Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW

Blinky2099 posted:

Nice. I guess I'll just have to wait, then.

Any Cherry MX Blues with light-up keys other than the $130 blackwidow ultimate?

The Ducky Shine is available here now with blue switches. http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=11422

I recently got mine, and god drat it's the nicest keyboard I've had. I don't see how people don't notice the difference between mechanical and dome because it's night and day. Mechanical keyboards are definitely not a gimmick and worth the premium. Ducky's are generally known for their quality and the LEDs have 5 settings, it gets so bright I doubt you'll go past setting two. Also has the option to light up WASD + Arrow keys, etc. These just became available here in the states, though it seems like more keyboards keep coming out by the month if you wanna wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OneZeroSix posted:

The Ducky Shine is available here now with blue switches. http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=11422

I recently got mine, and god drat it's the nicest keyboard I've had. I don't see how people don't notice the difference between mechanical and dome because it's night and day. Mechanical keyboards are definitely not a gimmick and worth the premium. Ducky's are generally known for their quality and the LEDs have 5 settings, it gets so bright I doubt you'll go past setting two. Also has the option to light up WASD + Arrow keys, etc. These just became available here in the states, though it seems like more keyboards keep coming out by the month if you wanna wait.
What exactly is the big difference between keyboards such as this, and the razer? If the keys are exactly the same, does the rest of the keyboard build really make that much of a quality difference?

My friend told me about the ducky shine, but he said it was closer to $200, so I ignored it. That seems at least slightly more reasonable, except I don't know what's so special about it quality wise.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW

Blinky2099 posted:

What exactly is the big difference between keyboards such as this, and the razer? If the keys are exactly the same, does the rest of the keyboard build really make that much of a quality difference?

My friend told me about the ducky shine, but he said it was closer to $200, so I ignored it. That seems at least slightly more reasonable, except I don't know what's so special about it quality wise.

Well I know a lot of people complain about the Blackwidow, and about Razer's declining quality control. I've heard of some people having their keycaps wearing down on the BW, among other problems. Ducky has double layered lazer etched keys, steel frame, extra WASD keys, and a stand-alone usb cable. But the quality of the Ducky and other companies like Leopold or Flico aren't going to be as dramatic, it comes down to which one you like better.

Oh yeah, Deck also sells backlite keyboards but I don't like their aesthetics, and they're more expensive than the Ducky.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ok gently caress it, I read a ton of stuff comparing BW with the ducky and I'm going with the ducky. it's expensive as gently caress but I love the back lit keys and everyone says the quality is exceptionally high, so whatever. I spend enough time on the computer to almost justify it. trip report to come

also they have 5% off code on their twitter.

thanks for all of the help everyone :)

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Anybody seen the new K60 coming out from Corsair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816001&Tpk=corsair%20k60

Looks pretty nice even if they compromised with the rubber dome switches. Thinking about picking one up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah we've been talking about the Corsairs for a while mainly because they're the first mechanicals with modern keyboard features like media keys, 20KRO and macros.
Looking forward to trying one.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I have a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. It's great, I love it, but it doesn't really feel right for games; it's most comfortable when my hands are on the home row, and if I'm gaming they probably aren't. I was considering getting a gaming keyboard as well, but it'd clutter up my desk too much, and I don't really need a keyboard; I only need half of one. A little searching brought to my attention gaming half-keyboards like the Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad, but I have no idea of their relative quality. Does anyone here have experience with keypads like these? How comfortable are they? Should I just buy a $30 second keyboard instead?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For like 20 dollars more you can get something like a Choc Mini which can function as a real life keyboard as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blinky2099 posted:

One's like buying a ford while your bro buys a Porsche.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
If the black widow is anything like the other Razer products I've used, every part that is made by Razer, that is everything but the Cherry Switches, will be made with their signature 15 cent plastic they got from melting down toy plains at the dollar store. Everything on my Filco feels like it's high quality plastic, and the WASD keycaps I bought separately are of similar quality, actually they are somewhat nicer and I'm thinking of buying a whole set.

Uterus Poker posted:

PBT

I sure would love to try some of those out, unfortunately it's a tossup between nicer keys (those PBTs) and red ones from WASD

I know what you mean about the shinyness thing, my Filco keys are definitely getting there, the WASD keys don't seem to be though and that's one of the reasons I like them better.

also people looking for back lit keyboards might be interested in this. Dunno about you guys, but red > blue back lighting in my book.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 4, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

If the black widow is anything like the other Razer products I've used, every part that is made by Razer, that is everything but the Cherry Switches, will be made with their signature 15 cent plastic they got from melting down toy plains at the dollar store. Everything on my Filco feels like it's high quality plastic, and the WASD keycaps I bought separately are of similar quality, actually they are somewhat nicer and I'm thinking of buying a whole set.

Surprisingly, they are both made from the same type of plastic, or so I've heard, called ABS for short - it's the same stuff they make Legos out of. Any differences you are feeling is probably more due to thickness of the material.

Like Legos, ABS keycaps can apparently get a bit of a 'shine' to them from finger oils, and aren't generally preferred for keycaps, with the exception of when they are used for double-shot keys because ABS is supposed to be the only plastic type that handles molds well.

Both of my Chinese imitation keyboards actually came with POM and PBT, two of the "heavier" feeling plastics, so I've never personally gotten to try ABS. I'm pretty happy with the feel of these (although I like the PBT ones more, feel really heavy and sturdy with no shine), but the PBTs sadly have pad printing.

If you want a set of PBT keycaps on the cheap, a user named qtan from geekhack has a storefront for his ebay store here; he seems to have really good reviews over on those forums. I was planning on grabbing one of the engraved lettering PBT sets from him when I get a Leopold soon. Also, I think he gives discounts or something if you are a geekhack member or mention geekhack, so it might be worth signing up there.

Bonus review: one of my roommates has a Black Widow with blues, and the keys feel very very cheap compared to my $95 Choc Mini or $75 cheaper PLU keyboard - I'd avoid it, especially with the Leopolds being such high quality at an equal or better price.

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

Uterus Poker posted:

Surprisingly, they are both made from the same type of plastic, or so I've heard, called ABS for short - it's the same stuff they make Legos out of. Any differences you are feeling is probably more due to thickness of the material.

"ABS" doesn't just refer to a single plastic, but rather to any plastic consisting of an acrylonitrile butadiene styrene copolymer. The proportions of the three monomers in the final copolymer can be tailored, and the properties of the final polymer modified with a variety of additives, to produce many grades and qualities of plastic that can all accurately be described as "ABS".

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Ossetepo posted:

"ABS" doesn't just refer to a single plastic, but rather to any plastic consisting of an acrylonitrile butadiene styrene copolymer. The proportions of the three monomers in the final copolymer can be tailored, and the properties of the final polymer modified with a variety of additives, to produce many grades and qualities of plastic that can all accurately be described as "ABS".

Ahh, thanks, that probably explains the wide range of reviews I've gotten on keycaps made with ABS. I've always been of the belief that the thickness of keys from varied manufacturers led to the different reviews, but what you said about additives explains it better.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Uterus Poker posted:

If you want a set of PBT keycaps on the cheap, a user named qtan from geekhack has a storefront for his ebay store here; he seems to have really good reviews over on those forums. I was planning on grabbing one of the engraved lettering PBT sets from him when I get a Leopold soon. Also, I think he gives discounts or something if you are a geekhack member or mention geekhack, so it might be worth signing up there.

I did this 3 or 4 months ago on geekhack with imsto instead of qtan (nothing against qtan, but at the time imsto was the one connected for these). I got the new black printing on white keys what was thought at the time to have a universal spacebar to fit cherry costar and leopold. This spacebar KBC makes only fits the 200r (tenkeyless) and not the 500r (fullsize) keyboard. If this sound dumb it is, they stabilizers are very similar in spacing, but they have enough of a difference that the spacebars cannot be traded between the two model.

While still on the topic, I like the feeling of PBT caps better than ABS. The PBT caps don't have the greasy/slippery feel that ABS does. There is more texture to the PBT caps overall that feels good when typing.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Quick question, whats up with the WSAD obsession. ESDF is clearly superior.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I don't know, I was willing to try it, but I find my pinky stretching uncomfortably so to reach shift, and when I played wow, my vent ptt key was caps lock - so I needed a key very close at all times, yet something I would never normally type. Yes, there's specific reason to reach shift and ctrl in wow, to use them as modifiers. Maybe that's just me. Oh, yeah, the ANSI layout. I use the layout with the tiny shift; I guess you won't have that issue.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pfft, WASD and ESDF are for losers.

ASD Spacebar :smugdog:

Shift for Jump, Ctrl for Crouch.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
So I went ahead and bought a Leopold Tenkeyless with Cherry Browns. Thanks glompix for the suggestion! Also thanks, One Swell Foop, for the Thinkpad suggestion but I don't really need a trackpad since I'll be using a mouse with the keyboard.

I found an Australian retailer selling for the same price as elitekeyboards.com, so hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week. Can't wait! :woop:

Risky
May 18, 2003

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because that was the default keys for a lot of the first FPS games that came out on the PC back in the day and it just stuck with most of us.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I've got a few days under my belt with my rosewill with reds and I really like it. If just feels good. I also like that you can see the red metal chassis underneath the keys.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Risky posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because that was the default keys for a lot of the first FPS games that came out on the PC back in the day and it just stuck with most of us.

Every time I've tried to shift to ESDF, I get annoyed and shift back. Too deep of muscle memory.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Phone posted:

For like 20 dollars more you can get something like a Choc Mini which can function as a real life keyboard as well.

This looks incredibly stupid and not at all like a good alternative to the Nostromo. The point of the game pad layouts is that you give your thumb something useful to do instead of hovering on space bar, like using a dpad on the Nostromo.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So did anyone order a Corsair keyboard and have it ship out? I canceled mine a while back when the date got pushed back and now I see it's out of stock, I wonder if any actually shipped.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Casao posted:

This looks incredibly stupid and not at all like a good alternative to the Nostromo. The point of the game pad layouts is that you give your thumb something useful to do instead of hovering on space bar, like using a dpad on the Nostromo.

I have a Logitech key/gamepad and I will never EVER be comfortable gaming on a keyboard again.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

So I decided to give Dvorak a try this weekend and have been practicing it a little each night. It's the weirdest sensation trying to bounce back and forth with Qwerty and completely missing keys that I normally have no problem with.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Dogen posted:

So did anyone order a Corsair keyboard and have it ship out? I canceled mine a while back when the date got pushed back and now I see it's out of stock, I wonder if any actually shipped.

I have one on order at Newegg, they're saying it'll ship out Friday. Have to wait and see if it actually makes it out this time.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

naptalan posted:

So I went ahead and bought a Leopold Tenkeyless with Cherry Browns. Thanks glompix for the suggestion! Also thanks, One Swell Foop, for the Thinkpad suggestion but I don't really need a trackpad since I'll be using a mouse with the keyboard.

I found an Australian retailer selling for the same price as elitekeyboards.com, so hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week. Can't wait! :woop:

Dont suppose you could share which retailer this was?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

devians posted:

Dont suppose you could share which retailer this was?

It would be pccasegear.com - they've built up a fairly decent selection of mechanical keyboards to choose from.

Also according to PCCG the new Corsair keyboards have been pushed back to the 23rd of December for us (a day or two ago it was the middle of November) so it'll probably be about the 14-15th of December they get released in the US.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm looking to buy a discontinued Logitech Y-SR34 keyboard to replace mine as it's starting to wear down (some keys seem to take a lot of effort or repeat presses to register). If I'm unable to find a NIB one for a price I'm willing to pay (I've got an offer out right now) what new options are there that are similar? Or should I consider going with a mechanical keyboard?

I mainly care about this keyboard for gaming purposes.

edit: Looks like I'll be replacing my keyboard with the same one.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 8, 2011

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003
Are there any mechanical switch keyboards with the tall delete key and home/end on top?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Leopold just got delivered this morning. This is the greatest thing I have ever typed on. Cherry Blue switches are amazing, and the noise they make is delightful.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Moey posted:

My Leopold just got delivered this morning. This is the greatest thing I have ever typed on. Cherry Blue switches are amazing, and the noise they make is delightful.

I think I'm going to get one soon with Browns
because I recently spilled a stout into my PLU, effectively breaking lots of switches

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Does anybody have any recommendations for a wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad or trackball or pointing stick?

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone have recommendations if I find cherry brown switches a little light to type on? I looked to see if I could find an inexpensive clear switched board but it seems like they're not that popular - the only one I found was made by deck and cost a cool $189.

I'm going to give this thing a few weeks and see if I adapt but I'm finding that I bottom out the keys a little too easily and it feels ... odd.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why not just go blue?

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just opened my Ducky Shine (cherry blues). I am in love. Can't believe I was typing on lovely scissor switches for so long. I'm sure I would have been just as happy with a $100 Rosewill or equivalent, but the backlighting is sexy. I'm happy.

They're pretty loving loud, but I love it. 140-170 wpm on blues sounds like a machine gun.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 9, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

o muerte posted:

Anyone have recommendations if I find cherry brown switches a little light to type on? I looked to see if I could find an inexpensive clear switched board but it seems like they're not that popular - the only one I found was made by deck and cost a cool $189.

I'm going to give this thing a few weeks and see if I adapt but I'm finding that I bottom out the keys a little too easily and it feels ... odd.

$110, new but highly rated brand (basically a new design by the guy who designed Filcos

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200reab

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

shrughes posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad or trackball or pointing stick?

Depends on your application. Is it for a PC or HTPC? If you just want to control an HTPC from your couch, and you have a smartphone or tablet, Logitech TouchMouse owns. It's much easier than having to put down your cheetos and get up to get the bottom half of a laptop.

My only complaint is that it can't send weird stuff like tab or esc. Is there an alternative smartphone mouse/kb that can do that?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

EvilMuppet posted:

I have a Logitech key/gamepad and I will never EVER be comfortable gaming on a keyboard again.

I bought one the other day, a Nostromo specifically. I'm not sure if the price is right, but it's really nice. It takes some time to adjust to, but it's def worth it for me. Can't wait to start SWTOR on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

Just received my new Leopold tenkeyless otaku with cherry reds. It's replacing a Filco tenkeyless with cherry browns that is going to work with me to replace a truly horrible Dell scissor-key board.

The Leopold is a fantastic board. I think the general build quality is just a hair better than the Filco; it's heavier and feels stabler. I particularly like the slightly higher quality plastic, and the groove for routing the cord to the side. The in-cap lights for lock keys is also nice. My home PC is primarily for games, so I decided to give the reds a try and I like them quite a bit.

The only downside is with the otaku part. I thought I was a pretty competent touch typist, but I must have been subliminally looking at the keys, because I'm having a rough time getting used to it. I suppose it will force me to become a real touch typer, but it's painful; I'm locked out of my work email account right now because I apparently can't type my password anymore.

• Locked thread