Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer

Well Manicured Man posted:

Also wondering how Andrew's going to tackle the walkaround flashes. But that isn't going to happen for a while.

The first walkaround will be in the beginning of the next book. He'll probably just show the text for anything you can interact with. Too bad we won't get to see trickster mode in glorious book form.

I'm getting KC Green's Anime Club book too so the shipping doesn't seems as expensive. Only $5 for a sketch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That is literally the fastest purchase I have ever made.

At this rate by the time Hussie actually puts the info up on the site he'll have to stop doing doodles.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

If each book ends up being an act, Book 5 will be about as many pages as The Lord of the Rings unless Andrew does some serious trimming. I'd expect a lot of Hivebent to be condensed, along with probably some of the Scratch section.

Also wondering how Andrew's going to tackle the walkaround flashes. But that isn't going to happen for a while.

From the placement of the page in the example photo, I think this book will be either about half of Act 1, or all of Act 1, mostly because I'm stupid and forgot precisely where that scene was. However, I seriously doubt the subsequent books would be an act each. And editing Act 5 enough to fit in a single book like this, no offense, but the notion actually made me laugh out loud.

That said, I think people are taking Andrew's "Rough draft" comment way out of context at this point.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm pretty much entirely sure that the "rough draft" comment refers to the fact that Homestuck is continually published online at the time that it's initially written/drawn, without revision.

It doesn't mean there's ever going to be a final draft, and I think Andrew's basically said he doesn't have any regrets about the way the story's come out.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Got me a doodled book. So worth it.

I am really looking forward to seeing how this is whole book format thing pans out.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Wrist Watch posted:

That is literally the fastest purchase I have ever made.

I think I once purchased a Terry Pratchett book faster, but only because Amazon has that one-click shopping option.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about the book itself, the doodle, or the author commentary.

pkmnfrk
Dec 24, 2010

Chester Hjorvarth
Victorious this day
3-7-2011

Midnight Raider posted:

And editing Act 5 enough to fit in a single book like this, no offense, but the notion actually made me laugh out loud.

Well, he could go the way of the late Robert Jordan, who claimed that the 12th book in the Wheel of Time series was "going to be the very last book in the series, even if Tor has to invent a new method of binding and sell it with its own library cart" (not quoted directly, but it works better in quote format).

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
To be fair I think Act 5 can be split into 3 books.

First being Act 5.1
Second being Act 5.2 up to the long scratch.php interval
Third being the scratch.php interval (printed on green paper of course!) and the EOA flip book.

Simple, really!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Midnight Raider posted:

From the placement of the page in the example photo, I think this book will be either about half of Act 1, or all of Act 1, mostly because I'm stupid and forgot precisely where that scene was.

It's precisely Act 1, according to the store page.

I ended up getting over the shipping costs and ordering one, even contributing to future story delays by taking the +doodle option. Of course if any part of the story easily lends itself to print, it's Act 1, but I still want to see how it'll go. Also, hey, author commentary. I always like to see a little of that.

In more current talk, I guess Jake with his dead dreamself might soon serve as a more direct interface between the B2 cast and the green sun/furthest ring/dead crew. John and Jade of course will just smash their way in through a fourth wall, but we don't yet know the details of how Dave and Rose will find their way, and we don't really know anything about what kind of role the trolls will play for the rest of the story.

If nothing else, it seems like bubbletalk would be pretty likely to happen as soon as he goes to sleep with no Prospit self to be - and I guess everyone will have a less jarring time if they know who's coming. It would make sense for Jake to play that role if anyone did, given his correspondence with Jade.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

pkmnfrk posted:

Well, he could go the way of the late Robert Jordan, who claimed that the 12th book in the Wheel of Time series was "going to be the very last book in the series, even if Tor has to invent a new method of binding and sell it with its own library cart" (not quoted directly, but it works better in quote format).

And then he dies before actually finishing it. :suicide:

e/ No idea who would ghost write Homestuck in the event of Andrew's untimely death. It would probably have to be his literal ghost, since as I recall he doesn't make physical notes for any of this poo poo.

e2/ Ghost felt troll Andrew Hussie for best character 2012

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 3, 2011

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that right there would be a :smithicide:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

FaceTime posted:

To be fair I think Act 5 can be split into 3 books.

First being Act 5.1
Second being Act 5.2 up to the long scratch.php interval
Third being the scratch.php interval (printed on green paper of course!) and the EOA flip book.

Simple, really!

The second one would have to include more pages than the other two combined, as well as five walkaround flashes.

Act 1 is probably the only whole act that could fit into a single book.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I don't know, the book doesn't look that thick - acts 2, 3+I and 4 could each probably fit in a book not that much more than twice the size. Not sure if that's necessarily the way it'll go - it might not be economical or whatever to print thick illustration-heavy paperbacks - but it only becomes completely unfeasible with Act 5.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
And just like that, the doodled copies are all sold out.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

tinaun posted:

And just like that, the doodled copies are all sold out.

Just imagine how much faster they would have sold out if Andrew had put out an announcement on the main page earlier today.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tollymain posted:

Yeah that right there would be a :smithicide:

I don't think the internet would survive Hussie's untimely demise - or, for that matter, would Hussie survive Homestuck's untimely demise. If he decided to quit before the story's completion he'd need to be put into a witness protection program to escape nerd reprisal.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Oh, the books are for sale now? I guess I can post this now:

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

^^^^^^^^^^^ Open the book and take a dang picture.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Walliard posted:

The second one would have to include more pages than the other two combined, as well as five walkaround flashes.

Act 3 maybe?

Though possibly not if you bundle it with the Intermission.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Some more of Jane and Bro's conversation has appeared. Bro is honestly getting pretty interesting, I wouldn't have expected him to be both earnestly devoted to the ironies and as frank as he's being here.

Also interesting: Bro seems to have some awareness of ectobiological shenanigans. I wonder just how much he knows or thinks he knows about the nature of his genetic relation to Dave.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Walliard posted:

And we're not even sure if all of Act 1 is in that book. scratch that i can't read

I mean, it probably is, it's short enough, but even acts 3 and 4 are pretty big endeavors. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, I mean Problem Sleuth hasn't been completely adapted yet.

Anyway, update. Jesus, Bro is running circles around Dave when it comes to his devotion to irony. Dave never really stood a chance of matching his dedication.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 4, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Some more of Jane and Bro's conversation has appeared. Bro is honestly getting pretty interesting, I wouldn't have expected him to be both earnestly devoted to the ironies and as frank as he's being here.

Also interesting: Bro seems to have some awareness of ectobiological shenanigans. I wonder just how much he knows or thinks he knows about the nature of his genetic relation to Dave.

Its seems as though Dave might know more than he should. Also, Mom Lalonde's name starts with an R if we didnt already assume as much.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Anyway, update. Jesus, Bro is running circles around Dave when it comes to his devotion to irony. Dave never really stood a chance of matching his dedication.

Pre-scratch Bro wasnt ironic at all and Dave was being ironic. Post-scratch Bro is now completely ironic and I bet Dave now isnt ironic.

KoB fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 4, 2011

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

TT posted:

You seek the Zen of a pie to the face. The Tao of falling the gently caress down.

:allears:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

And we're not even sure if all of Act 1 is in that book.

Yes we are.

Topatoco posted:

Homestuck Book 1 contains the complete first act, with author notes on each page.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I am stupidly happy that Jane named the bunny Lil' Sebastian :3:

What do you guys think RL's first name will be?
I'll throw in a suggestion of 'Rita'. It's a good name for a flighty broad.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
KNEEL BEFORE CAL :black101:

At least know we know Dave really is rich and successful in this universe. Also calling Lalonde's name as "Ruby"

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

quote:

TT: Through an intense commitment bordering on religious devotion to the absolutely inane, absurd, or plain loving stupid, a very different kind of sincerity begins to materialize. One of reverence to the ridiculous. You begin to "mean it," but what exactly it is you mean is never quite what appears on the surface, and is utterly inaccessible to obtuse and literal minds. That you "mean it" then becomes inseparable from the joke, and additional rich strata of humor my be stripped aggressively from this irreconcilable truth.

Oddly enough, and perhaps not unintentionally, this also kind of describes part of what makes Homestuck so interesting, at least to me. It's incredibly silly but not vacuously so - it has this weird core of sincerity which is often made part of the joke but never seems to break. v:shobon:v

On another note, Jane mentions "movies", plural. We only know about "Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff: The Moive". Maybe they're just all titled that.

Bootstrap Beefstud
Jan 1, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So why is Bro's handle timaeusTestified? Is it because he's pursuing an ideal of Genuine Irony and he likes dissertations or what.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Ammat The Ankh posted:

At least know we know Dave really is rich and successful in this universe.

Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff: The Movie was a hit :D

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I like how Dave built his media empire from mainstream blockbuster movies that are apparently terrible whereas Bro made his millions by exploiting furtive muppet rear end fetishists in the dark corners of the internet.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I like that Bro is so straight-forward. That was always the big sticking point with the parents originally, is they were all never very ironic about things. Or at least, I felt it was heavily implied that what most of the kids thought was irony was a genuine if somewhat eccentric like of all the goofy poo poo (puppets and wizards and what not). Bro being an eccentric but straight talking guy is pretty much the best outcome I could've hoped for.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Pastrymancy posted:

I am stupidly happy that Jane named the bunny Lil' Sebastian :3:

What do you guys think RL's first name will be?
I'll throw in a suggestion of 'Rita'. It's a good name for a flighty broad.

I like the name Rita but dread the Darkseed 2 jokes. I'm having trouble resisting the temptation to make one right now. I can't think of any other four letter R names than that and Ruby. Or Ruth. Maybe Rosa if Hussie wanted to make it confusing.

Edit: vvvvvv: I was thinking the exact same thing! The tone and content of Bro's lines could have been lifted from Hussie's Formsprings/Tumblr.

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 4, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That was incredibly satisfying to read. That was more or less my understanding of Bro and his sense of humour for a good long while now, and while Hussie has said before that Dave's logs are some of the easiest for him to write because they're closest to how he likes to chat, I think Bro really captured the spirit of Hussie's own works here. Hell, we can probably all relate in this day and age to mixing irony and sincerity to achieve higher levels of humour and satisfaction.

Also, never mind seeing the all-Strider-conversation, I want to see Rose and this Bro go nine rounds on the psycho-analysis circuit. I'm not sure anybody could get the upper hand in a conversation with him.

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer
"Rita" is the only possible choice since it's short for Margarita.

vvv Dean

Ketzal fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 4, 2011

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What is a 4 letter name that starts with a D that isn't Dave? Dane?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Unlucky7 posted:

Dick.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Unlucky7 posted:

Doug

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I know it's fanon *plays a round of Russian roulette* but I really like the idea that Bro's name is also Dave. it makes me laugh a lot to think about and I want it to be real

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Considering how much he types like Hussie, Drew.

Considering they live in Texas, Dale.

Dirk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Dove. Dove Strider. It's ironic, you wouldn't understand.