Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I was following your joke with a joke because you can't stretch a joint. It was not a good joke.

I am but a simple man. A joke within a joke is too complicated for me v:shobon:v

Edit: Oh, this won't do for a new page. Here's joe rogan talking about jiujitsu again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZZ5qZc6Dk

I like what he says about the ego when beginning jujitsu.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

I am but a simple man. A joke within a joke is too complicated for me v:shobon:v

Edit: Oh, this won't do for a new page. Here's joe rogan talking about jiujitsu again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZZ5qZc6Dk

I like what he says about the ego when beginning jujitsu.

Ego in any sport is a bad thing, when your poo poo can get broke moreso.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

From the top of half guard, flatten the guy out. [...]
OK I found one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSI5x3BO_K4

Haha, that definitely owns quite a bit, I'll be sure to test it out next time I roll

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yes. Somersault calf slice from top half guard is the most baller submission though.

I've actually been avoiding demoing this at the club because it works so well I wanted it to become my secret weapon, but since we're all sharing, everyone please try this:
Ko uchi makikomi into a sommersault back take (it's basically a twister roll from standing) is the best thing ever.

This move is my goto from failed shoulder throws and o uchi garis. Seriously, try this thing. I've been practicing it as: Chest shove>dash in>advancing foot sweep>shoulder throw>ko uchi makikomi>sommersault back take>RNC and it's surprisingly smooth, works off the opponent's natural reactions, disorients and looks amazing.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 23, 2011

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mmawarehouse.com is having an awesome Black Friday sale till Sunday at 12 am. I just bought a pair of grappling instep shingaurds for $19 that were normally $64. They have a few gi's on there too and raashgaurds and shorts. Just a heads up!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TwistedNails posted:

mmawarehouse.com is having an awesome Black Friday sale till Sunday at 12 am. I just bought a pair of grappling instep shingaurds for $19 that were normally $64. They have a few gi's on there too and raashgaurds and shorts. Just a heads up!

Sweet, thanks dude I need some new stuff.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Budovideos is also having a pretty good sale. 15% off everything with the code blackfriday2011. I think the code is good until tomorrow at midnight pst.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MMA warehouse has a half decent deal for a beginners kit, Jaco shorts, compression shorts, cup, mouth guard and rashguard for $100.00.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBogci4cze0

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
BJJ is the gayest loving sport

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

henkman posted:

BJJ is the gayest loving sport

Pshaw.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What was that knee raise for, a hip throw?

This is a highlight from the Russian wrestling nationals posted in the MA thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptaNak1B3_Q

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

This is a highlight from the Russian wrestling nationals posted in the MA thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptaNak1B3_Q

Embedding because that poo poo was cool. I don't even understand how some of those moves work, like at 1:25 he sends the guy flying just by yanking his wrist or something :wth:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The sitdown and leg trip from overhook at 5:13 was my favorite.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Anyone still have a link for that old highlight video from that French (I think) wrestling club? There was tons of cool poo poo on that one too but I can't remember what the name of it was.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

Embedding because that poo poo was cool. I don't even understand how some of those moves work, like at 1:25 he sends the guy flying just by yanking his wrist or something :wth:

Looks like a basic arm drag, just very well timed. They don't show the build up but it looks like the other guy was going to commit to something and the attacker timed the drag really well to get him when he didn't have a base.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

colonel_korn posted:

2:20 rules

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
I've got long legs and closed guard is my favorite position, for a while I was sweeping/subbing everyone with my favorite moves, but all of my regular training partners have become really familiar with them by now (triangle, hip bump, and windmill/pendulum sweep, either off the armbar or when they shift base or try to stand up), and several people have all started using the same pass successfully now.. I'm not sure what the name is, if it has one.. its a kneeling pass where they make space and then bring one of their knees up in front of them towards their chin, so their shin is basically in my rear end. that's the best way I can think to verbally describe it.

I know I need to uncross my feet and switch to open guard on my terms, before they force it to happen... but i don't know how and what open guard to switch to. any suggestions would be awesome, hopefully this isn't a dumb question and my description is adequate. Once they get that knee over and I'm forced into half guard I'm totally helpless, I haven't been taught anything from bottom half yet and all I know (underhook, keep legs above their knee) just lets me stall for a while.. and it really loving pisses me off when my guard gets passed

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mindtwist posted:

I've got long legs and closed guard is my favorite position, for a while I was sweeping/subbing everyone with my favorite moves, but all of my regular training partners have become really familiar with them by now (triangle, hip bump, and windmill/pendulum sweep, either off the armbar or when they shift base or try to stand up), and several people have all started using the same pass successfully now.. I'm not sure what the name is, if it has one.. its a kneeling pass where they make space and then bring one of their knees up in front of them towards their chin, so their shin is basically in my rear end. that's the best way I can think to verbally describe it.

I know I need to uncross my feet and switch to open guard on my terms, before they force it to happen... but i don't know how and what open guard to switch to. any suggestions would be awesome, hopefully this isn't a dumb question and my description is adequate. Once they get that knee over and I'm forced into half guard I'm totally helpless, I haven't been taught anything from bottom half yet and all I know (underhook, keep legs above their knee) just lets me stall for a while.. and it really loving pisses me off when my guard gets passed

For them to pass your legs using that pass they have to keep your hips low in order to open your guard forcibly, normally this is done by them getting their hands on your hips so they can get their elbows in your thighs (is this what you mean?). Get wrist control faster. I'm small 5"8 and like 160 pounds I roll with guys at least 25 pounds heavier than me, all of them taller, every training session and they all have trouble passing my guard because I'm a motherfucker for not giving up wrist control.

If I'm going against someone too strong for me to keep wrist control on then I'll shift my angles of attack and whenever they shift either shrimp to pull them forward and more off balance or move them. The biggest weakness I had when starting out was a tendency to focus on throwing my legs around instead of controlling my opponents posture and wrists and keeping my legs tight when I was moving.

You can underhook on arm and use your weight to pull them back into a more solid position if they're keeping your hips flattened and you're having trouble getting wrist control.

Try different things to chain together fakes, sweeps and submissions together. We learn the hip bump sweep as a precursor to looking for a guillotine or kimura. Quite often from looking for a hip bump sweep I'll switch to a guillotine (usually the ten finger), or fake a kimura to looking for an omoplata or arm bar from that side.

Setting up a hip bump, switching to the guillotine just to make space for an armbar can be fun. It's all about being ready to try for something else when the first idea fails.

From the half guard there's some nice sweeps you can look for, you're length will help you with these, cause I'm a small but quicker fucker I like to look for ways to the back from half since a lot of guys don't worry about what my outside leg is going and generally give me space to sneak under an arm pit.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

mindtwist posted:

After the first paragraph I was going to say "When that happens I usually switch to half guard and go for a sweep from there".

So after the second paragraph I'll say, start working on your half guard ;)

And you can also try to go back to full guard from half guard, because once they're in your half guard, you'll no longer be in the position where they're doing that pass on you and you can try to block it if they try it again once you get back to full guard.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely be working on this and I'll keep the wrist control and underhook ideas in mind. I'm getting better at chaining attacks together, last time I used ryan hall's hip bump triangle for the first time and it was beautiful, and there's really good little purple belt at my academy who I like to emulate by always attacking with a deep cross collar grip, threatening chokes with that always seems to set up other stuff.

Probably have to start learning some half guard on my own time as well. There's a shorter, stocky built blue belt that has this tight, crushing top game and after I swept him once from closed guard, he avoids it every roll and rushes right into half lol. I managed to take his back once from it but I have no idea how it happened, it just did it by itself. usually I just end up getting smashed for 6 minutes, but even keeping him from getting side or mount is a huge accomplishment for me.

I competed for the first time in October and that decision really changed the focus and intensity of my trainig.. it forced me to make a plan (pull guard cuz i can't do poo poo else) and pick out a couple techniques I wanted to work on, and it definitely improved my game a lot. but now that I don't have anything to train for I've kind of reverted back to aimlessly rolling and just having fun. I need to get that focus back but I don't think there's another comp until like March :(

mindtwist fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 1, 2011

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Interesting interview with Alliance's Jordon Schultz here.

I have always been fascinated with people that give up their careers to focus on BJJ for a living.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

hopper2k posted:

I have always been fascinated with people that give up their careers to focus on BJJ for a living.

I've got a lot of respect for the work Jordan's done and his accomplishments but I rolled my eyes pretty hard at his welfare poo poo.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

hopper2k posted:

I'm actually of the opposite mind set. Those who actually manage a career (or hell even a job) in addition to being high level competitive athlete gets my respect.

I did not particularly care for his interview. Particularly where he hints that Americans on welfare don't starve or that you should always be training, even if your mom dies....

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 5, 2011

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

haha you werent kidding

quote:

I know I haven’t suffered at all in comparison to guys in Brazil. I’ve never literally starved. America is a great country, but our welfare system encourages laziness and should be eliminated. Poverty in America means you can still have an IPhone. It means you just have to eat at Burger King (because the cost/calorie ratio is so low) instead of Applebee’s. Poverty in Brazil means you literally starve.
If I don’t succeed at BJJ I can fall back on my engineering degree. I wish I didn’t have a plan-B. If you really want to succeed at something put your back against the wall. Put yourself in a situation where if you don’t succeed you’ll be broke and homeless and maybe you’ll die.

welloffwhitepeopleopinions.txt right here

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

Senor P. posted:

I'm actually of the opposite mind set. Those who actually manage a career (or hell even a job) in addition to being high level competitive athlete gets my respect.

I did not particularly care for his interview. Particularly where he hints that Americans on welfare don't starve or that you should always be training, even if your mom dies....

Yeah, I forgot about that part. It did seem a bit extremist.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Dante posted:

haha you werent kidding

I am speechless. Hopefully this many grapples with Palhares one day.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
That guy does not seem like a good or particularily well informed person.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
"hey, we should be more like Brazil" is at best ignorant and at worst... evil.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dante posted:

haha you werent kidding

Hahah, BJJ guys are such dorks. That guy would learn more about mental toughness in one high school wrestling practice than in 10 years of self-imposed fake poverty Brazilian cosplay

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

it's especially ironic because for the longest time the sport was dominated by people that came from the wealthier section of brazil. The people who actually can train two times a day for a non-spectator sport with no money in it. Surprisingly all these brazilian badasses that went abroad to start TV production companies or run tournaments named after themselves were in fact not living in the favelas.

Dante fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 5, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Dante posted:

it's especially ironic because for the longest time the sport was dominated by people that came from the wealthier section of brazil. The people who actually can train two times a day for a non-spectator sport with no money in it. Surprisingly all these brazilian badasses that went abroad to start TV production companies or run tournaments named after themselves were in fact not living in the favelas.

this is probably one of the strangest things to realize. Most of the founding guys were at least what we'd consider upper middle class. Like, Helio had that enormous property with the big house and acreage. I don't think Bjj was that lucrative at the time. Not that they weren't tough or hard workers, or that they were hedgefund rich, but they had the time to train really hard and have very little actual income.

Also see: Arona, Ricardo

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

this is probably one of the strangest things to realize. Most of the founding guys were at least what we'd consider upper middle class. Like, Helio had that enormous property with the big house and acreage. I don't think Bjj was that lucrative at the time. Not that they weren't tough or hard workers, or that they were hedgefund rich, but they had the time to train really hard and have very little actual income.

Also see: Arona, Ricardo
yeah BJJ wasn't as bad as polo, but it was certainly dominated by the upper class and the wealthy and in general the kind of people who had sons who could lounge around the dojo and study during the evenings. Carlos Machado dropped out of law school to help establish a network of academies in the US, he was familiar with the language because he had exchanged there earlier and so on.

Dante posted:

man roger gracie isn't kidding around when he says his academy is different

http://vimeo.com/user7552022/submission

also I guess Estima just outweirded his rival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za3kVxAr82c

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
show me your jiu-jitsu, playboy

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Dante posted:

yeah BJJ wasn't as bad as polo, but it was certainly dominated by the upper class and the wealthy and in general the kind of people who had sons who could lounge around the dojo and study during the evenings. Carlos Machado dropped out of law school to help establish a network of academies in the US, he was familiar with the language because he had exchanged there earlier and so on.

also I guess Estima just outweirded his rival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za3kVxAr82c

Haha funny you mention Carlos. He is my instructor. Ya I remember someone asked him about lawschool once and he was like, "meh, something to do between training sessions". He was joking around but ya certainly not a story like Anderson or Aldo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

http://vimeo.com/33333379

adcc highlight video, kind of cool

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
the quality is nice but the intro is almost two minutes long and lots of black screen at the end for basically two minutes of actual highlight material. pretty poor for a two-day event

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

the periodic fable posted:

the quality is nice but the intro is almost two minutes long and lots of black screen at the end for basically two minutes of actual highlight material. pretty poor for a two-day event

It was all worthwhile for that shot of a pissed-off Rickson.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Rickson has such a magical aura surrounding him these days. At least he does for me. Does anyone know how good his BJJ really is right now? Like, are there any pro's that have rolled with him lately that have spoken about it? He's getting old and i wouldn't be surprised if a whole bunch of people are better than he is but still, He's such a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Got my brown belt today. Feel good about that.