Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Abu-Saleh posted:

As a college freshman, I am curious about your guys' opinion as to whether the job market would have gotten better by the time after I hypothetically enrolled in and graduated from a law school, which is at minimum 8 years from now. I'm taking pre-med courses right now, but lawyering sounds like an equally respectable, and potentially more lucrative field (it's not as of now, I understand).

If you think you are going to do it for the money then you should probably reconsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Abu-Saleh posted:

As a college freshman, I am curious about your guys' opinion as to whether the job market would have gotten better by the time after I hypothetically enrolled in and graduated from a law school, which is at minimum 8 years from now. I'm taking pre-med courses right now, but lawyering sounds like an equally respectable, and potentially more lucrative field (it's not as of now, I understand).

Get a double major in computer science and economics. Get a job out of college with your good degrees and never look back.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Even if applications to law school have plateaued, there's still far more lawyers than jobs at the moment, and that's only going to get worse. Go to med school and pray that the republicans stay in power.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Abu-Saleh posted:

One thing the current economic crisis has obscured is that the legal market for new graduates was really bad even before the housing bubble burst. While the economy was booming on excessing leverage, there was a lot of high-end corporate work, but even all that extra structured finance dealflow only helped graduates of the top 20-30 law schools or so; things were bad for most law graduates even then. In addition to the changing economy, the legal market is affected by longer-term structural trends:
  • Clients are becoming more cost-consciousness, forcing law firms to cut costs. This means, among other things, less lawyer staffing, and higher lawyer utilization (read: your hours will suck more should you get a job).
  • More and more legal work can be outsourced, and firms are doing it, whether to India, or to a contract firm in the US.
  • Technology is making the practice of law more efficient, and it will continue to do so for some time.
Meanwhile, the cost of legal education is increasing drastically. It's already a terrible financial move to attend all but a handful of schools, and I doubt there will be drastic educational reform in the next four years.

That said, it's hard to tell what will happen in even four years, let alone longer. I don't think it makes sense to take any specific steps towards law that would come at the cost of other options, but you don't need to worry about any of this until you are ready to apply to law school, which is in at least four years.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Abu-Saleh posted:

I seriously doubt that your potential to find respect and lucre as a lawyer will exceed your potential to find respect and lucre as a physician, but it's really far out and I don't think anyone could speculate. If you want to keep it an option, take some electives to keep your GPA high.

EDIT: Also, it's really not horrific (among the T14) right now. That's not to say it's getting better or that it's actually good; things will probably never be what they used to be. I'm saying I think things can and will get a lot darker. And to be clear, there are a ton of people in the thread who are unemployed, some of whom are very recent grads.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 3, 2011

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Abu-Saleh posted:

Going to law school because you think it sounds respectable and lucrative is a horrible idea.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
I need some anonymous relief/advice. The basic gist of the story is that the partner I pretty much exclusively worked for at a very successful litigation boutique jumped ship for a biglaw partnership. I was a little miffed that he left without even telling me he was thinking about leaving, but whatever. The problem is he also left an absolute mess in terms of files and has been unbelievably unprofessional about the transition. Not only was he too much of a free agent to actually follow firm policy and submit co-counsel agreements and retainers, but he also didn't really understand the privacy controls on our electronic filing system.

As such, I've been digging through his email and have now stumbled across not only his affair with a younger co-counsel associate, but also his further dickish and selfish behavior that has negatively impacted my ability to continue at this firm. Things are especially depressing since I kind of liked the guy and now know that he not only hosed over myself and others, but that his "mistress" (who I had a very high opinion of) really suffered.

I so want to confront this guy and distribute some emails, but don't think that is the wisest idea. The best I can do is bitch online.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

I need some anonymous relief/advice. The basic gist of the story is that the partner I pretty much exclusively worked for at a very successful litigation boutique jumped ship for a biglaw partnership. I was a little miffed that he left without even telling me he was thinking about leaving, but whatever. The problem is he also left an absolute mess in terms of files and has been unbelievably unprofessional about the transition. Not only was he too much of a free agent to actually follow firm policy and submit co-counsel agreements and retainers, but he also didn't really understand the privacy controls on our electronic filing system.

As such, I've been digging through his email and have now stumbled across not only his affair with a younger co-counsel associate, but also his further dickish and selfish behavior that has negatively impacted my ability to continue at this firm. Things are especially depressing since I kind of liked the guy and now know that he not only hosed over myself and others, but that his "mistress" (who I had a very high opinion of) really suffered.

I so want to confront this guy and distribute some emails, but don't think that is the wisest idea. The best I can do is bitch online.

Here's a happy thought. If he violated rules of professional conduct you're almost certainly obligated to report him.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Someone here earlier mentioned that it may be possible to get a spot as an appellate attorney - was it Tax division?

I can tell you that I know, first hand, a supreme court clerk who got turned away from a DOJ appellate group for lack of hiring authority. He knew the guy in charge of the office and everything, but OARM axed the hire nonetheless.

Weep all ye who read this.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Send it to abovethelaw.com

Also are you a girl? Cause you sound a little jealous.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Send it to abovethelaw.com

Also are you a girl? Cause you sound a little jealous.

Not a girl, although I am constantly blown away by how loving sexist and disgusting most of the lawyers I have dealt with have been.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
One time a young paralegal wore a cat costume on Halloween, and a partner yelled at her to "Come and show me your costume, and you'd better be on all fours like a good little pussy."

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Phil Moscowitz posted:

One time a young paralegal wore a cat costume on Halloween, and a partner yelled at her to "Come and show me your costume, and you'd better be on all fours like a good little pussy."

my firm has some older partners who still do poo poo like this and it makes the office environment extreeeeemely uncomfortable

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MaximumBob posted:

Here's a happy thought. If he violated rules of professional conduct you're almost certainly obligated to report him.
California at least doesn't have mandatory reporting, which is interesting.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nm posted:

California at least doesn't have mandatory reporting, which is interesting.
I know Illinois does.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

oooof

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The boss's wife used to do accounting for the firm I used to work at. That's how she found our boss's AshleyMadison.com account.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

gvibes posted:

I know Illinois does.

Most states do. California is weird.
We're also still allowed sex with clients.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

nm posted:

I think a lot of states don't explicitly forbid it (I know Virginia doesn't), but you're putting yourself in a very vulnerable position. Any complaint by the client that the sex affected the representation and you're going to be in violation of something. If you're going to sex up your client, you better be a great lover and a better lawyer.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

nm posted:

No wonder it is so hard to pass the California bar exam. I thought attorneys were flocking there for the nice weather.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Abu-Saleh posted:

Study physics, chemistry, math, computer science, engineering, or something else quantitative that requires computer work. You will instantly be qualified for a plethora of lucrative jobs, and you will have opportunities for paid PhD student positions. You will end up much better off financially, and probably more usefully educated, than you would if you want to law school.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

MaximumBob posted:

Yeah, perhaps so, but that's not exactly a good career move, as sad as it is to say.

Yojimbo Sancho
Feb 1, 2007
I have no idea either...
Went to firm's holiday party. Was fun to see the partners and attorneys sloshed and yell at the TV during the badgers game. Too bad my boss had to drunkenly reaffirm they can't hire me after graduation because "there is no room."

I least I got free food and drink and an envelope with some money in it for a holiday bonus. :toot:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
every day I walk by cardozo and want to yell NO DON'T!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

atlas of bugs posted:

every day I walk by cardozo and want to yell NO DON'T!

Do we have any Cardozo goons? I know we're repped by pretty much everywhere else (that's T60).

The Weird Times have set in. But so has apathy. Finals studying as a 3L is quite a bit different.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

sigmachiev posted:

Do we have any Cardozo goons? I know we're repped by pretty much everywhere else (that's T60).

The Weird Times have set in. But so has apathy. Finals studying as a 3L is quite a bit different.

By different you mean no one has bothered studying yet even though we're a day out. All the 3Ls are busy trying to find jobs, we don't have time for class.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
It's 2:28 in the morning and an assignment that's worth 75% of my mark is due in less than 22 hours. I'm just a little over half done and am realizing I may have less to write than I thought I would.

Don't do it, kids. Don't go to law school. So far, it's given me worse eyesight and heart palpitations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Penguins Like Pies posted:

It's 2:28 in the morning and an assignment that's worth 75% of my mark is due in less than 22 hours. I'm just a little over half done and am realizing I may have less to write than I thought I would.

Don't do it, kids. Don't go to law school. So far, it's given me worse eyesight and heart palpitations.

Stop ruining yourself. We all know you belong on the pole and not in a courtroom.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
30 minutes before my Civil Procedure final exam. Wish me luck, goons!

(don't go, kids, I'm a callous shell of my former self and this is only my first exam)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boo Cocky posted:

30 minutes before my Civil Procedure final exam. Wish me luck, goons!

(don't go, kids, I'm a callous shell of my former self and this is only my first exam)

Good luck!

It's not too late to withdraw from law school!

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Tax question: can someone tell me the difference between deductible service costs and capitalized service costs? Examples of each?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fougera posted:

Tax question: can someone tell me the difference between deductible service costs and capitalized service costs? Examples of each?

Try the income tax thread, the CPA tax goons can probably give you a quick and concise answer.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

November MPRE scores are out

think I definitely overprepared but at least I got a couple comics out of it

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
Passed also. I think it's the worst I've ever done on a standardized test, but I feel like I spent too much time studying.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Passed as well. It's good to finally get some moderately-good news relating to law school.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
I wildly overstudied for the MPRE. By a lot.

But hooray for passing. :toot:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Congrats

but if any of you fail the MPRE please leave this thread and kill yourself

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow I didn't realize we had this many current students. We should force Linguica to update the OP with a current list of lawgoons.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It's not like he has a job

also, if I may step into my time machine: Hammer of Loki, at the end of Law School Megathread #2 in 2007:

quote:

I just wanted to give a heads-up that the thread is over a 1000 posts now, so it might be a good idea to post a new thread before the mods close this one.

We were so quaint back then

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's not like he has a job

also, if I may step into my time machine: Hammer of Loki, at the end of Law School Megathread #2 in 2007:

We were so quaint back then

We're attorneys SV. How hosed up is that? We weren't even law students when we came to this thread, and now we're attorneys?