Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

StickFigs posted:

Guess Watchdog just sucks.

You don't need a Task Manager - just forget they exist and you'll have a much better experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Watchdog isn't a task manager exactly. It's a useful tool though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Yea that's weird, I never had Watchdog act like that when I had it installed. Also it's less a task killer and more a resource monitor. Great for catching rouge apps.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

StickFigs posted:

Nevermind, after using Watchdog for a day I noticed all my programs started to fail including the google.gapps program and random OS stuff. Uninstalled it and the problem went away.

Guess Watchdog just sucks.
Why not just pony up the $1 for autostarts as that seems like what you want to do anyways? I used it to stop Google maps from running all the time.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dissss posted:

You don't need a Task Manager - just forget they exist and you'll have a much better experience
I finally found a legitimate need for a task manager.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to "go offline" in Skype without signing out, which requries entering my password again on the next session. But if I "Force stop" Skype, it will sign in automatically the next time I start it. TW's build in task manager is much more convenient for doing that than Manage Applications.

Unless I'm a moron and don't get Skype, which is entirely possible.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lunameow posted:

I swear by Alarm Clock Xtreme (there's a free, ad-supported version, as well). I'm an insanely heavy sleeper, and have set it up so that I'm forced to do bunches of half-asleep math problems to turn the alarm off, with a backup alarm that sounds completely different so that even if I adjust to the first one and sleep through it, the second one will still wake me up.

I'm horrible at math so this alarm App makes me wake up whenever I need it to. Simple division has never been so hard :saddowns:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Are there any recipe apps even remotely similar to Paprika on iOS?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I finally found a legitimate need for a task manager.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to "go offline" in Skype without signing out, which requries entering my password again on the next session. But if I "Force stop" Skype, it will sign in automatically the next time I start it. TW's build in task manager is much more convenient for doing that than Manage Applications.

Unless I'm a moron and don't get Skype, which is entirely possible.

You don't have this button on the main page? I know they could do well to place it in more of the app but you can definitely go offline.

EDIT: I like your solution though because even when offline skype is still running a notification and such and it's annoying.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shanakin posted:

I know they could do well to place it in more of the app but you can definitely go offline.
Ah, you're right. I didn't think they provided that functionality separate from "Sign out" in the menu.

Shanakin posted:

EDIT: I like your solution though because even when offline skype is still running a notification and such and it's annoying.
Yeah, that's actually my real complaint, that there's no way to stop Skype from running its foreground service (the notification icon) without having to reenter your password. Other IM clients (Beem, Talk) let you do that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Skype doesn't use C2DM does it?

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I just flashed my touchpad with android. I need only two apps:

1. A basic clock / weather / RSS / Calendar app that I can run 24/7 while the touchpad hangs on my wall.

2. A remote control for AppleTV or Boxeebox. Not just a remote, but a full media library browser, like Remote for iOS devices by Apple. Does such an app exist for Android that can control your AppleTV or BoxeeBox? You can see all of your library, including art and just select it and play it?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Essobie posted:

Edit... hurr... read the OP. Emit seems to be what I'm looking for, so I'll give it a shot. Anyone know anything about how much of a pain it is?
If you have problems let me know. I'm one of the developers.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Any good suggestions for offline GPS apps? I am looking at GaiaGPS (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro) Decent price and might work in a pinch.

Im traveling to Germany, I don't have cell service out there, and I want to have GPS for cheaper than paying for maps download for my Garmin.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Any good suggestions for offline GPS apps? I am looking at GaiaGPS (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro) Decent price and might work in a pinch.

Im traveling to Germany, I don't have cell service out there, and I want to have GPS for cheaper than paying for maps download for my Garmin.

Not good by any stretch of the imagination, but I use MapDroyd, which is free, to just make sure I have some idea where I am when out of the country.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Axim posted:

I just flashed my touchpad with android. I need only two apps:

1. A basic clock / weather / RSS / Calendar app that I can run 24/7 while the touchpad hangs on my wall.

2. A remote control for AppleTV or Boxeebox. Not just a remote, but a full media library browser, like Remote for iOS devices by Apple. Does such an app exist for Android that can control your AppleTV or BoxeeBox? You can see all of your library, including art and just select it and play it?

2. I found remote for iTunes that does the job well enough.

1. I am still looking for a full screen android app that shows me a clock, weather, RSS, calendar updates. I want to leave it running 24/7 while hanging on my wall. I used an app called Flixi on WebOS, but I can't find an equivalent on Android. http://www.precentral.net/quick-app-flixi

Also is there any way to make it so that the screen stays on 24/7, no auto-shutoff?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
You can set an Android device to never turn off the screen while plugged in, it's Settings -> Applications -> Development -> "Stay Awake" [checkbox]. I assume it'll be plugged in if it's on 24/7. The screen will still turn off if you command it off, just not automatically. Do you need to worry about any kind of burn-in?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

^^ It's a Touchpad which is LCD so no burn-in.

Axim, I'd focus on finding three or four configurable widgets to do the clock, weather, RSS, and calendar. It can't be that hard to find some that all look nice together.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LastInLine posted:

^^ It's a Touchpad which is LCD so no burn-in.

Everything I got when I searched for "LCD burn in" seems to disagree. What's the deal?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Everything I got when I searched for "LCD burn in" seems to disagree. What's the deal?
LCDs don't burn in. They just don't. AMOLEDs do, but it's simply not possible for LCDs to burn in as there's nothing to burn (no phosphors).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a question about live wallpapers. I have an animated GIF I'd love to make into a live wallpaper. I found there's a program called Wally that would do this, but I can't find it. Are there any apps that do this? Alternately, would any dev goons want to turn this GIF into a live wallpaper in exchange for a forums gift cert or somethign?

This would look awesome as a live wallpaper, subtle and dark.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

LastInLine posted:

LCDs don't burn in. They just don't. AMOLEDs do, but it's simply not possible for LCDs to burn in as there's nothing to burn (no phosphors).

Maybe this is what he's referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

rotaryfun posted:

Maybe this is what he's referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

This happens, not so much on more modern LCDs, but I've seen it in effect personally.

I hate the "It's not burn-in because there's no phosphors!" argument. The effect is the same, even if the mechanism is different. Stop being a pedantic gently caress and let us use burn-in regardless of the display technology. As it stands, we're talking about the effect, not the cause.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a question about live wallpapers. I have an animated GIF I'd love to make into a live wallpaper. I found there's a program called Wally that would do this, but I can't find it. Are there any apps that do this? Alternately, would any dev goons want to turn this GIF into a live wallpaper in exchange for a forums gift cert or somethign?

This would look awesome as a live wallpaper, subtle and dark.
Will this app do the needful?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there any difference between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile besides the name and the install size?

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Is there an easy way of sharing a location that you find in google maps on your desktop to the google maps app on android ?
I can't open the .kmz that i sent myself :argh:

^^^^ I think that one renders the pages on a opera server and other renders the pages on your device, but i dont know which is which.

Micr0chiP fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 5, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, I guess I meant image persistance; didn't realize it would get so heated over terminology. What with the Wikipedia article on burn-in talking about LCD burn-in and all. I think burn-in has probably been the non-technical term for image persistance since we could crane our heads far enough back to stare at the sun.

The point is, how you gonna make it not have a picture of a clock that's there forever? It certainly seems to happen to the display devices in big-box retail places.

Micr0chiP posted:

Is there an easy way of sharing a location that you find in google maps on your desktop to the google maps app on android ?

Will Maps read an intent out of clicking on GPS coordinates in a text message or email?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Micr0chiP posted:

I use chrome 2 phone and this works perfectly. The first time you might need to tell your phone how to handle a maps link, but if you've already done this via another app, it'll just work.

Chrome to Phone

edit: I should mention that there is a firefox extension out there that also works with the Chrome to Phone android app.

beerinator fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 5, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Manky posted:

Is there any difference between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile besides the name and the install size?

Opera Mini runs everything through Opera's servers to reformat them, and runs on most lovely featurephones as well as smartphones. Opera Mobile is a full browser that doesn't rely on Opera's servers.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

Splizwarf posted:

Will Maps read an intent out of clicking on GPS coordinates in a text message or email?

Yes it should, just send yourself a URL and maps will open it.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
I dont have the option to download the kmz on the gmail app.

Nevermind i tested it on the browser and i have the option to download, i just have to learn how to teach the phone to open the file with google earth.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Micr0chiP posted:

I dont have the option to download the kmz on the gmail app.

Nevermind i tested it on the browser and i have the option to download, i just have to learn how to teach the phone to open the file with google earth.

If you can press something to launch an app, you can long-press it to choose the app it launches.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Will this app do the needful?

Works perfectly thanks!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
How is it as a wallpaper? I really like the image but it looks like it would be pretty small. Hate to see that blown up and pixelated.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

Opera Mini runs everything through Opera's servers to reformat them, and runs on most lovely featurephones as well as smartphones. Opera Mobile is a full browser that doesn't rely on Opera's servers.

Ahhh, I see. Opera Mobile has an option for "Opera Turbo," which I guess is the only option in Opera Mini.

rotaryfun posted:

How is it as a wallpaper? I really like the image but it looks like it would be pretty small. Hate to see that blown up and pixelated.

It's not great, but I can live with it.

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 5, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a VPN client for Android that goons are willing to recommend?

E: Also the ad-free version of TripIt is Amazon's daily free app. Any goons know of it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

C-Euro posted:

E: Also the ad-free version of TripIt is Amazon's daily free app. Any goons know of it?

It kind of weirds me out that people make travel plans that are more complicated than "Arrive at destination, begin drinking with friends."

I am a child.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

It kind of weirds me out that people make travel plans that are more complicated than "Arrive at destination, begin drinking with friends."

I am a child.
If that makes you a child then it makes me a bad adult. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Inspector_71 posted:

I am a child.

This how I start all business trips. With the exception of Casao. Fuckers got to me right off the god drat train.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I'm getting really sick of the amount of pages I have when I look at my applications on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I'm looking for either a "category" app or some kind of theme that fakes a start menu where I can modify things in. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Folder Organizer.

My own question: when did the Market stop having any filters like popularity or name or anything besides paid or free?

• Locked thread