb survivors.

I don't think this is satire or parody. It's too good to be.

• Locked thread