Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Thanks for ruining my Steven Seagal style kickboxing shot block scenario.

(Sorry, that does sound painful.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It swelled up to the point it was cutting off circulation at my ankle. Fortunately I had some anti-inflammatories left from another hockey injury.

Said pills also came in handy on the ankle shot on Friday night, which has still not gone down. Lacing up my skate for tonight's game was fun :buddy:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Got outscored 4-0 but won on a forfeit because the other team had two un-rostered skaters :v:

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Pleads posted:

It swelled up to the point it was cutting off circulation at my ankle. Fortunately I had some anti-inflammatories left from another hockey injury.

Said pills also came in handy on the ankle shot on Friday night, which has still not gone down. Lacing up my skate for tonight's game was fun :buddy:

If your teammates don't start calling you Bobby Baun then something's wrong with them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Had the worst personal game of my season just now. The other team dressed 6 players total (one on the bench), including some poo poo-heel who clearly belongs in B-league. My night consists of missing open nets left and right, getting slew-footed/checked at the same time by the Chubby Wayne Gretzky of Low C, and getting called for high-sticking when I retaliate after he gets out of the box. Even my retaliation sucked.

:smithicide:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^^ :smithicide::hf::smithicide:

Wow, we got totally hosed last night.

Up 1-0 almost the whole game. I take a shot from one of the circles, the puck gets stuck IN the goalie's leg pad, she falls backward, her leg goes into the net completely over the line. About 5 seconds later, the whistle is blown, the ref indicates a goal, but then changes it to no goal, even though the puck falls out of her leg pad as she stands up. The one that was just in the goddamn net.

2 minutes left in the game, we take a dumb penalty, they pull their goalie and score with 1 minute left to tie it 1-1. Headed to a shootout.

We're down 2-1 in the shootout and I have the last shot for my team to keep it going. I skate in, put a realllly nice deke on the goalie, she goes down on the left side, I pull it back to the right onto my forehand. As she dives across the goal line, I stuff it right over her top-shelf for the goal.

Sorry bro, no goal.

Ref said I pulled the puck back (has to maintain forward momentum), even though I just went side-to-side. It was a such a terrible way to end a great game. Goddammit.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 5, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Man I'd be loving pissed at that happening to me.

In other news my new S19 is sitting in a loving UPS depot here in Orlando but they won't deliver it until Tuesday even though it's in town because of "3 Day shipping" :argh:

Goddamn you assholes I want to use it in my game tonight!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

gigabitnokie posted:

Sacramento area goons, beware.

Welcome. :)

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
My team won 3-0 at HP Pavilion last night. The ice didn't seem that much better than our normal rink, but drat those benches are high. The ref was calling everything, and the other team got a team game misconduct for 10 minors (doesn't actually mean anything except affecting the tiebreaker for playoff spots). A couple of them were pretty dirty, including a nasty slash that left one of our players on the ice for a few minutes with 14 seconds left in the game, but most of them were ticky tack calls.

We're currently tied for second in our league after being absolute last with a 1-15 record over the summer. What a difference a few months of improving and replacing a few players does.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wow, we got totally hosed last night.

Sup, hosed buddy!

We lost by 1 goal last night. One of our opposition's goals was a backhander that beat our goalie, hit the far post, and bounced back into the slot.

The referee standing on the goal line, 3 feet from the post it hit, did not signal a goal. But the referee on the far blue line did. He said he saw the net move (it was our goalie's stick) from 40 feet away. There was no physical way for the puck to have bounced the way it did considering the angle of the shot and the fact it hit the post squarely enough for the sound it made.

The refs in this league are absolutely horrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

So I seem to bruise my palm area under my right index finger every time I play (I shoot left). I've tried putting more tape on the butt of the stick and that hasn't helped. Are there any gloves out there that have a little more padding on the palm side? I know this is probably unlikely but I figured I would see if anyone has any suggestions.

I can't help you with this, but I can add that the ring finger on my left hand is always sore the day after I play. I shoot left, so it's the low hand on the stick, and I have no idea what's going on. Not getting slashed, never really feel like I'm working it too hard.. but the next day, the middle joint hurts.

Is this what getting old is like? :ohdear:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

sevorak posted:

My team won 3-0 at HP Pavilion last night. The ice didn't seem that much better than our normal rink, but drat those benches are high. The ref was calling everything, and the other team got a team game misconduct for 10 minors (doesn't actually mean anything except affecting the tiebreaker for playoff spots). A couple of them were pretty dirty, including a nasty slash that left one of our players on the ice for a few minutes with 14 seconds left in the game, but most of them were ticky tack calls.

We're currently tied for second in our league after being absolute last with a 1-15 record over the summer. What a difference a few months of improving and replacing a few players does.

When we played at HP last year the refs did not call anything because they didnt want people in the box taking pics.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

Sup, hosed buddy!

We lost by 1 goal last night. One of our opposition's goals was a backhander that beat our goalie, hit the far post, and bounced back into the slot.

The referee standing on the goal line, 3 feet from the post it hit, did not signal a goal. But the referee on the far blue line did. He said he saw the net move (it was our goalie's stick) from 40 feet away. There was no physical way for the puck to have bounced the way it did considering the angle of the shot and the fact it hit the post squarely enough for the sound it made.

The refs in this league are absolutely horrible.

That happens to us more than we'd like as well. Ref 7 feet away makes a call then the other one comes flying in from 50 feet away with the exact opposite/wrong call.

Sucks, cause the guy who kept making bad calls last night is usually one of the more consistent and better refs in the league. He was even laughing at our jokes from the bench too :(

There were a couple of really bad non-calls too. I was 1 on 1 with a defender and I flipped the puck off the boards and tried to go the other way around him. He stops, takes one step sideways where I was going, whacks me in the cage with his stick and puts both hands into my chest and pushes me over. Apparently he was just "defending himself." Would have been a breakaway too :sigh:

Later in the game, there was mad scramble in front of the net. I got knocked to my knees right outside the crease and was trying to poke the puck in. For my efforts, I got a cross-check to the back of the helmet sending me face-first into the ice. Ref 10 feet away. No call, only a sore neck this morning for my troubles.

tldr: Man, those BRONZE LEAGUE REFS ARE TERRIBLE

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

We had one last week that was a doozy. Guy from the right slot shots a snapshot and the motherfucker just flies into the net, hits the back post and flies out. Everyone on the ice thought it was a goal but the idiotic ref on the line didn't whistle anything.

Those of us on the bench were going :wtc: as they picked the puck up and went up ice, had a shot or two on net before our goalie covered the puck up for a whistle. At which point the two ref's head to the scorers table to talk something over and after a minute two, during which numerous people yelled at them to get Toronto on the phone, they point to the spot and award us a goal.

It was good that they realized their error, but I've never seen anything happen in that manner before.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

gigabitnokie posted:

Just told my team in the locker room last night that I'm moving across the country and had just played my last game :smith:

Sacramento area goons, beware.

I still haven't even started playing since I moved here. I need new skates and pants, my car poo poo itself after I got here and I just dished out $1500 for a down payment, so I haven't had the expendable income. Hopefully after this month goes by I can get out to Xport and hook myself up and get out there again. I'm sick of just watching my SO play...and she's probably sick of me giving NHL analysis on every game or practice I go to.

When I moved my two teams were mixed reaction, one was like OK PEACE the other was bummed. The group I played pickup with was devastated though.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

so are the bronze league players

:smug:

edit: oh yeah that reminds me the last time I reffed one of your team's games I kept meaning to say this to them but they were being all hella serious and I thought they'd be butthurt that a girl was telling them how to play but uhh, when you have the long change your dudes should really make an attempt to change onsides cause it's a pain to have to watch your bench so closely in the second period and maybe that's why refs are missing calls. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

real_scud posted:

numerous people yelled at them to get Toronto on the phone

And I thought we were the only team to do this. :hf:
Bench shenanigans are half the fun of playing, especially when joking with the refs. A favorite of mine is to complain about a "distinct kicking motion" when the other team scores.

Topoisomerase posted:

I cannot refute this.

quote:

edit: oh yeah that reminds me the last time I reffed one of your team's games I kept meaning to say this to them but theyw were being all hella serious and I thought they'd be butthurt that a girl was telling them how to play but uhh, when you have the long change your dudes should really make an attempt to change onsides cause it's a pain to have to watch your bench so closely in the second period and maybe that's why refs are missing calls. ;)

Our team, especially forwards, are terrible about changing period. People like to skate long shifts, so they only come to the bench when the other team is breaking into our zone because they don't want to get off when they have Sick 2v3 Opportunity. So infuriating.

As for the offsides thing, we've gotten called on that a couple times. Yell at my team. They're a bunch of babies anyway. #10 will literally cry if you hurt his feelings. I will pay you to do this.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 5, 2011

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sevorak posted:

Hahhahahaha, did you have Harry Potter and the small Asian girl refs? We had them for our game against Team X and actually Harry Potter was being cool until the second period where he called 2 BS penalties on us, then a "makeup" call on Team X to have a glorious 4 on 3 in which they took the lead 2-1 on a rebound.

We tied the game with 49 seconds left in regulation, and then with about 15 seconds left, I redirected a shot from the point on net, but the goalie got the very last inch of his right pad on it to prevent it from going in. That would have been a total steal of a win.

Still, lots of fun to play at HP. We're gunning for you sevorak. Revenge shall be ours!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

A few games ago a guy on the opposing team shot the puck from the point, the buzzer went off, then the puck went in the net. It was pretty clear the buzzer went off right as he took the shot but the refs counted it. And yeah I heard "get Toronto on the phone" from a few people, the bench banter was funny but yeah it was bullshit and we lost by a goal. :smith:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

edit: oh yeah that reminds me the last time I reffed one of your team's games I kept meaning to say this to them but they were being all hella serious and I thought they'd be butthurt that a girl was telling them how to play but uhh, when you have the long change your dudes should really make an attempt to change onsides cause it's a pain to have to watch your bench so closely in the second period and maybe that's why refs are missing calls. ;)

I've seen a couple of refs lament players changing off-sides, but I don't understand why. Nowhere that I can find in USA Hockey rules does it say players can't enter the ice in the attacking zone. Obviously, they may be off-side, but as long as they tag up, it's a non-issue. N'est pas?

Is this just a preference?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I think refs just make stuff up.. Back when I was playing roller we had no glass between the bench and the box so I would just hope over from the box to the bench.. some ref called too many men once because I didnt step on the floor.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
I've seen some posts about the Tron hockey sticks that some were considering trying out, anyone actually do that? If so I'd be interested to hear about it. I got an email from them advertising their Sr. gloves with a coupon making them half off (TRONGLOVE if anyone's wants), and was wondering if anyone had tried them out as well.

http://www.hockeytron.com/tr174.html

They compare them to Eagle gloves, which I know get rave reviews around here. Unfortunately Tron doesn't have any retailers near me or I'd go try some myself.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh yeah, also anecdotal datum: I switched back on Friday from the flat-bottom v cut I'd been skating with to a regular 1/2" cut (needed a sharpening and it's what was available).

Night and day difference. The flat-bottom offers substantially more glide. I feel like I'm skating in mud with the 1/2"

I'll be going back to the flat-bottom cut as soon as I need another sharpening. It's kind of like HDTV. You don't really notice a huge improvement going from SD -> HD. But holy poo poo, when you see SD again...

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 5, 2011

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I folded and grabbed an Easton E700 and added a bauer aviator shield. The medium fit me big even after brining the adjuster in so i went with a small open all the way, so far its pretty awesome, can't wait to try it on the ice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Oh yeah, also anecdotal datum: I switched back on Friday from the flat-bottom v cut I'd been skating with to a regular 1/2" cut (needed a sharpening and it's what was available).

Night and day difference. The flat-bottom offers substantially more glide. I feel like I'm skating in mud with the 1/2"

I'll be going back to the flat-bottom cut as soon as I need another sharpening. It's kind of like HDTV. You don't really notice a huge improvement going from SD -> HD. But holy poo poo, when you see SD again...

Had a guy get his skates cut before our game last night. He asked for the flat-bottom and they gave him a literal flat bottom. He had to go get them sharpened after his first shift :lol:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

poser posted:

I think refs just make stuff up.. Back when I was playing roller we had no glass between the bench and the box so I would just hope over from the box to the bench.. some ref called too many men once because I didnt step on the floor.

That's too many men. When you have a penalty, you're required to step on the ice (floor, whatever) before proceeding to the players bench. No player from the bench may enter play until either a. you proceed to the bench to make a legal line change or b. there is a whistle.

i scored a sick goal last night, me and my buddy hosed up a play at the blueline, resulting in me being offside, and him having essentially a breakaway that he can't take advantage of. So I get to the line, he goes in, sees the 2 dmen have gotten into position, drops the puck to me. The close dman moves to keep following him, and the other guy stops. I see that there's a lane and I take advantage going around the 2nd dman wide shortside. Cut to the front of the net, and go backhand. Shelf. :c00l:

E:

Dangerllama posted:

I've seen a couple of refs lament players changing off-sides, but I don't understand why. Nowhere that I can find in USA Hockey rules does it say players can't enter the ice in the attacking zone. Obviously, they may be off-side, but as long as they tag up, it's a non-issue. N'est pas?

Is this just a preference?

There's no rules saying you can't stand offside or change offside or whatever. That said, it's always a good idea for the forwards to jump on and off the ice from the middle of the bench in general, but in particular during the 2nd so that you never run the risk of having a play offside cause one guy took too long getting through the gate. Admittedly, this doesn't work in low-level hockey, but still.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 5, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

MiamiKid posted:

I've seen some posts about the Tron hockey sticks that some were considering trying out, anyone actually do that? If so I'd be interested to hear about it. I got an email from them advertising their Sr. gloves with a coupon making them half off (TRONGLOVE if anyone's wants), and was wondering if anyone had tried them out as well.

http://www.hockeytron.com/tr174.html

They compare them to Eagle gloves, which I know get rave reviews around here. Unfortunately Tron doesn't have any retailers near me or I'd go try some myself.

I bought a 3 pack that I split with 2 others on my team, it is a pretty light stick for the $50 it ended up being when they were on sale. I have only used it twice though, but I havent had any problems yet.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

e: nevermind. I'm just grumpy as hell.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 5, 2011

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

trilljester posted:

Hahhahahaha, did you have Harry Potter and the small Asian girl refs? We had them for our game against Team X and actually Harry Potter was being cool until the second period where he called 2 BS penalties on us, then a "makeup" call on Team X to have a glorious 4 on 3 in which they took the lead 2-1 on a rebound.

We tied the game with 49 seconds left in regulation, and then with about 15 seconds left, I redirected a shot from the point on net, but the goalie got the very last inch of his right pad on it to prevent it from going in. That would have been a total steal of a win.

Still, lots of fun to play at HP. We're gunning for you sevorak. Revenge shall be ours!

We had Harry Potter and one of the really nice older guys. Yeah, Harry Potter made almost all the calls. Half the time someone had a power play there'd be a make up call or some such nonsense to make it 4 on 4.

Well done tying Team X! We play them next week and that leaves them only two points ahead of us, so if we get a lucky win we'll be tied for first. When we played them at the beginning of the season it felt like 2/3 of their bench was ringers, but we had some new guys and were pretty rusty on our teamwork. I think we have a decent chance against them this time if we all bring our A game.

I remember the game we played against you guys now that I look at the score sheet. Close as hell until the third when we got two PPGs. Definitely looking forward to the next game against you guys, whenever that is.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

sba posted:

I still haven't even started playing since I moved here. I need new skates and pants, my car poo poo itself after I got here and I just dished out $1500 for a down payment, so I haven't had the expendable income. Hopefully after this month goes by I can get out to Xport and hook myself up and get out there again. I'm sick of just watching my SO play...and she's probably sick of me giving NHL analysis on every game or practice I go to.

When I moved my two teams were mixed reaction, one was like OK PEACE the other was bummed. The group I played pickup with was devastated though.

What size skates/pants do you need? I'm selling all my skater stuff and only bringing my goalie gear. If they fit, I have great condition 10D Vapor X4.0s and meh M-M Synergy pants for you if you cover shipping and help me out with finding ice when I get out there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I did a thing in scrimmage the other night that got me thinking I have a limited idea of what I can do with my stick to interfere with another player's stick. I know interference rules and stick fouls, but I haven't sat down and read the whole rule book cover to cover (so I suppose this means I should do that).

I was chasing the play and had no real chance of getting the puck myself. But I did catch up to the opposing player and I was able to drop my stick on top of his, near the blade, which allowed my teammate who did have a shot at the puck to win possession.

No one said anything and I think what I did was okay, but am not 100% sure. What can I legally do to slow down someone's attempt to collect the puck?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

e: nvm

Gio fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 6, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

No one said anything and I think what I did was okay, but am not 100% sure. What can I legally do to slow down someone's attempt to collect the puck?
You can do that up to a point, if the puck is near you're allowed to go over their stick in an attempt to play it, but watch out because if I notice a guy doing it to me I'll simply try to pull my stick back in order to slide out from underneath the other players stick and then because he's got all his weight on his stick trying to hold mine down he'll be somewhat out of position and I can make an easy play on the puck.

In other news tonight we won 3-2 in a pretty close game and I get to keep my moustache because I had the primary assist on our first goal on a pretty spin-pass from the half-board on a breakaway. It was a perfect tape-to-tape pass to my linemate who was on the far post for an easy tap-in. I honestly had no idea he was there all I was thinking in my head was "get it on net" and as usual good things happen when you do it.

Cause of that I get to keep my handlebar 'stache for yet another week since my scoring streak is still alive.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

xzzy posted:

I don't know what the rulebook says on this, but the way the refs in our league call it, as long as you don't turn over the blade of your stick you're fine. Turn over the blade and it's hooking.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

So I did a thing in scrimmage the other night that got me thinking I have a limited idea of what I can do with my stick to interfere with another player's stick. I know interference rules and stick fouls, but I haven't sat down and read the whole rule book cover to cover (so I suppose this means I should do that).

I was chasing the play and had no real chance of getting the puck myself. But I did catch up to the opposing player and I was able to drop my stick on top of his, near the blade, which allowed my teammate who did have a shot at the puck to win possession.

My favorite is the stick lift.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
e: what he said. :hfive:

xzzy posted:

This is legal. With that said, a better action is to go under his stick and lift it just as he's about to do something, anything, with it. this will give you a chance to use his loss of possession to get the puck yourself, or at least make him stop whatever he's doing to try and get the puck back. You need to be careful though, as if you miss and don't keep your stick under control you could easily end up high sticking the dude. So basically, the ideal is that you do a hard but short motioned upwards slash, then grab the puck immediately after. It takes some practice, but works incredibly well.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 6, 2011

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

And once you do it to a guy a few times, you can psych him out by faking the stick lift so he instinctively lifts his own stick, then when he tries to bring it down you give him the real business.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can even use the stick lift just to be an rear end in a top hat and annoy other players. I know if I'm going for a puck in the corner or something and I'm dead even or a bit behind the other guy, I'll lift his stick a few times just to make him think about it a little and possibly misplay the puck. It doesn't always work, but it doesn't hurt, either, unless you're sacrificing speed to the puck to do it.

in other news, my S15 came today and I'm super excited to play with it tomorrow. Trouble is, I need to find a hacksaw in my college town to cut it down a few inches, which won't be easy. I wonder if there's one at the rink that I can use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Robo-Pope posted:

I don't know what the rulebook says on this, but the way the refs in our league call it, as long as you don't turn over the blade of your stick you're fine. Turn over the blade and it's hooking.

See, I never would have thought you could get called for a hook at ice level. Always figured it had to be at their knees or higher, which is how it usually goes in the NHL.

Stick lifts still make me nervous because I don't want to stab someone in the face, but I'll try to remember it and give it an effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh dear god my knees...

I was doing a coaching certification clinic yesterday and part of it was an on-ice session where the instructors had us doing practice drills that we could take back and use as coaches. So there's 60 adults out on the ice in warmups with just gloves and helmets and sticks. No one bothers to skate full gear because hey, we all know what we're doing and it's just some light demos, nothing crazy.

Yeah, right.

We had a skating instructor giving an edge demo, and when my group went to practice it one of my buddies and I ran into each other. He's a lot bigger than I am, and he stayed on his feet. I did not. I landed flat on my knees on the ice. Now they're both swollen and bruised and I've even got fabric burn patterns on my left knee from my warmup pants. I'm supposed to play tomorrow night and I'm not sure I'll be able to get my shin guard on over my right knee (at least not without a considerable amount of pain). I missed our game last week because I was suffering through a flu, and now this. Life's about a bitch.

But on the bright side, I got my Level I coaching cert.