Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

That's the thing - you're talking games press, journalism. I'm talking... uh, non-fiction? Technical articles, that could only be written by a programmer. Algorithm write-ups, discussions of design patterns, talking shop. Things not really related to news of the day.

I'm hoping that + part-time would make this way less competitive?

Whoops, skipped over that line. It's 3am, I'm a bit out of it.

Well, you can start a Gamasutra blog. Technical articles outside of that and a couple of specialty sites don't tend to get paid as far as I'm aware of.

StarWarrior-X would probably know better on that note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

Whoops, skipped over that line. It's 3am, I'm a bit out of it.

Well, you can start a Gamasutra blog. Technical articles outside of that and a couple of specialty sites don't tend to get paid as far as I'm aware of.

StarWarrior-X would probably know better on that note.

Does Gamasutra still handle tech blogs? I remember a few years back I was trying to browse for some tech articles and they had really gone downhill as far as content was concerned. More discussions of games with a minor focus on the tech involved than discussion of the tech involved with a minor focus on the games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Diplomaticus posted:

Yep, already have one, it has... uh, a lot of entries.

I don't know, it could be that magazines like Game Developer Magazine are basically "it" for this kind of thing. Figured it was worth poking around for, though.

EDIT: VV Fine idea - just fired an email off to them.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 3, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Does Gamasutra still handle tech blogs? I remember a few years back I was trying to browse for some tech articles and they had really gone downhill as far as content was concerned. More discussions of games with a minor focus on the tech involved than discussion of the tech involved with a minor focus on the games.

Yep. The quality massively varies, I've read some that were quite interesting, others not so much. http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/

-e- Also Shalinor, your blogs seem well commented/viewed. Have you tried asking them to do a paid feature? Maybe 750 words or so?

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

loquacius posted:

Wore my Turbine T-shirt yesterday. The cashier at the liquor store recognized the logo, asked if I worked there, and was pretty jazzed to find out I did. :unsmith:

He asked what I did and when I answered "QA Engineer" the conversation abruptly ended. :smith:
He should have paid for your drinks. You need 'em.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

M4rk posted:

He should have paid for your drinks. You need 'em.

He better not, I think I'm on an E-Mail thread with him now and we're expecting great stuff this next week!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

-e- Also Shalinor, your blogs seem well commented/viewed. Have you tried asking them to do a paid feature? Maybe 750 words or so?
Well that was easy. Dude already got back to me.

This... this might work :3:

EDIT:

If anyone else is curious, their base rate is $200, and their terms are here. Looking for industry professionals, no specific limits on subject matter, 1500 words min, 2500 to 3500 words desired, 30 day exclusivity, etc. They usually limit it to one piece a month per submitter.

... I wonder if I could negotiate a higher rate, hmmm.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 3, 2011

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Today, I found a bug and identified the fix in our game, which was only evident if you had a listing of all plotstates conditional checks in the game, and remembered game content from 5 years ago well enough to recognize an unhandled edge case in imported plotstates.

As it happens, I've just written a code commandlet that dumps out every plotstate check in our game content, and have been on the IP for 6 years now - it turns out that edge case was responsible for at least 4 different crash EVs in our database and would have blocked an entire playthrough path across 3 titles if it had gone live.

Sometimes it's really, really fun to be in QA :3:

On a sidenote, importing and handling plotstates from multiple previous titles is a pain in the arse

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Shalinor posted:

EDIT:

If anyone else is curious, their base rate is $200, and their terms are here. Looking for industry professionals, no specific limits on subject matter, 1500 words min, 2500 to 3500 words desired, 30 day exclusivity, etc. They usually limit it to one piece a month per submitter.

Game Jobs thread strikes again!

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Birudojin posted:

Today, I found a bug and identified the fix in our game, which was only evident if you had a listing of all plotstates conditional checks in the game, and remembered game content from 5 years ago well enough to recognize an unhandled edge case in imported plotstates.

As it happens, I've just written a code commandlet that dumps out every plotstate check in our game content, and have been on the IP for 6 years now - it turns out that edge case was responsible for at least 4 different crash EVs in our database and would have blocked an entire playthrough path across 3 titles if it had gone live.

Sometimes it's really, really fun to be in QA :3:

On a sidenote, importing and handling plotstates from multiple previous titles is a pain in the arse
I love hearing these kinds of success stories from QA folks. Most of what I hear isn't anywhere near as chipper. :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Does the Dungeons guy still pay attention to this thread? If so, suggestion: the project update video you just put on Kickstarter is looooong, and kind of reeks of padding. Minutes of staring at a laptop screen full of code discussing bugs does not compelling content make.

Check out the Wolffire vblog updates. They keep it short and to the point, and typically only demo things that can be seen (and talk about the things that can't be seen as they're doing that). More than a minute or two per video is way, way overkill.

EDIT: VV Oh, hey, saw you on DIYGamer.com - hadn't realized it was a goon project. Have you hit up http://indiegames.com/ ?

EDIT2: I also Facebookified and Google+'ified your link, for whatever it's worth. I love 4X :3:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 4, 2011

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Dudes, I could use some advice for getting some more press on my Kickstarter campaign for StarDrive. So far it's going well. I've had a piece up on:

Bluesnews, DIYGamer, Worthplaying, Spacesimcentral, and a few other small sites.

Where else should I be trying to get some press from? I've emailed the guys at Kotaku and at RPS and I'm hoping they might pick something up.

Also, if anyone here has a gaming blog, I would really appreciate a plug. Suggestions?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Shalinor posted:

EDIT:

For some reason it never clicked to me that those sites pay for articles. I've been working on something in my spare time at work for way too long, I should crack down and finish it.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Dipes posted:

Suggestions?
Tweet Notch. You've got nothing to lose, and his endorsement would probably get you to your goal in a half a day.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003

FreakyZoid posted:

Tweet Notch. You've got nothing to lose, and his endorsement would probably get you to your goal in a half a day.

Excellent idea. Going with this!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Dipes posted:

Dudes, I could use some advice for getting some more press on my Kickstarter campaign for StarDrive. So far it's going well. I've had a piece up on:

Bluesnews, DIYGamer, Worthplaying, Spacesimcentral, and a few other small sites.

Where else should I be trying to get some press from? I've emailed the guys at Kotaku and at RPS and I'm hoping they might pick something up.

Also, if anyone here has a gaming blog, I would really appreciate a plug. Suggestions?

tips at nukezilla dooooot com

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

M4rk posted:

I love hearing these kinds of success stories from QA folks. Most of what I hear isn't anywhere near as chipper. :(

That is my goal as a current QA person. I'm just trying to teach myself everything I can on the side so I can get so many extra skill sets.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Hi gamejobs thread, I'm a (contract) QA tester at 343 Industries doing tools testing and build verification. Let me tell you why my job is awesome:

As part of my job I had to learn how to use the content creation tools the designers use. On slow days I get to poke around the documentation and tutorials for these tools, and now I have the knowledge to create Halo levels from scratch, including scripting. Watching enemies spawn and move into position in a level you created is an amazing feeling.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 9, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

We just pushed our final IGF build, and later today, hopefully we'll be cutting some manner of trailer. It isn't ideal, tons of rough edges, but... considering my day job shuttered midway through work on the entry, and that we've only got a month or two of actual time in this so far - I'm drat proud of what we accomplished. :clint:

In about 20 hours, I look forward to actually getting a full night's sleep (and more), but hey, this is kinda fun. Haven't pulled an all-nighter since school.

EDIT: VVV My artist partner spends Sunday with his kids, usually, so not expecting the trailer until sometime tomorrow. He hasn't even seen the assembled build yet :3:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 5, 2011

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I WANNA SEE!~

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Birudojin posted:

I am eagerly awaiting ME3 and I thank you for your efforts!

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Who has experience working with publishers? I was approached by a publisher for StarDrive (they are a reputable niche publisher) but they don't publish titles to Steam, which concerns me. They want a 50/50 split.

What kinds of terms are negotiable in a publishing contract?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Dipes posted:

Only give the the publishing rights of things they're actually going to publish. It may be a long shot, but if your game is a hit and you've given them all the rights, then they're going to merchandise and license likenesses and so on and so forth without paying you a cent. I know guys who've had pinball machines made from their properties and the publisher just keeps all that money because they didn't specify. If they say they want to publish your game for PC, give them the PC license and that's it. Rights are so easily exploitable if you don't specify and I've seena ton of people lose a ton of money that should rightly go to them because of it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dipes posted:

Who has experience working with publishers? I was approached by a publisher for StarDrive (they are a reputable niche publisher) but they don't publish titles to Steam, which concerns me. They want a 50/50 split.
That would be a pretty major red flag for me, if you're talking to them purely about PC/Mac. What are they giving you, if not distribution on Steam? Even the publishers that DO make it on Steam often won't provide much in the way of press. You can get into D2D and Gamersgate et al on your own.

In general, that's what you want to nail down. Exactly what are they getting from you, and exactly what are you getting from them.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I've been Producing for over a week now at my new gig and I'm loving every second of it. I am so happy I decided to pull the trigger and do this.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I made game arts.

A friend of mine at Carbine put the word out that they have some open positions, so I threw this together in order to apply. The style target is, obviously, Wildstar's direction.

The full breakdown can be seen here: http://www.worthdayley.com/04-textures.html

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Looks good! The guys at Carbine will love that you made something in their actual style for a submission.

I'm interviewing for a position at a certain company right now. A couple of dudes here work there already, so I don't want to say where until it's a sure thing. Exciting times, nonetheless. ;)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Dipes posted:

I do. Shoot an email to drosenthal aaaaaaat gameslaw dooooooooot net and we can talk. This is not an area you want to gently caress up, to put it bluntly. You really ought to have an attorney for this.

quote:

Depends on the publisher, you, your relative positions, your game/market/audience, etc.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

mutata posted:

I made game arts.

A friend of mine at Carbine put the word out that they have some open positions, so I threw this together in order to apply. The style target is, obviously, Wildstar's direction.

<arts snipped>

I like it -- two crits for you. One: why is there a grass/plant growing on dirt covered rock (in the corner, not the moss)? Doesn't seem possible/fitting. Two: is that wood intended to be covering up that hole? If so there isn't enough of it. Also I'm not entirely sure what that hole is -- a fireplace or coal fired stove or something?? If that's a fireplace/stove and the rock behind it is a flue, then it's not centered, which is unusual.

Actually a third one: one of your moss textures, the one attached to the large stone rectangles (looks like it has two "spikes") repeats quite a bit -- that could have more variance. It's not as noticeable in the head-on picture, but is very noticeable on the oblique angled one -- I see it used 5 times, 4 of which are uncovered by anything, and 3 of which are right next to each other.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?
Major layoffs at one of my old studios. Sad to see it happen to those guys, I worked there for six years before taking another gig. :smith:

Hopefully everyone they let go can find work soon - any HR types: there are some good pickups out there from this mess.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Aggh man that sucks. I worked on F.E.A.R. 3 for a stint.

I'm the curse that keeps on killing.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010

Shalinor posted:

<snip>
You can get into D2D and Gamersgate et al on your own.
<snip>

You can submit games directly to Steam as well: http://steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

(at the bottom of the page)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ttocs7 posted:

You can submit games directly to Steam as well: http://steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

(at the bottom of the page)
... "kind of."

Steam generally won't pay indies much attention unless they've got a pretty decent following already. Publishers and PR partners in the indie PC space (Paradox, Origo, [a] list, etc) can help to both get that groundswell of attention going, and to get you a slot in Steam flat out with their reputation.

Both are services very much worth considering, so long as you go with a reputable publisher/partner.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Shalinor posted:

Steam generally won't pay indies much attention unless they've got a pretty decent following already.
I don't know about that. I got to watch Steel Storm make it to Steam and it didn't really have a terribly large following, the main factors appear to have been that it was finished and wasn't crap.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 6, 2011

Darakir
Mar 12, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't know about that. I got to watch Steel Storm make it to Steam and it didn't really have a terribly large following, the main factors appear to have been that it was finished and wasn't crap.

I agree, Steam is not that bad. Try to get into Xbox Live Arcade without having a big publisher to hold your hand...

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I may have asked deeper back in the bowels of the Thread but my brains inherent whimsy has decided I'm going to learn level design while I look for work in anything that'll pay me enough to eat :eng101:

I already know the basics of Hammer Editor, having mocked up a portal level or two to test the tools out

What are some of the more Ubiquitous level design tools? I'm sure I can get UDK and the Crysis SDK but is there anything else worth a drat?

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

Solus posted:

I may have asked deeper back in the bowels of the Thread but my brains inherent whimsy has decided I'm going to learn level design while I look for work in anything that'll pay me enough to eat :eng101:

I already know the basics of Hammer Editor, having mocked up a portal level or two to test the tools out

What are some of the more Ubiquitous level design tools? I'm sure I can get UDK and the Crysis SDK but is there anything else worth a drat?
3DS Max is essential. Even if it's not a level editor, it seems to be used everywhere by level designers.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Magic posted:

3DS Max is essential. Even if it's not a level editor, it seems to be used everywhere by level designers.

Basically knowing how to throw basic shapes together in every 3d package from hammer, max, maya, sketchup is required. The theory may be more important, yeah, but you should be able to show your ideas and theories as well.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Darakir posted:

I agree, Steam is not that bad. Try to get into Xbox Live Arcade without having a big publisher to hold your hand...
XBox Live Arcade is indeed on a whole other level, but the indie internet is papered with complaints that Steam wouldn't give X game the time of day. Being prepared for that eventuality with backup plans is advised, even if it's not a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
High moon truned me down... welp back to The Great Job Hunt (and the unending application to Riot Games)