Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

anivasion posted:

Everyone has a little vine with white flowers on the side of the dialogue box when you talk to them. Each open flower represents their heart level with you. As you raise it, flowers will open and bloom.

Wow. I would never have noticed this. Why couldn't they have just had an info screen with affection stats like they did for a ton of HM games before this one? Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

anivasion posted:

Have you befriended Mako too? It says he needs to have 4 stars to marry her. Maybe that is tied into the event requirements too? It's the only thing I can think of, even though Mako isn't part of the heart event.

I maxed out his friendship. I'm starting to think it's a bug. :ohdear:

e: Okay, I fixed it somehow. I gave a bunch of gifts to other girls, Reina got jealous, I apologized, and then the last heart scene finally happened during our next date. Now we're married v:v:v

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 14, 2011

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Is there anything to do in RF3 after you've completed all the caves? I think they made this game too easy. It's too easy to get poo poo loads of money, and there's really nothing to buy anyways since you automatically get upgrades as the tree grows.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
I had the strangest glitch in ToTT last night. It's year 3, summer and time to harvest my peaches. I shake the tree and apparently, ghost peaches fell off. I say ghost peaches because no matter what I did, I could not pick the drat things up. I tried throwing half my rucksack's contents in frustration to convince the game I had room. I tried smashing them with my hammer to make jam to see if that would fit in my pockets. I repeatedly left the screen, went in my house, tried to drown myself in Kono's river before I gave up and went to bed while my peaches were left to rot on the ground :(

Why can't I pick up the peaches?!

It was an odd isolated incident because I was able to pick up my next harvest of peaches after that. My copy is just glitchy I suppose.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

anivasion posted:

I had the strangest glitch in ToTT last night. It's year 3, summer and time to harvest my peaches. I shake the tree and apparently, ghost peaches fell off. I say ghost peaches because no matter what I did, I could not pick the drat things up. I tried throwing half my rucksack's contents in frustration to convince the game I had room. I tried smashing them with my hammer to make jam to see if that would fit in my pockets. I repeatedly left the screen, went in my house, tried to drown myself in Kono's river before I gave up and went to bed while my peaches were left to rot on the ground :(

Why can't I pick up the peaches?!

It was an odd isolated incident because I was able to pick up my next harvest of peaches after that. My copy is just glitchy I suppose.

Wow that is strange. I guess I'm lucky I haven't had any problems with my copy. Year 6 and counting...

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Maximusi posted:

Is there anything to do in RF3 after you've completed all the caves? I think they made this game too easy. It's too easy to get poo poo loads of money, and there's really nothing to buy anyways since you automatically get upgrades as the tree grows.

Did you do the multiplayer caves in the tree, too? (They can be played solo) Those are significantly harder than the normal game dungeons. Well, the bosses are.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
RF3 was like the longest I've ever played a DS game ever.

I wish RF4 was going to come out sooner =/

Also I'm glad I checked this thread- I grabbed HM ToTT 3D and I was wondering if it would get less slow.

The graphics do look pretty solid in 3D.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Not directly related to HM/RF but it seems appropriate to post here: I just put in an order for Fishing Resort on Wii (which HM/RF fans might wanna check out, incidentally - open-world fishing, light RPG/management elements) and I was reminded of those River King games that Natsume releases every now and again, and how I've never actually played one. Can someone give me an overview of how these work, and which is the best to get? From what I recall they're more RPG-ish than Harvest Moon inasmuch as there's turn-based combat and levelling and whatnot, yeah?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Not directly related to HM/RF but it seems appropriate to post here: I just put in an order for Fishing Resort on Wii (which HM/RF fans might wanna check out, incidentally - open-world fishing, light RPG/management elements) and I was reminded of those River King games that Natsume releases every now and again, and how I've never actually played one. Can someone give me an overview of how these work, and which is the best to get? From what I recall they're more RPG-ish than Harvest Moon inasmuch as there's turn-based combat and levelling and whatnot, yeah?

River King: A Wonderful Journey for the PS2 is pretty rad, despite the Japanese to English translation work being sub-par. There is no turn-based combat in this particular title, though. You pick a character and get set loose to explore and fish. Over time, you unlock/discover new lures, baits, and areas, with the end goal of the game being you catching the titular River King. The fishing mechanic is fun, and the numerous varieties of fish keep things interesting. If you decide to pick it up, make sure the manual is in the case--the area maps in it are vital to some quests (copies of the maps might be available on the Internet somewhere, I guess).

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

I don't think anyone has mentioned the upcoming Rune Factory 4 for the 3DS so I've compiled some interesting facts about the game.

* First off, you can play as a male or as Miku Hatsune a female.

* Like the previous Rune Factory games, your character has amnesia. But instead of being told to go fix up some dumpy farm on the outskirts of town, you get to live as a prince/princess! However, this means that you're in charge of building up the town. You can spend Prince/Princess Points to build things like a blacksmith's or hold festivals.

* The dating system has changed so that you can actually date characters. Marvelous said, "In previous Rune Factories and Harvest Moon as well, you go immediately from being friends to being married. Everyone one has a different opinion of marriage and I felt it was a little bit too sudden. Instead of having that sudden break, we put a dating period within the game that way you can get to know a lot of lovely ladies and decide to who you want to be with.”

* You can grow giant crops. No idea what they do beside maybe winning weigh-off contests.

* You will be able to talk to dragons for some reason. Probably plot related though.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I can't wait to be a pretty princess prince!

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
We've had the same info about RF4 for like half a year now. I'd like to at least have more characters introduced some time soon.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

ThemeMusicC posted:

We've had the same info about RF4 for like half a year now. I'd like to at least have more characters introduced some time soon.

They delayed the release until next year to retool it, so that is why information has been slow to get out. It makes me wonder what they felt needed polishing, as Marvelous usually has no qualms about throwing poo poo out there, bugs and all.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I Watson posted:

They delayed the release until next year to retool it, so that is why information has been slow to get out. It makes me wonder what they felt needed polishing, as Marvelous usually has no qualms about throwing poo poo out there, bugs and all.

Maybe they realized how much people love the RF games over the traditional Harvest Moon games. Now they want to make sure they put a really good game instead of a rehash with a couple extra crops.

EDIT: Don't mean for that to come off as harsh, I just think they've got a really good thing with the RF games now.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 30, 2011

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Apocadall posted:

Maybe they realized how much people love the RF games over the traditional Harvest Moon games. Now they want to make sure they put a really good game instead of a rehash with a couple extra crops.

EDIT: Don't mean for that to come off as harsh, I just think they've got a really good thing with the RF games now.

I agree. It seems like each new HM game is like... a sidestep at best, whereas the RF series has gone from "meh" to "pretty decent" to "hey this is actually really good"

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I am going to grow the poo poo out of those giant turnips.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Updated the OP with that info.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dragongem posted:

I agree. It seems like each new HM game is like... a sidestep at best, whereas the RF series has gone from "meh" to "pretty decent" to "hey this is actually really good"

I think that ultimately they're always releasing a HM game that's got a gimmick of some kind that the others didn't. Oh this one's got two towns, this one's got a bazaar, this one's got extra animals, etc etc.

When really what I think we all want is a solid HM game with good fundamentals and balanced, bug-free gameplay. Maybe they should focus on the basics instead of trying to come up with some new thing it's precursors didn't have.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I think that ultimately they're always releasing a HM game that's got a gimmick of some kind that the others didn't. Oh this one's got two towns, this one's got a bazaar, this one's got extra animals, etc etc.

When really what I think we all want is a solid HM game with good fundamentals and balanced, bug-free gameplay. Maybe they should focus on the basics instead of trying to come up with some new thing it's precursors didn't have.

If it was just that it wouldn't be so bad, but they seem to somehow develop every game in a vacuum. One game will make a change that is unarguably for the better and games released after it won't have it for some reason. Sometimes it feels like they even develop aspects of the same game in a vacuum, like when some game mechanics just don't make sense compared to others.

Basically I'm saying shoddy development is pretty much a hallmark of the HM games and they never seem to put all that much effort into any of them. If they actually take their time and really polish RF4 that's the best thing to be done.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

In concern to the future of the series, I am one of those weirdos who would like to see everything they ever came up with for Harvest Moon thrown into a MMO (that is not a Farmville/Happy Farm clone). It would consume all of my time, ALL OF IT.

The only snag would be having to play with the average Harvest Moon fan on the internets: "OMG I wis there wuz ghey marriage becuz yaoi with bishies is so smexy **^-^**"

I wonder if the new company direction of Marvelous will have an impact on both lines; the delay of RF4 was an interesting move on their end as previously noted.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I wish they would just combine the HM/RF teams and make each game have great farming and great combat and poo poo. But then they couldn't sell us two games instead of one so they would never do that.

Anyway, I just got RF3 and what do I have to do to upgrade poo poo? I'm guessing I go to the blacksmith since they have a forge there but there's never anybody at the forge.

Also, what's a good weapon to use? I was using dual swords but I read that they're not great since you can't use shields. Then I tried both longsword and shortsword and even though longsword does more damage in a wider arc, it's really slow; shortsword is much faster and doesn't do that much less damage (at this point).

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 2, 2011

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I wish they would just combine the HM/RF teams and make each game have great farming and great combat and poo poo. But then they couldn't sell us two games instead of one so they would never do that.

Anyway, I just got RF3 and what do I have to do to upgrade poo poo? I'm guessing I go to the blacksmith since they have a forge there but there's never anybody at the forge.

Also, what's a good weapon to use? I was using dual swords but I read that they're not great since you can't use shields. Then I tried both longsword and shortsword and even though longsword does more damage in a wider arc, it's really slow; shortsword is much faster and doesn't do that much less damage (at this point).

To upgrade your tools, you need to build the forge in your house. I don't remember at the moment how to do that. As for weapons, I would say just use whatever you like. I tended to switch between shortsword and dual swords because I like the faster weapons. I hated the longsword too.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I would like to see them expand on the business aspect of having a farm.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Fru Fru posted:

To upgrade your tools, you need to build the forge in your house. I don't remember at the moment how to do that. As for weapons, I would say just use whatever you like. I tended to switch between shortsword and dual swords because I like the faster weapons. I hated the longsword too.

Also make sure you get your hands on the Rune Skills, which you can either find or buy from Shino at the inn; I think some of the rarer ones (the ones with Blue Icons) you can only find, although I guess Yue has a chance of selling them whenever she shows up too.

Even though Rune Skills are split up by weapon types, you can use any Rune Skill with any weapon in this game; the only problem is that when you use a Rune Skill, you're training your proficiency with the Rune Skill of the weapon it belongs to, not the weapon you're holding, so your growth is a bit stunted.

The best Rune Skill starting out is the Short Sword Power Wave skill, since it's cheap and is a ranged attack.

The Long Sword actually has some of the best Rune Skills if you ask me. Flash Strike turns you into a rushing wall of hitboxes and can hit enemies almost a dozen times in about a second, while Naive Blade will negate any attack that hits you and lets you immediately counter with two powerful strikes.

Basically late in the game once your weapon skills are high enough that you can swing them around without worrying about RP try to get a Rune Skill that does a lot of hits in a short amount of time. The Dual Blade's Twin Attack is another if you want to stick with Dual Blades.

I think I said this before but there is a lot of options to choose from offensive-wise in this game, but you don't really need many of them because combat is kind of easy. I just learned about the ridiculous number of Charge Attacks you can put on your staff, something I never had to bother with, and I'm pretty much done with the game.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I can't think of any aspect of RF3 that is anything more than adequate but for some reason it's just impossible to put down. I don't know how to check my playtime (if I can at all) but I'm sure I've put at least 25 hours in, and I just got it Tuesday.

I got ToTT as well, which I should like a lot more, but I've played maybe a couple hours at most. I think it's that RF3 gives you the freedom to do things whenever you want to do them, while ToTT makes you do them at a certain time, and if you don't do them you're hosed.

All I have left to do in the main story of RF3 is the Unity Festival and then the last dungeon/get married. What is there to do after that? Are there any bonus dungeons or anything?

Finally, gently caress tornados and gently caress Summer. And gently caress soil quality.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Finally, gently caress tornados and gently caress Summer. And gently caress soil quality.
...you lost almost a whole field of crops to a twister, didn't you?

:v: I've been there.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Not almost. And more than once.

At least it's pretty easy to fill your field back up with upgraded tools.

It's the worst in Summer because every crop is like 9+ days to harvest, usually more because the soil quality is always poo poo.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 3, 2011

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If you plant flower seeds (or any crop, but flowers are the cheapest) that are out of season, they'll turn in to dead crops the next day. You can then hoe these dead crops into the soil to improve the soil quality. Using this method, you can raise the soil quality to excellent within a few days.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Oh cool. How long will the soil quality stay that high?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Until you grow something on it. Growing crops on soil are the only way to deplete soil quality. To raise soil quality you can leave the soil fallow, use fertilizer, or hoe in weeds and dead crops. However, letting the soil fallow will only raise it up to a max of normal, I believe.

What I usually do is grow in a field rotation method where I start by planting crops on the right field. After I harvest the crops, I plant out-of-season flowers over the used soil and then I start growing on the left field. By doing this, you can keep the soil quality at excellent at all times.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 4, 2011

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

All I have left to do in the main story of RF3 is the Unity Festival and then the last dungeon/get married. What is there to do after that? Are there any bonus dungeons or anything?

Check the basement of your tree, there's a door there for multiplayer dungeons. However, these are actually able to be played single player, and are randomly generated dungeons with new bosses and new loot (and new spells for the staff if you like those!) As a note, time freezes in these dungeons, so you can sit there as long as you like. You can also take a person with you.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I am going to grow the poo poo out of those giant turnips.

I appreciate you.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
So, if I were going to get one of the following which should it be?

Tale of Two Towns (I have a 3DS, so either version)
Rune Factory 3
Hero of Leaf Valley
Grand Bazaar

I'm not too sure about RF3, I thought the first 2 were OK at best and the dungeon stuff is far less interesting to me than farming and anime wives, but I've heard a lot of good things about this one. I definitely only have time/patience for one Harvest Moon game though, so I'd like to play the best of this lot.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Adam Bowen posted:

The answer to this question will probably never be different no matter how many times it gets asked in this thread, but yeah. If you liked any aspects of the first two RF games and in fact somehow managed to complete them without thinking gently caress THIS GAME over and over, go for RF3.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

Rune Factory 3
Hero of Leaf Valley
Grand Bazaar

I'm not too sure about RF3, I thought the first 2 were OK at best and the dungeon stuff is far less interesting to me than farming and anime wives, but I've heard a lot of good things about this one. I definitely only have time/patience for one Harvest Moon game though, so I'd like to play the best of this lot.

I think the most popular answer is going to be RF3, unless you're really against the RPG aspects.

(Mostly posting to confirm the above post)

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Rune Factory 3
Hero of Leaf Valley
Grand Bazaar

Thirding Rune Factory 3. If not for the game mechanics, then for the fact that Natsume mysteriously made a good localization for a change. The voice acting did not make me want to mute it, and while most every lady is "wacky", at least they had distinct personalities.

Leaf Valley is a Save the Homeland update, so whatever you feel about that, Grand Bazaar's primary concern is well, the bazaar, and Two Towns is the requisite second game on Bazaar's engine.

Two Towns is good if you want to have a game last you a long time, as it will take multiple game years to upgrade everything and woo some of the trickier spouses. I found it kind of middling after everything was said and done though, Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny helped derail that for me as it was more exciting by far.

e: WHERE iS RF4 u GaIS?!?!?!

I Watson fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 12, 2011

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Anyone know of a good online guide or database for Tides? GameFAQs is completely unhelpful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I Watson posted:

e: WHERE iS RF4 u GaIS?!?!?!

Thank god XxWizardxMollyxX14 is on the ball.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

yellowcar posted:

Anyone know of a good online guide or database for Tides? GameFAQs is completely unhelpful.

What did you need help with? http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=141017 is a monster guide, there is a few other threads in that forum that may be helpful.

Fox Mulner
Feb 25, 2001

No wonder this clown died, his lungs were filled with CANDY!
These are also pretty helpful in my opinion.

About halfway through this page is the post
http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=140477&sid=1b9c7abe99e2fb944a721f6354cf0137&start=45

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/119/1199944p1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I Watson posted:

What did you need help with? http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=141017 is a monster guide, there is a few other threads in that forum that may be helpful.

Fox Mulner posted:

These are also pretty helpful in my opinion.

About halfway through this page is the post
http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=140477&sid=1b9c7abe99e2fb944a721f6354cf0137&start=45

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/119/1199944p1.html

I'm looking for lists of events and whatnot involving specific times, days, and places. Stuff that can be easily missed.

I know I'm not in a position to be picky or choosy but good lord, that forum is an eyesore to read. But thanks guys.

• Locked thread