Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Signature instruments are usually jacked up a little, but $450 is a decent price for any good guitar. You may be able to find an MIM Strat of similar quality for less, though.

The plain old stock Strat is $300-500 new, try some of those out and see if you like the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damage path
Aug 15, 2001
Out of order? FUCK! Even in the future, nothing works!

CalvinDooglas posted:

Signature instruments are usually jacked up a little, but $450 is a decent price for any good guitar. You may be able to find an MIM Strat of similar quality for less, though.

The plain old stock Strat is $300-500 new, try some of those out and see if you like the sound.

Yeah, you and turtle have pretty much convinced me not to get the Jimmie Vaughan. I listened to some videos comparing SSS to HSS and I think I definitely will want the humbucker in the bridge. Anything else I should be looking for?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

damage path posted:

Yeah, you and turtle have pretty much convinced me not to get the Jimmie Vaughan. I listened to some videos comparing SSS to HSS and I think I definitely will want the humbucker in the bridge. Anything else I should be looking for?

I don't recommend against the JV, but I'd do some comparisons to see if you can't find the sound you want for half the price with a stock instrument. The signature Fenders are usually over $700 new, but it's hard to say how much of that is the signature and how much is the quality.

If you're not beholden to the Fender sound, check out some other brands, too. Personally, I like Yamaha guitars a lot, though I'm not sure they make middle price range ones anymore.

Higher-price Epiphones are also decent instruments, with a pretty different sound from Fenders, but definitely in the Classic Rock palette. Hell, maybe you'll find that you really enjoy a used Godin or some other obscure brand.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I don't recommend against the JV, but I'd do some comparisons to see if you can't find the sound you want for half the price with a stock instrument. The signature Fenders are usually over $700 new, but it's hard to say how much of that is the signature and how much is the quality.

If you're not beholden to the Fender sound, check out some other brands, too. Personally, I like Yamaha guitars a lot, though I'm not sure they make middle price range ones anymore.

Higher-price Epiphones are also decent instruments, with a pretty different sound from Fenders, but definitely in the Classic Rock palette. Hell, maybe you'll find that you really enjoy a used Godin or some other obscure brand.

As I love to say in this thread, go to a shop, get your hands on some (or your mates hands) and just spend an hour or two going through some guitars, trying them out, maybe that cool sounding one on youtube is super heavy and has a fat wide neck that you just can't get comfortable with, and maybe that one that sounded poo poo, actually sounds ace in real life and was just played by a retard. You'll never know until you try.

Also, if you are new at this, understand far far far more of your sound than you think comes from your amp rather than your guitar, don't skimp out on it. I know gently caress all about amps though so can't really give advice, but if you're spending about $300 on a guitar, you'll want to spend about $200 on an amp (although if money aint a massive problem its probably worth getting a better 2nd hand amp as it'll retain its value pretty well if you pack it all in c.f. someone else's advice)

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I'm renaming the F chord to gently caress because it makes me want to loving throw my guitar out a loving window.

Is it worth asking you cats if their's a common, reliable capo? I've never had one before and I don't want to waste money.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

Is it worth asking you cats if their's a common, reliable capo? I've never had one before and I don't want to waste money.

I've honestly never used a bad capo, including ones I've found in my instrument bags that I had no memory of the origin. Hell, if you have a couple rubber bands and like a pencil you can make one that's totally serviceable.

I hated F too until I realized it's really easy to fret it like C chord by adding your pinky on the D string, 3rd fret, move your middle finger up one string to the G string, same fret, and then just flatten your index finger down to cover the first frets of B and E. Mute the bottom E string or try to hit the first fret with your thumb. You're hitting the same notes as if you were playing it as a barre, but it's way easier.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

I'm renaming the F chord to gently caress because it makes me want to loving throw my guitar out a loving window.

Get an adjustable one, I have one of those that's like a strap with a set of teeth it can lock into and it's always either too loose or tight enough to bend a couple of strings sharp. I think people like Shubbs for pricier ones, but a lot of people are wild for the Planet Waves NS Capo (the black aluminium one is best apparently, not the Lite)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nearly every single thing Planet Waves makes is amazing, so I'd go for one of theirs as a first choice yeah, that said, I have a kyser capo and it's what you'd think of when you imagine the tank of the capo world.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Thanks a lot for the help on both counts.

Edit: I know the capo won't help with it. I'd be grabbing it for other things.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 29, 2011

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Capo's not gonna help you with F at the first position

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I'm trying to work out a decent acoustic arrangement for this song with chords, but I'm having a terrible time of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZtx0MKkh4

I've already worked out a way to fingerpick it pretty well, but I don't really know where I'd begin with thinking of it in chords. I'm trying to find a post from way back when that suggested finding the bass note and going from there, but even by figuring those out, I can't seem to make it work. Any suggestions?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

most of it is E and B. There are already chords, they're just arpeggiated.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You mean making an interesting arrangement or just working out the chords at all? The easiest way to find them is to look at the notes you're playing and finding the chord which uses them, or at least the main notes - this is personal taste really.

If you want to start with the roots it starts off going between A and E, and you can try major and minor versions of each to see which works. The A one has a certain melancholy sound to it that sounds like a maj7 chord, and the lead guitar is going between G# (the 7th in Amaj7) and F#, which is the 6th. It sounds like the rhythm guitar is just playing Amaj7 but you could go between that and A6 if you want for your arrangement - x02224 and x02222 might be good shapes to use for that.

The E chord doesn't quite sound right as E major but it doesn't sound minor either, and the lead guitar is going F# (2nd) and E, with a D# at the end (7th), so Esus2 is worth a try and seems to work well! You could add the 7th in there too - try x7997x and x7987x for an idea of it (or you could leave the low E open too).

The next bit seems to go G# -> A on the roots. If we assume we're in the key of E here then G# would be a minor chord, which works, but the lead guitar is playing D# C# F which are the 5th, 4th and 2nd of G# - kinda dodging that minor 3rd a lot! We can try G#sus2add4 which sounds complicated but it's basically switching the 3rd for the 2nd and including the 4th as well, 446644 works (although including the higher strings sounds a bit much). We can try adding the 7th too which sounds nice, 444644 - which I think is G9sus4?

Then the move to A, and the lead guitar's going between C# and B (the 3rd and 2nd) so x02220 and x02200 work (or x02120 and x02100 for the maj7 versions), and then an E chord with the lead playing the 5th (B) and 3rd (G#) so a straight up E major chord works there. It might help to stick with the non maj7 versions of the A and E chords here just to contrast between the verse and chorus sections and make your arrangement feel more interesting.

So that's:
Amaj7 and A6 (x02224 and x02222)
Esus2 and Emaj7sus2 (x7997x and x7987x)

G#sus2add4 and G9sus4 (446644 and 444644)
A and Asus2 (x02220 and x02200)
E or Emaj7 (022100 and 021100, or 076800 which sounds way better)

Also if you assume the key is E major (since the roots imply it, the E major chord sounds like home, and the song finished on it and sounds resolved and complete) we get E F#m G#m A B C#m D#dim as our chords (or Emaj7 F#m7 G#m7 Amaj7 B7 C#m7 D#7b5 if we add the 7ths), and the chords we get for our roots are pretty similar to the ones I worked out up there - the main difference is dropping the 3rd on some chords to lose the major or minor quality, and swapping it out for the 2nd or 4th, so theory can get you pretty close too. And these chords as they are will all work fine, they'll just have a different feel which might be something you like for your arrangement anyway. Also feel free to move around the fretboard and try different voicings to make it sound more interesting!

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Hey! Thank you so much for the informative post. I went through it and I think I understand what you mean by working through the key of E when finding notes for the song. What do you think of this?

Amaj7->A6
but then
E add 9 (022102) followed by
Emaj (022100) with some (022140) (is that chord an Emaj7?)

I was trying to work through the roots on the next bit, but I came up with F#, A, G# (awesomely all within the key of E, which is good for confidence) but I don't know how to go about fitting these to chords. I'm starting with F#m, A, and G#m, but it doesn't sound quite there

I figured the E add 9 just through experimentation. How did you come up with the chords you used? Is there a way to go about it, or is it just ear training to figure out how adding a 2nd and dropping a 3rd will effect the chord (in the case of that G#sus2 down there)?

Thanks again!!

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 1, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

No probs! My working was pretty much exactly what I put, sometimes the chords just didn't sound very major-y or minor-y (which is the quality the 3rd always brings), so I tried leaving that out and comparing the sound to the recording - the sus2 is always a good go-to for trying that out if it sounds like there's more than just a root and 5th in there (a power chord basically). Plus the lead guitar tended to avoid the 3rds of each chord, emphasising the 4th and the 2nd more, so that was a good clue for what to try in each case.

There's an element of ear training in there for sure, just for being able to listen and go 'hmm my major chord doesn't sound quite right', but I'm definitely not good enough to hear it and know exactly what chord it should be. With experience you get a kind of inkling though, like I had a feeling that first chord would be a maj7 just from the melancholy sound of it. Some people would recognise it instantly, I just had more of an intuition. A lot of it's playing around though, trying to hear notes in the song and find them on the guitar, and try and incorporate that into your chord and build up the sound you hear - so trial and error's definitely involved, for me at least!

Also I think I tend to try barre chords a lot as a place to start - get the root note, make a barre chord for it, try major and minor and see if they sound right. If major sounds too happy, try a maj7 if it has that melancholy jazzy sound. If minor sounds too sad, try min7 which tends to temper it a bit. If it's more neutral and 'cooler sounding' I guess, try your sus2 and sus4 which add a bit of colour without committing much to bounciness or sadness. You can whip through all of these pretty quickly with barre chords just to get an idea of the basis of your chord, and then start looking at what sounds you hear in the song that you need to make sure are present in your chord. At the end of the day it's as accurate as your hearing, so if it sounds right it is right - until you're good enough to notice what's wrong ;)

Yeah your Eadd9 -> E works great too - the only difference is that my chords were sus2, they left out the 3rd completely (in the verse parts at least) so try comparing that and see which sounds best to you (and I'm not saying mine are correct here, there was a lot of noise going on while I was doing this). Try playing your chords with the G string muted so you lose the major 3rd, and see if that sounds better or worse. I should have mentioned too, the reason I did that x7997x voicing is so you could do the F# -> E -> D# bit the lead is playing by going x7997x -> x799xx -> x798xx which means the highest string you're playing is moving through those notes, which is what you're doing in your chords too on the top string (except the D# at the end, 4th fret on the B string if you want to incorporate it in your chords)

/longpost

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

baka kaba posted:

No probs! My working was pretty much exactly what I put, sometimes the chords just didn't sound very major-y or minor-y (which is the quality the 3rd always brings), so I tried leaving that out and comparing the sound to the recording - the sus2 is always a good go-to for trying that out if it sounds like there's more than just a root and 5th in there (a power chord basically). Plus the lead guitar tended to avoid the 3rds of each chord, emphasising the 4th and the 2nd more, so that was a good clue for what to try in each case.

There's an element of ear training in there for sure, just for being able to listen and go 'hmm my major chord doesn't sound quite right', but I'm definitely not good enough to hear it and know exactly what chord it should be. With experience you get a kind of inkling though, like I had a feeling that first chord would be a maj7 just from the melancholy sound of it. Some people would recognise it instantly, I just had more of an intuition. A lot of it's playing around though, trying to hear notes in the song and find them on the guitar, and try and incorporate that into your chord and build up the sound you hear - so trial and error's definitely involved, for me at least!

Also I think I tend to try barre chords a lot as a place to start - get the root note, make a barre chord for it, try major and minor and see if they sound right. If major sounds too happy, try a maj7 if it has that melancholy jazzy sound. If minor sounds too sad, try min7 which tends to temper it a bit. If it's more neutral and 'cooler sounding' I guess, try your sus2 and sus4 which add a bit of colour without committing much to bounciness or sadness. You can whip through all of these pretty quickly with barre chords just to get an idea of the basis of your chord, and then start looking at what sounds you hear in the song that you need to make sure are present in your chord. At the end of the day it's as accurate as your hearing, so if it sounds right it is right - until you're good enough to notice what's wrong ;)

Yeah your Eadd9 -> E works great too - the only difference is that my chords were sus2, they left out the 3rd completely (in the verse parts at least) so try comparing that and see which sounds best to you (and I'm not saying mine are correct here, there was a lot of noise going on while I was doing this). Try playing your chords with the G string muted so you lose the major 3rd, and see if that sounds better or worse. I should have mentioned too, the reason I did that x7997x voicing is so you could do the F# -> E -> D# bit the lead is playing by going x7997x -> x799xx -> x798xx which means the highest string you're playing is moving through those notes, which is what you're doing in your chords too on the top string (except the D# at the end, 4th fret on the B string if you want to incorporate it in your chords)

/longpost

Thanks, this is really good advice.

Does anyone know a good resource for listening to lots of inversions and practicing their identification?
This seems incredibly comprehensive http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-chord/95ybbyyy

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I found this not long ago and it's fantastic, probably the best one I've ever used:

http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ear_training/main/

I've even set it up to play random patterns so I can try and repeat them myself, it pretty much does everything I've ever wanted :swoon:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I am about to pull the trigger on a used Epiphone Les Paul 100 with amp and pedal. Going tomorrow to meet the guy to check out the guitar and equipment.

All in Canadian Dollars.

Epiphone Les Paul 100 - $150 (retails for $275)
marshall MGCDR15 amp - $50 (he paid 145)
digitech rp 80 pedal - $20 (he paid 100)

I'm wondering if this is a good deal? I don't want to spend much more than $220 for a starter kit, and anything new is going to be of lesser quality, from what I have seen. As long as everything works on the guitar, amp, and pedal. and from the videos I have seen online, it is a decent guitar, especially for a starter.

I should also note that I have never played guitar before.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Hamelekim posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I am about to pull the trigger on a used Epiphone Les Paul 100 with amp and pedal. Going tomorrow to meet the guy to check out the guitar and equipment.

All in Canadian Dollars.

Epiphone Les Paul 100 - $150 (retails for $275)
marshall MGCDR15 amp - $50 (he paid 145)
digitech rp 80 pedal - $20 (he paid 100)

I'm wondering if this is a good deal? I don't want to spend much more than $220 for a starter kit, and anything new is going to be of lesser quality, from what I have seen. As long as everything works on the guitar, amp, and pedal. and from the videos I have seen online, it is a decent guitar, especially for a starter.

I should also note that I have never played guitar before.

Obviously check it out make sure its all good but thats a nice deal for a start up set. Be aware that with marshall, you generally sound the marshall way or no way, they aint known for versatility. But gently caress it, its $50, if it goes to poo poo you should be able to sell everything for what you paid, if you like it you'll buy a better amp before long anyway. Start saving now so you have 500-1000 when you actually want the new amp, and if you don't end up wanting it, again, gently caress it, party time.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Obviously check it out make sure its all good but thats a nice deal for a start up set. Be aware that with marshall, you generally sound the marshall way or no way, they aint known for versatility. But gently caress it, its $50, if it goes to poo poo you should be able to sell everything for what you paid, if you like it you'll buy a better amp before long anyway. Start saving now so you have 500-1000 when you actually want the new amp, and if you don't end up wanting it, again, gently caress it, party time.

Thanks for the info,I thought it was a pretty decent deal. The guy is moving out of the country and can't take it with him. I could probably drive the price down a bit lower, but what the hell, seems like a good deal.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hamelekim posted:

Thanks for the info,I thought it was a pretty decent deal. The guy is moving out of the country and can't take it with him. I could probably drive the price down a bit lower, but what the hell, seems like a good deal.

It would help to bring someone along who knows how to play, just so they have an idea of what to look for, but this might help you look it over:

http://www.blguitar.com/lesson/beginner/buying_used_guitars.html

Basically you want to check there's no serious damage, no buzzing, and that all the electronics work without any audible problems. Same goes for the amp - turn all the knobs, try everything

slapsack
Mar 3, 2006
Why are people so skeptical of things that are out of the ordinary? Instead of being open to POSSIBILITIES, most people just jump straight to the circle jerk so they can comfortably fit in. It's completely fair and understandable to say that there is
Question experienced players:

When a few years have passed, do your fingers start picking up things you've never tried before more quickly?

For example, say you've mastered 6 keys in all of their modes (not sure what that means yet). When approaching the next key or pattern or chord, lick, whatever - does the time it takes to go from "I have never moved my fingers this way" to "I own this" get shorter? Or is it like starting afresh every time?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Some things yeah, but some things will still trip you up. Going from one kind of technique to another is where you'll usually trip up. New patterns and scales and stuff get easier to learn as time goes on, but if you're trying to learn a different way of playing, like slap or touchstyle you're going to feel like a doofus.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

slapsack posted:

Question experienced players:

When a few years have passed, do your fingers start picking up things you've never tried before more quickly?

For example, say you've mastered 6 keys in all of their modes (not sure what that means yet). When approaching the next key or pattern or chord, lick, whatever - does the time it takes to go from "I have never moved my fingers this way" to "I own this" get shorter? Or is it like starting afresh every time?

It's more about muscle memory, if you're doing a particular movement or technique that you're not used to, it'll take time to perfect - but the better you are the more agile and strong your fingers will be. It's a bit like being a gymnast (PROBABLY), when you're starting out you're going slow and building up strength and balance and every new technique is a difficult set of movements your body's not used to. As you improve and you just get better at getting your body to do what you want, new techniques will build on that and come much more naturally.

Honestly if you're talking about mastering keys and modes you're talking about having a good grasp of music theory, so at that point you'll be engaging your mind at least as much as your fingers, so it'll be less about rote memorisation of scale patterns and more about knowing your keys inside out and what notes you're playing, what you're going to be playing next, and thinking of a good way to get there. The actual mechanics of playing don't necessarily change much, and if you can play something in one key you can play it in another since guitar just requires you to move your hand up or down the neck a bit.

I hope nobody here's a gymnast now

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

The learning curve gets shorter with experience, but the trade off is that your bad habits are harder to break. The more time you spend learning new things and mastering them, the easier it gets to pick up new ones. Just make sure to do them right from the start.

Though you probably pulled out 6 as an arbitrary number, getting all 12 diatonic scales down is one of the best things you can do to make learning new things easier.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well I hit a problem already with my new guitar. I was playing and all of a sudden the D string went completely limp. At first I thought the string broke, but then I notice that the piece of the bridge (Edge III) that the string bolts into has completely slipped off the fine tuning screw and is standing up about 1/4 an inch. I can't seem to get it to go back on.

Did I break my new guitar already?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Rolo posted:

Well I hit a problem already with my new guitar. I was playing and all of a sudden the D string went completely limp. At first I thought the string broke, but then I notice that the piece of the bridge (Edge III) that the string bolts into has completely slipped off the fine tuning screw and is standing up about 1/4 an inch. I can't seem to get it to go back on.

Did I break my new guitar already?

Can you get a pic? It sounds like something just slipped out of alignment, but I'm not familiar enough with the Edge III to just guesstimate.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'll get one tonight when I get home.

DaJe
Feb 3, 2008
So as some of you may potentially remember, I made a post a while back asking about getting myself a decent guitar, and what I should do, what I should look for, etc. Well, Guitar Center had a black friday sale all weekend after thanksgiving, so I figured I'd go in there on Saturday night and at least look around, and maybe go back the next day. Despite feeling intimidated, the salesman who helped me was very nice and gave me a lot of personal recommendations and helped me out, even if I had no idea what I was talking about.

I ended up going towards an electric acosutic, and went into the acoustic room at Guitar Center to try out guitars for at least half an hour. Just nothing but picking up all different guitars of various types, designs, looks, and seeing how they both feel in my hands and how they sound. Then one caught my eyes. As soon as I picked it up and gave it a strum, I knew it was a match for me. it just felt right, and it sounded the best out of everything else I touched so far.

I ended up walking out that night with a Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QI (and here's a few pictures of it if you don't mind)

I love everything about it, even the electronic panel with all the knobs (sort of has a steampunk-ish look to me I think). It's a beautiful guitar, and sound absolutely wonderful, and I managed to get it for $499 (I checked online on my phone while at the store and everywhere else had the same price listed).

I'm not so sure about the strings on it though. They're light, and I'm used to using medium strings. Because of this, I seem to occasionally have an issue with holding down the strings firmly enough. I'm sort of thinking of restringing this guitar. I can do it no problem, and have stringed a guitar before. Plus a friend recommended me some Ernie Ball strings, and I love how they sound, and I think they'd go great on this. I just don't like being wasteful, and feel like it'd be tossing something useful away be removing the strings already on it.

Is it worth it to restring it? If I restring it, would I perhaps need the bridge lowered a tiny bit to compensate for the higher gauge of wire used in the strings? These are my main questions for now. Sorry if I went on a bit too much.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok heres a picture of the problem with some mspaint arrows. As you can see the part of the bridge that holds the D string is raised and the tuning peg (which raises or lowers them) does nothing now.

I got it a week ago and I think I can still return it if I have to.

Edit: After looking at the picture though I'm wondering if the hex bolt near the pickup may have slipped?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 4, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It looks a little odd that that's moved so far forward. Try blocking the bridge if you can, loosen the string, and move the saddle back somewhere between the A and G string saddles. Tighten the bolt again, tune up, and check your intonation. You might have to loosen the string and adjust the position of the saddle again to get it intonated at least approximately right.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

I've been playing guitar for a long time, so maybe this is the wrong thread, but one thing I've never been able to develop is the ability to just be able play a melody I hear in my head. Like, if I'm listening to a song, I can improvise a solo in my head, and can effortlessly hum or whistle that solo, but can't effortlessly play those same notes on the guitar. If you give me a minute I can figure out how to play it, but it isn't spontaneous. This usually means that when I try to improvise, I just get locked into one of the scales that I know. I'd like to be able to improvise on the guitar the same way I can improvise humming or whistling. Is there some exercise or series of exercises that would help develop that ability? I understand it might take a lot of practice, but I'm not even sure what to practice.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I.G. posted:

I've been playing guitar for a long time, so maybe this is the wrong thread, but one thing I've never been able to develop is the ability to just be able play a melody I hear in my head. Like, if I'm listening to a song, I can improvise a solo in my head, and can effortlessly hum or whistle that solo, but can't effortlessly play those same notes on the guitar. If you give me a minute I can figure out how to play it, but it isn't spontaneous. This usually means that when I try to improvise, I just get locked into one of the scales that I know. I'd like to be able to improvise on the guitar the same way I can improvise humming or whistling. Is there some exercise or series of exercises that would help develop that ability? I understand it might take a lot of practice, but I'm not even sure what to practice.
Interval ear training might help. There's a program available for free online that play intervals and quizes you on them... but I don't remember exactly what it was called. It was a more fleshed out version of something like this:

http://www.teoria.com/exercises/ie.php

I suppose you could try to listen to the notes played and replicate them as quickly as you can on your guitar.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 4, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dolphin posted:

Interval ear training might help. There's a program available for free online that play intervals and quizes you on them... but I don't remember exactly what it was called. It was a more fleshed out version of something like this:

http://www.teoria.com/exercises/ie.php

I suppose you could try to listen to the notes played and replicate them as quickly as you can on your guitar.

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval
This'd be it, yeah?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pretentious Turtle posted:

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval
This'd be it, yeah?
Haha, yeah that's it. I forgot that it was there.

slapsack
Mar 3, 2006
Why are people so skeptical of things that are out of the ordinary? Instead of being open to POSSIBILITIES, most people just jump straight to the circle jerk so they can comfortably fit in. It's completely fair and understandable to say that there is
Turtle, baka, Calvin, much thanks. Very helpful posts!

It definitely seems that the better you get, the better you get. I notice that even when focusing on certain exercises for extended periods, my overall guitar skill increases along with it. My index finger finally decided to learn how to barre the first fret without any buzz or muting. This has freed up my focus to other things now that my sound is much cleaner.

The subconscious mind and muscle memory are truly amazing things. That feeling when whatever you have been practicing becomes automatic is better than sex.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I.G. posted:

Ear training will never hurt, but that's not necessarily the problem. Being able to "bust a move" is mostly a confidence and practice thing. You have to sit down and practice improvising. Don't worry about what you're playing. You just need to spend a lot of time improvising.

Of course, having all 12 scales ready to go, your arpeggios, and good ears can only help, too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

slapsack posted:

Turtle, baka, Calvin, much thanks. Very helpful posts!

It definitely seems that the better you get, the better you get. I notice that even when focusing on certain exercises for extended periods, my overall guitar skill increases along with it. My index finger finally decided to learn how to barre the first fret without any buzz or muting. This has freed up my focus to other things now that my sound is much cleaner.

The subconscious mind and muscle memory are truly amazing things. That feeling when whatever you have been practicing becomes automatic is better than sex.

What about automatic sex? :v: Maybe not

Yeah exercises are really useful, so's warming up before you play just to get your fingers agile and stretched - if you're having a bad playing day taking five or ten minutes to run through some exercises can make a world of difference.

Also for anyone doing ear training I'm going to recommend this again:

http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ear_training/main/

It's the best one I've ever seen, it does pretty much everything you could want. Personally I like to set it to come out with 4 or 5-note melodies and then wait a bit while I try and repeat it myself on the instrument, then it pops up the correct answer and moves on. You can set it to do a lot of other things though

And that Seagull's real nice, I've always liked those more elegant headstocks. It's probably worth restringing if it doesn't feel right to you, going up a gauge or two shouldn't make any big adjustments necessary, but it might be worth going along to a trusted guitar tech and getting them to set it up (you could ask the guy you bought it from if it's already been done) and they'll restring the guitar for you and make any necessary adjustments.

If it makes you feel any better those strings that are on there are probably old anyway, from sitting around in a guitar store and being played for however long

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pretentious Turtle posted:

It looks a little odd that that's moved so far forward. Try blocking the bridge if you can, loosen the string, and move the saddle back somewhere between the A and G string saddles. Tighten the bolt again, tune up, and check your intonation. You might have to loosen the string and adjust the position of the saddle again to get it intonated at least approximately right.

Yoho, that fixed it! The saddle had just come loose. Sort of good that it did otherwise I wouldn't have learned how to check intonation.

If I do end up going to a guitar shop to get the intonation set up, what is a decent price to pay to get just that done?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Rolo posted:

Yoho, that fixed it! The saddle had just come loose. Sort of good that it did otherwise I wouldn't have learned how to check intonation.

If I do end up going to a guitar shop to get the intonation set up, what is a decent price to pay to get just that done?

basic setup should be $50 or less