Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Phenotype posted:

A person can be raised in a multi-racial neighborhood, have friends of every color and sexuality growing up and throughout his life, and yet be a loving idiot because he thinks publicly dressing up like something you're not is a little silly?

gently caress off.

Phenotype posted:

Guess what? Life isn't always what you want it to be. I wish I was a foot taller, but I'm not wearing stilts and expecting everyone to treat me like a normal tall guy. I have no problems with anyone's personal or sexual preferences, and if someone wants to go whole-hog and get the surgery, I couldn't give a poo poo. I just think it's selfish, indulgent, and unrealistic to dress up like the opposite gender and expect other people to treat you normally.

And I'm not just saying "I know minorities," I'm saying that I make friends and deal with people on a daily basis irrespective of their race or sexuality, and goddamn if racism/sexism wouldn't be a problem if everyone was at least as tolerant as I am.

Protip: The 'I'm not racist because I have friends that are black!' excuse never worked and yours isn't either. :v:

And the opinion you show about how a transgendered person dresses and how they should be treated says a lot about your :airquote:tolerance:airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
Quick question: I'm using Ryu and Nemesis right now but can't really settle on a good 3rd character. Any thoughts?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

apophenium posted:

It's Spooky, it'll be up again in a matter of seconds.

Haha yeah.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

fenix424 posted:

Quick question: I'm using Ryu and Nemesis right now but can't really settle on a good 3rd character. Any thoughts?

Wesker :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fenix424 posted:

Sent or Frank.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

fenix424 posted:

A wise man who I can vouch for once said:

Cinroth posted:

For every question of "who should be the third member of my rad team" the answer is always Doom.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cinroth posted:

For every question of "who should be the third member of my rad team" the answer is always Doom.

How do you build teams without Plasma Beam, anyway? I feel like my team construction is always very limited because I always want Sentinel, Doom, or Hawkeye Triple Arrows in my third slot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Phenotype posted:

How do you build teams without Plasma Beam, anyway? I feel like my team construction is always very limited because I always want Sentinel, Doom, or Hawkeye Triple Arrows in my third slot.

Hidden Missiles or Molecular Shield

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Sometimes you put them in the second slot so you can have Dark Wesker!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I don't know how the discussion in this thread shifted to debate over transgendered issues, but this is NOT the place for it. There are threads elsewhere.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
PR Balrog showing off that Spencer.

Phenotype posted:

Frank West for Shopping Cart.

Depends on your other characters though. Some characters are mobile enough that don't need the help of a projectile assist as much as less mobile characters.
edit see: PR Balrog playing Spencer/Wolverine/Wesker

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 3, 2011

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Who are the top three hardest characters to learn, and the top three most easy to master?

Take Ace out of that list, I already know he's number one on difficulty.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
That's a tough question, actually.

Easiest, I would say Wolverine, Wesker, and Captain America, I guess?

Hardest would probably be C. Viper, Spider-Man, and Rocket Raccoon.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Interesting amount of James Chen/Ultradavid hate. I've always enjoyed their commenting, so I'm curious as to what you guys don't like about them.

Also Skisonic is totally S tier. So are Chen and Ultradavid in my book. :colbert:

Chen is better than Ultradavid because he has the advantage of living with Justin Wong but aside from that they're pretty dull during downtime, not particularly insightful during matches and their voices are monotonous. Like other people have said either of them is much much better when paired with a different commentator because they have similar weaknesses on the mic.

I'm surprised there are people who don't agree that Seth Killian is the best on the mic hands-down, he's a really smooth talker, knows both the players and the games and can still get as hype as anybody. It's a shame Capcom doesn't ship him out to more tournaments to let him commentate top 8s, I think he's at least as good for Capcom FGs are Day[9] et al are for SC2.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Cinroth posted:

A wise man who I can vouch for once said:

He's wrong though. The answer is obviously Sentinel :roboluv:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

InnercityGriot posted:

According to the guide Chun-li is supposed to be the most technical character in the game this time around.

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

You really ought to lock that down

InnercityGriot posted:

I don't play him but I wouldn't call Cap one of the easiest characters, I think some of his stuff is supposed to be quite spacing sensitive like his shield slash combos. He's not Viper but putting him on the level of Wolverine and Wesker seems a little unfair.

Personally I think it depends on your definition of "easy" - Hulk's execution is very easy and his super armor helps him land hits, but I wouldn't say he's an especially easy character because he struggles so much to get in on a lot of the cast that doing well with him is tough and requires a bit of luck or some good reads.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Alukard showing off some impressive Jill tech on Spooky's NEC stream. Lots of overheads popping out of nowhere.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)
Who do you think could fit into a team of Strider and Firebrand? I see people use Sentinel with Firebrand, but I'm not feeling Sent (I keep leaving myself opened, and Sentinel's screwed when he takes a combo). I thought about Vergil, and just go with a "Glass cannon, screw it all team," hoping my assists will add pressure when I get in there. I also though about Frank and just recently Morrigan thanks to some matches with Altiesen.

Arthur Seems to click with Doom.

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 3, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
It depends on whether you want a lockdown for Firebrand (Frank) or more meter for Strider (Morrigan).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Crusher posted:

I still use Iron Man despite my better judgement! Can anyone tell me what good options he has for getting in? I'm jealous of storm/mag/doom tri jumps now, and I feel like I can't play IM at all because of his crappy air dashes. Is there anything he has going for him or should I just bite the bullet like I did El Fuerte and move along?

There isn't anything at all wrong with Iron Man. If anything he's overall just a lot better. You will either need to be careful with your air dashes or use assists to cover your way in however, as airdashes just aren't as safe as they used to be. Iron Man's down air dash (you super jump strait up or up foward and then air dash down) is still very solid for mixup, and fly canceling ground normals is even better than it used to be.

Iron Man's damage output is up fairly significantly. Midscreen brain dead stupid easy combos will do 650k, and I've got a corner combo that does 750k, but I've yet to really experiment with more advanced mid screen stuff.

Oh yeah, one last thing, Keep in mind that Iron Man can air dash cancel his jS on hit or block.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 3, 2011

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

NecroMonster posted:

There isn't anything at all wrong with Iron Man. If anything he's overall just a lot better. You will either need to be careful with your air dashes or use assists to cover your way in however, as airdashes just aren't as safe as they used to be. Iron Man's down air dash (you super jump strait up or up foward and then air dash down) is still very solid for mixup, and fly canceling ground normals is even better than it used to be.

Iron Man's damage output is up fairly significantly. Midscreen brain dead stupid easy combos will do 650k, and I've got a corner combo that does 750k, but I've yet to really experiment with more advanced mid screen stuff.

Oh yeah, one last thing, Keep in mind that Iron Man can air dash cancel his jS on hit or block.

Hmm I guess I will have to experiment a bit more with him. I know his damage is superb now, espcially with being able to OTG relaunch with L smartbombs, cr.m, S without the need of an assist. I had no idea about the jS air dash cancel, though. I'm definitely going to give him some more time.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004
Masta cj blowin up everybody including jwong.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
^^ Is he still running Frank/Dormammu/Wesker?

I'm thinking of running Nova/Frank/Spencer because it seems like a super ridiculously strong team, but it has neither Wesker nor Doom on it. :ohdear:

I sort of like Combofiend's "troll team" of Ghost Rider/Sentinel/Hawkeye, but I feel like it's not a real troll team unless Arthur anchors it.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
All we saw him use was Dorm.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

^^ Is he still running Frank/Dormammu/Wesker?

I'm thinking of running Nova/Frank/Spencer because it seems like a super ridiculously strong team, but it has neither Wesker nor Doom on it. :ohdear:

I sort of like Combofiend's "troll team" of Ghost Rider/Sentinel/Hawkeye, but I feel like it's not a real troll team unless Arthur anchors it.

dorm/mags/wesker

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Any MODOK players here with a lot of experience?

I was a big fan of MvC2, but I only picked up this third installment about two weeks ago. I think I have a fair handle on MODOK as my point fighter, but I'm not sure about who to use for assists.

Right now I have Frank West with the shopping cart, which is pretty amazing, and Taskmaster with horizontal Aim Master to get full-screen coverage in a hurry. I'd tried him with Vertical Shot for anti-air coverage, but I found it a little too slow and not very effective in helping MODOK move forward.

I know Sentinel, Dr. Doom, and Haggar are usually preferred above either of those two for MODOK, but I'd like to try something different. Are Frank and Task viable alternatives, do you think?

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Any MODOK players here with a lot of experience?

I was a big fan of MvC2, but I only picked up this third installment about two weeks ago. I think I have a fair handle on MODOK as my point fighter, but I'm not sure about who to use for assists.

Right now I have Frank West with the shopping cart, which is pretty amazing, and Taskmaster with horizontal Aim Master to get full-screen coverage in a hurry. I'd tried him with Vertical Shot for anti-air coverage, but I found it a little too slow and not very effective in helping MODOK move forward.

I know Sentinel, Dr. Doom, and Haggar are usually preferred above either of those two for MODOK, but I'd like to try something different. Are Frank and Task viable alternatives, do you think?

Yes, but who for anchor?

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Looks like the old berserker slash is alive and well in Vergil's rapid slash lol

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

GoodCleanFun posted:

Yes, but who for anchor?

I had Frank. Leveling up his attacks takes some time and seems to be an ideal thing for him to do during aerial crossovers, and it's easy for him to dish out serious pain with X-Factor if he's the last guy standing.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem
I think frank is much better when you build a team around him when he is on point. He is a beast at Lv 4 but as a dedicated assist he usually doesn't get the chance to level up and therefore sucks as an anchor.

VVVVVVV Not sure what you mean but what I'm comparing is the ability to block on reaction since you
have to change directions when he quickly passes through you and he can make the attempt safe by spending meter.

AntifaSupersoldier fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 3, 2011

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

The_Cack posted:

Looks like the old berserker slash is alive and well in Vergil's rapid slash lol

Does it ever not hit on the other side?

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

The_Cack posted:

I think frank is much better when you build a team around him when he is on point. He is a beast at Lv 4 but as a dedicated assist he usually doesn't get the chance to level up and therefore sucks as an anchor.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone build a frank team designed to get him to level 4/5 via some sort of DHC or mid-combo tag then abuse assist and have level 4/5 frank on anchor. Would that maybe be a sort of "optimal" way to use frank?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
That was one of my quiet nagging worries. Frank's assist is one of the best I've seen at getting people to move to the opposite side of the screen, but leveling him up without assists is a difficult prospect.

Perhaps Taskmaster should be the anchor. Or perhaps putting those three on a team is a half-baked idea.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

duffath posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone build a frank team designed to get him to level 4/5 via some sort of DHC or mid-combo tag then abuse assist and have level 4/5 frank on anchor. Would that maybe be a sort of "optimal" way to use frank?

Probably too difficult to get that setup.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

That was one of my quiet nagging worries. Frank's assist is one of the best I've seen at getting people to move to the opposite side of the screen, but leveling him up without assists is a difficult prospect.

Perhaps Taskmaster should be the anchor. Or perhaps putting those three on a team is a half-baked idea.

Taskmaster doesn't have the greatest mixups...unless that's change since vanilla.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

The_Cack posted:

VVVVVVV Not sure what you mean but what I'm comparing is the ability to block on reaction since you
have to change directions when he quickly passes through you and he can make the attempt safe by spending meter.

I think he means Wolvie's slash could change crossing up into not crossing up depending on spacing and the version of the move used. It wasn't "can I block a cross up fast enough, but it's a cross up every time" it was "can I GUESS if it's a cross up OR NOT," for vanilla Wolverine. Also it had some invincibility.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah taskmaster is a great character, but not so much as an anchor.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem

Countblanc posted:

Yeah taskmaster is a great character, but not so much as an anchor.
Yeah he is much better in the second spot on a team since his DHCs fit anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
I ran Task/MODAM/Skrull in vanilla, and Skrull is a really good anchor. His assists are so-so, but Orbital Grudge does okay with getting people off, and if you don't train them to punish it Tenderizer can be an okay assist to keep them back, too.

• Locked thread