Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

No I mean saves from actual DS carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is there any way to backup saves from DS carts? I want to start a NG+ of Etrian Odyssey 3, but that deletes your existing save, which I'd like to keep. I have an R4 and an EZFlash 3-in-1.

I'm pretty sure you can do that with Rudolph's backup tools. You can get them from this mirror, but I don't know if the 3in1 version will work on newer hardware revisions.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I notice some people talking about 3DS flash cards in this thread, so I figured it's kosher to ask - is there a way to block system updates like the homebrew stuff on Wii can do? If there's a thread for 3DS homebrew/flash card stuff, point me towards it. I'm looking to get a 3DS soon but I'm really used to having all the niceties of a flash card on my DS. How serious is the risk of bricking a 3DS these days?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Travis343 posted:

I notice some people talking about 3DS flash cards in this thread, so I figured it's kosher to ask - is there a way to block system updates like the homebrew stuff on Wii can do? If there's a thread for 3DS homebrew/flash card stuff, point me towards it. I'm looking to get a 3DS soon but I'm really used to having all the niceties of a flash card on my DS. How serious is the risk of bricking a 3DS these days?

3DS talk is welcome - not going to start a new thread until some real development happens with 3DS homebrew or flash carts.

In other words, not much has happened. There currently is no way to block system updates. All flashcarts working on the 3DS run in DS mode, using blobs of data from commercial games to mask themselves as authentic games in order to avoid detection. They will not run 3DS games. As far as I know there's absolutely no risk of bricking. System updates will however block flashcarts.

DSTWO keeps getting updated as new firmwares are pushed out, but I don't know what the state of support is for other carts. Updating your cart firmware before the system firmware will save you from a lot of headaches.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is there any way to backup saves from DS carts? I want to start a NG+ of Etrian Odyssey 3, but that deletes your existing save, which I'd like to keep. I have an R4 and an EZFlash 3-in-1.
Savsender has always been my go-to, but the backup tools linked above work nicely too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So there aren't 3DS specific flash cards yet? I'm using an old-rear end R4 with the Wood firmware, any chance that'd run on a 3DS or would I need a DSTWO?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Savsender has always been my go-to, but the backup tools linked above work nicely too.

Thanks, that looks perfect.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Travis343 posted:

So there aren't 3DS specific flash cards yet? I'm using an old-rear end R4 with the Wood firmware, any chance that'd run on a 3DS or would I need a DSTWO?

Nope. If that's an original R4 cart it won't work. Some knock-offs have gotten updates, but support for those is usually horrible. I own a DSTWO, and feel it's worth the money for its superior support, especially if you're going to use it on a 3DS. Acekard still haven't made the AK2i work on the latest system version.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I've been :f5:ing for info on playing 3DS backups (either via some new flashcart, or otherwise). I'm a terrible sucker for Mario Kart and find myself suddenly very interested in the stupid 3D brick they're peddling now that I can zoom around acid trip kart courses with Toadstool & Company.

But I was honestly, legitimately surprised to see that there's still no way to just purchase the drat games digitally and install them to the internal memory (re-releases and lesser-quality titles excepted). So I guess my ideal 3DS-purchasing scenario involves getting the system, some physical game cards that are going to sit on my shelf, and backups of those games on some hypothetical future flashcart.

loving Nintendo, man. Carrying game cards around was silly in 2006; it's downright ridiculous now.

kbar fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 5, 2011

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Keito posted:

I don't know what the state of support is for other carts.
There still isn't an update for the Acekard2i for the 2.2 3DS update, just "soon". Both Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 force an update to 2.2 so I've been holding off on them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalibar posted:

But I was honestly, legitimately surprised to see that there's still no way to just purchase the drat games digitally and install them to the internal memory (re-releases and lesser-quality titles excepted). So I guess my ideal 3DS-purchasing scenario involves getting the system, some physical game cards that are going to sit on my shelf, and backups of those games on some hypothetical future flashcart.

The PS Vita has that BUT you need to buy special proprietary memory cards at ridiculous prices. As in, the system comes without onboard user storage, and you'd need to buy:
- 4 GB at $24.99 or
- 8 GB at $39.99 or
- 16 GB at $69.99 or finally
- 32 GB at $119.99

Also, with the 3DS, they ship with 256 MB of internal storage that's mostly for DSiware and a 2 GB SD card. 3DS games are supposed to be between 512 MB and 2 GB currently, so for more than a few games downloaded you'd need to go the Vita route and start requiring people to buy bigger SD cards, although those at least don't have huge markup.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone tried a DSTWO on the new 3DS firmware? I'm out of work currently, so I don't wanna risk anything, no matter how insanely tiny the chance.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Anyone tried a DSTWO on the new 3DS firmware? I'm out of work currently, so I don't wanna risk anything, no matter how insanely tiny the chance.

This same question, but for the R4i 3DS. I know R4i 3DS has a built-in update feature but cannot speak for any other card, as I am new to DS homebrew.

Edit: Apparently R4i Gold works on 3.0.0, however the Acekard 2i and DSTTi do not. I have no more information than this.

Southpaw Wusky fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 7, 2011

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My dstwo is saying "An error has occurred" when booting up, which is probably update-related. Take it as a warning, but independent verification would probably be best.

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man

Tesla was right posted:

My dstwo is saying "An error has occurred" when booting up, which is probably update-related. Take it as a warning, but independent verification would probably be best.

Same thing here. Guess we'll need to update once they figure out a way around the Nintendo update.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The Firmware for the Japanese update works for the American update too supposedly. I haven't checked yet though, I can't find where I put my MicroSD card while I grabbed my old DS to run the update. :doh:

EDIT: Found it, it works. It's on the main DSTWO download page.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 7, 2011

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... I just started playing on DSi XL using an Acekard 2i and it locked up playing Ghost Trick.

What is the typical reason for that?

I'm using a Transend 8 GB Micro SDHC card.

I also have an M3i Zero cart that I can use but I've heard that it's worse than the Acekard 2i... (although it does support real-time saves which is nice)

(...and I just updated the Acekard 2i to the latest firmware before I started playing...)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My mum updated her XL firmware a while back and nothing I could do would make her EZFlash work again, skimmed the OP and picked her up a DSTwo and it works almost out of the box! Shipping was surprisingly quick from China too.

Thankyou for this thread. :)

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
What's the best, easiest to buy Flash Cart that will work on a 3DS? RealHotStuff doesn't carry the SuperTwo apparently.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hunter x az posted:

What's the best, easiest to buy Flash Cart that will work on a 3DS? RealHotStuff doesn't carry the SuperTwo apparently.

It's called the DSTwo unless you meant some other card: http://realhotstuff.com/supercard-dstwo-p-499.html

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is the DSTwo working with the new 3DS firmware? The only flashcart I ever owned was a DSTT on my Lite, but with my Lite not working properly anymore I think I'll get one for my XL and 3DS. The DSTwo with its GBA emulation sounds pretty cool.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

OK - My Acekard 2i locked up again.

Is the DSTWO the very best flash cart for the DSi XL as well?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Vinlaen posted:

So... I just started playing on DSi XL using an Acekard 2i and it locked up playing Ghost Trick.

What is the typical reason for that?

I'm using a Transend 8 GB Micro SDHC card.

I also have an M3i Zero cart that I can use but I've heard that it's worse than the Acekard 2i... (although it does support real-time saves which is nice)

(...and I just updated the Acekard 2i to the latest firmware before I started playing...)

Sometimes the Acekard loses contact with the contacts of the DS and will "lock up". Tape a small piece of paper to the label or cut a square out of a post it note and attach it to the cart so that it fits snugly.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Saoshyant posted:

Is the DSTwo working with the new 3DS firmware? The only flashcart I ever owned was a DSTT on my Lite, but with my Lite not working properly anymore I think I'll get one for my XL and 3DS. The DSTwo with its GBA emulation sounds pretty cool.
Former DSTT user reporting in, graduating to the DSTWO was a good experience.

The latest update makes it work on the new 3DS firmware.

Nettle Soup posted:

My mum updated her XL firmware a while back and nothing I could do would make her EZFlash work again, skimmed the OP and picked her up a DSTwo and it works almost out of the box! Shipping was surprisingly quick from China too.

Thankyou for this thread. :)
Glad to hear that, hope she has lots of fun with it. :)

Vinlaen posted:

OK - My Acekard 2i locked up again.

Is the DSTWO the very best flash cart for the DSi XL as well?

The most likely reason is what FlyingCheese wrote above, but it could also possibly be file system corruption on the microSDHC.

But yeah DSTWO's the best cart.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Yup. The firmware download says it's for the Japanese version of the 3DS Firmware update, but it works with the US version for sure, and I'm assuming the PAL version, too.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Keito posted:

The most likely reason is what FlyingCheese wrote above, but it could also possibly be file system corruption on the microSDHC.

But yeah DSTWO's the best cart.
Well - I just formatted the card with that Panasonic SD Formatting tool and it locked up again after so I don't think it's the file system... (but I could be wrong of course)

I'm just wondering, but does the DSTWO have a lot better contact than the Acekard 2i? I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on a new cart if it works a lot better and has better contact...

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Vinlaen posted:

I'm just wondering, but does the DSTWO have a lot better contact than the Acekard 2i? I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on a new cart if it works a lot better and has better contact...

I have absolutely no knowledge about how the build quality of the two differs, but the contact issue could probably happen with either. Flash carts aren't exactly made using premium parts in their internals. For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems with my DSTWO in over a year's usage.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
The DSTwo is a little thicker than the AK so it fits more snugly and doesn't have contact issues, but the truth is you can just cut out a piece of notecard and tape it to the back and that will fix the problem. Precision manufacturing isn't so much of a thing for what amounts to a piracy device.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the info...

I've taped a piece of paper to the back of the cart and it's a lot more snug in the slot so hopefully that helps. I think anything thicker (cardboard, notepaper maybe, etc) might be too thick but I don't know.

I still might think about the DSTWO for the real-time saving though. Does it work really good?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Should I get the DSTWO or the R4i for my ds-homebrew needs on my 3DS? I'm looking to shelve my old DSL now that I'm toting my 3DS around with me, and I'd like to know which card to use with the new unit.

E: I suppose I should clarify, I am aware that the DSTWO comes with stuff like GBA emulation and save states, but I am just looking for a unit that can reliably run homebrew software from the SD card more than anything. Am I better off going with the cheaper R4i or is shelling out for DSTWO worth the insurance they seem to bring for keeping updated for 3DS firmwares?

e2: What is the difference between the R4i and the R4i Gold?

Emalde fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 11, 2011

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I don't know if this is the wrong place to ask, but about the 3DS homebrew scene.

I bought an R4i Gold that plays fine on my 3DS and did a google search for 3DS homebrew but all I get are bullshit recursive websites that all link to each other talking about how Homebrew is available but absolutely none of the links they link to says ANYTHING else other than "Well yeh, check out this homebrew site" and then you go to THAT site and it links to ANOTHER homebrew site ad nauseum until you finally end back up at the very first site you went to.

Long story short.. is there actually a homebrew scene or is it just "DS homebrew running on the 3DS!!!" sort of deal for now?

I'm not interested in ports of old games as much I am of other interesting stuff that enhances the usability of the 3DS.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jet Ready Go posted:

I don't know if this is the wrong place to ask, but about the 3DS homebrew scene.

I bought an R4i Gold that plays fine on my 3DS and did a google search for 3DS homebrew but all I get are bullshit recursive websites that all link to each other talking about how Homebrew is available but absolutely none of the links they link to says ANYTHING else other than "Well yeh, check out this homebrew site" and then you go to THAT site and it links to ANOTHER homebrew site ad nauseum until you finally end back up at the very first site you went to.

Long story short.. is there actually a homebrew scene or is it just "DS homebrew running on the 3DS!!!" sort of deal for now?

I'm not interested in ports of old games as much I am of other interesting stuff that enhances the usability of the 3DS.

There is no 3DS homebrew yet. Sorry, but it's as simple as that - noone's been able to run arbitrary code on unmodified 3DSes yet.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Emalde posted:

Should I get the DSTWO or the R4i for my ds-homebrew needs on my 3DS? I'm looking to shelve my old DSL now that I'm toting my 3DS around with me, and I'd like to know which card to use with the new unit.

E: I suppose I should clarify, I am aware that the DSTWO comes with stuff like GBA emulation and save states, but I am just looking for a unit that can reliably run homebrew software from the SD card more than anything. Am I better off going with the cheaper R4i or is shelling out for DSTWO worth the insurance they seem to bring for keeping updated for 3DS firmwares?

e2: What is the difference between the R4i and the R4i Gold?

By "R4i" it's impossible to know what cart you're talking about because there are a million different ones being sold under that name. There's a reason why I only recommend two carts in the OP: the rest are horrible.

If you absolutely want to buy some R4/DSTT clone, you should carefully research the product website to see if they support the latest 3DS firmware, and also if they have a consistent track record of releasing updates shortly after new firmwares.

Keito fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 12, 2011

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo Aussies, what's the best/cheapest place to pick up a new flashcart? (specifically an Acekard 2i or Supercard DSTWO) I haven't done this in a while and the guy I used to buy from doesn't sell them anymore.

Is there any reason why I would want to order from somewhere in Australia and pay twice as much than if I had ordered from somewhere overseas?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So hey, how does homebrew deal with wi-fi? Specifically, with Pokemon? I was going to get my brother a 3DS and flash cart for Christmas, but I don't want to risk bricking anything (like I did with our first Wii) , and he's definitely going to be playing Pokemon, and presumably trading.

So I guess what I'm asking is, will my brother's poke-mania be hindered if I mess with his gift?

VVV: Awesome. Thanks, man.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 23, 2011

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
If the in-game WiFi works on a regular DS/Lite or a DSi, it will work in a 3DS, assuming the flash cartridge even boots in one.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

TwoPair posted:

So hey, how does homebrew deal with wi-fi? Specifically, with Pokemon? I was going to get my brother a 3DS and flash cart for Christmas, but I don't want to risk bricking anything (like I did with our first Wii) , and he's definitely going to be playing Pokemon, and presumably trading.

So I guess what I'm asking is, will my brother's poke-mania be hindered if I mess with his gift?

VVV: Awesome. Thanks, man.

He's also going to have to worry about updating his 3DS and rendering the flashcart unusable (unless you have a regular DS/lite laying around so you can flash with it).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The DSTWO can flash on the 3DS, it's just more complicated and risky. I always flash on my semi-broken DS Phat just to be safe though.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I flashed my DSTWO through my 3DS, doesn't seem like anything broke. The only weird thing is once I load the cart, it goes to this weird menu with 4 empty blocks and one filled one which says "DS_GAME". The cart works once I tap that block, but is it supposed to be like that? I got scared when I first ran it (one lovely experience with a M3i Zero has me constantly worried about wasting my cash) :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
A couple years ago I used an NES emulator for DS that took the ROM file and made a DS executable with the ROM built in. What was it called and where can I find it now?

• Locked thread