Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
Maybe both Striders will be named Dave. Bro created an AI duplicate of himself to talk to, and Dave became his own ghostly spirit guide, so theres already a theme of self-repetition going on in their family. Plus I'd say they both have the necessary ego to name their adopted charges after themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
So the original con air bunny from this universe is inside Sebastian. But there is also an unmodified con air bunny on Janes bed, dressed as a wizard.

Easily explained through standard time travel, but I dunno, something tells me they're different rabbits.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Fagtastic posted:

So the original con air bunny from this universe is inside Sebastian. But there is also an unmodified con air bunny on Janes bed, dressed as a wizard.

Easily explained through standard time travel, but I dunno, something tells me they're different rabbits.

The unmodified wizard rabbit is the one given to Rose in this flash page. The other rabbit is the one John gave to Jade, who gave it to Jake. Because Dave in this universe never gave the Con-Air rabbit to John, it's was held by this universe's Dave until it was stolen by Bro and encased in robotics.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Something I noticed in this recent update:

Yeah that's a meteor alright, hope they start quickly. :ohdear:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dolash posted:

Also, never mind seeing the all-Strider-conversation, I want to see Rose and this Bro go nine rounds on the psycho-analysis circuit. I'm not sure anybody could get the upper hand in a conversation with him.

Never mind that. I want to see Rose meet her young mother.

It will be like Kanaya's first impression of Rose, times twelve.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fagtastic posted:

No, it actually is not easily explained through time travel. To summarize, the meteors carrying the kids and their items (the rabbits, etc) were copied directly into the new session.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

spectralPrankster is making the best videos, every one of his videos is great and I hope he keeps making them. This one got uploaded a few minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiwgo9S2l0

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tw1tchy posted:

spectralPrankster is making the best videos, every one of his videos is great and I hope he keeps making them. This one got uploaded a few minutes ago.

Joe Dimaggio makes a surprisingly good Gamzee.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tw1tchy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ejJwz-kx4

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

FebrezeNinja posted:

:siren: Books in the store

I'm glad I finally caught up with the thread today, since I didn't even realize the book was available yet. Hopefully folks'll like how I translated it to print.

Act 1 came out to 155 pages of story, and it's been the shortest so far by over 100 pages.

Warm Body
Sep 18, 2007
The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps to tap, at three, on the teeth
As long as people are posting videos, I saw this one and it wasn't bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qlfeXnIxn4

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I love the idea of Dave being a big famous superstar director chilling with Stiller and the gang and collecting silly movie props.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Warm Body posted:

As long as people are posting videos, I saw this one and it wasn't bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qlfeXnIxn4

Good, but I was expecting more from The Vast Expletive.

KoB
May 1, 2009

kjetting posted:

I love the idea of Dave being a big famous superstar director chilling with Stiller and the gang and collecting silly movie props.

Stiller is starring in the MOIVE.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
We really will never know whether or not Bro's plush rump thing is actually ironic. I wouldn't have it any other way. :allears:

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

King of Solomon posted:

We really will never know whether or not Bro's plush rump thing is actually ironic. I wouldn't have it any other way. :allears:

True, but now we're fairly sure that ironic, sincere, or ironically sincere it didn't stop being a thing in the post-scratch world.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Oh dear, I sure hope there isn't a buddypower stuggle amongst the two friendleaders when they meet. :ohdear:

I did however adore the callbacks to the puppet chat room on Plush Rump.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Wow. Bro is my new favorite. That kind of eloquence and introspection totally speaks to me.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
There goes bro talking about his Puppets :gonk:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Well looks like there's pretty much no way I'm ever going to get any of the books. I would very possibly get that combo pack of all four but Topatoco's international shipping prices are just absolutely stupid.

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.
Missed the doodled ones, what in tarnation! Oh well, ordered anyway.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Mortal Sword posted:

I'm glad I finally caught up with the thread today, since I didn't even realize the book was available yet. Hopefully folks'll like how I translated it to print.

Act 1 came out to 155 pages of story, and it's been the shortest so far by over 100 pages.

What part of act 2 would book 2 cover?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Jane. Jane, don't you know that by saying "hopefully not literally," you have all but guaranteed it will be literal? Don't you know how this comic works? You poor soul.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

tinaun posted:

WV wasting four hours on this poo poo.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I'm glad I saw the book show up on Topatco just about straight away, and with artist signings still available. Being all jumpy about them running out I ordered straight away.
It took a couple of hours for it to sink in that I'd just spent $55 on a small book.
International shipping :argh:

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
This has occurred to me in the past, but Homestuck has a pretty huge following. How likely might it be that comic book shops might actually be interested in carrying volumes of Homestuck? Do webcomics in book form tend to be sold in places like that?

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I've invested a lot of time into this so I'll keep reading until the end, but the fact that this comic has gone backwards and started over from the 'beginning' has really soured me on it. I don't care to spend time with these new characters or read their long drawn-out conversations about nothing. The cliffhangers and the poor pacing doesn't leave me with any patience for them.

This is the same reasoning for why I stopped reading Robert Jordan books too.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Act 6 is a lot faster about pumping out characters, though.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

This has occurred to me in the past, but Homestuck has a pretty huge following. How likely might it be that comic book shops might actually be interested in carrying volumes of Homestuck? Do webcomics in book form tend to be sold in places like that?

They can be. I know the comic shop that was next to my old university carried the Penny Arcade books, and I saw Octopus Pie's book was available at a Barnes and Noble. It's up to the publishing house, whether or not they feel it's worth doing so. PA, for instance, was distributed by Dark Horse, so they have inroads to stores and whatnot. Topatco, I gather, is a pretty small operation in comparison.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

I was just thinking about this. I'm not at all sure of the likelihood really, all I know is that I'd kill to get some copies of Hussie's works at a place like Powell's or something. Barnes and Noble seems like more of a stretch for some reason--I have seen them carrying Penny Arcade and Megatokyo books at one point or another though, so who knows?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ghost Hat posted:

I've invested a lot of time into this so I'll keep reading until the end, but the fact that this comic has gone backwards and started over from the 'beginning' has really soured me on it. I don't care to spend time with these new characters or read their long drawn-out conversations about nothing. The cliffhangers and the poor pacing doesn't leave me with any patience for them.

This is the same reasoning for why I stopped reading Robert Jordan books too.

Ugh, a new batch of compelling characters engaging in interesting interactions? How boring. I'm outie - PEACE!

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I was just thinking about this. I'm not at all sure of the likelihood really, all I know is that I'd kill to get some copies of Hussie's works at a place like Powell's or something. Barnes and Noble seems like more of a stretch for some reason--I have seen them carrying Penny Arcade and Megatokyo books at one point or another though, so who knows?

Eh. If Cartoon Network it turning lovely youtube oranges into full fledged cartoons I'm sure a big publisher would be eager to get some of what Hussie's got.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

tinaun posted:

All depends on whether Andrew asks me to break it up or not. As-is, it'd be longer than the first couple PS books, but might still be do-able as a single volume. Act 5 is where 1 Act/1 Book definitely becomes unfeasible, though.

I'm working right now on polishing up Act 3 and the MC intermission.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

The place I go has an entire section full of webcomic books, and occasionally hosts signings and panels. I've seen everything from fail-rear end CAD to Penny Arcade, and a ton of hit/miss in between. Now that I think about it, now would seem like the perfect time for me to check if there are any MSPA books.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kit Walker posted:

Ugh, a new batch of compelling characters engaging in interesting interactions? How boring. I'm outie - PEACE!

I have to grant that if you see the entire comic as belonging to a singular, monolithic narrative arc then the recent updates aren't really contributing to that yet. Sure if we take the long view the overall story is heating up, and once it's all been written a reader probably won't notice any lull as anything but the calm before the storm, but to live in the moment as we work our way through plateaus of introduction and preparation (albeit plateaus at high update speeds and with good compression) can possibly be frustrating.

I tend to see the comic as being less of an overall arc and more of a regular web-comic that happens to be meandering forward toward a point (although when things heat up, they really do), so 'slow' spots don't bother me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since I wasn't around when Hivebent was live, I can only imagine it featured many posts like that. At least here the new typing gimmicks aren't as unpenetrable. Also we pretty much know and understand the significance of what's happening now, which wasn't necessarily apparent in Hivebent until the very end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally I can forgive any slowdown in pace as long as it continues to make me laugh. Do I want the kids to burst through the fourth wall already and start messing with things? Yeah. But drat if every Kidmom chat doesn't crack me up. And with all the little clues and mysteries about the state of the new universe there's still plenty to keep me interested in the direction of the plot.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
In general I'm pretty skeptical of the feasibility of a start-over-from-scratch (heh) narrative turn like this, and there's no telling if it'll work in the end. Still, speaking as someone who read through the initial WV updates/Intermission/Hivebent live, I'm now pretty willing to accept Homestuck as a story of myriad digressions.

That said, what this particular digression has going for it is this:

Nate RFB posted:

Also we pretty much know and understand the significance of what's happening now, which wasn't necessarily apparent in Hivebent until the very end.

Act 6 has made it pretty clear that while we've "started over" in one sense, the forces we were dealing with before have some continuity -- the Troll Empire still has a presence, apparently, English is lurking somewhere, and so on. Smaller things, like Jack, have been sidelined for the moment as we set the stage for a broader final conflict.

While in eg, Hivebent, which had a lot of complaints, it wasn't at all clear what we were running up to, here we know we're gearing up for the end. Might as well enjoy some zany chatlogs while we anticipate.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Something I find amusing, is that there are now 4 temporally independent versions of Liv Tyler in this universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh man, that update. I'm fully expecting Jane to literally fall off something to her death, only to be saved by either a pile of smuppets or one really really big jumbo-sized smuppet rear end. This is going to be amazing.