Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

DapperDuck posted:

The talk about Justin Wong's commentating reminded me of the fact that I don't recall seeing him, or other high-name players like Floe, Marn, or Mike Ross, at WNFs. Any reason for that? I could be making this up, since I only just got back into watching tournament streams because of Ultimate's release, so that's only two weeks of watching? Not sure.

Mike Ross and Marn are there sometimes, Marn moreso than Mike. No idea why Floe and Justin don't go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really enjoyed whoever did the Grand Finals of MvC 3 at EVO. I want to say it was Seth Killian and UltraDavid?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Seth Killian has perfect levels of hype for the situation when he is commentating. I love how worked up he gets for EVO.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Seth also has an amazing sense of humor and can slip funny poo poo into nearly anything he says without it being horribly obvious.

His commentary is a real joy to listen to, it's a shame we don't get more of it.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

S:
Seth Killian
Justin Wong

A:
Yipes
SkiSonic
Spooky

B:
Chris Hu
James Chen

C:
UltraDavid

rear end:
Winrich

Note: If UltraDavid and James Chen are paired up they both move to rear end tier.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Shut up dude, winrich rules

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Seizure Robot posted:

S:
Seth Killian
Justin Wong

A:
Yipes
SkiSonic
Spooky

B:
Chris Hu
James Chen

C:
UltraDavid

rear end:
Winrich

Note: If UltraDavid and James Chen are paired up they both move to rear end tier.

No Dogface? This tier list is bullshit!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Jaha for S+ tier. :colbert:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Dogface and Steve for MSF tier.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Crusher posted:

Seth Killian has perfect levels of hype for the situation when he is commentating. I love how worked up he gets for EVO.

Hell yeah S-kill rules on commmentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMtakEPWflQ

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Also, I'd like to throw Ryan Hunter out there as a solid B+ tier. Very insightful commentary, though it can be a bit dry when he's on his own. I thought he did fantastic with S-Kill at Evo, though I understand the Illuminati were a little miffed he wore his Option-Select t-shirt rather than a shirt+tie combo like really everyone else on commentary.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

kaujot posted:

Also, I'd like to throw Ryan Hunter out there as a solid B+ tier. Very insightful commentary, though it can be a bit dry when he's on his own. I thought he did fantastic with S-Kill at Evo, though I understand the Illuminati were a little miffed he wore his Option-Select t-shirt rather than a shirt+tie combo like really everyone else on commentary.

Yeah, thats why we need Chen and David on everything. They may suck but whats important is furthering esports. Blazers, no swears, no blacks, final destination

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Combofiend also does really great self commentary (smack talk). He is funny as hell whether he is winning or losing.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

The Crusher posted:

Combofiend also does really great self commentary (smack talk). He is funny as hell whether he is winning or losing.

No one can talk better and play at the same time than Combofiend. A steady stream of godliness.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

kaujot posted:

Jaha for S+ tier. :colbert:

No one else is as based as he is :colbert:

Except maybe Chris Hu.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Seizure Robot posted:

buhhhhhhhhh tiers

Ehh, more like:

S:
Dogface
Justin Wong
Yipes

A:
Seth Killian
Jaha
SkiSonic

B:
UltraDavid
Spooky
Chris Hu

C:
James Chen

rear end:
Mr. Quotes and MarlinPie
Aris

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

10Stars drunk commentating his loss against Winrich was pretty godlike too.

But back to the game itself, have any of you been using Firebrand? I've been putting in some training time with him and he has some seriously sick mixups/unblockable setups, even if his damage is low.

I'm really struggling to find a team for him though. All I know for sure right now is I'm going to want a lockdown assist for unblockables, which will probably mean Sent Dorm or Ammy in anchor for him. I'm thinking Firebrand might be better off in the 2nd slot so he has meter to burn on Luminous but at the same time I've seen some really cool tag combos for him that do a lot more damage than he can solo, so I might put him 1st because he's so good at opening people up.

Any recommendations on a battery character that will run well with one of Firebrand's assists and one of the aforementioned anchors? Or a 2nd whose assist will benefit Firebrand and can end a combo for him with big damage? I've mainly been using Wesker/Firebrand/Sent thus far but not finding a whole lot of synergy there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Seizure Robot posted:

10Stars drunk commentating his loss against Winrich was pretty godlike too.

But back to the game itself, have any of you been using Firebrand? I've been putting in some training time with him and he has some seriously sick mixups/unblockable setups, even if his damage is low.

I'm really struggling to find a team for him though. All I know for sure right now is I'm going to want a lockdown assist for unblockables, which will probably mean Sent Dorm or Ammy in anchor for him. I'm thinking Firebrand might be better off in the 2nd slot so he has meter to burn on Luminous but at the same time I've seen some really cool tag combos for him that do a lot more damage than he can solo, so I might put him 1st because he's so good at opening people up.

Any recommendations on a battery character that will run well with one of Firebrand's assists and one of the aforementioned anchors? Or a 2nd whose assist will benefit Firebrand and can end a combo for him with big damage? I've mainly been using Wesker/Firebrand/Sent thus far but not finding a whole lot of synergy there.

I use Firebrand/Storm/Sent. I think Firebrand is a really good battery, so I love him + storm because he can build tons of meters that she can then use for all the hailstorms. If you do a combo into OTG fire breath super DHC into hailstorm, you get pretty good damage considering it's Firebrand. Then if you have Sentinel slot 3 you can DHC again into plasma ball, I think that's like 850k for 3 meters or something, which isn't great until you remember you're playing Firebrand.

Firebrand+Sentinel has a ton of unblockable setups, as you probably know. My standby has been do a M fireball on an incoming character right as you call Sent drones. Immediately being charging DP+H. Right after they block the last drone, the swoop hits and you get a full combo.

Another unblockable setup I've been doing is just do a normal BnB that ends with Round Trip (surfboard). Then instead of comboing off it, just dash back (to put them back in the corner) and call Sentinel drones, and begin charging swoop. Whether they roll left or right, they still have to block the drones and you get an unblockable. Still experimenting with this one as I don't have it very consistent yet, there might be a better reset into unblockable involving drones that I haven't figured out yet. Anyway if you do this combo and successfully land the unblockable, you will have plenty of meter and can easily kill the character by comboing off the swoop.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Brosnan posted:

C:
James Chen

James on his own isn't very good, but he was the perfect straight man for Yipes duon the Good vs Evil set at Seasons Beatings.

One of my favorite commentary moments happens during Marlinpie vs Tokido. At one point Yipes knows a combo is coming from Marlinpie's Viper and he goes "HOLD UP". Sure enough, Marlinpie hits the combo an Yipes starts with his trademark "OH OH OH" like the combo would suddenly drop if he didn't say OH.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Brosnan posted:

rear end:
Mr. Quotes and MarlinPie
Aris

Mr. Quotes is the worst ever and should be in his own category at the bottom of every commentator tier list.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dren posted:

Mr. Quotes is the worst ever and should be in his own category at the bottom of every commentator tier list.

Roll Tier:
Mr. Quotes

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Just got the game and… i suck at it :( i wish capcom would release single player content(yeah yeah i know) . Was there supposed to be a new mode coming up soon?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

TheCool69 posted:

Just got the game and… i suck at it :( i wish capcom would release single player content(yeah yeah i know) . Was there supposed to be a new mode coming up soon?

They did release single player content, it's called training mode!

But in all seriousness, Heroes and Heralds is the new mode thats supposed to be coming soon, though I don't think it's singleplayer orientated at all.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Fellblade posted:

But in all seriousness, Heroes and Heralds is the new mode thats supposed to be coming soon, though I don't think it's singleplayer orientated at all.

Last I heard you can play online or against the CPU to earn cards. No idea if the rewards are the same for both modes or not.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How do you follow up after Morrigan's forward+H on the ground? It seems you need to be insanely quick with the follow up jump, and i'm not sure what I should be doing to extend the combo/relaunch.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Trying out Felica in this game right now lots of fun and messing with Strider on Anchor instead of point, Wavedashing with Oroborous is the best thing.

Brosnan posted:

Ehh, more like:

S:
Dogface
Justin Wong
Yipes

A:
Seth Killian
Jaha
SkiSonic

B:
UltraDavid
Spooky
Chris Hu

C:
James Chen

rear end:
Mr. Quotes and MarlinPie
Aris

I agree completely.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How do you follow up after Morrigan's forward+H on the ground? It seems you need to be insanely quick with the follow up jump, and i'm not sure what I should be doing to extend the combo/relaunch.

I know that you can at least do a j.MHS, land s.L, etc. I think you can do s.M instead of s.L, but the timing is a lot more strict. You could probably also do some fancier fly/unfly poo poo, but I don't know anything off the top of my head. Maybe j.MH, dp, fly, j.S, continue combo on the ground.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Oh are we posting tier lists now? Yes these are ordered within tiers as well.

S tier:
Yipes

A tier:
Chris Hu
Chris Matrix
Justin Wong
Steve from the midwest
Noel Brown
Seth Killian

B tier:
Quotes
Ultradavid
Mike Ross
Spooky
Aris
Marn
Aquasilk
Combofiend
Skisonic
Floe
Gootecks

C tier:
AJ

poo poo tier:
James Chen
Tom Brady

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

S tier:
Yipes

A tier:
Chris Hu
Chris Matrix
Justin Wong
Steve from the midwest
Noel Brown
Seth Killian

B tier:
Quotes
Ultradavid
Mike Ross
Spooky
Aris
Marn
Aquasilk
Combofiend
Skisonic
Floe
Gootecks

C tier:
AJ

poo poo tier:
James Chen
Tom Brady

Where does Magus fit in all this

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bosushi! posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU378JRzsuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The running sets he did with the female SF4 player was awkward as hell too.

The look on Gootecks's face when Zhi says "Shots fired at the LGBT community" is amazing.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

I don't know, who's Magus?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PonchAxis posted:

"Seriously, shut the gently caress up" tier.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tae posted:

"Seriously, shut the gently caress up" tier.

:hfive: and that video with Zhi is loving amazing.

Anyways back to ultimate, I can't seem to do anything with Strider, and I find it hard to combo after his otg.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bosushi! posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU378JRzsuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The running sets he did with the female SF4 player was awkward as hell too.

Holy poo poo, that's disgusting. I'm glad that at least Ross and Gootecks didn't join in, but I'm still a little sad they didn't call him out on it. Just a simple "hey there's no need for that poo poo" would have been pretty amazing.

Also, with commentator chat, the worst thing about Quotes is when someone on the stream tells him to start talking about the game rather than whatever dumb poo poo he's talking about, and since he doesn't know how to commentate, he just does straight description in a :smug: voice thinking he's showing why play by play is dumb.

EDIT: more game chat. Help me fill in the blanks. XXXXXX/Wesker (gunshot)/ Doom (XXX). I'm strongly leaning Wolverine and plasma beam, but other ideas include Dante and Vergil, all also with beam, or run a pseudo clockw0rk team and do dog with missiles...or dog with beam. I can toy with things until I feel comfortable, but am I missing anyone interesting on that point slot? I've considered dorm, but I just think this team is too meter hungry to sustain him.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 3, 2011

Disease
Oct 6, 2011

Seizure Robot posted:

I'm really struggling to find a team for him though.

I've had some luck with Firebrand (ground fire)/Hulk (gamma wave)/Doom (missiles).

Doom missiles into firebrand unblockable is your go-to, but even if you can't land it every time it is a pain to deal with both missiles as well as FB swooping around you. Hulk gamma wave makes any air throw with firebrand below max super jump height lead to a combo without using meter. After doing the firebrand BnB into flames super in the corner you can obviously DHC into the Hulk meteor super for huge damage - or end the combo by TACing to Hulk and landing the super by itself for good damage for 1 meter - or try your hand at the Hulk corner infinite OR double TAC to Doom for "flying M's" for a poo poo-ton of meter.

Hulk can use Doom missiles to combo after his command throw and to make his risky moves safer.

And finally Doom is obviously very good by himself and pretty handy with level 3 x-factor.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Parallax Scroll posted:

S tier:
Yipes

A tier:
Ryan Hunter
Chris Hu
Chris Matrix
Justin Wong
Steve from the midwest
Noel Brown
Seth Killian

B tier:
Quotes
Ultradavid
Mike Ross
Spooky
Aris
Marn
Aquasilk
Combofiend
Skisonic
Floe
Gootecks

C tier:
AJ

poo poo tier:
James Chen
Tom Brady

Everyone forgets Florida :(

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Maybe if they were more central Florida I'd remember.

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
I don't think the tier list is fair because it's hard to account for synergy when paired with other commentators, as is the nature of the game. One may have high knowledge but not great hype ability, but when paired with the right person, can create an unstoppable force. Consider the teams, people.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Forward+H is able to be jump cancelled, so as soon as you hit it you should be jumping upforward to follow your opponent. Once you're in the air you have quite a lot of followup depending on how much damage you want to get out of it but get harder to execute the more damaging they are. Here's a couple follow ups from F+H in order of difficulty and damage:

j.MH delay S land cr.MHS sj.MMH Shadow Blade H

j.MH delay S land cr.MH F+H j.MH delay S land cr.MHS sj.MMH Shadow Blade H

j.MMH Soul Fist H Fly adf j.HS land cr.H F+H j.MMH Soul Fist H Fly adf j.HS land cr.HS sj.MMH Shadow Blade H

With all of these you can cancel the Shadow Blade into Finishing Shower or Darkness Illusion for more damage, and if you end with the former you can also connect with an S when you gain control again depending on the position of your opponent and followed up with a Shadow Servant if you choose. Shadow Servant can also be followed up from her level 3 if you have the meter and really want the kill or extra damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My homeboy Fanatiq is streaming some random matches for the rest of the night: http://www.twitch.tv/mrfanatiq

• Locked thread