Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bouncyman posted:

He just looked utterly broken that he lost the tournament on what was essentially an input error. If I remember the play correctly, he was in X-Factor and doing an unsafe Hyper that whiffed, Rog's Wolverine was about to divekick him so ChrisG tried to DHC to Shinku hadouken to catch Wolvie mid dive kick (and probably would have killed him coz of Xfactor) but got Ryu's lvl 3 instead so he whiffed it, lost all his meters and lost the tournament like 15 seconds later. Rog was already down a character, and Wolvie was at like 30% health so if the hadouken landed, Rog woulda been down to one char with no meter to Chris G's two chars and three bars.

Apparently it's actually an input bug with Ultimate's input buffer where it will input DP instead of QCF unless you hit HCF. I know I've run into a few times when doing Hawkeye poo poo and it's absolutely infuriating that he basically lost because of Capcom's stupidity. I sincerely doubt that someone on his level input a DP instead of a QCF with that much time to spare in the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010
When news about Wesker's shades buff first came out I got confused by some of the wording and thought that he was forced to put his shades back on after using Maximum Wesker. Now I'm just confused as to why they did it the other way around.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Fereydun posted:

Apparently it's actually an input bug with Ultimate's input buffer where it will input DP instead of QCF unless you hit HCF. I know I've run into a few times when doing Hawkeye poo poo and it's absolutely infuriating that he basically lost because of Capcom's stupidity. I sincerely doubt that someone on his level input a DP instead of a QCF with that much time to spare in the input.

I, too, have had problems with this when trying things like immediately DHCing from Strange's Spell of Vishanti to Frank's Shopping Cart super. I never thought to try HCF, though. It's still a really, really dumb thing that I don't recall ever being a problem in Vanilla, though.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I will actually sometimes start up a Maximum Wesker when he's the last guy left on my team and x-factor cancel it after he takes his shades off but before it has a chance to do anything just so that his shades are off instead of just using the x-factor. Feels good man.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One of my favorite 'Wesker is too good' stories on the NEC stream was some guy saying he had experimented with snapping his friend's Wesker in and killing him, but all that happened was his friend was getting a free mix up off Wesker being snapped in.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

The Rokstar posted:

I will actually sometimes start up a Maximum Wesker when he's the last guy left on my team and x-factor cancel it after he takes his shades off but before it has a chance to do anything just so that his shades are off instead of just using the x-factor. Feels good man.

They really should just have given him a devil trigger style super that was just the super cutscene and then nothing.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Cinroth posted:

They really should just have given him a devil trigger style super that was just the super cutscene and then nothing.

I liked it better when I thought his taunt took his glasses off or you'd just have to have the crap beat out of you, then he puts them on after maximum wesker.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fereydun posted:

Hooooly gently caress, are you for real?! I thought I was just retarded, but that has definitely come up for me.

quote:

So I'm intent on playing Iron Fist, but everywhere with this fuckin' game is sold out. He's a bit outside of my usual playstyle; is his basic game still cancelling whiffes rekkas into rekkas to chain together hits and keep the pressure on and cancelling rekkas into chi to make them safe?

Chi is actually unsafe, but has a hit of super armor. So you can actually use it as a quasi-parry.

I've thought about using Iron Fist, but because of how incompetent he is against aerial opponents, you really need to build a team around him. Something like Iron Fist/Doom (Hidden Missiles)/Spencer (Wire Grapple M). Doom can shut down super jumpers with missiles, and Spencer assist allows IF to relaunch where it would normally be impossible (since Iron Fist's launcher can't hit airborne opponents).

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I really like that Wolverine/Frank synergy with picture -> Tools of Survival -> Berserker Charge -> raw tag Frank -> picture for quick level 4 Frank.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

EroticBlacksmith posted:

When news about Wesker's shades buff first came out I got confused by some of the wording and thought that he was forced to put his shades back on after using Maximum Wesker. Now I'm just confused as to why they did it the other way around.

Quote from Seth Killian during Ultimate NorCal vs Capcom: "the glasses are restored by any hyper you do or if you tag him out."

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Also fun is mashing a super too early and having the game buffer the original input and DHC automatically to your next character.

I've largely grown out of it, but as a scrub these things too I forget sometimes.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
As far as xbox pads go, is it better to use the d-pad or the analog stick? d-pad has me occasionally flubbing QCF/QCB motions due to skipping the diagonal input, but on the analog stick I can't input a DP to save my life. I'm sure both problems could be solved by simply practicing more, but at the moment I'm not really sure which control method I should be focusing on(leaning towards stick to be honest).

Also wondering about mashing. Tried testing both for a bit in training and the results were sorta random but I guess I had the most success with alternating between two buttons. Is it better to just hit one button or should I be going apeshit on all the face buttons? Would spamming the L+M+H button lead to ezmode mashing?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

As far as xbox pads go, is it better to use the d-pad or the analog stick? d-pad has me occasionally flubbing QCF/QCB motions due to skipping the diagonal input, but on the analog stick I can't input a DP to save my life. I'm sure both problems could be solved by simply practicing more, but at the moment I'm not really sure which control method I should be focusing on(leaning towards stick to be honest).

To be frank, neither are any good. The Xbox dpad has problems due to its construction--it has to be sanded in order to be of any use. As for the stick, it is virtually impossible to have any real precision with any analog stick. I guess my advice would be to sand the dpad, but the best option would be to buy a stick or fightpad.

quote:

Also wondering about mashing. Tried testing both for a bit in training and the results were sorta random but I guess I had the most success with alternating between two buttons. Is it better to just hit one button or should I be going apeshit on all the face buttons? Would spamming the L+M+H button lead to ezmode mashing?

Mashing works like this--any time a mashable hyper hits, if a button is hit within a short time span, you'll get an extra hit. So mashing out a single button is best.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Was matched up against my first skull-ranked connection and he pulled the plug once his first character was down. The ratings work!

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
Wesker got buffed because Capcom was feeling insecure about their characters getting owned by Marvel dudes. :colbert:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

pad talk

If you're going to be using an stock xbox pad I would recommend you use the analog stick. It will not be super precise and you won't be able to play C. Viper, but if you practice how to handle the analog stick you'll be just fine. Be aware though that depending on how worn in the analog stick already is will factor in to how you need to manipulate it to get the proper inputs. Also certain crouching BnB's on characters will be much harder than usual, so make sure you practice with input display on till you can get it consistently.

But yes your best bet would be to try out a stick or fight pad and see if you like that if possible.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
Figured a fight stick would be the way to go as I've read nothing good about the xbox pad + fighting games, but I don't want to immediately invest in one only to find out I don't particularly care for the genre once I get deeper into it. Guess I'll try modding a d-pad and if that doesn't help, go with the analog for the time being.

Thanks for explaining how mashing works too.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
A fight pad is <$20 new and it's miles ahead of the default 360 dpad.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fereydun posted:

This happens to me a lot when I play Nova. Getting Centurion Rush H instead of Gravimetric Pulse H is a bummer.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
So I'm thinking of a Phoenix Wright team using ChrisG's strategy of THCing with Dante's million dollars to cover for evidence gathering. Problem is I never bothered to learn Dante in vanilla so I took him into training mode for a little bit. I don't have the greatest execution in the world, so I'm finding this bold canceling from stinger to be a huge issue. I know I need more than an hours practice to real get it down, but I can't see myself ever being able to reliably bold cancel from stinger in a real match.

Is there a point when Dante just clicks? Also, is he viable without crazy bold canceling combos? I'd like to play around with him while I'm trying to get a grasp on bold canceling.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
You don't need a fight stick to play marvel, a bunch of tourny players like fanatiq use an pad so don't feel obligated to get a stick. I use the xbox pad and the analog stick for input and I can do DP inputs 80% of the time and do alright online.

I've never played on a stick, though. I might buy one in the future to try it out.

Bosushi! posted:

Is there a point when Dante just clicks? Also, is he viable without crazy bold canceling combos? I'd like to play around with him while I'm trying to get a grasp on bold canceling.

You can play dante without bold cancels and do OK. Just do easy stuff like stinger > mash H > launcher into combo or hammer > mash df H > S into combo.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Fanatiq plays on the playstation pad, which is infinitely better than the xbox pad. It's not that sticks are just better, it's that the xbox pad itself really sucks.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
You're defending playing on pad by saying you only fail DPs 20% of the time?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
IIRC fanatiq sometimes plays on one of those new xbox pads with pop-up d-pads.

I'm not saying the xbox pad is better than a stick (since I haven't tried one out), just that you can play relatively well on a pad with some practice.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Fanatiq is the only top marvel player that plays on pad that I'm aware of. He's also been playing on pad for like 8 years.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Sade posted:

Fanatiq is the only top marvel player that plays on pad that I'm aware of. He's also been playing on pad for like 8 years.

MastaCJ plays on pad too, if I recall correctly.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I guess he's not a top player but Unkn0wn was playing on pad as well wasn't he?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
To be honest, the problem with pad is not directional inputs. A skilled pad player actually can beat stick with those. A pad or hitbox is just physically faster than a stick for rapid directional inputs, but it isn't as big of a thing in mvc3 as it is in games like Tekken.

The problem is the buttons, which are more demanding in marvel than most games.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Brosnan posted:

You're defending playing on pad by saying you only fail DPs 20% of the time?

I heard Fanatiq commentating at WNF one time and he mentioned, quietly, that he couldn't play UMvC3 at one of the preview events because the machine was set up with a stick and he never learned to do DP's. He does double fireballs motions instead of DP's.

I was just watching NEC top8 and I'm pissed that DJ Houshen lost. His Felicia was looking sick and he should have won his match with OMG itz Andre.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Bosushi! posted:

I'd definitely say there's a point where Dante's execution comes naturally, but it might take a while. It's worth it to learn (at minimum) how to bold cancel stinger to Reverb Shock to Fireworks to make it safe so you can bully people with it all day. Once you get that timing down his combos are baby easy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm still trying to fight fate and get better at this game and the advice I got here has helped. I'm using Felicia and from suggestions here switched to Dr Doom who I really appreciate for his beam move alone. I'm liking both of them but I'm having trouble with my third member. Currently I'm using She Hulk since she was in my old crappier team and I know how she works to some extent but it sounds like she's not that great anymore and I'm looking to replace her but I'm not sure who would go well with Felicia and Doom.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

rocket USA posted:

I'd definitely say there's a point where Dante's execution comes naturally, but it might take a while. It's worth it to learn (at minimum) how to bold cancel stinger to Reverb Shock to Fireworks to make it safe so you can bully people with it all day. Once you get that timing down his combos are baby easy.

Thanks for the encouragement. Do you just hit bold move and input the next special as soon as possible? The guide mentions plinking the bold cancel inputs into the next special move.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Patch incoming yall
http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/05/niitsuma-tweets-about-umvc3-patch-coming-before-the-end-of-the-year/

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully they'll at least manage to get a few major balance tweaks in, even if it's mostly gonna be bugfixes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Brosnan posted:

Hopefully they'll at least manage to get a few major balance tweaks in, even if it's mostly gonna be bugfixes.

But last time they did a balance tweek a month after the game came out it caused an uproar.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Gutcruncher posted:

But last time they did a balance tweek a month after the game came out it caused an uproar.

And Capcom/Niitsuma didn't care.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So we can safely add Haggar to the ranks of Frank's Friends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1IfLt7phw&feature=player_embedded

Seriously Frank is like BFF's with everybody.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gutcruncher posted:

An uproar that quickly died down because Sent was still fine before and after the patch. Just changed him from a no-brainer team choice to something a little more saner.

So really, I have hopes that they do something to Wesker.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I remember when Maximum Wesker did crap damage and didn't give him a flat damage increase after activating. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

An uproar that quickly died down because Sent was still fine before and after the patch. Just changed him from a no-brainer team choice to something a little more saner.

No not really, sentinel was only a "no-brianer team choice" because it was still the first week of the game being out and people hadn't figured out how easy it is to play around him. Sentinel didn't need a nerf.

• Locked thread