Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Ghost Hat posted:

I've invested a lot of time into this so I'll keep reading until the end, but the fact that this comic has gone backwards and started over from the 'beginning' has really soured me on it. I don't care to spend time with these new characters or read their long drawn-out conversations about nothing. The cliffhangers and the poor pacing doesn't leave me with any patience for them.

This is the same reasoning for why I stopped reading Robert Jordan books too.

This is pretty much how I feel too...I am strongly tempted to just forget about this webcomic and purge it from my bookmarks for now, and maybe come back in a few years when it is marginally closer to finishing. The new characters are boring as poo poo and I can't care about them at all. Maybe that wouldn't matter if I was reading it through in one go, but in a staggered update format, I just don't have the patience, and I get more frustrated with every update. It's just not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

I don't think I really like how TT and TG seem to already be clued in on where this whole mess is going. I was really looking forward to a new batch of bewildered kids stumbling rear end-backwards into everything the first batch did. The difference of course being that the reader would have an idea what was happening and why!

And now we've got TT with pre-knowledge of his ectobiological origins, and TG already knows the world's gonna end and that the batterwitch really IS behind it all and man! what are we gonna surprise these kids with? I hope the arrival of the other four players at least gets an eyebrow raise.

TT even asked for a captcha of Jane's brain! he already knows how to alchemize poo poo on PURPOSE! where's the fun in that?

Admiral Lasers fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 4, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nate RFB posted:

Since I wasn't around when Hivebent was live, I can only imagine it featured many posts like that. At least here the new typing gimmicks aren't as unpenetrable. Also we pretty much know and understand the significance of what's happening now, which wasn't necessarily apparent in Hivebent until the very end.

Yeah I pretty much got any expectations of normal pacing out of my system with Hivebent and just realised that it was going to be a constant cycle of build to a climax, then back to square one, which would EVENTUALLY pay off.

So I understand being nonplussed about the scratch kid shennanigans, even if they are far more tied into what's gone before than the trolls were (initially).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Admiral Lasers posted:

I don't think I really like how TT and TG seem to already be clued in on where this whole mess is going. I was really looking forward to a new batch of bewildered kids stumbling rear end-backwards into everything the first batch did. The difference of course being that the reader would have an idea what was happening and why!

It does make sense--the scratch is supposed to facilitate a more successful game session, after all, and the trolls (who were themselves the product of a scratch) knew a lot more about the game going in than the kids did.

From a storytelling perspective it also helps maintain the momentum, which is a pretty key concern judging by the number of (not entirely unjustified) complaints about the pacing of the new kid segment!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Remember when Dave was looking at the grist cost for his brain? This organ is virtually inimitable etc. So if Bro is replicating entire brains and putting them inside robots, not only is it kind of creepy ethically speaking, it also means he is making GBS threads grist.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ghost Hat posted:

I've invested a lot of time into this so I'll keep reading until the end, but the fact that this comic has gone backwards and started over from the 'beginning' has really soured me on it. I don't care to spend time with these new characters or read their long drawn-out conversations about nothing. The cliffhangers and the poor pacing doesn't leave me with any patience for them.

It hasn't started over or gone to the beginning though. The kids' universe has reset and the guardian/kid roles have been reversed, but the original kids haven't been reset with it; John and Jade are on their way to enter the new session once it starts, nothing that has happened so far has unhappened. And the pacing doesn't seem terrible at all; in the second to last update you can see a meteor in the sky already headed towards Bro's house. This poo poo is moving fast especially if you compare it to the rest of Homestuck.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Admiral Lasers posted:

Beaten by Pope, but ah, you forget. This is consistent with Hivebent: the Trolls were familiar with quite a bit of Skaian technology out of the gate and were all set to wreck the game. It's been inferred that the Ancestors went in blind when they played their pre-scratch session. Part of the Scratch's "assistance" in preparing the new players seems to be getting them familiar with the technology involved beforehand.

Plus, we already know a lot about the game, so it keeps things moving along for the reader, as well.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost Hat posted:

I've invested a lot of time into this so I'll keep reading until the end, but the fact that this comic has gone backwards and started over from the 'beginning' has really soured me on it.

Admiral Lasers posted:

I don't think I really like how TT and TG seem to already be clued in on where this whole mess is going. I was really looking forward to a new batch of bewildered kids stumbling rear end-backwards into everything the first batch did.

There we go, the new direction is simultaneously bad for starting over, and bad for not starting over enough.

I don't really have an investment in the story structure myself. As long as the individual parts are entertaining enough I'm content to enjoy the ride. And honestly when it was just Jane for a bit, that... wasn't particularly entertaining. Once we got some taste of the other kids, we were golden. (Jane's not bad, but she woks better as a foil for the other kids than on her own.)

Personally, KidBro is just about the most hilarious character in Homestuck so far, so I've got no complaints. He's got the same ironic sense of humor as Dave, but the over the top eloquence of Rose. It's perfect.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Remember when Dave was looking at the grist cost for his brain? This organ is virtually inimitable etc. So if Bro is replicating entire brains and putting them inside robots, not only is it kind of creepy ethically speaking, it also means he is making GBS threads grist.

That or his brain is a dime a dozen. It's not like he's the genius behind Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff: The Moive.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Dave's brain in a jar was too expensive to produce, but having the captcha code meant he could alchemize things with it that are cheaper, like the SBaHJifier. Brain in a Jar && iShades = Autoresponder might have been possible back in Act 4 if Dave had thought to make it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dave's brain, as the object that gives us SBaHJ, is infinitely valuable. Anyone else's brains could be bought for a handful of shale and some quartz. Then again, with Jane's fetch modus she couldn't give anyone the captcha code anyway.

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009

Ghost Hat posted:

Personally I love that Act 6 feels kind of like getting back to Homestuck's roots, and I can't wait for some sick Alchemization sessions, but REGARDLESS-

I think you're suffering from reading it as its produced instead of having the benefit of archives, which is how Hussie writes the comic to be read. All of Act 6 so far would probably take, what, maybe half an hour to read through tops? I discovered Homestuck during the EOA5 hiatus and sometimes I wish I hadn't for another 6 months to a year or however long until it's finished.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Commutator posted:

Personally I love that Act 6 feels kind of like getting back to Homestuck's roots, and I can't wait for some sick Alchemization sessions, but REGARDLESS-
One of the biggest letdowns of Act 5 was that we never got to see John's alchemization in preparation of the Scratch.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Really hoping for a CHRISTMAS WINDFALL 4X COMBO in a few weeks.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I can't even imagine how many people bailed during the WV/Midnight Crew/Troll/Doc Scratch bits if they're that adverse to prolonged Hussie tangents. And unlike those events, this time the tangent was broadcast well in advance, we already know where it's going, more or less what the end point will be, and we even already basically knew who the characters were(but to the extent where we were left with their mysteries to ponder over). Not to mention we can already see it's moving at a decent clip compared to what we've seen before.

And just as well, this part isn't just developing the Guardians, through their dialog we're getting insight on to how they would have been interacting with their eventual kids in another time and place. So we're seeing glimpses of how the Kids came to be who they were, to an extent, not just who they may eventually be interacting with. We're also learning about the effects of a Scratch and seeing firsthand the work of one of Lord English's lieutenants.

And hopefully an eventual near-final boss, if just because a "cake sellin genocidal alien overlard sea queen" in an alien empress becoming Betty Crocker(and possibly getting fat on cake if TG isn't just making sick burns) is such a hilariously absurd and yet in this context an entirely reasonable premise for a villainess.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Ghost Hat posted:

I'm not sour on the story, but yeah I can see where you're coming from. Reading this when I'm already caught up is a little excruciating. I have faith it'll sort out in the long run, but there's only so many times I can see the scratch kids go "holy crap lois this is worse than that one time" *spool up callback footage from previous acts* before I just want them to get on with the drat Sburb session and meet the characters into which we're already invested.

I do like that, with so many "mysteries" revealed this late in the story, there's still a lot of uncertainty. UranianUmbra is the big one, but I enjoy seeing Hussie show the influence of the bad guys in this new world through the kids' computers and other setting clues. The antagonists are making their presence felt without having to cut back to them in a dark boardroom making Gendo steeple-hands and cackling.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I know I'm incredibly late on this, but goddamn the homestuck albums are amazing. I've never really sat down and listened to them before and I loving love all the ambient/IDM stuff it's got going on.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I am just a gigantic sucker for watching the way Hussie's recombined the kids' personalities. Bro's got all of Rose's devotion to verbose amateur psychology and Dave's dedication to irony, while Mom's got all of Dave's coolkid tendencies mixed with Rose's fiercer gently caress da po-lice tendencies. (for purposes of this conversation da po-lice will be considered to include anything that seems to be trying to control her.)

And, of course, true to their ectobiological parents, they're both seething masses of issues re: their guardians who attempt to play it off as if it ain't no thang.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm kind of lukewarm on the B2 Kids to be honest. I like Jake and drunkMom but Bro and Jane are just boring. If this keeps up, Jane is getting ranked behind Tavros on the interestometer. :colbert:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

YF-23 posted:

It hasn't started over or gone to the beginning though. The kids' universe has reset and the guardian/kid roles have been reversed, but the original kids haven't been reset with it; John and Jade are on their way to enter the new session once it starts, nothing that has happened so far has unhappened.
Speaking of which, I kind of came up with a theory about how John and Jade might end up showing up. It looks like the new Fourth Wall is at kid-Mom's place (plugged into one of those green power/wifi boxes like the one Rose ended up plugging her computer into), so it's likely that whenever they show up, it'll be near kid-Mom.

Now here comes the big assumption: say kid-Mom's medium entry mirrors Rose's. What kind of stuff happened in Rose's medium entry? Among other things, we have a large number of meteors and a fire tornado.

And coming through that fourth wall will be a pair of kids who have already demonstrated an aptitude for dealing with meteors and controlling fire tornados (and just plain putting out fires, for that matter).

So there has to be a pretty decent chance of John and Jade dramatically arriving in time to help with kid-Mom's medium entry.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Dave's brain, as the object that gives us SBaHJ, is infinitely valuable. Anyone else's brains could be bought for a handful of shale and some quartz. Then again, with Jane's fetch modus she couldn't give anyone the captcha code anyway.
That's gotta be a gag more than anything though, since Terezi gave Dave most of the ideas behind SBAHJ through her lovely drawings.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

That's gotta be a gag more than anything though, since Terezi gave Dave most of the ideas behind SBAHJ through her lovely drawings.

But Terezi got the idea from Dave before giving it to Dave. You forget how everything in Paradox Space is built out of Mobius Double Reacharounds.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

But Terezi got the idea from Dave before giving it to Dave. You forget how everything in Paradox Space is built out of Mobius Double Reacharounds.
gently caress. I can't keep track of all this weird time poo poo.

I just remembered the SBAHJs in his Derse bedroom as well.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

This has occurred to me in the past, but Homestuck has a pretty huge following. How likely might it be that comic book shops might actually be interested in carrying volumes of Homestuck? Do webcomics in book form tend to be sold in places like that?

I've seen copies of Problem Sleuth Book 1 at a Zellers, which is kind of a Canadian equivalent to Sears. Topato is definitely shipping copies of their books to retailers, and if you check your local big department store you might be surprised.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ammat The Ankh posted:

At least know we know Dave really is rich and successful in this universe. Also calling Lalonde's name as "Ruby"

A shameful name for a hacker. It is perfect.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I wonder what the kid guardians will have for leitmotifs

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Absolutely in love with the Parks and Rec references. Hussie showing the best show on TV some love.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Hah. totally called the cover of PS book 3. I think it's high time to finally buy some MSPA stuff.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

OmegaZultan posted:

Absolutely in love with the Parks and Rec references. Hussie showing the best show on TV some love.

You’re a champion little horse and you’re dead. You’re the champion of death, you’re the champion of death.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
So can we consider it to be basically confirmed at this point that Bro's planet will be the Land of Plush and Rumps?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

haruspex posted:

So can we consider it to be basically confirmed at this point that Bro's planet will be the Land of Plush and Rumps?

Land of Impudence and Jutting.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Land of Impudence and Jutting.

"LoIaJ" doesn't really roll off the tongue, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

haruspex posted:

"LoIaJ" doesn't really roll off the tongue, though.

Sure it does. Try saying it like "voyage."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

By the way, Hussie's girlfriend, on her tumblr, heavily implied that doodles copies of the book probably won't reach your door by Christmas, so, yeah, don't get your hopes up people.

Mimiga
Apr 16, 2007

Scary, but fluffy.

Bobulus posted:

By the way, Hussie's girlfriend, on her tumblr, heavily implied that doodles copies of the book probably won't reach your door by Christmas, so, yeah, don't get your hopes up people.

What's her tumblr?

Hussie's post on his tumblr kind of implied that people who purchased signed copies should have them arrive before Christmas... or at least he wanted them to arrive before Christmas.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Update. Dad remains the best Dad.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

Fucknag posted:

Update. Dad remains the best Dad.

I was just about the post this word for word. Dad owns forever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lifting heavy objects continues to be a proud Egbert Crocker family tradition.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Lifting heavy objects continues to be a proud Egbert Crocker family tradition.

And we have our hint that Jane's mental graffiti's going to be along the lines of 'weak child.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Ze Pollack posted:

And we have our hint that Jane's mental graffiti's going to be along the lines of 'weak child.'

She's awake on Prospit though, so she shouldn't be writing the graffiti, I think.