Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

You're right, those are clearly unsolvable problems and require ruining a gas line which then needs to be replaced before you can ride next year. My mistake.

And you're right, gas lines are super expensive rare devices, made of materials not found on this earth, definitely not available for pennies per foot, and they cant be found at any hardware store ever, also they dont take like two minutes to swap out.

Two minutes also being the time it takes to remove the tank and leave it somewhere else, or fix a tiny slow, otherwise inconsequential leak in a petcock by rebuilding it, or disassemble the carbs to make sure the floats are perfect, or clean the gas smell out of your house.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

robotsinmyhead posted:

I guess this is sort of a general motorcycle question, but anyway:

I'm facing the probability of not having a winter storage location for my bike this year and having to keep it outside all winter. I can buy any number of tarps and covers and such, but is there anything I should REALLY look for? I'm in an apartment, so a shed is out of the question. The bike is a DRZ400SM if that makes any difference.

Make sure your cover has vents. Moisture trapped on the wrong side of a waterproof cover can create a little rust incubator.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

TheDon01 posted:

You got a living room right?

2nd floor apt.

But I guess if you really have to keep it outside, Sta-Bil in a full tank of gas, battery hooked up to tender, GOOD waterproof cover, raise it off the ground so tires are off, and maybe some some sort of antifreeze in the radiator, replace with proper coolant come spring. I actually have no idea what kind of coolant is in there stock.

I could actually pull that off, but I'd have to run it up 3 flights of stairs with 4 180º bends and 2 90º bends. I think it'd probably get stuck.

I have the battery tender on it at least, just need to find a nice cover.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

robotsinmyhead posted:

run it up 3 flights of stairs with 4 180º bends and 2 90º bends

I'm sure there's a supermoto youtube video of someone doing this already

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
If I ever ended up not being able to keep my bikes inside a shed, living room, etc., I would just buy a van and make that my storage. A cargo van could fit two and a conversion van would make a bitchin trackday hauler.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm sure there's a supermoto youtube video of someone doing this already

Finish of romaniacs 2008/2009 or dougie lampkin.

Edit: ok it isn't supermoto, still counts. :)

karms fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 17, 2011

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
In all seriousness you can probably fit a bike in something like a 5x5 storage unit for next to nothing, locked up and out of the elements. This has the longer-term bonus of becoming a good place to dump spare parts / out of season gear / do simple maintenance out of the weather.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My supermoto will finally have street cred!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

My supermoto will finally have street cred!

That'll show those Ducati boys when you pop into the cafe for a Latte

(note: user may have similar shipping from ebay as we speak)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats with the second, tinier guard?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I dunno, they were on blowout via bikebandit Ultimate air and bug deflector piece. And they came with the mounting stuff for about $50 less than most of the other kits.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Protect the master cylinder from flying rocks and branches. Effective? WHO KNOWS

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
So... thoughts on MX helmets for primarily street riding? Looks like they're all DOT/Snell approved. I'm trying to tell myself that I need one so I can repaint my scuffed-up Scorpion, but if I'm honest, I want one because they look badass :toot:

What brands should I be looking at? It seems like there are a poo poo-ton of them, and they're all on sale right now.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

toolshed posted:

So... thoughts on MX helmets for primarily street riding? Looks like they're all DOT/Snell approved. I'm trying to tell myself that I need one so I can repaint my scuffed-up Scorpion, but if I'm honest, I want one because they look badass :toot:

What brands should I be looking at? It seems like there are a poo poo-ton of them, and they're all on sale right now.

AFX fx-39's and similar. Best of both worlds really. Cheap as hell and look pretty badass. I think the Shoei Hornet is the appropriate rich-guy alternative.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Keep in mind that the shape of MX helmets makes for a hell of a lot of wind buffeting at higher speeds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ world records:

-First to jump a city block
-First to stair ride on the drat stairs from the exorcist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGrBasvD89k

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

AncientTV posted:

Keep in mind that the shape of MX helmets makes for a hell of a lot of wind buffeting at higher speeds.

Yeah, this would mainly be a secondary helmet for ripping around the city.

I've looked at a few of the different DS helmets, but they all look a little funky with the full visor. Maybe it's just me.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
The rear end came out a little today due to shifting too low on a right turn did I just back it in?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

bred posted:

The rear end came out a little today due to shifting too low on a right turn did I just back it in?

babbys first itsy weeny

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You nudged it in.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

bred posted:

When you run over your own foot, we'll talk.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Hopefully not a repost but a pretty kick rear end SuperMoto vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmaLVZjZ5z8

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I seem to remember someone having a fix for this problem.. My drz400sm license plate is rattling off. I have an aftermarket rear light assembly where it fastens to the top two holes.. I have washers holding the plate down with some bolts/nuts.

The top right side is cracking, and when its running the thing vibrates really hard and is probably going to crack more and fall off if I don't do something.

I guess I could just put bigger washers on it, but it seems like I need to do something to reduce vibrations. Maybe I should put some rubber things on the bolts that are mounting the entire assembly to the bike to dampen it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Switch to zip ties, or rubber mount your washers. I just used 3-4 zip ties per side, and kept an eye on them. They never broke though.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Whats the deal with changing tyres on spoked rims?
I've done the SV tyres before but i have a set of pilot powers coming for the drz and want to fit them myself, just wondering if I have to do anything different when supporting the wheels while I swing out of them to get the old tyres off.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Tubes, lol. So much fun!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

needknees posted:

Tubes, lol. So much fun!

gently caress me i didnt even stop to think there'd be tubes. :smith:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just thank the stars you don't have a thread locker and take your licks smiling.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
They're really not that bad. The one thing I noticed when changing tires on the KTM is the drop center of its wheels wasn't anywhere NEAR as deep as my CBR's was. That thing you could really get the bead stuffed down into, made changing tires a freakin cinch.

I found it much easier to change them with irons rather than the mojolever I used on street wheels.

Spiffness posted:

Just thank the stars you don't have a thread locker and take your licks smiling.

Beadlocks can go to hell :argh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

needknees posted:

Beadlocks can go to hell :argh:

Ugh my F11 has them and they're essentially OEM supplied pinch-flat generators.

Once they're on they work fine, but installing tires and tubes with them is a pain.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-hmPmuzSKE&t=183s

I can't wait for my SM bike to be ready.

Video is quite overproduced but when it gets to the meat... it's worth it

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-hmPmuzSKE&t=183s

I can't wait for my SM bike to be ready.

Video is quite overproduced but when it gets to the meat... it's worth it

Me too. Goddamn.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

soy posted:

I seem to remember someone having a fix for this problem.. My drz400sm license plate is rattling off. I have an aftermarket rear light assembly where it fastens to the top two holes.. I have washers holding the plate down with some bolts/nuts.

The top right side is cracking, and when its running the thing vibrates really hard and is probably going to crack more and fall off if I don't do something.

I guess I could just put bigger washers on it, but it seems like I need to do something to reduce vibrations. Maybe I should put some rubber things on the bolts that are mounting the entire assembly to the bike to dampen it?

The plate on my KTM tore almost all the way through due to engine and dirt road vibration. A friend suggested I mount it to a ~2mm steel plate ($5-10 from the hardware store) and then mount the whole thing to the bike. Has been working great for the last 6 months or so.

DownsideUp
Jul 17, 2004
MuchLove<3<3<3
Just came up on a 2003 KLR250 for free, am I stupid to consider this as a good "first bike" ? I live in San Francisco by the way and my commute is about 5 miles downtown and i'm already tired of waiting for the bus.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That would be a great first bike

DownsideUp
Jul 17, 2004
MuchLove<3<3<3
Rad! thanks for replying so quick, it's been sitting so i'm going to change all the seals and bleed everything and replace it with new, ... I really was looking at the new klx250sf just because it seems like it's built for the city, but im probably stupid for thinking of buying a new bike haha

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
WR450Fs. Tell me about them. Specifically, tell me about their maintenance intervals. Because I'm thinking about one as a 'tard.

e: Oh poo poo, here we go. How do LC4s hold up to that many kms?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 14, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DownsideUp posted:

Rad! thanks for replying so quick, it's been sitting so i'm going to change all the seals and bleed everything and replace it with new, ... I really was looking at the new klx250sf just because it seems like it's built for the city, but im probably stupid for thinking of buying a new bike haha

Well for free, you may as well take it and try it before you buy something. Even if it turns out to be junk, you can flip it.

DownsideUp
Jul 17, 2004
MuchLove<3<3<3
I figure i'll keep it at my parents house and ride it around on the weekends, then if it's something i'd want to keep i'll move it to sf, or just buy something newer, a 250 should be all i need around sf, i'm 6'4 and about 180lbs btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

WR450Fs. Tell me about them. Specifically, tell me about their maintenance intervals. Because I'm thinking about one as a 'tard.

e: Oh poo poo, here we go. How do LC4s hold up to that many kms?

That gen of lc4 should go the distance, no problem. 2 guys on adv have done basically RTW on them, 37k miles on them with no major issues. Check their thread on adv.

Klx250 is a great first bike/city bike. No need to do the fork seals if they're not leaking. Check the age on the tires, change oil, check air filter, flush brake fluid, clean carb, and you should be good to go.

• Locked thread