Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

We should play sometime jamcrofts (you will destroy me).

If you're down to play in about an hour, I'll probably be around. I gotta eat dinner in a bit, but besides that all I'm doing tonight is watching the NEC stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
Count me in too on psn. Starret

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, AE is on the NEC stream now so I may as well hop online. I'll make a lobby I guess, add me on PSN (jmcrofts) and I'll invite you.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
Be gentle!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Micgael posted:

Merry Christmas should be when you catch 3 characters out of a bad THC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4v9-t7kklE

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
So many people forget that Joe's super is projectile invincible it's nuts.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
So I'm making one of these posts and I apologize.

Since release, the only two characters I can decide on using permanently are Hulk and Sentinel. I've tried Gorath, Nemesis, Dormammu, Skrull, Ryu, Doom, and countless other characters. My issue is that Rocket Punch is too drat good for Hulk. He can combo off both his air and command grabs with it for stupid damage. I'd just as well use drones to get in, but I can't find an assist outside of Wesker that works as well as rocket punch. I'd rather not play Wesker because I'm not good enough to compensate for the fact that everyone is going to know how to play against Wesker. So I need an OTG assist as good as rocket punch OR a 'keep off me' assist as good as drones with a serviceable character behind it.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
I believe Deadpool’s OTG assist is as quick or quicker than Wesker’s, and he’s pretty easy to play.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Cock posted:

Since release, the only two characters I can decide on using permanently are Hulk and Sentinel. I've tried Gorath, Nemesis, Dormammu, Skrull, Ryu, Doom, and countless other characters. My issue is that Rocket Punch is too drat good for Hulk. He can combo off both his air and command grabs with it for stupid damage. I'd just as well use drones to get in, but I can't find an assist outside of Wesker that works as well as rocket punch. I'd rather not play Wesker because I'm not good enough to compensate for the fact that everyone is going to know how to play against Wesker. So I need an OTG assist as good as rocket punch OR a 'keep off me' assist as good as drones with a serviceable character behind it.
1) Wesker is good enough where even if someone knows how to play against him that doesn't necessarily mean they'll beat him, so don't worry too much about that.
2) Deadpool katanarama is good like the other guy said as an OTG, although if you want an OTG as good as Wesker's your choices are probably just limited to Wesker or Deadpool. Good "get off me" assists would be Haggar, Ryu tatsu, arguably Dorm dark hole, I like Storm whirlwind although I don't see it suggested much, and a few others. Frank shopping cart is really good in that spot too but I wouldn't recommend him on a Hulk/Sentinel team.

e: Speaking of Frank's shopping cart, using shopping cart with Captain America's cartwheel to mix people up is just mean.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 5, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Jmcrofts posted:

If you're down to play in about an hour, I'll probably be around. I gotta eat dinner in a bit, but besides that all I'm doing tonight is watching the NEC stream.

Sorry I missed you, I was eating dinner. Perhaps next time.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
Anyone want to provide some input on Nova? I've seen a few tonight who spam air-dash H into ambiguous cross-ups and couple it with frank/akuma assist to prevent dashing under and it's utterly brutal to try and deal with because nova seems safe after all his normals and if I try to jump and air throw nova it seems like a good luck situation because of the massive hit-box on it.

Anyone got pointers on how to deal with him in general? I'm wondering on what the best way to stop nova derping a combo out is. Perhaps it's a rocket racoon thing in which case ignore me because no-one else seems to use the little bastard.

He's still pretty awesome though. He feels like he's clicked a bit more over the past few days and dies super quickly, but he can open people up like crazy with an assist backing him up. Have to figure out some more resets so I can mess with people more and build some bar easier.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lt. Cock posted:

I know very little about Hulk, but is it possible to use gamma wave as the org and use an assist long enough to hold them in place while the wave recovers and you can dash up? Maybe something like ammy's cold star or dorm's dark hole?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

7 Weskers in the top 8, Yipes declaring the game to be rear end and Chris G crying. What a grand tourney.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

duffath posted:

Anyone want to provide some input on Nova? I've seen a few tonight who spam air-dash H into ambiguous cross-ups and couple it with frank/akuma assist to prevent dashing under and it's utterly brutal to try and deal with because nova seems safe after all his normals and if I try to jump and air throw nova it seems like a good luck situation because of the massive hit-box on it.

Anyone got pointers on how to deal with him in general? I'm wondering on what the best way to stop nova derping a combo out is. Perhaps it's a rocket racoon thing in which case ignore me because no-one else seems to use the little bastard.

He's still pretty awesome though. He feels like he's clicked a bit more over the past few days and dies super quickly, but he can open people up like crazy with an assist backing him up. Have to figure out some more resets so I can mess with people more and build some bar easier.

Log trap is pretty great for hitting Nova when he's trying to airdash in on you. Also, doesn't RR have a laser that angles upwards and shoots fullscreen? That might work. One of Nova's biggest problems is that he can't block during his extremely long airdash. His c.M is not safe (but he can chain it to c.H and thats fairly safe) and neither is his launcher.

From the RR's I've seen the biggest problem they have is that they sit back and zone then never use his teleport. RR's teleport is hard to see! Especially if you call an assist before you do it. If you are standing still long enough for Nova airdashing in on you to be a problem I guarantee you're not teleporting often enough.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

duffath posted:

Maybe I'm just not playing Nova right because this has been about the exact opposite of my impression with him.

On that note, I've probably asked this before but is it completely impossible to do combos online or do I just suck that bad? :sigh:

e: :lol: at the NEC results, is Wesker officially the new Phoenix now or is it still too early to call?

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

The Rokstar posted:

e: :lol: at the NEC results, is Wesker officially the new Phoenix now or is it still too early to call?

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 version 1.02 patch notes:
- Fixed bug where the victory screen would not appear if Wesker was not selected.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

The Crusher posted:

To all the Austin/Arcade UFO people, looks like now that the ranbats for this season are over, Fubarduck wants to continue making Tuesdays a regular thing with UMVC3. He's offering $4 per person to do constant free-play for UMVC3 which will be streamed and recorded(all other cabinets still pay-for-play). I'll probably try to be there this Tuesday for that.

Fubar's SRK post with deets: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/austin-thread-arcade-ufo.35159/page-154#post-6200262

Sweet, I'm down for getting bodied for $4.

Anyway. I'm thinking about running Ghost Rider/Doom/Wesker and using hidden missiles to stop super jumpers once I get the hang of Doom. Does this sound good, or should I use plasma beam?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

purkey posted:

Sweet, I'm down for getting bodied for $4.

Anyway. I'm thinking about running Ghost Rider/Doom/Wesker and using hidden missiles to stop super jumpers once I get the hang of Doom. Does this sound good, or should I use plasma beam?

The beam shouldn't really give ghost rider anything he doesn't already have. Go with the missiles.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Rokstar posted:

Wesker was one of the best characters in MVC3 and he got buffed in Ultimate; there wasn't a single match in the entire tournament where he wasn't on at least one of the two teams.

He might be worse.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Wesker doesn't even need five meters to be insane and stupid. Only thing he has to do is Maximum Wesker once, X-Factor, and suddenly he's DP all over again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PalmTreeFun posted:

Wesker doesn't even need five meters to be insane and stupid. Only thing he has to do is Maximum Wesker once, X-Factor, and suddenly he's DP all over again.

Also he has higher health than the average character?

Congrats, Capcom. You got your wish of making Dark Phoenix useless.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
RE6 must be almost ready, gotta push out those characters to top tier with movies and games coming soon.

You are playing Targeted Advertising: the movie: the game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PalmTreeFun posted:

Oh yeah, that's a good point. You had to build a team around Phoenix where Wesker fits on any one you want.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

flatluigi posted:

Oh yeah, that's a good point. You had to build a team around Phoenix where Wesker fits on any one you want.

Yeah Wesker is kind of like Phoenix, only with none of the risk, strategy or investment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did Viscant retract his comment later in boxarena, or does he still think Wesker got nerfed?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Wesker did get nerfed, he's just better than everyone else because of system changes and nerfs to other characters.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tae posted:

Did Viscant retract his comment later in boxarena, or does he still think Wesker got nerfed?

He's technically nerfed as a character it's insignificant against the general system changes that all help him and his counterpicks (and other top tiers) being nerfed in the ways they counter him. If you had the choice between vanilla Wesker and ultimate Wesker you'd choose Vanilla every single time.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I still hear how Zero shits on Wesker pretty hard but I guess that doesn't matter much because Zero is strictly a point Character and Wesker is all about either an Anchor or in XF2 + an assist.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fereydun posted:

He's technically nerfed as a character it's insignificant against the general system changes that all help him and his counterpicks (and other top tiers) being nerfed in the ways they counter him. If you had the choice between vanilla Wesker and ultimate Wesker you'd choose Vanilla every single time.

Also, while Marvel made keepaway more viable by taking out airdash block, characters with teleports are still really strong against that sort of thing, and that gives Wesker yet another advantage - not to mention his gunshot/teleport game got even more annoying.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fereydun posted:

I think the biggest thing is that he doesn't need to airdash and make himself vulnerable in order to attack. Nothing but gunshots and teleports everyday. I think the Shades make him a better anchor now than he was in vanilla, too. And with his OTG assist, there's basically nothing preventing you from putting him in the third slot on just about any team. Even characters with multiple OTG options like Spencer benefit from the gunshot in increasing combo damage, not to mention the unblockable potential.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
So I'm intent on playing Iron Fist, but everywhere with this fuckin' game is sold out. He's a bit outside of my usual playstyle; is his basic game still cancelling whiffes rekkas into rekkas to chain together hits and keep the pressure on and cancelling rekkas into chi to make them safe?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Despite the way things are going it's probably too early to be calling for nerfs already, but I wonder how much of a difference it would make if they took away Wesker's teleport cancels.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
The shades buff is uniquely unneccesary, roll it back.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Its cool and wesker should be buffed more, cause he owns.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Umbrella corp cause they ain't gon rain on me :angel:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ocatamai posted:

The shades buff is uniquely unneccesary, roll it back.
The shades buff is uniquely hilarious, buff it more.

Seriously though, I don't know who at Capcom HQ thought it was a good idea to give Wesker level 4 x-factor but I want to buy that guy a beer because lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Seizure Robot posted:

7 Weskers in the top 8, Yipes declaring the game to be rear end and Chris G crying. What a grand tourney.

Why was Chris G crying?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Buff him, but make the round start with his two teammates already dead.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

Why was Chris G crying?

He just looked utterly broken that he lost the tournament on what was essentially an input error. If I remember the play correctly, he was in X-Factor and doing an unsafe Hyper that whiffed, Rog's Wolverine was about to divekick him so ChrisG tried to DHC to Shinku hadouken to catch Wolvie mid dive kick (and probably would have killed him coz of Xfactor) but got Ryu's lvl 3 instead so he whiffed it, lost all his meters and lost the tournament like 15 seconds later. Rog was already down a character, and Wolvie was at like 30% health so if the hadouken landed, Rog woulda been down to one char with no meter to Chris G's two chars and three bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Roguelike posted:

Buff him, but make the round start with his two teammates already dead.

Weskers team members are just useless chaff anyway so no problem with this :c00l:

• Locked thread