Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

The dates are in the archive but in the beginning it was like 5 times a week I think. Later on it became around 3 updates a week. Now it's at one a year, I believe. If you bitch about this you are indulging in what Onstad calls "entitled whining" and you should be eternally grateful for the occasional pearl he tosses out to us swine. Also give him your money.

The thing with the cookbooks is lovely but complaining about a free webcomic not being updated actually is "entitled whining," whether he asks for donations or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Personally I sort of wish he'd just call an end to the whole thing, and see to getting the rest of his archive published by Dark Horse. A lot of people (me included) would probably pay for it, and it'd be better to just end the thing after a generally high run of quality than a number of eternally stalling attempts at restarting it which only serve to frustrate his remaining readership.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

ChuckDHead posted:

Personally I sort of wish he'd just call an end to the whole thing, and see to getting the rest of his archive published by Dark Horse. A lot of people (me included) would probably pay for it, and it'd be better to just end the thing after a generally high run of quality than a number of eternally stalling attempts at restarting it which only serve to frustrate his remaining readership.

I feel the same way. We had a full decade of celebrating the English language with Onstad, and I'd rather Achewood go out on as high a note as possible than see it limp along like a crippled old dog, just because he feels obligated to his readers/wants to squeeze a few more bucks out of it/whatever. He shouldn't feel chained to Achewood forever, and it would do both him and the strip greater justice to move on at this point.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ubik posted:

I feel the same way. We had a full decade of celebrating the English language with Onstad, and I'd rather Achewood go out on as high a note as possible than see it limp along like a crippled old dog, just because he feels obligated to his readers/wants to squeeze a few more bucks out of it/whatever. He shouldn't feel chained to Achewood forever, and it would do both him and the strip greater justice to move on at this point.

Put Ray down, put Beef and Molly down, put Pat down. Teodor and Cornelius are sold secondhand by Goodwill to 9-year-olds. Lyle is discarded in a booze-soaked dumpster. Phillippe is run over by a truck full of modern tamagotchis. The robots are zorched by the scanners at airport security. Nice Pete is discovered and gets a nice quick execution from a killin' state.

Todd dances on the ashes, coke-filled and glorious. The waves roll in, and wash him out to sea.

Down In Flames, Larry Niven-style.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

glug posted:

Hell there was even some cheesy not really that good comic with an owl who had some human kids he took care of that I was reading for some reason for a long while, and then literally months of no update with no news regarding it/etc, and it's off my daily shortcut list never to return. :(

That was a real shame, because while Daisy Owl felt like a half-baked Achewood at first, it was really finding its footing when it suddenly ceased to update.

If Onstad wants to continue writing Achewood, he should build up a storyline's worth of comics before he begins to post them, as a regular update-to-update schedule isn't working for him anymore. If he wants to call it quits at this point, I don't fault him. I just wish he'd do his readership a favor and lay it out there. I appreciated when he finally posted his explanation for going on hiatus, and hit up the tip jar once I understood where he was coming from.

I will say, I didn't know about the Cookbook II/merch stuff. That's just fuckin' low.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 5, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Put Ray down, put Beef and Molly down, put Pat down. Teodor and Cornelius are sold secondhand by Goodwill to 9-year-olds. Lyle is discarded in a booze-soaked dumpster. Phillippe is run over by a truck full of modern tamagotchis. The robots are zorched by the scanners at airport security. Nice Pete is discovered and gets a nice quick execution from a killin' state.

Just another Tuesday night for Lyle.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

withak posted:

Or Todd.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

withak posted:

If the last page was all black and it just said this in 10pt lettering dead center I think it'd be a great note to go out on.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
:siren:NEW STRIP:siren:

it's been so long since I've done that.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Fillerbunny posted:

I am.... intrigued.

Don't you poo poo out on me again, Onstad, or I swear I'll stop reading your free webcomic once and for all!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I am.... intrigued.

Don't you poo poo out on me again, Onstad, or I swear I'll stop reading your free webcomic once and for all!

You'll be back. They always come back

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fillerbunny posted:

it's been so long since I've done that.

Oh God I checked like an hour ago and there was nothing, I'm so glad to be surprised again.

Looks like Onstad has something big and weird planned, I am intrigued.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yes. I love it when it gets nuts. I hope this keeps up!

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I checked like an hour ago and there was nothing, I'm so glad to be surprised again.

Looks like Onstad has something big and weird planned, I am intrigued.

Came up on my twitter feed :smug:

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Medically speaking, well yes, Ray is partying.

I can get behind a "1 big update every 2 weeks" schedule.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Interesting that the 'tip jar' link is gone. Does anyone know how long Server Beach has been Achewood's hosting service?

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009
Hopefully this ends awkwardly with Ray sucking Hén off in a van.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

ohshititsric posted:

Hopefully this ends awkwardly with Ray sucking Hén off in a van.

But how does he get out of the van?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

GigaPeon posted:

But how does he get out of the van?

We wait almost a year to find out.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
I'll be glad to think of Achewood as a consistent comic again. Welcome back, Onstad!

Incidentally
Nov 11, 2005

free yourself, first thing.
Has a character with a conventionally human face ever been featured before, or is this a new thing?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I will be glad to accept a comic of this quality once a week-ish. "Log party on the floor" made me laugh in only the way Achewood can.

Onstad. Keep it up. Don't let me down, dogg.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Incidentally posted:

Has a character with a conventionally human face ever been featured before, or is this a new thing?

Robert Johnson was featured.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

AfroSpatula posted:

I'll be glad to think of Achewood as a consistent comic again. Welcome back, Onstad!

I'll believe that Achewood is back as a consistent comic when we get two strips in the same month.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Incidentally posted:

Keith Moon's head.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Incidentally posted:

Simon le Cowell

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Incidentally posted:

Emeril's head during The Party.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

David Lynch also showed up a mere year ago, but you might disagree on the "conventionally human" part.

I'm cool with one big update every few weeks, although I'm also signing up for the "when I see two strips in a month I'll believe it" bit. In the meantime, welcome back Onstad. :)

"Medically speaking, well yes, Ray is partying" is my favorite line in this strip. I'm particularly interested in the weird poo poo we're obviously gearing up for. Any club on Planet K is going to be one hell of a trip.

If you look closely at the model, I think it's a mannequin with no arms. You can see the holes where the arms should pop in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The shared vertical border of two panels being the pinstriped wallpaper behind Ray is both very clever and artistically gorgeous. The man knows his craft.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Looks like Onstad has missed the process of making the comic a little. Rather than kicking out a few talking heads strips to ease himself back in, he's went pretty all-out visually (by Achewood standards). It's awesome.

About the human face thing - Keith Moon etc all looked to be some kinda weird traced / photoshop filtered affairs. Any celebrity seems to begin life as a photo that's then converted to a vector. Even if Onstad does draw them freehand, they usually have a weird shading thing going on that's kinda out of place with the clean lines of the rest of the strip. I guess another question could be: is this first completely invented conventional human face in Achewood?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

I guess another question could be: is this first completely invented conventional human face in Achewood?

Does burn-victim Bill Murray from last year count?

/fake edit: There's also caricatured Johnny Cash from way back in 2002.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Tenterhooks posted:

About the human face thing - Keith Moon etc all looked to be some kinda weird traced / photoshop filtered affairs. Any celebrity seems to begin life as a photo that's then converted to a vector. Even if Onstad does draw them freehand, they usually have a weird shading thing going on that's kinda out of place with the clean lines of the rest of the strip. I guess another question could be: is this first completely invented conventional human face in Achewood?

I'm pretty sure she's a mannequin, not a human, though. I guess sentient mannequins are considered to be on the same level as animals when it comes to Onstad's art style?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Was the guy in the Hecho en Mexico helicopter arc human?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hog Butcher posted:

I'm fairly certain he could be classified as,"Oh Jesus what the Christ is that THING?"

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Hog Butcher posted:

Oh, and you just reminded me, Kim Jong Il was also featured.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Interesting that the 'tip jar' link is gone. Does anyone know how long Server Beach has been Achewood's hosting service?
It's not gone, it's just only on the front page, not the archive.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Y'all are forgetting Steven, the waiter who was really strong but too nice to ever get ahead in life.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Android Blues posted:

The shared vertical border of two panels being the pinstriped wallpaper behind Ray is both very clever and artistically gorgeous. The man knows his craft.

Woah I noticed one but not the other one. Thats trippy.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
He is here for a purpose. It is Important.

EDIT: I'm going to donate. I feel Achewood is significant culturally and personally, and now that he's stepping up, it's our turn.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
The devil was another human character in Achewood, as I remember. Or whoever gave Ray his piano skills.

Fren posted:

He is here for a purpose. It is Important.

EDIT: I'm going to donate. I feel Achewood is significant culturally and personally, and now that he's stepping up, it's our turn.

Wait until after he corrects his fraud problems (via delivery, or refund) please. That's what I'm doing.