Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

rosewood posted:

When I was playing with smoking and gravys and sauces I'd just take a little bread and dip it in the drippings/fat and taste it that way to get an idea of what it would do to the gravy. With a simple gravy (fat/flour/liquid) that always gave me a great idea of what the main flavor would be. But when I do more complex veggie gravies (in my head I call these british gravies) I've always found the fat to make way less of a difference in the final dish since all the caramelized carrots and onions and such are the main players.

To more directly answer your question, I've made many a gravy or sauce from roasted birds and they are delicious and I don't think they particularly overpower the gravy. They just add some of the meaty flavor to the gravy party.

But speaking of Tepid Water Machines

My wife says I can have one for Christmas. I've just been toying with the idea for a year now and I'll bring it up every so often but I always shoot it down because of the cost. Well now I have to decide if I want to get the Polyscience Immersion Circulator or the Sous Vide Supreme.

My kitchen isn't huge and counterspace is a premium. So if I go SVS I'll have to put it away and pull it out and that doesn't appeal to me. With the Circulator I can easily put that on the slide out drawer and the empty tub I can easily stash way up high. The vast majority of the time I'll be cooking for 2 adults and 2 kids, a lot of the time (once a week) I'll be cooking for 4 adults and 2 kids. But a few times a year I may be cooking for large parties. I'm having a hard time figuring out, for example, how many steaks you can cook in an SVS. Can you do a whole (chopped) turkey in an SVS?

PS - The Immersion is $800 - 20% off Dec 1-4 @ Williams-Sonoma. http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/135143_williamssonomaff2011.jpg and it comes with a tub and a stock pot and I need a new stock pot. So I'm looking at a $200 difference and I think that even if I just need the increased capacity once a year then that is worth it.

buy a used one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoBeau
Jan 17, 2008
La Beauté du Sinistré

GrAviTy84 posted:

What texture are you after? If you want caramelized, that will take the better part of an hour to do correctly, with a lot of fat and low medium heat. If you want "sweated" then low medium heat and a bit of salt is what you need (the translucent ones you're getting).

Well that makes sense. I guess I've been expecting carmelized onions while using the technique for 'sweating' them. Thanks for clearing that up!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

HoBeau posted:

Well that makes sense. I guess I've been expecting carmelized onions while using the technique for 'sweating' them. Thanks for clearing that up!

caramelized onions are what you get when you sweat onions for two hours

rosewood
May 7, 2004
Shockaholic

GrAviTy84 posted:

buy a used one

I seriously considered that route and the DIY route. But every so often I'll read about how someones old lab circulator or DIY device failed. Don't get me wrong, I know Sous Vide is perfectly safe but I'd rather not risk it with used hardware. (I'm risk aversive so $200 for a better warranty, a new stock pot and a tub is worth it for me)

If the used route was say closer to $100 then I'd probably be on that

rosewood
May 7, 2004
Shockaholic

HoBeau posted:

The America's test kitchen episode on French Onion Soup does a really good job covering caramelized onions. Now, in that recipe they want you to caramelize the gently caress out of your onions and that probably isn't what you are going for. But I remember them doing a good job of showing off multiple stages of caramel town.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

You are wrong. Leeks are awesome. Without the leek, that pizza will be unbalanced. Maybe grilled scallions? The idea is to be reminiscent of a calçotada. You are getting Spanish chorizo, not mexican chorizo right?

Yea, I got the Spanish ones, but didn't use any leeks. Replaced them with red onions, turned out one of the best pizza's I've manage to make.

varjoankka fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 3, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I, umm, accidentally just spent 63 euros on meat. I wanted to get a pound of fillet steak to make this fancy stroganoff recipe I'd found, and then on a whim, decided I wanted to get some lamb steak I could fry up as well. Turns out fillet steak costs 85 euros per kilo, and the lamb was 75.

Anyways, I really have no idea what to do with the lamb, I'm not even sure what cut of lamb it is (I bought it in Holland, and the butcher told me it was the most expensive cut of lamb available). Anybody have any ideas for something which makes me appreciate the stupid amount of money I just spent on it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rosewood posted:

I seriously considered that route and the DIY route. But every so often I'll read about how someones old lab circulator or DIY device failed. Don't get me wrong, I know Sous Vide is perfectly safe but I'd rather not risk it with used hardware. (I'm risk aversive so $200 for a better warranty, a new stock pot and a tub is worth it for me)

If the used route was say closer to $100 then I'd probably be on that

I wouldn't get used, especially with a lab grade one just because you never know what it was used for. The SVS is cool, but limited by its size. I have an old school poly science (purchased new) and I can cook a bunch of food in the tub. If you can afford and have a place to stow the tub when you're not using it, go that route.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Sous Vide Supreme has some pretty serious corrosion issues.

If you get it for $199 and plan to throw it away, fine. But don't spend top dollar and expect it to last.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My mother has an average commute of about 2 hours, and usually gets back to her house too worn out to cook. She's tired of eating pre-packaged junk, and asked me if I could prepare meals in advance for her to reheat during the week.

To that end, I'm hunting recipes that can be fully prepared, and either frozen, or sit in the fridge for 5-6 days without going bad. I know stews are good for that, and I have several in mind, but I'd like to have more variety.

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm making stock and bought some wings to use. Do I just dump the wings in the stock pot or should I remove the meat off of them first? I dont plan to eat the meat at all so I dont mind throwing it away, just didn't know if you only want bones in the stock and not any actual meat or fat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chemmy posted:

If you get it for $199 and plan to throw it away, fine. But don't spend top dollar and expect it to last.

I've had the full-size model since it came out with no corrosion - I haven't noticed it at all outside of people complaining about the demi.

I've hosted steak dinners for 20 people using the full size svs.

rosewood
May 7, 2004
Shockaholic

Chemmy posted:

This is good to know

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

I've had the full-size model since it came out with no corrosion - I haven't noticed it at all outside of people complaining about the demi.

I've hosted steak dinners for 20 people using the full size svs.

I'm so confused!

So you can easily do 20 steaks in the full sized SVS? What about 20 steaks and some carrots and maybe some pears? I can't find one locally to actually put eyeballs on it but it wouldn't be crazy for me to do a party for 20 people 2-3 times a year.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

I've had the demi since it came out and I haven't had any problems with corrosion either. There's a little aluminised grate thing that's gotten darker from oxidation (like you see on old half sheet pans and that kind of thing) but that's about it.

It gets used probably two, three times a week on average.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

rosewood posted:

So you can easily do 20 steaks in the full sized SVS? What about 20 steaks and some carrots and maybe some pears? I can't find one locally to actually put eyeballs on it but it wouldn't be crazy for me to do a party for 20 people 2-3 times a year.

Vegetables need to cook cook at a much higher temperature so you'd cook-chill them ahead of time, store them in your fridge, and then finish them either in the steak water bath or just in a pan with butter to reheat right before service.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

HoBeau posted:

There is a recipe for caramelized onions here that explains the whole process and is about twice as fast, too!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I was at a steakhouse earlier and they had coffee rubbed new york strip. I wasn't adventurous enough to try it. Anyone had something like that, is it any good?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Guliani is HOT posted:

I was at a steakhouse earlier and they had coffee rubbed new york strip. I wasn't adventurous enough to try it. Anyone had something like that, is it any good?

I use coffee in a lot of my barbecue rubs, it's pretty awesome. It doesn't really make the meat taste like coffee, in my experience, but the flavor it creates is very nice.

I've seen people do cocoa rubs as well, and I've been meaning to try it, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Gerblyn posted:

Anyways, I really have no idea what to do with the lamb, I'm not even sure what cut of lamb it is (I bought it in Holland, and the butcher told me it was the most expensive cut of lamb available). Anybody have any ideas for something which makes me appreciate the stupid amount of money I just spent on it?

Without knowing what kind of lamb cut it is it's really hard to recommend something- but maybe a lamb curry? Look into Mediterranean/Greek recipes perhaps.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Gerblyn posted:

I, umm, accidentally just spent 63 euros on meat. I wanted to get a pound of fillet steak to make this fancy stroganoff recipe I'd found, and then on a whim, decided I wanted to get some lamb steak I could fry up as well. Turns out fillet steak costs 85 euros per kilo, and the lamb was 75.

If it's quality, just cook it super rare in hot cast iron.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Take a picture of it. If someone told me they had the "most expensive cut" of lamb, I would assume it was a rack, but if you took a picture of it, we can confirm.

HoBeau
Jan 17, 2008
La Beauté du Sinistré

The Midniter posted:

There is a recipe for caramelized onions here that explains the whole process and is about twice as fast, too!

Oh man there is about to be so much more onion in my life.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Comic posted:

Without knowing what kind of lamb cut it is it's really hard to recommend something- but maybe a lamb curry? Look into Mediterranean/Greek recipes perhaps.

I've had a look round, and I'm pretty sure that it's Lamb Fillet, since I can cook it like Beef Fillet, and the butcher had to waste lots of meat trimming bits of before he gave it to me.

I was thinking maybe of doing this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lambkebab_72360

Since it looks quite tasty, while still being simple enough that there's not much risk of me loving it up and destroying the meat.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If it's quality, just cook it super rare in hot cast iron.

That's an option too, but I'd want some kind of sauce or something to go with it, right? I like lamb well enough, but I'm not really the kind of person who just eats a piece of meat for meat's sake.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Take a picture of it. If someone told me they had the "most expensive cut" of lamb, I would assume it was a rack, but if you took a picture of it, we can confirm.

It's definitely not a rack, it looks like this:

The butcher cut it from a boneless piece of meat which was sort of American football shaped, and it had lots of bits of white, membrane stuff he had to cut away.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Does anyone know if the crockpot Little Dipper can get hot enough for fondue or do I need to prepare it on the stove first and then transfer it?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

revmoo posted:

Does anyone know if the crockpot Little Dipper can get hot enough for fondue or do I need to prepare it on the stove first and then transfer it?

What kind of fondue? It's probably okay for melting chocolate (but will break once it gets too hot) but you're going to want to make a cheese fondue in a pan first.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

revmoo posted:

Is that the little tiny one that they throw in with the big ones sometimes? It gets hot enough to all but burn me, so I assume it'd be fine.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Cheese fondue.

This unit: http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-32041-C-16-Ounce-Little-Dipper/dp/B0000CCY14

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Can someone tell me how to make a curry like this:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

What's your recipe for the fondue? Usually you need to do stuff with aromatics/acid before you melt in the cheese, and you're going to have an issue with that in one of those.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

loopsheloop posted:

Can someone tell me how to make a curry like this:

Buy pack, follow directions.

Failing that, a long and tedious process of making a curry roux (kare ruu) involving caramelizing vast quantities of finely minced yellow onion that are added to a regular, nutty brown roux along with more or less ordinary curry powder. To which is added stock to fashion a thick gravy, which is seasoned with puréed fruits. Browned cubes of your meat of choice (pork butt or beef shoulder or similar), cubes of potato..did I forget anything? You can probably find huge amounts of info on the Net on how to make Japanese curry. But, like I said, almost everyone makes it from cubes at home. It's what's Right.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have about one pound of beef heart in the slow cooker with some water and nine fresh habaneros. I will be using these in burritos for dinner tomorrow night. The water has turned into an amazing smelling broth that I am sure is extremely spicy. I would like to turn it into some sort of sauce after the heart is done cooking. Aside from reducing it, anyone have suggestions for seasoning it (aside from salt)?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Midniter posted:

I have about one pound of beef heart in the slow cooker with some water and nine fresh habaneros. I will be using these in burritos for dinner tomorrow night. The water has turned into an amazing smelling broth that I am sure is extremely spicy. I would like to turn it into some sort of sauce after the heart is done cooking. Aside from reducing it, anyone have suggestions for seasoning it (aside from salt)?

Cumin.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Can I have a suggestion for a venison chili recipe/style? I only have ground venison. I used to put tomato and beans in my chili, but I'd like to try one of the styles that doesn't include either this time. My overall method is to brown the venison in a cast iron then move it to the slow cooker, adding liquid, spices and chile, where it'll cook for many hours.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
I soaked a pound of kidney beans overnight, but ended up using only around half of them. Can I just throw the other half in a ziplock bag in the fridge or something?

megathrust
Jul 13, 2010

I'm been on a crazy macaron kick since the summer, but the difficulty of the recipe just kills me-some days they'll turn out great and other days it'll be a disaster. I was wondering if anybody has tried the Italian way of making macarons and if it's easier, or if there's a good 'starter' Italian macaron recipe to try?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I just recently got a pressure cooker in the hopes that I can expand the range of stuff I can cook relatively quickly after my girlfriend and I get off work later in the evening.

Stews and soups come quickly to mind, but are there any dishes that you folks find particularly lend themselves to a pressure cooker?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Help a brother out.

Post Wife dating here, and I'm dating an amazing lady who's an amazing cook and now it's my turn.

I wanna do something with pork. Was thinking of thick cut pork chops, fennel, a few other seasonings. What's the best way to get them good and tender? Was thinking of maybe a thin glaze on top as well.

I also want to do jeweled carrots (carrots in ginger ale, cayenne, butter), and was thinking either horseradish or parsnip mashed potatoes. I'll wander around the local fresh markets for another good veggie side. Hopin to find some fresh field peas but dunno. Spinach and other greens are in season, as well as sweet potatoes so I may use those instead of regular taters.

And, of course, squash.

She made me some loving fantastic brisket, Brussels sprouts, and jasmine rice so I gotta return the favor.

My cookware is limited (the ex took all the good and expensive poo poo (my dutch oven :( )) So I got a few skillets and a boiler and.... I think that's it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

^^^ For pork chops, my go-to preparation is to sear em off in a hot pan and toss in the oven to cook to 160F. Then rest em, make a mushroom pan sauce with a bit of brandy or whiskey, and serve with some steamed green beans.

ChetReckless posted:

I just recently got a pressure cooker in the hopes that I can expand the range of stuff I can cook relatively quickly after my girlfriend and I get off work later in the evening.

Stews and soups come quickly to mind, but are there any dishes that you folks find particularly lend themselves to a pressure cooker?

Beans and lentils rock in a pressure cooker. 20 minutes instead of an hour and a half? Yes please.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

ChetReckless posted:

Short ribs and lamb shanks. Hell yes! Any meat with a bone in it will pressure cook into delicious melt-in-your-mouth goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Casu Marzu posted:

^^^ For pork chops, my go-to preparation is to sear em off in a hot pan and toss in the oven to cook to 160F. Then rest em, make a mushroom pan sauce with a bit of brandy or whiskey, and serve with some steamed green beans.

This sounds pretty good. TY.