Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sindow posted:

Hello I made these for easier story reading and thought you would enjoy them :)

http://nothotbutspicy.com/pa/

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Sindow posted:

Thank you so much. I wish every comic like this hired you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sindow posted:

Not joking, package up that formatting and offer it to people who make comics as an easy-to-use bundle because it is great and I wish more comics came in that viewing format. It's probably going to get me to reread Prequel just on the novelty alone. Good work.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Sindow posted:

I'm just getting an error saying "Missing Plugin." Does anybody know what plugin that would be?

Pakled posted:

Flash, probably.

I have the latest version of flash though.

QueerPope fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 28, 2011

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

QueerPope posted:

I'm just getting an error saying "Missing Plugin." Does anybody know what plugin that would be?

Flash, probably.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sindow posted:

Awesome job. :)

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

QueerPope posted:

I have the latest version of flash though.

If you're running NoScript or something similar you might have just forgotten to allow scripts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Opposing Farce posted:

If you're running NoScript or something similar you might have just forgotten to allow scripts.

Not running scripts wouldn't magically make a flash plugin appear, I'd assume. If there's an HTML5 or AJAX fallback that would really be better as the standard instead of flash.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Dolash posted:

Not joking, package up that formatting and offer it to people who make comics as an easy-to-use bundle because it is great and I wish more comics came in that viewing format. It's probably going to get me to reread Prequel just on the novelty alone. Good work.

That's exactly the reason I did this, since most people I tried showing Prequel to were more receptive to seeing it in a dedicated flash format than in the blog format. I'll have to look into making it modifiable for other comics, thanks for the idea. :)

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I forgot to mention this anywhere on the site or the flash files, but A and D or the left and right arrow keys also go backwards/forwards.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Sindow posted:

Oh wow, this is an extremely awesome thing you just made and if it were technologically viable to hi-five people through the internet, I would hi-five you (through the internet).

How much of this was manual and how much was automated? I notice it can tell the difference between looping animations and "one time" animations, which suggests you had some manual control, but I'm assuming most of the text and image entry was automated?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The only thing that makes me sad is that it totally breaks the "hide in spoiler box" reveal, and the giant gently caress-off monster king lost a lot of his effect being compressed into the little box. Of course, I'm a total purist (and literally the first thing I did when I opened it was rush to the scene with the above, so I could check out how you did it all), so this is just a massive nit-pick. I guess having it done automatically isn't really the same experience as doing it yourself, and comics like Prequel are so much about the experience.

On the other (less nit-picky) hand: this is the most amazing thing, and really shows off a lot of stuff about Prequel I had missed reading through the regular way (for example, I never noticed the sky grows darker in the scene where Katia hides behind a guard in the street - the scene was much funnier when I realised just how much time was supposed to pass with her crouching out there).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
To be honest this is pretty neat but I don't really think it's superior to the good old blogging software. I am perfectly fine with the presentation as it is now and wouldn't want it to be changed to this.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I like this system, except that the framerate in the longer animations seems to suffer a bit. I don't know if that's on my end or not, though.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Megazver posted:

To be honest this is pretty neat but I don't really think it's superior to the good old blogging software. I am perfectly fine with the presentation as it is now and wouldn't want it to be changed to this.

Just use both and have what Sindow created be "Speed read the archives" option, or some other name.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Kazerad posted:

Oh wow, this is an extremely awesome thing you just made and if it were technologically viable to hi-five people through the internet, I would hi-five you (through the internet).

How much of this was manual and how much was automated? I notice it can tell the difference between looping animations and "one time" animations, which suggests you had some manual control, but I'm assuming most of the text and image entry was automated?

Thanks. Consider it my form of fan-art for your awesome series since I'm horrible at drawing.

Unfortunately it was pretty much all manual. I figured it would be faster to copy/paste everything in myself instead of writing something to generate the panels. It was a little more labor intensive than I had planned but once I got the hang of the formatting it didn't actually take that long (this is about three weeks worth of weekend/one or two nights work).

HazCat posted:

The only thing that makes me sad is that it totally breaks the "hide in spoiler box" reveal, and the giant gently caress-off monster king lost a lot of his effect being compressed into the little box.

I felt like this too. It would have been great to show that post in full-size, but it just wasn't possible for aesthetic/technology limitation reasons. Which is, of course, why I put a link to the official Prequel site on the last panel of each flash.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sindow posted:

I felt like this too. It would have been great to show that post in full-size, but it just wasn't possible for aesthetic/technology limitation reasons. Which is, of course, why I put a link to the official Prequel site on the last panel of each flash.

You could have had the nightmare king's form extending outside the defined boundaries of the panel. But that would mean you'd have to make a bigger area...

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Pollyanna posted:

You could have had the nightmare king's form extending outside the defined boundaries of the panel. But that would mean you'd have to make a bigger area...
Alternatively, you could always reformat the scene to work in the static-size boxes. Since the panels are in the same position on the screen, you could approach it more like a movie rather than a comic. E.g. that panel with the blood smear leading to the spoiler box could be split into a couple panels following the smear, one looking at the spoiler box closed, one of it open. You could also minimize H-scrolling by making the window they were screenshotted from narrower (I actually designed the scene so it would usually look correct regardless of page width).

Though honestly, all things considered I think the solution Sindow used was pretty good. It works particularly well on that first oversize panel, where you sort of have to follow it down and find Katia.

This reminds me that I still have to add non-drawing fanart to my fanart page. I definitely want to get these listed on there, if you don't mind, since I think a lot of people would find them handy for sharing.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Wow, that was fast.

And I am surprised Katia had any amount of trust in her subconscious.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Psh, if she'd listened to her subconscious more often she wouldn't be in this mess!

Actually on reflection it's probably been roughly 50/50 between "disasters caused by subconscious suggestions" and "disasters caused by pointedly ignoring subconscious suggestions". New statistic counters, please.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Gotta say today's update is going into my top 10, especially the vampire part. Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Kazerad posted:

This reminds me that I still have to add non-drawing fanart to my fanart page. I definitely want to get these listed on there, if you don't mind, since I think a lot of people would find them handy for sharing.

Yeah, feel free to list them! It's all about getting more exposure for the comic. :) I can't wait to see what else people have made that's not drawing related as well.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

this expression is absolutely perfect

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Anyone else see this? P cool.

http://twitter.com/#!/ElderScrolls/status/142683335909572608

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dolash posted:

Psh, if she'd listened to her subconscious more often she wouldn't be in this mess!

Actually on reflection it's probably been roughly 50/50 between "disasters caused by subconscious suggestions" and "disasters caused by pointedly ignoring subconscious suggestions". New statistic counters, please.

The one time I went to the suggestion thread the last 2 pages were about shipping using troll romance terminology. There were about 10 posts making actual suggestions that weren't "go get drunk and gently caress *insert character here*". I don't know how it is now but Kaz you are the man for sorting through the bullshit there. I wouldn't want that job.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Sindow posted:

Anyone else see this? P cool.

http://twitter.com/#!/ElderScrolls/status/142683335909572608

Hey, not bad. Wonder what that'll do for Kaz's hits. Maybe his webcomic machinations are starting to pay off? Not that there's any sort of money-making opportunity on the site.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Zenzirouj posted:

Hey, not bad. Wonder what that'll do for Kaz's hits. Maybe his webcomic machinations are starting to pay off? Not that there's any sort of money-making opportunity on the site.

I'm really happy to get the shoutout the official TES twitter, but it didn't actually have that much of an impact on the readership levels - especially compared to being linked by Three Panel Soul a few days prior. There was only one day this week where the number of hits from Twitter exceeded the number of hits from TPS, and it was only by a mere 15 views. This is pretty in-line with a trend I've already noticed, that Prequel catches on a lot stronger in webcomic-related places than it does in RPG-related ones.

Here's a comparative graph, courtesy of Google Analytics. The blue line is total hits from other websites (not counting direct traffic), the orange is TPS, the green is Twitter.

Still, it's awesome that Bethesda linked me. I think something particularly interesting to note is that they linked the first page of the comic - a choice people often make when trying to introduce new readers. It gives a strong implication that they are familiar enough with the comic to know this is the best way to share it.

Anyway, as for whether my Dark Machinations are starting to pay off, I personally think they've been paying off pretty well from the start. This whole time I've been learning a lot about the different routes by which readers can arrive as well as what kind of things they enjoy most in a work.

But perhaps more importantly, in copying Hussie's style I've been coming to question a whole lot of my preconceived notions about comics and writing. When I first started Prequel, the MSPA-ness was basically just done as a tribute. Over time, though, I've come to understand why Hussie made a lot of his stylistic choices. The way I see it, the core idea behind the "MSPA style" is that it celebrates the digital medium rather than trying to hide it. Things like copy+paste, sprite flips, and even style shifts are all displayed openly, whereas a lot of comic authors (myself formerly included) assume the only "right" way to do something is to redraw every panel from scratch while making it look like your drawing ability has been constant throughout the whole project. When I look back now, I realize just how many relics of the Print Comic industry we still arbitrarily accept as the "correct method".

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 5, 2011

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

In all fairness, though, copy-pasting art over and over can be construed as lazy. Whereas the print comic industry, at least in the non-digital medium, doesn't have that luxury.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

IronSaber posted:

In all fairness, though, copy-pasting art over and over can be construed as lazy. Whereas the print comic industry, at least in the non-digital medium, doesn't have that luxury.

Oh, it can definitely be construed as lazy, yeah. I think the belief is more of a social construct than anything with an actual basis, though. For instance, compare comics to video games: when we play a game, we accept that nearly every scene is made of reusable models used over and over again. In a self-proclaimed "retro" game we'll even let it slide if the ground is made of a single repeating tile. This is the functional equivalent to copy-paste abuse, but it goes unquestioned. We just accept that it saves a lot of work and allows for the creation of games that may have never had sufficient funding otherwise.

Comics really have all the same luxuries, even if the creators don't realize it. Copy+Paste (as well as other things I named, like sprite flipping or style shifts) are all perfectly valid techniques an artist can use to save work, right up there with more accepted corner-cutting techniques like flat shading or grayscale coloring. There's no shame in cutting a particular corner when the benefits from doing so would outweigh the costs. When an artist feels that something is required for their medium, they might spend excessive resources on it without realizing it is not necessary.

(In other words I am doing MSPA-ripoff Oblivion fanfiction to fight stereotypes and benefit of artistry as a whole. SO NOBLE)

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Kazerad posted:

For instance, compare comics to video games: when we play a game, we accept that nearly every scene is made of reusable models used over and over again. In a self-proclaimed "retro" game we'll even let it slide if the ground is made of a single repeating tile. This is the functional equivalent to copy-paste abuse, but it goes unquestioned. We just accept that it saves a lot of work and allows for the creation of games that may have never had sufficient funding otherwise.

Well, it's not a perfect comparison. Videogames also have memory requirements, performance requirements, and what have you that can limit how many unique assets the developer can use. If every single wall in Half Life 2 had a unique texture the game probably wouldn't even run on any hardware available today.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think it's more about the implied intent of the author. No one is going to knock R Stevens for reusing his character sprites in Diesel Sweeties, or Ryan North for Dinosaur comics

A comic that by all accounts looks like the artist is hand drawing everything from scratch then a month or two into it you see an obviously copy-pasted panel, it comes off as jarring and obvious.

I think it's more about expectations, and what the artist is conveying to the audience as "normal" for that comic.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The problem with artistic short-cuts is the same problem as with any artistic technique: it matters little what techniques you use or don't use but it matters a lot that you understand why you do so. The difference between Ryan North and Tim Buckley isn't their relative proficiency at re-using art assets, it's that Ryan North is making a conscious aesthetic decision while Tim Buckely is a lazy sack of poo poo who refuses to learn basic artistic concepts. And the same is true of decisions that are based in technical limitations rather than artistic concerns. In general, mouth-only movement in animation is because of a conscious choice to use half-cells for less important scenes and focus time and effort on the important ones, while mouth-only movement in comics is because of someone aping the above without thinking through why it is that way.

So I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say that everyone has the "luxury" of copy-pasting. Every comic can do that (just like every poet can follow e.e. cummings and not bother with capital letters), but doing so has specific benefits, drawbacks, effects on aesthetics and tone, and so forth, and those need to be taken into account before the decision is made. There are certainly times where asset re-use is perfectly fine and acceptable and potentially even beneficial (arguably in situations where, like this, it evokes similarities with other forms of digital media), but there are also plenty of times where doing so would be counter to the artist's goals.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

D'awwww, Katia is so adorable when optimistic. :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having interacted with cats like, twice in my life, I find it hilarious that Katia wags her tail like a dog.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Why is it that 90% of the people Katia meets are sarcastic assholes who hate her on sight? She needs to meet more patient, salt-of-the-earth types, or at least people less inclined to lay in with the verbal gut-punches whenever convenient.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dolash posted:

Why is it that 90% of the people Katia meets are sarcastic assholes who hate her on sight? She needs to meet more patient, salt-of-the-earth types, or at least people less inclined to lay in with the verbal gut-punches whenever convenient.

I thought most of the people she talked to in the Kvatch flash game were nice. As for nice or at least neutral people she's interacted with: Stranger, Quill Weave, Guard who accepted her paperwork, Imperial Guard, Up's first conversation, and some of the people at the banquet(not that jerk milk dish server).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Even the nervous guard had an underlying "You're kinda garbage, sorry" attitude, and I don't think Ghro-Upp can really be counted. The Imperial guard and Quill Weave are exceptions, yeah, but their reaction to her (that is, not disgust) is so markedly different from everyone else that they stand out and she thinks of them as friends just for that.

She did meet people who seemed nice in the Kvatch walk-around, but I guess it was narratively safer then since they were inconsequential mini-interactions as part of a game thing. It's a central conceit of the comic that Katia can't run into too many people who don't sass her or put her down in some way in order to keep up appearances.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pollyanna posted:

Having interacted with cats like, twice in my life, I find it hilarious that Katia wags her tail like a dog.

Adding to this for those of you not familiar with cats, cats usually wag their tails when they're irritated.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pollyanna posted:

That's actually been a plot point...other Khajits can't stand Katia because of stuff like that. Apparently Katia was raised by humans or around humans so much that she's as bad at being a Khajit as she is bad at everything else.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
My cat was raised by dogs (long story) and she actually does wag her tail when she's happy. It's kind of endearing :3:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well, being linked on Bethesda's Twitter account sort of stole a lot of this post's thunder, but it's also kinda cool that Three Panel Soul linked Prequel after running a Skyrim strip (involving a Khajiit). Some more webcomic props to throw on the big pile!

Ian McConville posted:

Should you want more Khajiit related humor, I highly recommend Prequel. Every update further encourages the part of my brain responsible for frowning to shut-the-gently caress-up.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Well I see absolutely no way that this can end in tears and crushing disappointment.

• Locked thread