Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Just read black house again, good book and makes me wish
peter straub had a hand in all the dark tower books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Awesome Andy posted:

Just read black house again, good book and makes me wish
peter straub had a hand in all the dark tower books.

I can not wait for the third book in this series.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

DeseretRain posted:

Also, someone convince me to re-read IT. It's been over 10 years since I read IT, and I usually re-read SK novels that I like. A part of me really wants to re-read IT...but the ending just KILLS it for me. It makes me feel like every single thing that happened in the book was just so totally pointless and worthless, especially after what we find out about Pennywise in Dreamcatcher. I want to re-read it, but KNOWING that ending is coming the whole time will bother me so much.

Can someone spoil this for me? I don't plan on reading Dreamcatcher and I didn't know there was more to know about Pennywise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boofchicken posted:

Can someone spoil this for me? I don't plan on reading Dreamcatcher and I didn't know there was more to know about Pennywise.

From what I remember its nothing really, just graffiti on the Derry memorial stating "PENNYWISE LIVES" There's another IT bit in 11/22/63 with a cameo from 1958 Richie and Bev after they killed Pennywise.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

From what I remember its nothing really, just graffiti on the Derry memorial stating "PENNYWISE LIVES" There's another IT bit in 11/22/63 with a cameo from 1958 Richie and Bev after they killed Pennywise.

11/22/63 Don't forget about the ironworks segment and the voice telling Jake that everything floats.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
So far, I have only read three King books, and I loved all three for different reasons.

IT. Has always been my favorite King movie, and I finally decided to read it last week. So much amazingly better than the movie. Pennywise has always fascinated me, and 2012 is... 27 years after 1985. Things should be... floating in Derry soon. In Derry, they all float. And you'll float, too.

11/22/63. Wasn't as time travely/future changy as I expected, but it had a lot of interesting concepts that I hope King focuses on in later (or maybe other, since I've only read three of his books) novels. Mainly, the Yellow Card Man. Was also interesting seeing the main character adapting to the late 50's having come from 2011. The end was a tear-jerker as well.

Under The Dome. This would make a great 13 episode long series on ShowTime. The whole situation and psychology of it was amazing. I picked it up because I had read there was a Jack Reacher tie-in with it, which is one of my favorite series of books. I would love to see a Reacher crossover with him floating through Derry and having to solve some murdered children crimes. A Jack Reacher novel with a supernatural twist? Hell yes.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 5, 2011

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

DominusDeus posted:

Under The Dome. This would make a great 13 episode long series on ShowTime.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Lost-Writer-Set-Pen-Under-Dome-TV-Adaptation-Showtime-36796.html

Any other wishes I may grant for you?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wow, I think Brian K. Vaughan is a seriously good fit for that.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

muscles like this? posted:

For some reason I want to say that the graffiti said "The Losers Beat It" . Not that it really matters and I could be wrong of course, I haven't read Dreamcatcher since it first came out.

I really enjoyed 11/22/63. I wasn't expecting too much from it because I have no intrest in Kennedy or time travel, but it kept me hooked all the way to the end.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Whargoul posted:

For some reason I want to say that the graffiti said "The Losers Beat It" . Not that it really matters and I could be wrong of course, I haven't read Dreamcatcher since it first came out.

I really enjoyed 11/22/63. I wasn't expecting too much from it because I have no intrest in Kennedy or time travel, but it kept me hooked all the way to the end.

It says "Pennywise Lives!" I remember it standing out to me when I read the book since I thought it was an interesting tie in.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

Transmogrifier posted:

It says "Pennywise Lives!" I remember it standing out to me when I read the book since I thought it was an interesting tie in.

That is what it says.
There is a book about the Universes of Stephen King that talks about it in the Dreamcatcher section.
Or you could read the book again, I like it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I guess if we were going to get an IT sequel, it would be next year, and with The Shinning sequel and new Dark Tower book coming out, that doesn't look likely. Shame.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
I doubt we will see an IT sequel. The whole Derry problem that IT addresses is that the town has undercurrents of something bad about it and the losers fought against IT in both time periods, the second one basically tearing down the towns historical monuments and other assorted things but in Insomnia Ralph mentions something about Derry having a darker side to it.

Towns just bad news I guess. Not on a Salems lot level but it's haunted in other ways. Does Pennywise still exist under it? I don't think he/she/IT has to. The place is creepy enough as it is.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

Local Group Bus posted:

I doubt we will see an IT sequel. The whole Derry problem that IT addresses is that the town has undercurrents of something bad about it and the losers fought against IT in both time periods, the second one basically tearing down the towns historical monuments and other assorted things but in Insomnia Ralph mentions something about Derry having a darker side to it.

In Insomnia Ralph sees a large beam of light coming from a storm drain and I think he has a thought about it being evil in color

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dark Tower VII is probably the worst because of all the incredibly hacky and lazy choices, but I actually remember and care about parts of it.
I barely remember Song of Susannah and future events basically made it meaningless.

I just got through 11/22/63 and Under The Dome.
11/22/63 was very good even though I was not thrilled by the characters from Texas.

Under The Dome's ending was not as bad as I was led to believe, but I have a lot of problems trying to make sense of it based on the rest of the book.

e: I don't know if there's a term for stupid spoilers at the end of chapters but Under The Dome is riddled with them.
They aren't transitions. They are throw away lines that kill suspense for no good reason.

fake example posted:

She sighed and thought "Tomorrow will be fun and I will see my granddaughter." She never saw her granddaughter again.

End of Chapter

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 6, 2011

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Dark Tower VII is probably the worst because of all the incredibly hacky and lazy choices, but I actually remember and care about parts of it.
I barely remember Song of Susannah and future events basically made it meaningless.

I just got through 11/22/63 and Under The Dome.
11/22/63 was very good even though I was not thrilled by the characters from Texas.

Under The Dome's ending was not as bad as I was led to believe, but I have a lot of problems trying to make sense of it based on the rest of the book.

e: I don't know if there's a term for stupid spoilers at the end of chapters but Under The Dome is riddled with them.
They aren't transitions. They are throw away lines that kill suspense for no good reason.

Yeah, I enjoyed Under the Dome. I enjoyed the way it all unfolded, although I had to laugh somewhere in the beginning when, out of nowhere, BOOM - psychic dog. Big Jim was a great character, though - great villain.

11/22/63 left me a bit cold but the ending was good, so I should read his son's books then, I guess.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Local Group Bus posted:

Towns just bad news I guess. Not on a Salems lot level but it's haunted in other ways. Does Pennywise still exist under it? I don't think he/she/IT has to. The place is creepy enough as it is.

One of the cast from Tommyknockers sees/hears/something IT in it when they go to Derry. Tommyknockers takes place after IT.

DeseretRain
Oct 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
OK I finished 11/22/63 today. I cannot fathom why people like this terrible ending. It was the ending I was afraid of from the very moment I heard the premise of the book. And I thought, "Please don't let that be the ending. It's so predictable. And it renders the entire book pointless. PLEASE make some other ending. ANY other ending." But of course it was that ending.

Also tons of annoyance for making the 50s look like it was some kind awesome wonderland. Yeah yeah he didn't like the racism, but pretty much every other horrible thing from that horrible, bigoted hellscape of a time period is glossed over or not mentioned at all, and only annoys the protagonist if it effects him directly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Local Group Bus posted:

So all the references to IT over the last decade or so really mean nothing? That's a pity, that's like the only Stephen King novel I really enjoy, warts and all. Where the hell does Dreamcatcher and that stuff fit into it anyway? Was "Mr. Grey" at all related to Pennywise? IIRC there would be a really easy "Bill didn't get all of IT's eggs" explanation for why there's a baby IT running around and growing extra fast from all the bad juju baby IT's mommy left behind.

As for Derry itself I thought it was pretty clear that IT was tied to Derry and that's why the town is so messed up. It has an Eldritch Horror that has lived underneath it since its founding, and it's infected the very fabric of the geography in ways physics can only guess at.

As a casual fan I'd gladly trade the Shining sequel for IT-2. Honestly. A period piece that revisits Derry in 2012 feels "right" in my mind.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

You're right about IT being the reason Derry is so hosed up. IT was there way before the town was and the town was built on IT, the barrens running through the middle of the town like a scar being a really nice light touch that shows how IT really is the towns foundations but I think the callbacks are more a residue than what you could call an active infestation.

Most of the old timers Mike talks to when he is deciding to call the losers back together know that something is wrong under Derry but know better than to disturb it because IT also serves the town. Sure every 27 years or so a bunch of kids die, but the town is okay with that because it's what keeps Derry rolling along. The compromise between the town and the monster/thing existing under it had always been there and I think the fact that Derry is still a viable town, has even grown into a larger city since the losers came back to finish the job means that there is something else at play, maybe an echo effect like the Overlook or just the fact that reality in Derry is thin and close to the multiverse established in both IT and the Dark Tower books.

Somethings not right in Derry because Derry keeps growing and people keep seeing things/reading graffiti relating to IT but I don't think that means there is still a Bob Grey or a giant spider or a clown crawling through the sewers. That was just ITs hiding place/face.

The town and IT are intertwined and even if every egg was destroyed and the monster vanquished there's still the town itself and it's own history that might be holding onto that echo.

To make an analogy that will probably fall down: You can quit smoking if you have lung cancer but the lung cancer isn't going to go away with the habit that caused it. Derry is hosed up because of it's past and that past is always there because Derry itself is folded into it. Notice that most of the places it inhabits are old? The Trackers truck depot, the houses around the old train tracks, the burned out factory that exploded and killed all those kids? That's a staple of horror; the only difference is in Derry it's not an old house that is haunted or a car but a city.

I wouldn't be surprised if kids still go missing in Derry and are found dead, probably killed by people who suddenly find themselves committing those deeds as the cycle begins again with little reason to do so on their part.

I guess what I'm saying is, in short, Derry doesn't need a monster living under it, Derry itself is the monster and there's something much bigger at play in that town than a clown luring kids into storm-drains.

Brimmstone
Mar 10, 2007

GO CRAZY, FOLKS! GO CRAZY!

It's already been done. It's called The Simpsons Movie.

And it's better than Under the Dome.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

DeseretRain posted:

Also tons of annoyance for making the 50s look like it was some kind awesome wonderland. Yeah yeah he didn't like the racism, but pretty much every other horrible thing from that horrible, bigoted hellscape of a time period is glossed over or not mentioned at all, and only annoys the protagonist if it effects him directly.

If you want a picture of the 50's, imagine a black man sitting on a board making GBS threads into a creek forever.

The horrible Mammy stereotype at the bus stop was especially ironic, since it shows very clearly that King fails to understand that Jim Crow was only part of the problem.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Protocol 5 posted:

If you want a picture of the 50's, imagine a black man sitting on a board making GBS threads into a creek forever.

The horrible Mammy stereotype at the bus stop was especially ironic, since it shows very clearly that King fails to understand that Jim Crow was only part of the problem.

Fixie bikes with bicycle cards fwapping in the spokes. :allears:

It's just his own nostalgia burbling up from his oft drunk subconscious over and over and over...

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Half way through "Full Dark, No Stars".

Eh.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just finished 11/22/63 and really enjoyed it. I can see why people wouldn't like the ending, but I enjoyed it throughout. I loved the "harmonization" motif that ran throughout the whole thing - at first it sort of seemed like a lazy device to provide a more active antagonist than the necessarily-absent Oswald, but the post-Depository sequences made it make much more sense in context - the breaking Memorex glass line in particularly made for a great penny-drop moment for me. I think if I had to change anything it would be the ending - perhaps Jake could have been more affected by Sadie's death and the novel could have ended at the part where he's fleeing the second Card Man and accepting the role of the Jimla. But I'm happy with how it actually ended.

I'm not as crazy about it as I was about Under The Dome, which I'll staunchly defend as some of King's best work, but it's certainly one of my favourite reads this year.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NosmoKing posted:

Half way through "Full Dark, No Stars".

Eh.

Some good stuff in that but the first story just seemed to go on and on.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
I bought "11/22/63" based on the mostly rave reviews in here, and so far, the first fifty pages or so have been eh.

It gets better, right?

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Just bought and started 11/22/63. So happy to hear that there are IT references. As soon as Jake saw the newspaper date as 1958, I got excited and wondered if my favorite King book would be easter egged.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Edwardian posted:

I bought "11/22/63" based on the mostly rave reviews in here, and so far, the first fifty pages or so have been eh.

It gets better, right?

No it doesn't get any better than that you have seen the climax of the book already. Nothing else is going to happen. Read no further and burn the book at your earliest opportunity.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I did not like the ending of 11/22/63 either. I started to get worried when I noticed there was barely an inch of pages left and he still hadn't gotten to the date of the assassination. I feared it would be rushed, and that is exactly how it felt. The fact that the repercussions of his meddling with time are covered in only a few pages while it seems like half the book covers school dances and plays annoys me. I also never want to hear the word poundcake again.

That being said, I did enjoy the overall book - especially the first half. He did a great job of describing this concept of the past not wanting to be changed. Some scenes really had me on the edge of my seat and had me nervous about what was going to happen next. That is an awesome emotion to get from a novel.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Leovinus posted:

No it doesn't get any better than that you have seen the climax of the book already. Nothing else is going to happen. Read no further and burn the book at your earliest opportunity.

It's not an exaggeration. I was a bit shocked by the reviews of it; it's tedious and long-winded, the main character is a man you never actually get around to liking despite the insane pagecount, and there really isn't a single character you give a poo poo about at any point.

I normally don't mind it when King drags in characters/events from other books because that's part of his schtick, but this redefined ham-fisted.

I shouldn't get too grumpy over a King book; after all, I just read them for fun, but ughhhh. Under the Dome actually was better.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I Ozma Myself posted:

It's not an exaggeration. I was a bit shocked by the reviews of it; it's tedious and long-winded, the main character is a man you never actually get around to liking despite the insane pagecount, and there really isn't a single character you give a poo poo about at any point.

I normally don't mind it when King drags in characters/events from other books because that's part of his schtick, but this redefined ham-fisted.

I shouldn't get too grumpy over a King book; after all, I just read them for fun, but ughhhh. Under the Dome actually was better.
The protagonist is actually small town life in 1960s Texas. :ssh:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The protagonist is actually small town life in 1960s Texas. :ssh:

You're right, I shall clarify: the voice of the book is a man I loathe, and small town life protagonist is deadly dull.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really wish I had a Time Machine so I could go forward and see if any of the Baby Boomer's constant interest in their own childhood milieus lasts in the annals of history beyond their deaths, even within like a century or two.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'm sure it's a surprise to exactly no one, but the Bag of Bones miniseries is garbage.

I will probably watch the whole thing but it was just lame and overwrought, and for some reason they made it so Lance Devore didn't die in a freak accident/lightning strike, but rather was killed by Mattie after she caught him trying to drown the little girl.

I guess maybe they did that for the sake of symmetry, but it kills the story more than you might realize.

Also, Jo's paintings are vile. Also, this should never have been made. Also, there is no reason for Jason Priestley to be there.

Bag of Bones is actually one of my favorite King books, so I'm disappointed. How dare they sully the grand tradition of Stephen King TV miniseries---- after all, Rose Red, Tommyknockers, and the TV version of The Shining were such classics!

(I actually own Rose Red)

(what the gently caress is wrong with me)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I Ozma Myself posted:

(I actually own Rose Red)

(what the gently caress is wrong with me)

What IS wrong with you?!

Anyway, I hope all the IT stuff over the years leads to something because IT is my favorite book.

Also, the cycle takes place about 26-27 years or so and It was published back in 86:tinfoil:

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Is there any reason for Jason Priestly to be in anything? He annoyed the poo poo out of me in Haven and that show was annoying to begin with. Second season has since picked up thankfully.

I had no expectation of the mini=series being any good because the novel just doesn't have the legs to sustain more than a two hour running time. Most of the other mini-series were at least based on works that had a slow build and an extended climax. Bag of Bones has neither and it surprised me that they could stretch it out longer than 2 hours or so.

Was it in first person like the book? Or did they change that? I loved how Storm of the Century was front and back-ended in first person and dropped in the middle, drat that's such a great mini-series. Bag of Bones is such a weird book to try and adapt for television.

I'm confused why Hearts in Atlantis wasn't considered first. Sure we had the crappy movie, but the entire book and it's timeline structure would have worked really well had they cast it correctly. The non-horror King works really well on screen too.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

oldpainless posted:

What IS wrong with you?!

I'm a sucker for haunted house stories, even if they're awful.

The funniest thing about the DVD is that you realize just how much is repeated in a miniseries thanks to the commercials. That part where they're all looking for one another/Emery's mom is looking for him? It's interminable.

When did he say he initially came up with the idea for 11/22/63?

Local Group Bus posted:

Most of the other mini-series were at least based on works that had a slow build and an extended climax.

That's the funny thing, it really doesn't have anything to sustain it that long so it's been padded a bit (which is why suddenly we're stuck with Priestley, I guess).

It was optioned right away, but then I suppose anything he writes is optioned right off the bat. I had no idea why they thought a miniseries would cut it. Basically, it's Bunter's bell, some wet dreams, owls, fridge magnets, a scary lady, and a treestump. Not much happening (though again, I really do like the book itself- I like Mike Noonan as a character).

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

I own Rose Red on DVD and feel like such an arse when I watch it because I get the feeling that the character David Dukes played had a bigger role and may have changed the whole thing for the better but he went and died and the rest of the mini-series just flounders.

One reason not to be ashamed to own Rose Red: Julian Sands was pretty damned great in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Eh, it's like a lot of King joints. He gets a semi-interesting idea (evidently he's seen the ghost shows about the Winchester House that we've ALL seen) and whips up a couple of characters, then has absolutely no idea what to do with them or how to resolve anything.

It was basically just The Haunting of Hell House only with a house that can build things on its own. Oh, and a weird vampire person?