Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I am totally down with renaming Thanksgiving Atonement Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

team overhead smash posted:

Just a stupider and much much worse version of http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html

I've always hated this story and the nauseating producerist mentality it's based on. It's never really matched much with the rest of Vonnegut's work either; I've always wondered what it is he observed or thought about that lead him to write it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
How'd the government make his daughter into a texting addict?

Also, teenagers never had nihilistic attitudes before THE GOVERNMENT made them do so.

ED: Harrison Bergeron was one of the science fiction stories that my high-school science teacher made us read because it was SO loving INSIGHTFUL. He was a :smuggo: who made him call us Dr. while everyone else went by Ms. or Mr. and never realized that his harder-science counterpart hated him.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 4, 2011

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Wouldn't the guy forgetting to plug in his electric car just be the equivalent of him forgetting to do some other piece of maintenance. Not gassing it up, or leaving the dome light on?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

How could they change the name of a holiday :qq: :qq: THOSE BASTARDS

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm surprised that they are angry at searches at airports, and that "terrorism" is one of the things whose constant reporting caused the teenager to be cynical. Usually they have them outlawing Christianity for being "intolerant" while apologizing to Osama Bin Laden for the circumstances that would cause him to plan 9/11.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
In their minds, the only people who should be searched at airports should be brown skinned Muslims.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I just don't get the obsession with vegetarianism. No one has proposed banning meat at any point in Congress (as far as I am aware). I don't even know if there are even that many vegetarians in Congress. It's just this random thing that conservatives can't seem to separate from some overwhelming paranoid dream of a liberal zeitgeist.

Edit: I deserve this. You deserve this. America deserves this, and much hilarity from relatives will come from it: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/post/donald-trump-moderates-the-newsmax-gop-debate-we-deserve/2011/12/02/gIQAuMyrLO_blog.html

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

quote:

The unearthly gleam of government-mandated fluorescent light bulbs
What is it with them and the lightbulb thing?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

the yellow dart posted:

I just don't get the obsession with vegetarianism. No one has proposed banning meat at any point in Congress (as far as I am aware). I don't even know if there are even that many vegetarians in Congress. It's just this random thing that conservatives can't seem to separate from some overwhelming paranoid dream of a liberal zeitgeist.

It's more than a conservative thing. I'd been a little sick for a couple days and happened to only eat veggies during that time, so I said in an obviously not serious manner to a friend that I might as well become a vegetarian at that point. The level of disgust in the reaction from my friend (who is apolitical, but receptive to most of my crazy leftist poo poo) was similar to what I'd have gotten if I told him I was into little boys or something. Even though he knew I was joking.

For a lot of Americans, vegetarianism/veganism inspires a white hot rage that knows no political boundaries. I think it just happens to be more common on the conservative side of the fence because of vegetarianism's association with hippies and New Age types, and the perceived wimpiness of those groups as opposed to the barrel-chested manly hunter man who likes his steak bloody.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

prussian advisor posted:

I've always hated this story and the nauseating producerist mentality it's based on. It's never really matched much with the rest of Vonnegut's work either; I've always wondered what it is he observed or thought about that lead him to write it.
I read it when I was younger and had a similar reaction, being vaguely put out by it. More recently, I heard it was supposed to be satirical, though I haven't actually reread it with that idea in mind.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Yes it's satirical. The bits where he flies, declares himself Emperor, and is a giant are the big giveaways.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Enjoy posted:

Yes it's satirical. The bits where he flies, declares himself Emperor, and is a giant are the big giveaways.

I dunno, that sounds like Dune and Dune was pretty serious

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I am undone

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So was this intended as an Atlas Shrugged parody, or does it just act as one?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So was this intended as an Atlas Shrugged parody, or does it just act as one?

Kurt Vonnegut loved to quote Eugene Debs and was pretty much the opposite of Ayn Rand in every way, except for the cigarettes. So yes, Harrison Bergeron was indeed a satire.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

U.T. Raptor posted:

It isn't the government's business to tell me what i can or can't buy!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Enjoy posted:

I just reread this. I guess an even bigger giveaway is that he's meant to be fourteen in the story as well, despite the above characteristics. Guess middle school me didn't have quite the grasp of "subtlety" that I'd thought he did.

At least I figured out that Death of the Ball Turret Gunner was about abortion...

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

FactsAreUseless posted:

I ran across this reposted to a D&D discussion board while looking for stuff for grognards.txt.

quote:

Thus, cavity searches at malls, train stations, bus depots, etc., etc., had become almost routine.
gently caress, I'd give up some liberties for this...

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?
Just reading Vonnegut's entry on politics on Wikipedia seems to give a lot of proof that this is satire.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

U.T. Raptor posted:

In 2007, Congress passed an energy bill (86-8 in the Senate; 314-100 in the House; signed by Bush) that set power requirements for light bulbs that go into effect Jan 1st 2012. The new requirements will basically force bulb manufacturers to stop producing most types of incandescent bulbs because they waste too much power. The law doesn't specifically ban incandescents, but facts are meaningless. However, despite having bipartisan support and being signed into law by Bush five years ago, conservatives have turned it into a big attack this year. Presumably because it goes into effect in next year and no one will remember who did it, so they can blame it on Obama.

Also, Obama is sending light bulb police to your house on January 1st to kill you if you have incandescent bulbs in your house!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Enjoy posted:

Wow, it really is! Man, the older I get, the dumber Dr. Smuggo gets in hindsight.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

the yellow dart posted:

Edit: I deserve this. You deserve this. America deserves this, and much hilarity from relatives will come from it: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/post/donald-trump-moderates-the-newsmax-gop-debate-we-deserve/2011/12/02/gIQAuMyrLO_blog.html

There is a Santa, and he's bringing the greatest gift of all. :aaaaa:

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

There is a Santa, and he's bringing the greatest gift of all. :aaaaa:

Cain is out, Huntsman literally responded "LOL" to the debate, and Paul said it was "wildly inappropriate". Unfortunately, it may be a case of Primary Debate vaporware. :(

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

At least I figured out that Death of the Ball Turret Gunner was about abortion...

Oh, gently caress me, that's the first hint I've had that it wasn't about a ball turret gunner dying

e: Wait the author was in the Army Air Force, I don't believe you

Kosmonaut fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 5, 2011

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

One day Vonnegut sat around thinking, "This writing serious stuff is all well and good but what do I have to do to get some Orwell level staying power?"

The answer, of course, was to write a dystopian scfi story that would be massively misinterpreted and held up as THIS IS WHAT LIEBERALS ACTUALLY BELIEVE for decades to come.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The best part is that it isn't government handicapper stormtroopers who execute Harrison and the ballerina, but the fact that the actual head of the department personally busts in with a shotgun.

Looking back at the story also just made me realize that she shares the same name with an old, ugly, dumb, utterly unremarkable woman who Elliot Rosewater helps in "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater."

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
So I just watched the video here: http://gawker.com/5864280/hero-high-school-student-fights-michele-bachmann-over-gay-marriage

My question is about her (and every GOP candidates) diatribe against the Department of Education. Seriously, what's the gripe? I went to 14 elementary schools in one state, three junior highs in one state, and four high schools in three different states. I would have killed a hobo for a homogenous curriculum I could have gotten my head around. Every few months was like dropping me in to a war zone of math, science, and reading I hadn't experienced in the last place, ESPECIALLY when you're talking switching states.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They teach evolution and global warming, they persecute Christians by not having mandated prayer time, they encourage promiscuity with sex ed, they teach that McCarthy wasn't a righteous crusader for the truth, they encourage students not to bully gays or Muslims, and the New Deal is spoken of favorably.

Am I forgetting anything?

Of course! Think of all the taxpayer money that could be going to the poor, defenseless oil billionaires!
VVV

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 5, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dr Christmas posted:

They teach evolution and global warming, they persecute Christians by not having mandated prayer time, they encourage promiscuity with sex ed, they teach that McCarthy wasn't a righteous crusader for the truth, they encourage students not to bully gays or Muslims, and the New Deal is spoken of favorably.

Am I forgetting anything?

Don't forget how massively overpaid public school teachers are (especially considering they get a quarter of the year off)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They want you to become a sissy effete male by not teaching you manly skills (mostly a correct criticism [under value of shop classes] for entirely the wrong reasons) and that is just one part of their tolerance package to get you to not only accept gays but be gay yourself.

It is important to remember that they literally want to turn you into a gay, commie, Jesus hating liberal by age 18.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Dr Christmas posted:

Looking back at the story also just made me realize that she shares the same name with an old, ugly, dumb, utterly unremarkable woman who Elliot Rosewater helps in "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater."

I was hoping someone else would notice that. Vonnegut is fun.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
It came from Facebook.

quote:

New Christmas Poem

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
HE LIVED ALL ALONE,
IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF
PLASTER AND STONE.

I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY
WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
AND TO SEE JUST WHO
IN THIS HOME DID LIVE.

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,
A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,
NOT EVEN A TREE.

NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,
JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES
OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,
AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
A SOBER THOUGHT
CAME THROUGH MY MIND.

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,
I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,
ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.

THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,
SILENT, ALONE,
CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR
IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,
THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER,
NOT HOW I PICTURED
A UNITED STATES SOLDIER.

WAS THIS THE HERO
OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?
CURLED UP ON A PONCHO,
THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

I REALIZED THE FAMILIES
THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS
WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

SOON ROUND THE WORLD,
THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE
A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.

THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM
EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,
BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,
LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.

I COULDN'T HELP WONDER
HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE
IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

THE VERY THOUGHT
BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE,
I DROPPED TO MY KNEES
AND STARTED TO CRY.

THE SOLDIER AWAKENED
AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,
'SANTA DON'T CRY,
THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;

I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,
I DON'T ASK FOR MORE,
MY LIFE IS MY GOD,
MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS.'

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER
AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
I COULDN'T CONTROL IT,
I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,
SO SILENT AND STILL
AND WE BOTH SHIVERED
FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.

I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE
ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,
THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR
SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
WHISPERED, 'CARRY ON SANTA,
IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE.'

ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH,
AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.
'MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,!
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.'

This poem was written by a Marine. The following is his request. I think it is reasonable.....
PLEASE. Would you do me the kind favor of sending this to as many people as you can? Christmas will be coming soon and some credit is due to our U.S. service men,women, and Canadian Forces for our being able to celebrate these festivities.
Let's try in this small way to pay a tiny bit of what we
owe. Make people stop and think of our heroes, living and dead, who sacrificed themselves for us. Please, do your small part to plant this small seed.

So I asked the person who posted this why only the US and Canadian forces were thanked. She said the writer probably didn't have room to thank all the other countries.

I asked why these poems are always sent around written by an unknown Marine, never an Air Force guy, never an Army grunt. I wasn't attacking the poster period, I even told her as such, but when I mentioned that lots of people lie and throw the most 'perfect' name to their own writing, be it a GodFearing Marine! or Bill Cosby, well, it isn't honor if it's based on a lie.

Yet here is Santa weeping over a soldier who chose this cold hard life. Or in many cases had it chosen for him, in poor areas where college is a pipe dream, where it's the Army or Walmart. And the soldier is always so quiet and perfect and saint-like.

But hell, it wouldn't be patriotic to say an American Soldier was anything but.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Slightly relieved that it doesn't end with one of those big, "...and for all you who don't stand behind our troops, please stand in front of them"'s.

(Cue small derail in which we add escalating additions about the soldier punching someone who says "Happy Holidays" into the maw of a bear)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey santa you lazy fat gently caress stop watching a dude sleep for hours, you got presents to deliver.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also literally no war has involved Christmas, if anything Christmas has paused more wars than people have had to 'defend' it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I asked the person who posted this why only the US and Canadian forces were thanked. She said the writer probably didn't have room to thank all the other countries.

I want to get one of those "Only x groups have died for you" e-mails so I can respond with a list of every country and group that fought in WWII with the allies or at least against the Axis.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I asked why these poems are always sent around written by an unknown Marine, never an Air Force guy

This one actually was written by a Marine :eng101:

Well, originally. This one's got a bunch of changes to make it less branch-specific.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kavak posted:

I want to get one of those "Only x groups have died for you" e-mails so I can respond with a list of every country and group that fought in WWII with the allies or at least against the Axis.

The Mexicans actually contributed combat troops in WW2, at least a fighter squadron. So...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Kavak posted:

Respond with this. Ask them why they aren't thanking the Soviets several times for every American they thank: