Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
So I asked before about how to move PDF's that land in my download folder and had great success with Automator (though it does bork-up from time to time). Does anyone know of a solution to unobfuscate the filenames? I'd like a solution that can either pull a title from the metadata or try and search for a title. I think I might be asking too much, though Mendeley Desktop does something similar -- I'd like something that works in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I did a dumb thing and bought a product (two, actually) that don't work with Lion due to them being PowerPC applications. What are the changes of an easy workaround or something coming out in the near future?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Seams posted:

I did a dumb thing and bought a product (two, actually) that don't work with Lion due to them being PowerPC applications. What are the changes of an easy workaround or something coming out in the near future?
Best bet is to set up a Snow Leopard virtual machine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What can you actually buy today that's still PowerPC only? Maybe some educational stuff, but what else?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Binary Badger posted:

What can you actually buy today that's still PowerPC only? Maybe some educational stuff, but what else?

Diablo 2 and the expansion pack. :sweatdrop:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm using this image I found online for my login picture:

It's pretty cool.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
VMWare Fusion 4.1.0 will run a System 10.6 Client VM. Any earlier/later version won't though (Server only) but I should think it would be easy to find the correct version mirrored to use with your key if you bought it.

Potentially a better option is running the Windows version on Crossover Games.

Either option has a free trial and I'd appreciate hearing how they work if you try it because this question comes up a lot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bob Morales posted:

I'm using this image I found online for my login picture:

It's pretty cool.

Throw in SimpleBeep as your alert sound while you're at it: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,5158300

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

carry on then posted:

Throw in SimpleBeep as your alert sound while you're at it: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,5158300

Toss in all of the old school sounds: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19079/mac-os-classic-sound-pack

Gimme Monkey and Clink Clank!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MacUpdate Holiday Promo Bundle is going on again.

• TechTool Pro is a full-featured utility program containing options for testing and repair, maintenance (including disk defragmentation), and data recovery.
  • IconBox is a helpful icon organizational tool for Macs. When the first version of IconBox was released 7 years ago, it was the first Icon Organizer for Mac OS X, allowing users to conveniently organize their collection of icons in an iPhoto-like way.
  • TotalFinder adds tabs, hotkeys, and other tweaks to the Mac OS X Finder in 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion.
  • Postbox is a new email app that helps you organize your work life and get stuff done. It has all the elegance and simplicity of Apple Mail, but with more power and flexibility to manage even the most demanding workloads.
  • FontPack Pro Master Collection is Macware's complete collection of every font designed by their SummitType font foundry.
  • Labels & Addresses is a home and office tool for printing all sorts of labels, envelopes, inventory labels and price tags.
  • Mac DVDRipper Pro can protect your DVDs from scratches, save your batteries by reading your movies from your hard disk, manage your collection with just a few clicks, time-shift your rental, backup your DVD collection and more.
  • Back in Focus is an application allowing to refocus blurry images. If you ever took a great photo only to find out it's slightly blurry, Back In Focus can help you get in back in focus.
  • Neverwinter Nights is a game where everything you do has a meaning... Rise from a peasant to a full-fledged hero as you defend the Realms against one of the greatest threats of the age!
  • Hear greatly improves audio quality in movies and music throughout all of your Mac OS X applications. With Hear, music is richer, movie sound and dialog is clearer and games will blow you out of your chair!
  • iClip is the premier multiple clipboard & scrapbook tool that enables you to keep a history of almost anything you copy, instead of only the last thing.
  • FoldersSynchronizer is a popular and useful utility that synchronizes and backs-up files, folders, disks and boot disks

Not as "must-have" as previous bundles, but a solid pack anyways. TotalFinder, IconBox and Mac DVD Ripper Pro are all things I've used or am using now, they're all great. If you needed any of these things, now would be a great time to buy.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 5, 2011

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
In Lion, is there a way to force Preview to always open PDFs in Single Page view? They always open in continuous scroll view, and I always have to change it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My main computer is an aging MacBook Pro 4,1 (early '08), 4GB of RAM. Recently I've been running into some problems - whenever I open my Pictures folder, the whole system just chugs almost to a halt. There's an audible harddrive sound, kind of a whining? The folder is only like 18GB.

Exacerbating this - I was going through iPhoto (whatever the most recent version is), and trying to go through some Events from this summer. But paging through photos, there were a few spots where if I tried to advance past, my hdd would start chugging and everything would beachball until iPhoto force closed.

It never did any of this before installing Lion in September, and I do remember some increased lagginess coinciding with that, even with a clean install. (I know that's unnecessary, but I do it any way.)

So is this just old hardware starting to show its age? Is my hard drive dying?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Checked to see if any useful error messages show up in Console? I'd lean towards drive issue of some sort, perhaps a bad block and/or corrupt file in the Pictures folder loving things up if not the whole drive just waiting to blow up. Done any drive checks?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

My main computer is an aging MacBook Pro 4,1 (early '08), 4GB of RAM. Recently I've been running into some problems - whenever I open my Pictures folder, the whole system just chugs almost to a halt. There's an audible harddrive sound, kind of a whining? The folder is only like 18GB.

Exacerbating this - I was going through iPhoto (whatever the most recent version is), and trying to go through some Events from this summer. But paging through photos, there were a few spots where if I tried to advance past, my hdd would start chugging and everything would beachball until iPhoto force closed.

It never did any of this before installing Lion in September, and I do remember some increased lagginess coinciding with that, even with a clean install. (I know that's unnecessary, but I do it any way.)

So is this just old hardware starting to show its age? Is my hard drive dying?

This sounds pretty abnormal. I would recommend doing a backup as soon as possible.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Simple question: what's the best VNC client? It doesn't matter if it costs money.

Bonus points if it's available on the Mac App Store.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The one built in to OSX has always worked well for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's a client built in? :stare:

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Yeah, it is called Screen Sharing located in:
code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/
It is basically Remote Desktop Light.

Full path:
code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen\ Sharing.app
E: I found a document that shows how to unlock some more features in it, have not tried it in 10.7 but did work in 10.6 http://www.macworld.com/article/131094/2007/12/screensharepower.html

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
In Finder, CMD + K, type vnc://1.2.3.4.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not regretting buying Remote Desktop on campus because it's awesome for its little micro management stuff, but this is basically the same VNC client that it uses, it seems. Very nice :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

CDOR Gemini posted:

This sounds pretty abnormal. I would recommend doing a backup as soon as possible.

Yeah, it actually just did it while trying to load a page in Chrome. I've been keeping regular Time Machine backups.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Martytoof posted:

Not regretting buying Remote Desktop on campus because it's awesome for its little micro management stuff, but this is basically the same VNC client that it uses, it seems. Very nice :)

I love ARD too, have been using it since Network Assistant. It really is VNC with some extra not so good extra security. I hate the way ARD works on a network level, our IDS goes bat poo poo when I fire the app up. It likes to ping sweep the subnets that your managed clients are on.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

The one built in to OSX has always worked well for me.

Occam's razor. Thanks.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
ARD's on-the-fly color reduction feature was my best friend when helping someone on a slow Internet connection. Bump the color to grayscale, and you're able to see what's going on without waiting for screen redraw.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

As a tip for using the built-in OSX screen sharing app:

Once you've used it once and set up login preferences, etc. OSX saves a .vncloc file in your home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/Screen Sharing/. It's saved by IP address (or at least what I have is). To quickly open the client and automatically connect, just open that file.

I've set up an Automator program to wake up my TV computer then open the .vncloc file to connect quickly and easily.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

maduin posted:

Occam's razor. Thanks.

I use this, but with ScreenSharing Menulet to keep my commonly-used computers easy to access.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

dabre_aiamim posted:

I use this, but with ScreenSharing Menulet to keep my commonly-used computers easy to access.

See my post above.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Does anyone know what exactly iTunes does to your MP3s when you put them in its library? Is there a way to undo these changes, whatever they are?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I've switched my Apple ID country from Canada to the US (mainly so I can use iTunes Match - which is really great for anyone out there considering it). My iOS apps have remained associated with this account, but it looks like my Mac App Store purchases can't be redownloaded onto a new machine. Surely there's a workaround for this? Why the inconsistency in behaviour between App Stores?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you discount your app by 94% under any circumstances, maybe you're charging too much for it. Just a thought.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

The Finder Connect to Server dialog also has a little Favorite Servers thing in it, in case anyone missed it. (I hadn't seen it until now...)

You can also open one of the vnc:// URLs from the command line with 'open'. So opening a connection could be as simple as:

wakeonlan 12:34:56:78:ab:cd
open vnc://foo.local

(wakeonlan installed via homebrew)

headfake fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 6, 2011

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

HondaCivet posted:

Does anyone know what exactly iTunes does to your MP3s when you put them in its library? Is there a way to undo these changes, whatever they are?

iTunes doesn't do anything other than put the song into a proper folder if you let it manage your library. What are you referring to?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bonzaisushi posted:

iTunes doesn't do anything other than put the song into a proper folder if you let it manage your library. What are you referring to?

It also changes the filename to "## SONG TITLE.mp3", where the ## is the track number. And that's of course in /ARTISTNAME/ALBUMNAME/ folders in the library's music folder location, unless you mark the songs as "in a compilation", then they're all in /Compilations/ALBUMNAM/ instead for all those artists.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If the song is ID3 tagged and both "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" are checked in iTunes Preferences > Advanced.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Hey guys.

I'm trying to develop some cross platform library that uses OpenGL and wanted to use my old Macbook Pro to test on them, but I want to seamlessly switch to and fro from my development machine via VNC I guess. I'm just learning that most VNC software either don't output OpenGL applications at all or just set them to software mode. I see stuff like VirtualGL and TurboVNC but I don't know if the whole OpenGL server thing is supported on Mac OS X.

I suppose I could use the X server but I want to see the MBP produce the OpenGL renderings, not my machine. Is VNC still viable or should I just look for some KVM? Are there any KVMs that take HDMI inputs/output?

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Looking for some kind of video database software. I need to make a casting database full of actors. I'd like to be able to sort by name, each name would have different h264 videos attached to it and be able to tag and search with metadata. Any ideas?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ShinAli posted:

Hey guys.

I'm trying to develop some cross platform library that uses OpenGL and wanted to use my old Macbook Pro to test on them, but I want to seamlessly switch to and fro from my development machine via VNC I guess. I'm just learning that most VNC software either don't output OpenGL applications at all or just set them to software mode. I see stuff like VirtualGL and TurboVNC but I don't know if the whole OpenGL server thing is supported on Mac OS X.

I suppose I could use the X server but I want to see the MBP produce the OpenGL renderings, not my machine. Is VNC still viable or should I just look for some KVM? Are there any KVMs that take HDMI inputs/output?

VNC is just going to copy bitmaps over the network. On a gigabit link I'd expect you could get a resasonble resolution and framerate for testing purposes.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Quick question. Let's say I broke up with my girlfriend (I did) and I want to get pictures of us out of my iPhoto library, but not delete them forever (I do).

Is there an easy way to do that, or does removing an image from the library destroy it?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Drag the photos to something in Finder, then delete the photos and empty iPhoto's trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

wolffenstein posted:

Drag the photos to something in Finder, then delete the photos and empty iPhoto's trash.

That's so easy even I could do it! Thanks.