Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

My, Earth really is full of things!

Moon Slayer posted:

Given how common this is nowadays and the fact that you are already at the medical stage, I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure that at this point Peace Corps already has you down for a spot in a particular program, barring any problems that come up with the medical and legal check.

If it makes you feel any better, Peace Corps was my very first "real job," everything else was just summer work during college, and I hadn't had any of that for two years before I applied.

Actually, it does make me feel better. I just got a response saying that I should expect to get more "program information" in the next 6-8 weeks. Does that mean that it'll ABSOLUTELY be six to eight weeks? Also, the "program information" that they refer to is probably the invite, right? RIGHT!?!

Also, they said that they expect me to gain more teaching experience since I'm out of work. Should I have mentioned that the only group I could find in my city that doesn't require certification lost funding for the program I was helping with?

Patience and flexibility, patience and flexibility, patience and flexibility.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Is there any flexibility on having the bachelors degree? I have an AA and lot of practical experience in everything from cooking to contracting to military experience. Is the degree an actual hang up to prevent someone from joining? I'd like to devote some of my experience know how to help people. Does any military experience make me more qualified?

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Yay Pudding! posted:

Is there any flexibility on having the bachelors degree? I have an AA and lot of practical experience in everything from cooking to contracting to military experience. Is the degree an actual hang up to prevent someone from joining? I'd like to devote some of my experience know how to help people. Does any military experience make me more qualified?

There is definitely flexibility. The FAQ page talks about this issue concerning college education.

I think it is best to look over what programs you want to participate in and to talk to a PC recruiter on what you want to do.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Here's a weird one: Is it possible to join the Peace Corps if you've served in a foreign armed forces?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Here's a weird one: Is it possible to join the Peace Corps if you've served in a foreign armed forces?

That's a good question. I assume you are a US citizen now. Did you do intelligence work when you were in the armed forces? What countries military did yous serve in?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm a dual citizen and I'm probably joining the Canadian reserves since I live in Canada now.

Fedex-Pope
Oct 31, 2004

Finished my motivation essay. I'm having trouble with the whole cross-cultural experiences essay. I just can't seem to think of anything that applies. What should I do?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fedex-Pope posted:

Finished my motivation essay. I'm having trouble with the whole cross-cultural experiences essay. I just can't seem to think of anything that applies. What should I do?
I did a poor job on my first attempt and received this info:

quote:

Please address one particular instance when you had to adapt your behavior to new circumstances. This does not necessarily have to have been an international situation; it could be adapting to a new roommate, to a new job, to new ideas you were exposed to in school, etc. Please be complete with this assignment as we are evaluating not only the content but also your writing ability.

Fedex-Pope
Oct 31, 2004

Thanks! That is helpful

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^
PC Kazakh has officially been shut down, everyone COSed and the vols being distributed to other posts. Officially, no reason. Rumor mill has it that it was because of terrorist attack worries, but it was also the post with the most assaults on women.

I wonder if we'll get any of them here...

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
I am in PC Kaz now. I am getting on a train tomorrow for the "transition conference." We were given 5 days to pack up our belongings.

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

internetstuff posted:

I am in PC Kaz now. I am getting on a train tomorrow for the "transition conference." We were given 5 days to pack up our belongings.

Crazy. Any idea as to where they might be reassigning you?

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^
Come to Georgia! We have pomegranates and electricity...sometimes.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Stuntcat posted:

Come to Georgia! We have pomegranates and electricity...sometimes.

Hah, I met a guy who was a PCV in Georgia back in 2008... when Russia invaded. He got relocated to China.

gimme the lute
Aug 8, 2008

Dancing through the AL East
I have my interview today! :dance: I have been practicing ways of inserting "patient and flexible" into ordinary conversation, do any of you have any other last-minute tips?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

gimme the lute posted:

I have my interview today! :dance: I have been practicing ways of inserting "patient and flexible" into ordinary conversation, do any of you have any other last-minute tips?

Don't stress over it, just look presentable and speak clearly, and don't admit to any past drug use if there was any.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Can anyone give me any clear information on having asthma and joining the peace corp? The medical thing says they will only reject those who have a severe form of the disease but they don't specify what constitutes severe.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
^^ It probably means "has attacks even with medication, and attacks can cause hospitalization." It is about your safety when you are too far from most doctor's offices/hospitals and can't deal with an attack yourself. If it only pops up when you are doing heavy lifting/running, it will probably be fine. You could also call up medical services and ask.

gimme the lute posted:

So how did it go?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Slaan posted:

^^ It probably means "has attacks even with medication, and attacks can cause hospitalization." It is about your safety when you are too far from most doctor's offices/hospitals and can't deal with an attack yourself. If it only pops up when you are doing heavy lifting/running, it will probably be fine. You could also call up medical services and ask.

Yeah the only thing that really causes my asthma to start acting up is running a lot, and the worst is having to run in the freezing cold. But I haven't had an asthma attack in my entire adult life and any time I experience symptoms one puff of the inhaler does away with it.

gimme the lute
Aug 8, 2008

Dancing through the AL East

Slaan posted:

So how did it go?

It went pretty well, I have now been nominated for a math education position! My only comment is that apparently "30 hours of relevant teaching/tutoring experience required" is now more like "6 months of relevant teaching/tutoring experience preferred." I'll keep all of you updated as my application progresses.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Sucks, like a Baltic squid.

n0pe posted:

Yeah the only thing that really causes my asthma to start acting up is running a lot, and the worst is having to run in the freezing cold. But I haven't had an asthma attack in my entire adult life and any time I experience symptoms one puff of the inhaler does away with it.

You can basically have anything as long as you can have a doctor sign off on it. I have about the same amount of asthma, and they just want to know it's not an issue.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

gimme the lute posted:

It went pretty well, I have now been nominated for a math education position! My only comment is that apparently "30 hours of relevant teaching/tutoring experience required" is now more like "6 months of relevant teaching/tutoring experience preferred." I'll keep all of you updated as my application progresses.

I can barely tutor others in math and I'm taking advanced statistics. I can't even fathom doing it in a second language :staredog:

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
Finally got medically cleared to serve world-wide! Woot.

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

Ronald Spiers posted:

Finally got medically cleared to serve world-wide! Woot.

Nice! I got my clearance in October. Now you just have to wait VERY patiently for the call from placement to discuss final program info. I'm still waiting for mine (they said I should get a call sometime between the fifth and the twenty-first).

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

internetstuff posted:

Come on over to your (sorta) neighbors here in Mongolia! I met one of your recent RPCVs in the capital last month and sounds like you guys could use some gers :)

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Darfuri War Orphan posted:

Nice! I got my clearance in October. Now you just have to wait VERY patiently for the call from placement to discuss final program info. I'm still waiting for mine (they said I should get a call sometime between the fifth and the twenty-first).

Initially Peace Corps told me I'm most likely going to China and staging won't start till later June. They'll probably contact me in April or May. I'm just glad I got over the medical hurdle. Gives me plenty of time to get some things done at home.

Did they give you any hints on where you might go? Did you put down any geographical preferences?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Question: I've heard that you can't enter the peacecorp if you have debt or student loans. Is that true or not? I'd really hope that isn't the case because this is something I've been considering for a while. I've got a degree in biology, worked in two hospitals and several pharmacies, have no medical problems, and I have experience tutoring so the teaching part wouldn't be a problem either. Anyone have any info on this?

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

As long as you can make payments on the loans you'll be fine. Some private loans will let you defer for Peace Corps. If you can't, then you can either arrange for it to be paid some other way, like having it taken out of your readjustment allowance that you earn each month (I believe it's $375/month now). I knew several volunteers with credit card debt and student loans and as long as you can keep up the payments or get them deferred you'll be fine.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Question: I've heard that you can't enter the peacecorp if you have debt or student loans. Is that true or not? I'd really hope that isn't the case because this is something I've been considering for a while. I've got a degree in biology, worked in two hospitals and several pharmacies, have no medical problems, and I have experience tutoring so the teaching part wouldn't be a problem either. Anyone have any info on this?

I had a federal loan and was able to defer it completely for 2 years. Serving in the Peace Corps is specifically listed as a reason you can apply for that particular deferment.

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

Ronald Spiers posted:

Initially Peace Corps told me I'm most likely going to China and staging won't start till later June. They'll probably contact me in April or May. I'm just glad I got over the medical hurdle. Gives me plenty of time to get some things done at home.

Did they give you any hints on where you might go? Did you put down any geographical preferences?

Well, I've been nominated for Latin America and originally listed North Africa/Middle East, Eastern Europe/Central Asia and Asia as my preferences, but I imagine they decided to nominate me for Latin America because I took four semesters of Spanish in college. I was also told that I had been nominated for a program leaving in January, but that seems rather unlikely at this point.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

After spending $2,500 on medical clearance/glasses and nearly a year of waiting, I had the final "suitability and placement review" phone conversation today and received a verbal invitation with notification that the formal invite is on the way. :)

The representative asked me if I was comfortable riding a bike up to 25 miles on rough terrain - I assume this is a worst-case scenario spent over a day and round-trip and that they don't actually want me to do a daily grueling ride in the African heat. If not, then I suppose my legs will look nice.

I'm excited to discover the region I'm being placed in so that I can figure out what I should bring and what amenities will be available - Hopefully I'll be able to post post post after February.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I would be shocked if they expect you to do that daily. That's absurd.

It's probably the distance to the nearest significant town, or something.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Well I apparently need to send in about 5 essays 'personal statements' to the medical people. Why didn't they tell you to put that stuff in for any outliers when you first did the medical review? :argh:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Can anyone tell me about couples in the Peace Corps? We'll have been married for a couple of years at the point we look at going, and we both have backgrounds in sciences but I have no idea how much that helps.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Going to Zambia in early Feb!!

Slaan posted:

Well I apparently need to send in about 5 essays 'personal statements' to the medical people. Why didn't they tell you to put that stuff in for any outliers when you first did the medical review? :argh:
Could you elaborate?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone tell me about couples in the Peace Corps? We'll have been married for a couple of years at the point we look at going, and we both have backgrounds in sciences but I have no idea how much that helps.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.howvol.faq posted:

Legally married couples may serve together in the Peace Corps. Both people must qualify, and there must be a matching job for each person in the same location. Couples must be legally married as defined by federal law and have been married for at least 12 months before their scheduled departure date.

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 7, 2012

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

They had me fill out an extra form when I did my medical documentation due to having Acid Reflux. I just received a letter from them saying they want a personal statement regarding it, and several other things, even though my Doctor signed off on all of it. If they needed me to write something up for them as well, they should have told me to do so in the first place.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I saw that but I still don't know too much about how common it is, experiences, etc.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I saw that but I still don't know too much about how common it is, experiences, etc.

It's pretty common. You would be placed in the same village together, though not necessarily the same job. Peace Corps will go out of their way to find living accommodation for a couple, although I've heard that in the two months of in-country training sometimes married couples live separately. That may just be if Peace Corps can't find housing for a couple, though.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I recently found out that I have TB (It's very WTF.) I'm currently treating it and it will be resolved just after I apply this summer, but does anyone know if that might effect my application?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^
I think there are four couples - maybe five - at my post who are married, and all of them live together. Four with host families, one in an apartment.

• Locked thread