Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

swagger like us posted:

I got the best call of my life the other day. So my scheduled surgery for September 2012 got bumped up to, guess what, tomorrow! Someone dropped out of their spot so I'm in!

6-7 months from now I'll be training BJJ again and Im so loving stoked! Thanks to everyone for their advice and words of encouragement, this last 10 months or so of injury has sucked harsh.

Good poo poo. From your custom title I'm guessing it's your shoulder. The surgery is cake walk. The month of being in a sling not so much. The 2 months of physical therapy eh just do it and do it as best you can. I'm back at 100% after 3 months to the day actually. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

KidDynamite posted:

Good poo poo. From your custom title I'm guessing it's your shoulder. The surgery is cake walk. The month of being in a sling not so much. The 2 months of physical therapy eh just do it and do it as best you can. I'm back at 100% after 3 months to the day actually. Good luck!

It is my shoulder, unfortunately my red title has nothing to do with my injury and is kind of an odd coincidence, haha. Thanks man

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Nierbo posted:

I'm considering quitting judo all together now.

You talk about assessing your judo growth and finding yourself lacking, but then everything you wrote was just comparing your ability to throw to that of other students in your class. Isn't there more to judo than that? Are you sure you're looking at the right things when you try to see how you've grown?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ridleys Revenge posted:

You talk about assessing your judo growth and finding yourself lacking, but then everything you wrote was just comparing your ability to throw to that of other students in your class. Isn't there more to judo than that? Are you sure you're looking at the right things when you try to see how you've grown?

I hadn't replied to the post yet, but I agree. Especially as a "new guy" you don't know how much you've progressed until another set of white belts show up and you can see your progress compared to a real beginner. It's something I have to remind people all the time after 2-3 months of Judo when they feel like they haven't made any progress.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I was sarcastic earlier so here is a real answer:

Who gives a poo poo about "progress"? There's no endgame, you will never reach a point where you are done. I don't know why, but people have trouble understanding that this is a lifelong thing. Stop comparing yourself to everyone else, stop worrying about how much better you're getting and how fast. Just show up, train hard and enjoy it.

Or quit. Most people quit, some have good reasons, some realize its not for them, a lot just can't take it.

6 months after I got my blue belt, I told my instructor I felt like I was going backwards and getting worse. He told me:

You feel like you're moving backwards, but I watch you and every day you are getting better. In fact, I think you're progressing faster than before. You feel like you're getting worse because you are finally able to see some of the flaws that were always there. You see them, you fix them and you learn.

You need to kill that "woah is me, this is hard I suck" crap right now, its poison for your life.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nierbo, all your posts made it seem like you were super passionate and excited about Judo. Don't let your perceived lack of success get you down! Judo is hard, even for people who have been doing it for a long time. Like Xguard said, most people quit because they feel like its too hard, but based on your posts I don't think you're that guy.

There will always be people better than you at what you do, even the perceived best in the world. If you let the criteria that there are people better than you stop you from pursuing goals, then you will never get anywhere. The silly old Korean man who introduced me to Judo put it best. After you lose, get up, shake your opponents hand, and say 'thank you for beating me, tomorrow I will work twice as hard'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVXiG6oy5eo

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Heya thread, I'm thinking about starting martial arts a couple times a week, pretty equally for the purposes of staying in shape, self defense, and having a hobby/activity. I started weightlifting about two months back and will continue that, and I also run about 15 miles per week (and have done so forever, distance runner).

Anyhow, I'm fortunate enough to live in a big city (LA) and have lots of options to choose from.

This place would be particularly convenient, it seems small(ish) and friendly, the location is great, and unless I'm completely overlooking something it'd be very inexpensive ($30/mo). I'd really appreciate any suggestions on gyms/dojos to check out in my area as well as any advice on how the quality of this place looks:

http://www.hollywoodjudo.com/

I don't know anything about Hollywood Judo or about your budget, but I have to recommend my school - Cobrinha BJJ to you.

In addition to being one of the best BJJ competitors ever, Cobrinha(and our other instructor Fabio Passos) are incredible coaches. Really friendly, detailed in there teaching, and really good about answering your questions and making sure your doing the techniques properly. All the students are friendly, and the schools young so while some of the classes are huge, many of the classes(especially the beginner ones) are small enough that you'll get a ton of personal attention.

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 3, 2011

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.
Just had my first (muay thai) class after 6 months of rehab following an acl repair. My surgeon OKed me for doing just normal boxing(no kicking) so I went in to do some rounds tonight, fridays are non-instruction classes so it was three 4 minute rounds of striking with a partner holding pads and then ab work. It went real well, my legs are a little sore, but it felt like I almost hadn't been gone at all. Can't wait to get back to BJJ in a few more months. Injuries suck.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Xguard86 posted:

I was sarcastic earlier so here is a real answer:

Who gives a poo poo about "progress"? There's no endgame, you will never reach a point where you are done. I don't know why, but people have trouble understanding that this is a lifelong thing. Stop comparing yourself to everyone else, stop worrying about how much better you're getting and how fast. Just show up, train hard and enjoy it.

Or quit. Most people quit, some have good reasons, some realize its not for them, a lot just can't take it.

6 months after I got my blue belt, I told my instructor I felt like I was going backwards and getting worse. He told me:

You feel like you're moving backwards, but I watch you and every day you are getting better. In fact, I think you're progressing faster than before. You feel like you're getting worse because you are finally able to see some of the flaws that were always there. You see them, you fix them and you learn.

You need to kill that "woah is me, this is hard I suck" crap right now, its poison for your life.

Seriously. I hit a point where I was feeling the same way about HEMA, that I was never getting any fitter and I wasn't getting better at swordfighting, blah blah blah. The thing is I was sparring with the same opponents always, and they were intimately familiar with my style and any weaknesses in it, and were exploiting them relentlessly. I went to a different chapter of my school and sparred some different people and suddenly I could play defensively all night without anyone getting through, I could put the pressure on whenever I wanted and I never felt like I was out of my league like I was every night sparring the same people. This week I did my longest and most intense sparring session ever and wasn't even out of breath - I used to get exhausted doing slow pseudo-sparring where we only did one attack and one defense.
It's worth noting that, while you're progressing in your judo game, so are all those blue belts you're sparring with. It's easy to feel like you're not progressing when you're simply progressing at a similar rate to the people who are better than you, but the fact is you are getting better and it will show when you start doing randori with people closer to your own skill.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
gently caress me. This is a whine-post: I got the FLASH FLU. It's a flu-type condition in which you go to sleep feeling awesome, wake up and start to machinegun sneeze and your nose drips liters of goop for the whole day. You feel feverish, look pale, cancel all your classes and take a day off from work, sure you will be out of the game for days - or a week.

The next morning you wake up and feel awesome again! :v: I'll take another day off just to be sure and go sparring tomorrow at earliest but that had to be the fastest "flu" I've ever gone through.

Also this post was completely meaningless, added no value to the thread, and is of no interest to anyone at all, but my gf isn't here so I had to share it with someone. It happened to be you guys. Thanks bye.

edit: Actually I had occasion to think about something thread and topic oriented after all. How do the instructor oriented or just experienced striker people on this thread teach the loving UPPERCUT to new people, or practitioners whose uppercut sucks rear end (which isn't a rare occurrence by any means)? From my experience just boxing, albeit limited, slipping straight punches and the uppercut seem to be the Most loving Difficult Things Ever to teach properly so they "get" it.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 3, 2011

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Any of you BJJ guys have an opinion on Robinson Moura's Nova Uniao branch versus Mario Aiello's branch? Moura's, based on the class I visited, seems to be much more traditional BJJ. Just straight grappling, very little with regards to take downs or no gi. The guy affiliated with Mario Aiello focus more on no gi, submission wrestling, and judo. Just trying to decide which to jump into, wanted to know if anyone had experiences with either group?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

edit: Actually I had occasion to think about something thread and topic oriented after all. How do the instructor oriented or just experienced striker people on this thread teach the loving UPPERCUT to new people, or practitioners whose uppercut sucks rear end (which isn't a rare occurrence by any means)? From my experience just boxing, albeit limited, slipping straight punches and the uppercut seem to be the Most loving Difficult Things Ever to teach properly so they "get" it.

my uppercuts still suck, but most of my instructors are always focusing on straight punches whereas one guy always does drills working the uppercuts into a combination. the drill is more about being fluid with a combo than the uppercuts themselves, but it's the only real work on the uppercuts i've seen so far.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Nierbo, just a little insight from a two stripe White belt in BJJ, similar boat as you. For awhile I felt no progress whatsoever, I was always getting beat, and my victories consisted of how long I managed to survive against other guys. However, I'd have been training around 5 months and hadn't competed yet and I just thought I sucked. I then checked out another BJJ place in my town which were full of white belts. After rolling with them, I was schooling them left and right and boy was I feeling good. Hell, it felt so good I considered switching schools just so I could be top dog. I soon realized though the reason I had been sucking is because my school and the quality of BJJ guys and instructors was just higher, and I actually was getting a lot of progress in but just didnt realize.

Don't beat yourself up too bad, little do you know you are learning. My two cents.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

The upper is developed by rotation. You really don't have to move your arm much to throw an upper but you need to move your whole body with the punch more so than any other. The best way I could describe it to someone new is to try to make a J with your fist using your body movement then drive the punch up to finish a U. Basically you don't move your arms until you're about to drive straight up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Mewse is right -- beginners will start dreaming of landing a naked uppercut from a distance. That's really hard to pull off. It's important to find some setups for your uppercut so that you can throw it from a tactically safe position. Like their guard is fully up and expecting a high level punch. For drilling, I'd probably have people do 1-2, slip to outside, lead uppercut to body. The partner can have their glove waiting for the punch. Make sure they set up at the right distance for the upper -- not too far (arm punching for reach) and not too close (getting jammed up).

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I like to commonly use two combos when I'm holding pads for newer people.

1. Throw a body shot to their side (making them drop their shoulder to block), and then have them return with an uppercut right after. Kalib Starnes showed us this combo at one of his seminars. Block body shot (say, right side), (right) uppercut, (left) hook, (right) cross. Which sides used/thrown can be altered, but the pattern is specific to body mechanics. It's a good combo to teach because it gets away from monotonous drilling of the same setups and robotic attacks. You defend on one side, and then recognize that your opponent has an opening to be exploited on that same side.

2. 6-beat. Jab, cross, uppercut, cross, jab, uppercut. Always alternating hands. You get a good rhythm going, and encourage the athlete to really shift their weight properly from each foot into the uppercuts.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Mewse is right -- beginners will start dreaming of landing a naked uppercut from a distance. That's really hard to pull off. It's important to find some setups for your uppercut so that you can throw it from a tactically safe position. Like their guard is fully up and expecting a high level punch. For drilling, I'd probably have people do 1-2, slip to outside, lead uppercut to body. The partner can have their glove waiting for the punch. Make sure they set up at the right distance for the upper -- not too far (arm punching for reach) and not too close (getting jammed up).

This is pretty good. You could also train mexican style 1-2-upper they hardly ever throw a 1-2-3. I mostly use my upper like Toney as a counter.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Dude Nierbo, smoke a bowl or drink a beer or unwind somehow, do something meditative and consider it further and I'd bet you will figure out some other way to deal without quitting Judo altogether.

Find a new gym maybe? I dunno man it seems like a drastic step to stop training altogether. Judo is sweet.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 4, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Time for the third day of TJJ training camp. I've been positively surprised by the lack of weaponry so far. Yesterday we did a tiny bit of bokken, bo and nunchucks stuff, but that was mostly for show. And my instructor made a nunchuck out of a piece of rope and knife, and it was terrifying. Terrifying in a "oh god don't kill yourself"- kind of way.

But holy poo poo, 4 hours in one sitting of throws, drills and rolling has a way of taking the pep out of you. My thunder thighs hurt in ways I'm sure they're not supposed to. And it's time to do it all over again today :V

I love waking up at 08 on a Sunday morning just so that I can get the opportunity to voluntarily inflict pain on myself.

Other than that, it's been pretty fun.
The sensei surprised me by saying that he apparently used to show videos of my fights to people at his club, to encourage them to compete and such, because apparently I'm a positively average human being, and the proof that any nerd can become a fighter with enough training time. Average is what I aspire to in all things, so I'll take it as a compliment.
Also he wants me to start competing again.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 4, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Any good basic ressource for GI BJJ online? Most of the stuff I'm finding on youtube is for no-gi and I don't really care about that. While I can adapt it to gi grappling, I'd prefer to have someone who's great show me how they do it with a gi.

My groundwork is currently reaching a point where I'm bored with it. I'm always doing the same things and while it works fine people are starting to get a clue and the best guys are starting to see me coming from mile away. I'm trying to find some new sweeps mainly because I'm pretty much only doing the scissors sweep at this point.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Oh god it aches on top of my aches

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

Any good basic ressource for GI BJJ online? Most of the stuff I'm finding on youtube is for no-gi and I don't really care about that. While I can adapt it to gi grappling, I'd prefer to have someone who's great show me how they do it with a gi.

My groundwork is currently reaching a point where I'm bored with it. I'm always doing the same things and while it works fine people are starting to get a clue and the best guys are starting to see me coming from mile away. I'm trying to find some new sweeps mainly because I'm pretty much only doing the scissors sweep at this point.

I don't mean to be an rear end, but search "bjj gi" in youtube....there's a huge number of bjj videos in the gi. I refuse to believe you're only finding no gi for the most part.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

my uppercuts still suck, but most of my instructors are always focusing on straight punches whereas one guy always does drills working the uppercuts into a combination. the drill is more about being fluid with a combo than the uppercuts themselves, but it's the only real work on the uppercuts i've seen so far.

I've noticed uppercuts are trained often or almost exclusively like that at least where I train, as a part of a combination (this is good but...). An uppercut will never or almost never work unless it's chained with something (which can deter learning the punch at first though!). Straights and crosses and hooks are trained as is. Add to that, uppercuts are more or less impossible to hit and train on a regular heavy bag IMO, which has been hinted at on this page. It took me years to learn even a lovely uppercut and it's still pretty bad. Like, you could or should at least teach it some point as single strike to help people figure out the exact mechanic without trying to solve the other parts of the combination.

As an example when people are utterly baffled I ask them to pretend being superman who takes flight. (Go ahead and laugh, everyone.) Drop their weight but not their hands, relax their shoulders and explode up with the uppercut so high it hits the roof if they can reach it.

It's a huge exaggeration of the movement but that's the point, when they shorten it to about the forehead of the target it starts to click.

KidDynamite posted:

The upper is developed by rotation. You really don't have to move your arm much to throw an upper but you need to move your whole body with the punch more so than any other. The best way I could describe it to someone new is to try to make a J with your fist using your body movement then drive the punch up to finish a U. Basically you don't move your arms until you're about to drive straight up.

Yes! Right now I try to teach it so and throw it myself that you drop or shift your body weight down, from the knees too, holding your arms in place in a good guard and then come up extending the uppercut arm from the solar plexus to the forehead of your "friend" or who ever you are trying to punch.

It's tough as hell not to have people "arm" their hand so they drop it below the waistline or something and swing it up like an arm punch.

You don't need to which is the most difficult thing to get across IMO. If you throw your uppercut with shoulders and arm relaxed, explode with your legs and waist rotation, it'll knock the mouth-loving-guard right into orbit from the face of your sparring partner if it hits. The rotation makes the magic but for me is well nigh impossible to explain and get across. These guys who use rotation well when punching straights or hooks do it automatically but as for the others... Uhhh.

kimbo305 posted:

Mewse is right -- beginners will start dreaming of landing a naked uppercut from a distance. Make sure they set up at the right distance for the upper -- not too far (arm punching for reach) and not too close (getting jammed up).

When learning the uppercut I tried to attack with it hundreds of times, hahaha. That sure sucked.

But hey kimbo305, what's the proper distance you think for the uppercut? There's several ways to throw it IMO, but it can work pretty well from almost clinch range when you just whip your hips and explode a relaxed arm from the inside after a combination which makes your pal over there cover up.

Good tips, all of you guys.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 5, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nigulus Rex posted:

I don't mean to be an rear end, but search "bjj gi" in youtube....there's a huge number of bjj videos in the gi. I refuse to believe you're only finding no gi for the most part.

You're not being an rear end at all it's ok. Looking for bjj gi without quotes gives me mainly bjj no-gi stuff and "bjj gi" will give you comp videos and gi reviews.

And yeah I'm able to find some bjj gi videos on youtube, I don't know how good they are. For example I've heard a bunch of bad things about submission101 videos but I wouldn't be able to know if any video is crap or not by myself.

Which is why I'm asking if there's a website people like because it has good instruction. A specific youtube channel that is particularly good would be great too.

Also, any DVD that would be good and ideally also spends some times on the basic would be good too.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

KingColliwog posted:

You're not being an rear end at all it's ok. Looking for bjj gi without quotes gives me mainly bjj no-gi stuff and "bjj gi" will give you comp videos and gi reviews.

And yeah I'm able to find some bjj gi videos on youtube, I don't know how good they are. For example I've heard a bunch of bad things about submission101 videos but I wouldn't be able to know if any video is crap or not by myself.

Which is why I'm asking if there's a website people like because it has good instruction. A specific youtube channel that is particularly good would be great too.

Also, any DVD that would be good and ideally also spends some times on the basic would be good too.

Stephen Kesting's youtube channel. He also has a website and newsletter that are decent.

I've heard excellent things about Roy Dean's dvds. (Particularly the white belt and blue belt ones.)

These guys have some good stuff too.

What exactly did you want to work on? Drills? Grip fighting? Learning the basic techniques?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Senor P. posted:

Stephen Kesting's youtube channel. He also has a website and newsletter that are decent.

I've heard excellent things about Roy Dean's dvds. (Particularly the white belt and blue belt ones.)

These guys have some good stuff too.

What exactly did you want to work on? Drills? Grip fighting? Learning the basic techniques?

basics mostly since I suck at BJJ. I'm particularly interested in sweeps and subs from guard since I really like to play guard.

Looking at kesting's youtube channel and will look in getting the roy dean's dvds

--

edit : just bought Blue Belt requirements since white belt bible doesn't seem to be what I am looking for from the review. Will post a review after.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 5, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You'll find that most of what works in gi works in no-gi, and most of what works in no-gi works in gi. There are collar chokes and things which don't count towards this, but the two aren't as different as you think they are.

When you've been at it for a year or two you'll start to notice differences between the two, and sometimes you'll want to make a slight variation for a particular sub depending on if it's gi or no-gi, but it's slight, and at the stage you're at now you won't need to worry about it.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Love him or hate him, this is Ari's latest video from Sub101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diDU7VJ2kxw&feature=channel_video_title

It also happens to be the technique we drilled on Saturday afternoon class, and I've gotta say that it's pretty slick/fun.

Enter the Guillotine/Ninja Choke.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Senor P. posted:

Started youtubing Dean's stuff after reading this and came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXqnPsBfKU&feature=relmfu

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

basics mostly since I suck at BJJ. I'm particularly interested in sweeps and subs from guard since I really like to play guard.

Looking at kesting's youtube channel and will look in getting the roy dean's dvds

--

edit : just bought Blue Belt requirements since white belt bible doesn't seem to be what I am looking for from the review. Will post a review after.

Roy Dean's dvds are solid, you'll get a lot out of them. As other people mentioned Kestings stuff is really good. But the best dvd series I can recommend to a beginner is Saulo's first dvd set(Jiu Jitsu Revolution) and his book(Jiu Jitsu University), there's not a lot of flashy stuff but you'll learn solid fundamentals and be exposed to many of the underlying principals of Jiu Jitsu.

I suspect the best way to use youtube is to search for specific techniques or positions instead of just searching for BJJ. Additionally here are some good youtube channels with good instruction on a variety of positions

http://www.youtube.com/user/bjjweekly
http://www.youtube.com/user/robinhomourajj
http://www.youtube.com/user/GracieAcademy
http://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
http://www.youtube.com/user/ralphgracie

Also - stay away from submissions 101

edit: I forgot to mention them but Straight Blast Gym also puts out solid DVDs as well

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 5, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You'll find that most of what works in gi works in no-gi, and most of what works in no-gi works in gi. There are collar chokes and things which don't count towards this, but the two aren't as different as you think they are.

When you've been at it for a year or two you'll start to notice differences between the two, and sometimes you'll want to make a slight variation for a particular sub depending on if it's gi or no-gi, but it's slight, and at the stage you're at now you won't need to worry about it.

I understand what you're saying and coming from a judo background, I've been able to handle myself ok for a first timer in no-gi sparring since like you said overall it's the same thing/same principles apply. But I often have trouble figuring out where/how to grip on the gi vs the no gi variation and how to break your opponents grip. Also I really love to take advantage of gi-only things like feeding a lapel behind someones back and grabbing it from the other side, gi chokes, using the belt for grips, etc.

Also, since I'm training BJJ mainly/only to get better at judo, I prefer to train specifically for gi fighting. I'll still watch no-gi video, but I often have trouble applying them to gi grappling. Strangely, I don't have much problem doing the opposite.

e: thanks for all the links, I will look at that this week.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 5, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
From guard, the hip bump sweep/combo was next sweep our instructor showed me after the scissor sweeps. Now I'm working on the flower and pendulum sweeps.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
The pendulum sweep is so fun when you nail the timing. Guys are like "raar i will smash you into the mat" and i'm like "nope you're going that way now"

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I occasionally nail it off a stacked armbar, though we call it a flower sweep. I go for an armbar from guard, they stack me up, and then I send them flying. In the middle of the sweep, you can do another armbar, too.

It's good fun, though sometimes I simply cannot move them and I haven't worked out what the missing element is yet. I suspect I have to trick them into using a certain type of base, like maybe their legs need to be close together, or something.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

As an example when people are utterly baffled I ask them to pretend being superman who takes flight. (Go ahead and laugh, everyone.) Drop their weight but not their hands, relax their shoulders and explode up with the uppercut so high it hits the roof if they can reach it.

It's a huge exaggeration of the movement but that's the point, when they shorten it to about the forehead of the target it starts to click.

I tell them the uppercut is from Mortal Kombat 2.

And yes, I never throw just an uppercut, and so I never end up showing it just by itself as a move.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I occasionally nail it off a stacked armbar, though we call it a flower sweep. I go for an armbar from guard, they stack me up, and then I send them flying. In the middle of the sweep, you can do another armbar, too.

It's good fun, though sometimes I simply cannot move them and I haven't worked out what the missing element is yet. I suspect I have to trick them into using a certain type of base, like maybe their legs need to be close together, or something.

It may be due to the angle that you're trying to sweep towards. I've found that a slight change in direction makes all the difference on the flower/pendulum sweep.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
When I think of the flower sweep as an armbar attempt I tend to push more laterally and when I think of it as a sweep I tend to roll over my shoulder.

I feel like I have a better success rate with the lateral push / go for armbar and if I don't catch it at least I have sidemout or mount.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What are the rules regarding bjj and 'throat choking' or grabbing the throat in general? I'm not actually sure what to call it but I've heard it referred to as 'rape choking' before but assume there's a friendlier term for it.

I assume using the thumb to press down on the esophagus is not allowed but are you allowed to hold someone down to the mat by grabbing their neck/throat like that?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Holy poo poo.

Just, holy poo poo.

We are getting our very own gym. Due to other people having tremendously bad business sense and our magic of connections we get to lease a dirt cheap factory hall. One month-long renovation and we'll have almost three times the mat space, actual gym equipment, and even a goddamn sauna.

Good bye bomb shelter. I'll probably miss the rough-hewn rock walls but i won't miss the cold-war era ventilation systems or strange old people blocking the way to the mats with airplanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

origami posted:

What are the rules regarding bjj and 'throat choking' or grabbing the throat in general? I'm not actually sure what to call it but I've heard it referred to as 'rape choking' before but assume there's a friendlier term for it.

I assume using the thumb to press down on the esophagus is not allowed but are you allowed to hold someone down to the mat by grabbing their neck/throat like that?

As far as I've seen you're allowed to do it but you're just going to get armbarred for your troubles so ymmv

• Locked thread