Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So what's the story behind the picture? Can't watch that video outside the UK.

(edit - I know what the picture is depicting, but know nothing about the photographer who took it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bill Eppridge explains to Rankin how he was so close to it happening and how he'd developed a closeness with RFK that the image still haunts him to the point where he refuses to hang the picture anywhere to this day.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

I have no idea where the proper place to post this is (or if it's allowed), but I started a SA-Mart thread where you may now purchase prints of my work.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3452903

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

woot fatigue posted:

I have no idea where the proper place to post this is (or if it's allowed), but I started a SA-Mart thread where you may now purchase prints of my work.

Well, there goes my money.

(I'll order something when I next get paid -- my walls are too empty.)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

woot fatigue posted:

Awesome! I'll place an order once I can decide on one.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So I've booked a trip up Kilimanjaro next summer, and I'm already thinking about what camera gear I'm going to take.

Do I shoot film, or take my 400D? Both? Take my MF camera?

Argh.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

So I've booked a trip up Kilimanjaro next summer, and I'm already thinking about what camera gear I'm going to take.

Argh.

The answer is always film, as big as you're capable of shooting. So, lots of film + MF camera ;)

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Argh.

Sounds like a good time to take up large format.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So I got into an argument with a photographer friend the other day.

Her argument: "You keep buying all these cameras - you'll never become a better photographer if you don't stick with one camera and learn it inside and out."

My argument: "I love the mechanics and beauty of the machine just as much as I love the image it produces - I want to use and learn about every camera I can; every one I've bought has its own personality and niche, and I feel like I've learned a lot from it."

What are your opinions, dorks? I know this is like asking an AA group what their opinion of buying alcohol is, but I was curious :)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm with you. I love figuring out how to operate a new (old) camera. If anything, the lack of familiarity makes me more deliberate with the shutter.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

woot fatigue posted:

Please tell me you have a blog where I can learn to produce images with such stunning tone? These are phenomenal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sticking with a single camera makes about as much sense as sticking with a single lens. You're excluding yourself from a whole bunch of creative options.

That said, a camera is just a dark box with a hole in it. If you could use any lens with any film/sensor easily, there'd be no reason to use one camera over another.

XTimmy posted:

Please tell me you have a blog where I can learn to produce images with such stunning tone? These are phenomenal.

He's posted his methods before.. but heck if I can remember where. I think it was in SAD at some point.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

xzzy posted:

He's posted his methods before.. but heck if I can remember where. I think it was in SAD at some point.

If anyone could find this I'd love to know.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Her argument: "You keep buying all these cameras - you'll never become a better photographer if you don't stick with one camera and learn it inside and out."

I dont think its necessary, but I find that the first week or two of acutations on an unfamiliar camera are generally less aesthetically pleasing to me. It is probably due to putting some of my attention onto the controls, but it's also a part of photography for me, but ymmv as I have gear lust.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

XTimmy posted:

It's usually layers all the way down. :psyduck:

He mentions a little of what he does in comments on this image.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 5, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

xzzy posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_personality_disorder

;) Just kidding. I would kill to create images as perfect and beautiful as his. I would love to see his methods - I must have missed that post when it was originally posted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

QPZIL posted:

;) Just kidding. I would kill to create images as perfect and beautiful as his. I would love to see his methods - I must have missed that post when it was originally posted.

As I recall, OCD actually does play a big part in his image processing.

I tried searching for his post, but couldn't find it. I'm sure someone will stumble in here who has it bookmarked.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

QPZIL posted:

My argument: "I love the mechanics and beauty of the machine just as much as I love the image it produces - I want to use and learn about every camera I can; every one I've bought has its own personality and niche, and I feel like I've learned a lot from it."

What are your opinions, dorks? I know this is like asking an AA group what their opinion of buying alcohol is, but I was curious :)

I think there's a distinction between camera hobbyist and photographer. The two aren't mutually exclusive - there are plenty of photographers who geek out about cameras but still produce amazing work. However I feel there is a huge subset of camera hobbyists that are essentially just that but claim to be photographers when they're more focused on getting pin sharp gear and getting the best "value" - they're obviously into their cameras more than what the camera produces.

It sounds like you're more of a camera hobbyist when it comes to cameras, but you don't take that to mean you're better at photography because of it. You're appreciating the mechanics and design of the camera rather than using it as a penis substitution. It won't strictly make you a better photographer except for learning things like how to meter on an old film body and rely on non-automatic modes and shoot only a select number of exposures.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

xzzy posted:

I tried searching for his post, but couldn't find it. I'm sure someone will stumble in here who has it bookmarked.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3227180&userid=114841#post370694612

I think this is the post in question.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Don't have archives, can someone repost or message me?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

A5H posted:

Don't have archives, can someone repost or message me?

The image links are broken, so all it is is text now :\

quote:

Well, since you asked... (I want to apologize in advance for the length of this post, but once I got started, I just kept kept going. So in other words, if you're interested, hopefully this will explain a bit. Some of it covers the process, some of it the reasoning, and with some bonus E/N poo poo thrown in for good measure. Anyways, I'm going to split it into two parts so you can ignore the second part if the first satisfies.)

Part I

Say your grass needs cutting. The most rational solution is to either start up the mower and cut it yourself, or pay a service to cut it for you. Every once in awhile though, you read about some whackjob who has spent the past ten years on his or her knees, ruler and scissors in hand, measuring each individual blade of grass before making a perfect 45 degree cut from the tip with said scissors.

It's kind of like that.

In most cases each photo starts out as a bunch of photos:

- Bracketed RAW files: generally around 5, but as many as 20 depending on the contrast range of the scene. These are spaced 1 stop apart, using the existing light sources present, whether natural or artificial

- A few shots using artificial lighting (Photogenic Powerlights, which are monolights)

- If there's some nasty reflections affecting multiple surface planes, I'll throw in a few with the polarizer adjusted to eliminate or minimize each reflection.

So there's all of the ingredients. The next step is to convert them all. Remove any chromatic aberrations, lens distortion, etc, but no noise removal. Now that they're all converted, they're all stacked into one layered PSD file. At this point I am about two hours into the editing process.

At this point you're thinking "Alright, sounds pretty normal. He's going to merge them into an HDR file".

Nope.

Consider the last photo I posted above, shown as a thumbnail here:

You see that light switch on the left? Not the metal switch panel, but the actual plastic switch in the center? That's a selection. The black rubber pads that connect the wooden chair back to the metal base? That too, is a selection. In this stage I will select each and every single object in the photo, feather the edges a bit depending on where it's located in the focal plane, and save it as an alpha channel, as seen in the following screenshot:

There are two issues I've been dealing with lately. The first is that Photoshop has a limit to how many alpha channels a file can contain. It's somewhere in the 40s. My workaround for this is to have two copies of the image. The main image that will have about five alpha channels less than the max (to allow for adjustment layer masks), and then a secondary image, that serves only as a "bank" for the rest of the alpha channels. When I need one that isn't saved in the main image, I'll simply drag it over from the secondary, or tertiary image. I think my max was somewhere around 250 alpha channels for one image.

The second issue I've been dealing with is that the PSD file format has a maximum size of two gigabytes. My workaround is that I don't keep adjustment layers around for long, I'll usually flatten them as soon as I'm happy with the adjustment. Keeping the alpha channels in a second file also helps. If nothing else works, I'll split the image up into sections saved as separate files. This file size issue reared it's ugly head once I started working with 22mp files vs. the 10mp I had used previously.

The selection process can take anywhere from a couple hours to a week, depending on how detailed I want the image to be.

Once everything is selected, the fun part begins. I now have full control of every aspect of the image. I will now approach each object individually. I first select which exposure out of all of the brackets and versions that fits the object the best. Then I will adjust color, contrast, texture, sharpness, noise, focus, etc. for each object. Once that's done, I'll adjust groups of objects, and eventually the image as a whole. The options are practically limitless. I can even change the direction of the lighting in the image if I so desire. This process takes anywhere from a day to a week as well. Since I flatten as I go, it's a very linear, organic process. I figure out in my head which object I want to start with, and go from there. I usually won't know how I want the final image to look until I get there. It just flows.

After that's done, I flatten everything, export it as a TIFF, and send it off to the client. Unless I post it on Flickr, the image is then quickly forgotten and I move on to the next one. I might run by it as an ad on the subway, a billboard, website, or magazine, but that's about it. I'm not big into analyzing my own images. I guess I'm more about the process. That's probably why after seven years of photography, including two years as a "professional", I still haven't gotten around to making a portfolio or a website.

So after that you're probably asking why I put so much effort into a simple image of an apartment bathroom. The answer, as you've probably guessed already, is that I'm absolutely batshit insane. I am a perfectionist to the point that it controls my life. If I'm not going to produce the absolute best result, it's just not worth doing. OCD is a bitch. Combine that with severe ADD, and you can guarantee that poo poo just isn't going to get done. So I take adderal, which does the thing it's supposed to do, ie: get poo poo done, but it is impossible for me to multitask. Whatever I am doing at the time has my absolute 100% concentration. When I'm working on a photo, nothing else goes on. The next thing I know, I have a finished photo, but I've gone days without eating, forgot to pay the rent, two hundred unanswered emails, voicemails, and texts, can't remember when I slept last, and if I owned a pet, it would be dead at this point.

But hey, the photo looks pretty, right? Sure it's a week past due, but at least I got it done!

To Be Continued...

(Photos hosted on my Flickr, so here's the required link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradgillette )

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

King Hotpants posted:

Well, there goes my money.

(I'll order something when I next get paid -- my walls are too empty.)

aliencowboy posted:

Awesome! I'll place an order once I can decide on one.

Great! I plan on raising the prices at the end of December - but no rush, if you remind me / include your Dorkroom username I'll give you the current pricing. If you have any questions though, it would be great if you could post them in the SA Mart thread versus email (to keep the thread active).

XTimmy posted:

xzzy posted:

A5H posted:

If anyone could find this I'd love to know.

pseudonordic posted:

It's usually layers all the way down. :psyduck:

QPZIL posted:

xzzy posted:

I searched for the post and couldn't find it either. Which is probably best that it's lost as 95% of it was incoherent rambling about my mental state at the time. That was really the peak of my obsessiveness that lead to my eventual breakdown, which lead to my current situation of trying to rebuild my career while living in my parents' basement…

I've tried before but it's really too complicated to explain what my post-processing involves. Sure, there's the tools, filters and techniques - but a great deal of it is subconsciously creating what my eye wants to see. If you ask me something more specific about a certain look or effect you'd like to achieve rather than the image as a whole, I'll be more than happy to give you some pointers to push you in the right direction. You just may have to bug me about it - my mind has two modes; (1) cluttered chaos preventing me from accomplishing any task, and (2) Extreme, tunneled concentration during which I forget everything but the task at hand. If you use AIM/iChat you can always shoot me a message at the screen name bgillettephoto.

Now to change subjects a bit. I have a favor to ask. I was invited to select 7-10 of my images to feature on the website https://www.neocollective.com and I'm having difficulty doing so. I'd like to feature my personal, "artsy" work but I think I should have a few of my interior images included as well. I put together a flickr set of the photos I plan to choose from, and if anyone here has some extra time to go through them and mark which ones they would or wouldn't include, I would be forever grateful.

The flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradgillette/sets/72157628290826213/

Edit: ^Goddamnit, somebody found it^

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Kirk Tuck wrote an awesome guest post on TOP about action versus activity, or the mindset of photography versus hobby.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I had the most :psyduck: moment the other talking to a co-worker as she's a model outside of work, she does fantasy stuff, has been a guest at comicon and tons of other ones (if you're into that stuff), lots of experience, she's been doing it for over 10 years now. And we were just talking about contracts/model release. She told me that she makes all photographers sign a contract she's had written up, that basically says she owns all rights to the images. And everyone she's worked with has signed it.

It just blew my mind. How could anyone agree to that? "Why yes, I would love to pay you for your time to model, and I wish to gain nothing from it, why not?"

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Four Banger posted:

I had the most :psyduck: moment the other talking to a co-worker as she's a model outside of work, she does fantasy stuff, has been a guest at comicon and tons of other ones (if you're into that stuff), lots of experience, she's been doing it for over 10 years now. And we were just talking about contracts/model release. She told me that she makes all photographers sign a contract she's had written up, that basically says she owns all rights to the images. And everyone she's worked with has signed it.

It just blew my mind. How could anyone agree to that? "Why yes, I would love to pay you for your time to model, and I wish to gain nothing from it, why not?"

She's likely full of poo poo.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

woot fatigue posted:

:words:

So basically I should speedball cocaine with mescaline and hope I'm working on some photos when I hit the upswing. Great!

Many of your landscapes I can kind of tell what you've done, though I'd be totally incapable of producing such an image myself. What interests me are the ones where you wouldn't have been able to do multiple exposures easily.

A MAGNIFICENT MILE (2006) by BRAD GILLETTE (bgillettephoto.com), on Flickr
This one looks almost like it was shot on film, I think the only thing giving it away to me is the grain on her jacket looks more like digital noise than film grain to me. I'm wondering what you did to produce such a soft, filmic gamma curve? Maybe I'm too used to the harsh Australian sun that turns everything to stark shadows.

EDIT: I was going to ask for selection efficiency tips too but I get the feeling I just need patience more than anything.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

XTimmy posted:

So basically I should speedball cocaine with mescaline and hope I'm working on some photos when I hit the upswing. Great!

I was going to suggest Adderall and Viagra, but yours might be slightly more fun.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

XTimmy posted:

Many of your landscapes I can kind of tell what you've done, though I'd be totally incapable of producing such an image myself. What interests me are the ones where you wouldn't have been able to do multiple exposures easily.

A MAGNIFICENT MILE (2006) by BRAD GILLETTE (bgillettephoto.com), on Flickr
This one looks almost like it was shot on film, I think the only thing giving it away to me is the grain on her jacket looks more like digital noise than film grain to me. I'm wondering what you did to produce such a soft, filmic gamma curve? Maybe I'm too used to the harsh Australian sun that turns everything to stark shadows.

EDIT: I was going to ask for selection efficiency tips too but I get the feeling I just need patience more than anything.

Don't you ever complain about Australian sun. Some of us make do with English "sun"

It's tough to be able to think in individual curves and curve layers. I'm not sure how much this photographer compares to Brad's workflow but take a look.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=285975664773910&set=a.285304511507692.63946.124259270945551&type=3&theater

She uses around 20-30 curve adjustment layers per image to control colours and contrast which helps produce a very distinct image.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I made a tumblr to put some of my pictures on. Does anyone else use it? If so let's be friends http://ashburrows.tumblr.com/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
All these posts about too many cameras and millions of adjustment layers are making my plan to start the coming year with 100' of Tri-X, 100' of Fomapan, a bottle of Rodinal, and my Nikon F a lot more attractive.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I just throw things at my photos until they look right, I'm probably doing it wrong.

One of those "intuition" people I guess.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Reichstag posted:

All these posts about too many cameras and millions of adjustment layers are making my plan to start the coming year with 100' of Tri-X, 100' of Fomapan, a bottle of Rodinal, and my Nikon F a lot more attractive.

Some people enjoy the digital darkroom. Hope that helps.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

poopinmymouth posted:

Some people enjoy the digital darkroom. Hope that helps.

Oh sure, I have a lot of fun in photoshop sometimes, it just gets in the way of thinking about making the images, for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Borrow Lenses sends out an email that they're having their end of year sale on used gear, I rush over looking for a good deal, and the site is unresponsive. :smith:

I guess everyone else on the internet is looking for good deals too.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
I have a bag (lowepro versapack 200aw) and it has a tripod mount system on the bottom:

Which are two clip straps...the problem is that my tripod slides from left to right when it's mounted like this. The bag has another tripod mount system (which goes on vertically on the back of the bag, but my tripod is too big and heavy for this. Anyone know of a quick and dirty way that I can stop the sliding left/right before I leave for a trip on Thursday?!

wizard sticks fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 5, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

Don't you ever complain about Australian sun. Some of us make do with English "sun"

It's tough to be able to think in individual curves and curve layers. I'm not sure how much this photographer compares to Brad's workflow but take a look.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=285975664773910&set=a.285304511507692.63946.124259270945551&type=3&theater

She uses around 20-30 curve adjustment layers per image to control colours and contrast which helps produce a very distinct image.

I wish I had the knowledge to be able to see what 50 layers would look like at the end. That is quite the difference from before/after.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wizard sticks posted:

Anyone know of a quick and dirty way that I can stop the sliding left/right before I leave for a trip on Thursday?!

Replace the nylon straps with some kind of rubber? Like maybe a tiny bungee cord or something.

Or maybe wrap some rubber bands around your tripod legs where it contacts the nylon strap to create a little more friction.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
friction increases exponentially with contact angle, so wrap the straps a few times around one leg and bundle the legs together with a band/velcro or something

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

woot fatigue posted:

Now to change subjects a bit. I have a favor to ask. I was invited to select 7-10 of my images to feature on the website https://www.neocollective.com and I'm having difficulty doing so. I'd like to feature my personal, "artsy" work but I think I should have a few of my interior images included as well. I put together a flickr set of the photos I plan to choose from, and if anyone here has some extra time to go through them and mark which ones they would or wouldn't include, I would be forever grateful.
So, a random stranger on the internet thinks that:

Parkitecture: Texture and colors works great
West Loop Wash: Fun, more than anything. Good catch, shows you have an eye for the situation
Automatic laundry: Yes! again, a great eye for the situation
Automatic lofts: Yes, because it looks very 3d
Adastick's rockets: Yes… But no, because the sky does not match the rest of the picture
Atlantic fish'n'fry market: YES. The rain is amazing
Healdsburg Mural: Shadow on the street bugs me, but the colors are so well matched the lamp post feels like it's part of the painting, which is why it works so well. Yes
Gram Trees: Hell yes. The lighting is almost surreal, but with enough imperfections that it doesn't look like a rendering. I guess this is from your OCD period?
SuperMarket: Could have been great with a different framing, much closer
Healdsburg: Great lighting, too tight crop
Automatic lofts: hell yes
Dwight lofts: yes
Neighbor agency, la: yes!
2040 lofts: A bit too tight
Newmont mining: yes and yes
Lime stone: great
Suburban life: yes
A standard afternoon:, hell yes

Don't know if that's too many. Sorting through these I was thinking that you should do more people (shooting people that is), and also that what you do extraordinarily well is making scenes look like something from the Truman show. There's some surreal perfection in some of your images that just works. Anyway, that's what I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

woot fatigue posted:

The flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradgillette/sets/72157628290826213/

Edit: ^Goddamnit, somebody found it^

These are all based on what I like, and may or may not be what you're looking for. I always love your interior shots, but the "artsier" ones have more personality to me, and I enjoy looking at them for longer than I do the interior shots. I think the interiors are so technically perfect that it has an initial wow factor for sure, but when it comes to looking at an image multiple times, I much prefer your more personal/creative ones.

I love:
13th and Washington
Food Land
The Cove
Newmont Mining
2040 Lofts
Tacos El Cunado
Lodge - my absolute favourite. I plan to buy a print soon.
The Arsonist
Gram Chairs

There's a few of my favourite interior shots in there as well. Man your work is really an inspiration, both the interiors and the more creatives ones.