Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not like boeing products have a better safety record either, i really don't get the safety/quality dickwaving that goes on about airliners

That's my point. Apart from a couple of statistical oddities, the worldwide accident rates for Boeing and Airbus are so close (and so low) that can be thought of as exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Should just paint the rotor hubs instead. Fuckin classy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq21MLP8gYI

Tip lights show up better under NVGs.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
They also remind you HOW loving BIG those rotors are.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

grover posted:

What about Canadair and Embraer?

CRJs are poo poo, ERJs aren't much better, E-170/175/190/195 own-zone.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Inspiration for the A-10 perhapse?

Heavy, slow, dual engine, pilot sits in an armoured bathtub, giant gently caress-off gun!

HS-129

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Blistex posted:

Inspiration for the A-10 perhapse?

Heavy, slow, dual engine, pilot sits in an armoured bathtub, giant gently caress-off gun!

HS-129

The Panzerknacker provided part of the inspiration for the A-10...the A-X project was basically supposed to combine the best attributes of the Il-2, the Hs-129, and the Skyraider, with a dash of the Ju-87G being thrown in (Hans-Ulrich Rudel's Stuka Pilot was required reading for the dudes working on the A-X).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not like boeing products have a better safety record either, i really don't get the safety/quality dickwaving that goes on about airliners

I just like Boeing design philosophies better. Cable and pulley with mechanical linkage is a lot more comforting to me than fly-by-wire. Not that it's a bad or poorly engineered system it's just that I feel more comfortable with mechanically-driven controls. Also, Boeing jet's look way better. Except the 757. That's just a gangly fucker.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

HeyEng posted:

I just like Boeing design philosophies better. Cable and pulley with mechanical linkage is a lot more comforting to me than fly-by-wire. Not that it's a bad or poorly engineered system it's just that I feel more comfortable with mechanically-driven controls. Also, Boeing jet's look way better. Except the 757. That's just a gangly fucker.
The only difference between a 777 and an A330 with regards to the flight controls is the fact that Boeing put in an old fashioned arrangement with fully artificial feedback like a simulator. So no mechanical link for Boeing anymore either.

However, Boeing's control laws leave more up to the pilot, and are simpler and less restrictive. You can stall and barrel roll a 777, for instance.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tsuru posted:

The only difference between a 777 and an A330 with regards to the flight controls is the fact that Boeing put in an old fashioned arrangement with fully artificial feedback like a simulator. So no mechanical link for Boeing anymore either.

However, Boeing's control laws leave more up to the pilot, and are simpler and less restrictive. You can stall and barrel roll a 777, for instance.

Yea, forgot about the 777. Also didnt know about the FBW softened restrictions.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

HeyEng posted:

Yea, forgot about the 777. Also didnt know about the FBW softened restrictions.
Airbus and Boeing really aren't that different. It's also not even like Boeing is late to the game: Airbus' first full FBW plane (the A320) came out in 1988, and Boeing's first full FBW plane (the 777) in 1994. Even before that, Boeing and Airbus alike implemented alpha protection functions to the autothrottle systems of their planes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

HeyEng posted:

Also, Boeing jet's look way better. Except the 757. That's just a gangly fucker.

I live right by a small airport where most of the traffic is 737s and A320s. The 737s look more awkward to me because of the shape of their engines - looks like they've had an accident.

e. Also if you fly cattle class in an A380 make sure you don't pick a window seat on the lower deck - no where for your legs to go.

dissss fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 4, 2011

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

dissss posted:

e. Also if you fly cattle class in an A380 make sure you don't pick a window seat on the lower deck - no where for your legs to go.

I flew to Singapore on one of Singapore Airlines A380s at the overwing exit window seat; gently caress it gets cold there. The return on their 777-300ER on the overwing exit seat was comfortable, didnt need a blanket or 5 to stay human.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I had a similarly chilly experience on an AA 752 on the lovely Atlantic route. Had to wear two blankets and I'm definitely not a bitch about the cold.

how is x or y more comforting when x or y is statistically equivalently safe?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Window seats are often cold, and exit row seats especially so. I don't think there's a draft- positive pressure will cause hot air to leak out, not the other way around- but there there seems to be a lot less insulation and a lot more aluminum surrounding all the doors.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how is x or y more comforting when x or y is statistically equivalently safe?

I keep hearing that but I don't know that it's true.

http://www.airdisaster.com/statistics/

Model Rate Events No. Flights Rank
Airbus A300 1.13 9 8.0 Million 12
Airbus A310 1.85 5 2.7 Million 13
Airbus A319/320/321 0.67 4 6.0 Million 7
Boeing 727 0.66 46 70.0 Million 6
Boeing 737 0.62 47 76.0 Million 5
Boeing 747 1.62 24 14.8 Million 14
Boeing 757 0.56 4 7.2 Million 4
Boeing 767 0.46 3 6.5 Million 3
Saab 340 0.33 3 9.0 Million 1

That's only considering events with fatalities.

Edit:

quote:

In conclusion, gently caress you.

Dear Lord, man, what crawled up your rear end and died?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 4, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Interesting statistics. Is there a breakdown somewhere about the incidents these aircraft were involved in? FYI, use can use FIXED or CODE to display that cleaner.

code:
Model 	        Rate 	Events 	No. Flights 	Rank
Airbus A300 	1.13 	9 	8.0 Million 	12
Airbus A310 	1.85 	5 	2.7 Million 	13
Airbus A320 	0.67 	4 	6.0 Million 	7
Boeing 727 	0.66 	46 	70.0 Million 	6
Boeing 737 	0.62 	47 	76.0 Million 	5
Boeing 747 	1.62 	24 	14.8 Million 	14
Boeing 757 	0.56 	4 	7.2 Million 	4
Boeing 767 	0.46 	3 	6.5 Million 	3
Saab 340 	0.33 	3 	9.0 Million 	1
I suppose the moral of the story is don't fly in 747s or A310s? Regardless, you're still more likely to die in the car on the way to the airport than in a plane crash.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 4, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

so you're sold on their rate metric being statistically significant in a difference between 0.67 for the A320 and 0.62 for the 737?

because i'm not, but i'm too lazy to drop the data in to a statistical processing suite because i am pretty confident that there's no statistically significant difference between those two numbers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Now control for plane age, pilot training, airline safety standards, and the engineering and crew management advances made in the last forty years. For grins, let's look at fatal incidents between 12/3/2001 and 12/3/2010 in Part 121 air carrier operation as recorded by the US NTSB (follow along at http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/index.aspx ), and ignoring stuff like "belt loader driver gets wedged under airplane:"

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20030110X00049&key=1 bad maintenance
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20041020X01659&key=1 pilot distraction
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20051213X01964&key=1 pilot training
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20060106X00018&key=1 bad maintenance
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20060131X00140&key=1 :catstare:
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20060828X01244&key=1 pilot distraction
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20090213X13613&key=1 pilot training and distraction

Unlike automotive safety, which is mostly on the engineers that design cars and roads (because nobody loving knows how to drive), air safety has a substantial crew training and management component, and a well-established anonymous reporting component to assist in the design of the crew training and management systems.

When operated by any airline licensed to operate in the US, Canada, or Europe, any model of plane is so safe to not even be worth the effort of thinking about whether you'd be safer on their competitor's model.

In conclusion, gently caress you.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
edit: ^ yeah

grover posted:

I suppose the moral of the story is don't fly in 747s or A310s? Regardless, you're still more likely to die in the car on the way to the airport than in a plane crash.

And just like a car I don't think you could contribute the design to accident rate from raw statistics. I'd venture data mining would show incidents more related to operating environment and operators themselves.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Don't know why, but I've always been fond of the Me-110s with the Wespe paint scheme...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\/\ You have good taste!

Me-410 (Basically a 210 with all the kinks ironed out).

Fast, maneuverable, hard hitting, and able to carry a significant bombload.

410 Glamour video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvkbIJWSRI
110 + 410 vs. B17's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQeAMO_fh-g&feature=related

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

In the case of the A300 that also appears to include the Iran Air flight that was shot down and some hijackings that resulted in fatalities. Pretty significant when we're talking about 9 events.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

dissss posted:

In the case of the A300 that also appears to include the Iran Air flight that was shot down and some hijackings that resulted in fatalities. Pretty significant when we're talking about 9 events.

Says right in the page: "Hijackings are excluded."

That's a good question. Maybe they're double-counting incidents in which people died on another plane, but that would be dumb.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 4, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Okay then where did the other 3 fatal events come from?

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view_manu_details.cgi?aircraft=A300
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A300#Accidents_and_incidents

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Phanatic posted:

That's a good question. Maybe they're double-counting incidents in which people died on another plane, but that would be dumb.

so you're using questionably validated data to support a not-mathematically sound thesis

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so you're using questionably validated data to support a not-mathematically sound thesis

I think you're confusing me with someone who's arguing a particular case. Maybe if you scroll back up, you'll see where I mentioned that Boeing FCS aren't all that different from Airbus. Calm down, have some dip.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

your thesis is "maybe there is statistical significance" when there's almost certainly not and you're not actually doing anything to show it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:catstare: indeed

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

E: ^^ Holy God :psyduck:

iyaayas01 posted:

The Panzerknacker provided part of the inspiration for the A-10...the A-X project was basically supposed to combine the best attributes of the Il-2, the Hs-129, and the Skyraider, with a dash of the Ju-87G being thrown in (Hans-Ulrich Rudel's Stuka Pilot was required reading for the dudes working on the A-X).

Neat, I didn't know they were actually thinking historically when they designed it.

The HS-129 also might have been the first airplane to have the pilot inside a 'bathtub' of armor. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) It might have also been the first close support aircraft specifically designed as a tank killer.

The initial engines for it were terrible, though. By the time it was going into production France had fallen, and the Reich found a bunch of French aircraft engines that were somewhat better, so that went into the HS-129. The other problem was cockpit space. The heavy plexiglass was so close around the pilot that there was no room for them to turn their head.

Wikipedia posted:

There was so little room in the cockpit that the instrument panel ended up under the nose below the windscreen where it was almost invisible; some of the engine instruments were moved outside onto the engine nacelles, as on some models of Messerschmitt's Bf 110 heavy fighter, and the gunsight was mounted outside on the nose."

OK, dumb question: What made the Il-2 so great? Sometimes I get the impression that most of it's virtue was in that it was easily mass producible.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 5, 2011

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Boomerjinks posted:

HELIX ON THE SCENE

Oh my god that is adorable :allears:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The HS 129 had a bunch of issues, it was badly under-engined like you said but it also was not all that maneuverable at low altitude, in part due to that engine and in part due to the design.

the armarment also wasn't quite suited - the MG/151 was too light to destroy frontline soviet armor. so they installed a PaK which was better but massively heavy, and you only got a couple rounds off in a given pass anyway (this is why revolver cannon and multibarreled designes are awesome)

honestly the FW-190 Jabo variants were a lot better and they shouldn't have really been screwing around with the HS anyway. Ground fire is always a concern but that's mitigated by being faster and more maneuverable, and one of the big issues with the Stuka was that it was incredibly vulnerable to enemy fighters, an issue that the HS didn't solve. Twin engines helped improve survivability but I'm doubtful about the actual ability of the airplane to fly on one engine.

tldr Germans already had something better than the HS, which was theoretically innovative but practically a big old waste of resources

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Hawker Typhoon was always my favourite ground attack plane of WW2.

Flawed yes but it looked so awesome

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:catstare: indeed

There are pictures of the aftermath of this incident out there on the internet if you're morbidly curious. It looks pretty much like you'd imagine. There is a "spray zone" on the tarmac for probably 100 feet behind the engine. :stare:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

as you may be able to tell from my bitching about the HS 129, I am partial to the FW-190 G series, of which I was unable to find a good picture, but here's an F model all huge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FW_190_F.jpg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

your thesis is "maybe there is statistical significance"

No, it's not. I don't have a thesis. I'm not making an argument. What I said was that "Everyone says this thing, but I haven't actually seen data to support this claim." Why are you so pissed off about this? This is the way things are supposed to work, if you have a claim, and are asked to support it, then support it, I'm really not seeing what's got you so upset.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Good God. Suicide? Or just negligence?

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, dumb question: What made the Il-2 so great? Sometimes I get the impression that most of it's virtue was in that it was easily mass producible.

Being Russian, it was massively overbuilt and because of that it was able to take a lot of fire and continue flying without giving a gently caress.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i'm irritated because X airplane is safer than Y airplane is used as an annoying nationalist pissing contest between retarded Boeing and Airbus fanboys

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Good God. Suicide? Or just negligence?

quote:

Witnesses on the ramp and in the airplane observed one mechanic position himself on the inboard side of the right engine and another mechanic position himself on the outboard side of the right engine. The third mechanic was positioned several feet clear of the engine during the accident sequence; this mechanic was assigned by the lead mechanic to observe the maintenance procedure as part of his on-the-job training.

At this point in the accident sequence, the airplane was completely boarded with all passengers and crew via an air stair truck (the jetway was inoperative), except for one passenger in a wheel chair who was being prepared to be boarded on a lift truck. (The accident occurred prior to this passenger boarding the airplane).

Shortly after the engine power was increased, two witnesses on the ground (mechanics) and one witness in the airplane (passenger) observed the mechanic on the outboard side of the right engine stand up, step into the inlet hazard zone, and become ingested into the engine.

MEDICAL AND PATHOLOGICAL INFORMATION

The El Paso County Medical Examiner stated that neither an autopsy nor toxicological tests were possible due to the nature of the accident and the condition of the remains.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

There are pictures of the aftermath of this incident out there on the internet if you're morbidly curious. It looks pretty much like you'd imagine. There is a "spray zone" on the tarmac for probably 100 feet behind the engine. :stare:

This was a stupid thing to search for.
:nms: http://www.elite-electro.nl/indexvies.html :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

This was a stupid thing to search for.
:nms: http://www.elite-electro.nl/indexvies.html :nms:

:stare:

Jesus holy gently caress, I imagine that was an almost painless way to go considering there wasn't anything bigger than a fistful of meat left.

"Coroner posted:

The El Paso County Medical Examiner stated that neither an autopsy nor toxicological tests were possible due to the nature of the accident and the condition of the remains.

Understatement of the year

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 5, 2011