Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
In an attempt to do something besides sit on my rear end at work all day, then on my couch after that I am going to try and get into a program. I am doing a free session at this place tomorrow. Any comments would be welcome as I am completely new to any of this.

http://www.alvarezbjj.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

ExCruceLeo posted:

In an attempt to do something besides sit on my rear end at work all day, then on my couch after that I am going to try and get into a program. I am doing a free session at this place tomorrow. Any comments would be welcome as I am completely new to any of this.

Make sure you don't smell bad or have any apparent gross skin disease/rash before you go in and start rolling around on the ground with other men; it takes some newbies a few weeks/months to learn this fact. Everything else will be self explanatory

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

james earl pwns posted:

Make sure you don't smell bad or have any apparent gross skin disease/rash before you go in and start rolling around on the ground with other men; it takes some newbies a few weeks/months to learn this fact. Everything else will be self explanatory

Always shower, brush your teeth, and put on clean clothes before participating in our gay sport.

Seriously. Don't be that guy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ExCruceLeo posted:

Alvarez BJJ posted:

About Jiu Jitsu
History of Jiu-Jitsu

The Martial Art was developed in India more than 2000 years ago before Christ, by Buddhist monks. Because their religion and moral values did not allow the use of weapons, these monks were forced to develop empty hand system of self defense to protect themselves against barbarian attacks, which was common at the time.

Since these monks possessed great scientific knowledge, they created a system of self-defense based on the laws of physics such as center of gravity, balance, weight shifting, momentum and friction as well as human body vital and weakest points. Their system spread through China and eventually made its way to Japan.

The Samurai clans of Japan adopted Jiu-Jitsu (meaning gentle art) as their own traditional style to defeat an opponent regardless if the situation was throwing, striking, or grappling. Along the years, with the intention of hiding Jiu-Jitsu from the westerners who were generally bigger and stronger, the Japanese split the techniques and developed martial arts with limited effectiveness such as Karate, Judo, Aikido, etc.

History Brazilian of Jiu-Jitsu

Jiu-Jitsu finally made its way to Brazil in the early 1900’s, after Japanese Jiu-Jitsu champion Mitsuyo Maeda immigrated there. Because of his Jiu-Jitsu exploits, he had been awarded a government position by Prince Hirohito to oversee Japanese immigration to Brazil. His efforts were largely aided by Gastao Gracie, a Brazilian politician and scholar of Scottish descent. Maeda was so grateful that in return he decided to go against Japanese tradition, teaching real Jiu-Jitsu to a non-Japanese, Gastao’s oldest son, Carlos Gracie. This was about 1918.

Carlos taught Maeda’s techniques to his four brothers: Oswaldo, Gastao, Jorge and Helio and in 1925 they opened the first Gracie Jiu-Jitsu academy in Brazil. Carlos and his brothers, particularly Helio, change the original art by adapting the techniques of Japanese Jiu-Jitsu so that they depended mostly upon leverage, rather than strength and explosiveness. They experimented, modified and perfected simple techniques that would be effective regardless of stature. Consequently, they broke away from the traditional Japanese style and began the development of a more efficient and complete art.

As Gracie Jiu-Jitsu was passed on to later generations of the Gracie Clan, their martial art style became increasingly popular in Brazil giving rise to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The Gracie style is now widely practiced throughout many parts of the world and is continuously evolving as a result.

Not saying this is a red flag, since just about every BJJ club has wierd made up stories for the history of BJJ, but wow. This might be the most fantasy and falsehood I've ever seen for a history of BJJ.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Illegal Username posted:

Holy poo poo.

Just, holy poo poo.

We are getting our very own gym. Due to other people having tremendously bad business sense and our magic of connections we get to lease a dirt cheap factory hall. One month-long renovation and we'll have almost three times the mat space, actual gym equipment, and even a goddamn sauna.

Good bye bomb shelter. I'll probably miss the rough-hewn rock walls but i won't miss the cold-war era ventilation systems or strange old people blocking the way to the mats with airplanes.

Very nice ;) Post picture of your old vs new place if you get the chance. I always like seeing where other people train!

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Thoguh posted:

Not saying this is a red flag, since just about every BJJ club has wierd made up stories for the history of BJJ, but wow. This might be the most fantasy and falsehood I've ever seen for a history of BJJ.

Yeah I don't know. Looks like a few websites use that.

http://jiujitsuacademy.com/style.html

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thoguh posted:

It's sort of close, just a big dose of Hollywood. For example: the earliest recorded stuff on martial arts is Indian, but I don't think they only did unarmed or the unarmed training was due to Buddhism.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Sure, Maeda was a JJJ practitioner, he also had traveled worldwide fighting and doing demonstrations in Judo and Karate. Especially with the similarity between those three arts in the early 20th century before Karate in Japan became "Shotokan Karate" almost exclusively.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Alvarez BJJ posted:

Along the years, with the intention of hiding Jiu-Jitsu from the westerners who were generally bigger and stronger, the Japanese split the techniques and developed martial arts with limited effectiveness such as Karate, Judo, Aikido, etc.

This had me laughing, "The secret martial art that THEY didn't want you to know about"

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

the yellow dart posted:

As far as I've seen you're allowed to do it but you're just going to get armbarred for your troubles so ymmv

I was thinking from within half guard but yeah...

Thoguh posted:

:words:

I didn't realize the Gracies were of Scottish descent.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crankit posted:

This had me laughing, "The secret martial art that THEY didn't want you to know about"

But he went against tradition to teach the Gracies the supersecret art of... Kodokan Judo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Maeda was one dapper mother fucker. That's for sure.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

origami posted:

I was thinking from within half guard but yeah...

I didn't realize the Gracies were of Scottish descent.

I didn't realize Lyoto Machida was half Brazilian until I read his book. Brazil is a true melting pot (but it's still better to be light skinned with blue eyes there.)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Brazil actually has the largest population of Japanese people outside of Japan. Its sort of weird when you see like little Tokyo: Rio edition.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

the yellow dart posted:

As far as I've seen you're allowed to do it but you're just going to get armbarred for your troubles so ymmv

I think it's fine as long as you don't grab the trachea. There's a video somewhere of Leo Vieira (I think) "rape choking" someone from mount and gets the tap. It was a no-gi match.

EDIT: I should clarify it ended up being like a weird ezekiel choke (using both hands) but you get the idea.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Still waiting to get physical copies of Ray Dean's DVD, but watched the first DVD quickly on the computer and wow, this is exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to watch it all and practice all of this during judo. The guy is very clear and precise in his explanations. He's good at explaining the concept of why and how a technique works and common mistakes. He also explain ways to chain different techniques that flow well together. I'm sure there are plenty of good DVDs online, but for basics this seems to be perfect in every way.

The only thing that I would ahve liked to see more of if I was completely new to this is a little bit more info about each basic positions/posture. Since I've been doing grappling for a while now I don't think I need it that much, but I think it would have been a great addition to what is already present.

Highly recommended to all the BJJ white belt and judo guys who don't crosstrain and would like to improve their newaza.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I feel like the "Rape Choke" being legal in any style is weird since it is so easy to cause an injury to the trachea from that technique if you are applying it with full strength.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Highly recommended to all the BJJ white belt and judo guys who don't crosstrain and would like to improve their newaza.

I think he has the BJJ/Judo/Aikido triple black belt, making him completely perfect for judo crossovers.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Thoguh posted:

I feel like the "Rape Choke" being legal in any style is weird since it is so easy to cause an injury to the trachea from that technique if you are applying it with full strength.
As posted earlier, in bjj rape choking someone is pretty much a guaranteed way to get armbarred. That being said, the defense is relatively simple as well - tuck your chin, peel the hand off. Unless the dude has like 100lbs on you and an unmovable base i'd be surprised to see anyone get finished with one.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

Holy poo poo.

Just, holy poo poo.

We are getting our very own gym.

Whoaaaa! That's so great it's beyond erm greatness. Can I come over and get used as a floor rug.

edit: HEY GUYZ, a very high level gay leotard light contact ("assaut") boxing fight here. I always have problems finding these, and for once, here's one. I wonder what people make of that. And for comparison, same style, same techniques especially with legs shown well and how it translates to full contact here. And those guys aren't really very fun to just box against either. Or the girls. Who are pretty hot.

(No, you perv, the girls aren't hot because someone is zooming at their tits or you get close ups from their pretty face. It's because they can triple kick you in the face without lowering their leg, transition effortlessly to a five strike boxing combination which will have you on the ropes and then vanish from your range. All this in a few seconds too. And if something is hot that is.)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 6, 2011

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I can't see it putting much more pressure on the trachea than a lot of front choke variations or having the crushing power of a good RNC.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I can't see it putting much more pressure on the trachea than a lot of front choke variations or having the crushing power of a good RNC.

The thumbs straight into a single point on the trachea is a lot more force than a rear naked choke, which spreads the force out over the entire surface area of a forearm.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 6, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Somebody posted this video on my facebook wall today. Probably the coolest Judo demonstration I've ever seen.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

One of my new kittens wrestles just like I do. He falls on his back and then flails around like a retard. The other one has a pretty slick top game though. Maintain that posture, little man.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
My mind is blown. After watching the Roy Dean's DVD I was able to do quite a few moves that I was struggling with. Arm bar to pendulum sweep is now my favorite thing in the whole world.

drat Thoguh, that video went straight to my facebook. Way too awesome

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Some dude tried to rob a 250 lbs MMA fighter at gunpoint. His face looks pretty "restrained" on the picture. No we all know at that situation you'd be better off just handing your phone and cash and praying the guy isn't a total nut but the unnamed fighter apparently thought he was in danger of getting shot anyway (picked that from another piece). Happened in Chicago, in Finland, you might end up paying the robber for assaulting him with excessive force ha ha haa.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Ligur posted:

savate

Do you feel like a high level TKD practicioner would have a good time transitioning to this?

Ligur posted:

"justice"

Self defense is okay, but if you beat the poo poo out of a guy you have a hundred pounds on after taking away his gun just to "teach him a lesson" then you are a piece of poo poo and bad for the sport.

niethan fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 7, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

niethan posted:

Self defense is okay, but if you beat the poo poo out of a guy you have a hundred pounds on after taking away his gun just to "teach him a lesson" then you are a piece of poo poo and bad for the sport.

After you've just gotten out of a life and death situation where a guy points a gun at you, you might not be mulling over the ethical consequences of beating the poo poo out of your would-be assailant.
If someone is willing to grab a killing weapon and repeatedly threaten to kill you with it, you can probably rationalize giving him a beating then and there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

One of my new kittens wrestles just like I do. He falls on his back and then flails around like a retard. The other one has a pretty slick top game though. Maintain that posture, little man.

Since we're posting fighting cats, check out this fukken sweet inverted guard

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Bohemian Nights posted:

After you've just gotten out of a life and death situation where a guy points a gun at you, you might not be mulling over the ethical consequences of beating the poo poo out of your would-be assailant.
If someone is willing to grab a killing weapon and repeatedly threaten to kill you with it, you can probably rationalize giving him a beating then and there.

That doesn't make it right or praiseworthy

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

niethan posted:

That doesn't make it right or praiseworthy

Maybe not, but it doesn't make the guy a piece of poo poo either.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i, too, feel bad when a guy stealing a car at gunpoint is cosmically rewarded for his lovely behavior

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

mewse posted:

i, too, feel bad when a guy stealing a car at gunpoint is cosmically rewarded for his lovely behavior

ya what the hell is wrong with anyone claiming this wasn't 100% A-OK. Unless the news is just not mentioning it, he didn't even do any real damage but bruises and cuts. I wish he'd double heel hooked the guy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

ya what the hell is wrong with anyone claiming this wasn't 100% A-OK. Unless the news is just not mentioning it, he didn't even do any real damage but bruises and cuts. I wish he'd double heel hooked the guy.

he got shot in the ankle with his own gun

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I think you should be allowed to shoot someone a lot, but only if they pull a gun on you and you Wrestle the gun into your own hands, and then you can shoot them.

mewse
May 2, 2006

james earl pwns posted:

I think you should be allowed to shoot someone a lot, but only if they pull a gun on you and you Wrestle the gun into your own hands, and then you can shoot them.

same

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

mewse posted:

he got shot in the ankle with his own gun

well... that is hardly the fault of the man punching him in the face now is it?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Lynch mobs are cool who gives a poo poo about due process that fucker had it coming, shoulda flushed the key when they had him in the first time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Are you honestly defending an armed robber taking a beating after threatening to kill someone?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

niethan posted:

Lynch mobs are cool who gives a poo poo about due process that fucker had it coming, shoulda flushed the key when they had him in the first time.

Yeah, there's no grey area between a lynch mob and a guy getting a bruised face after an attempted robbery. You're dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I agree, this is dumb. When you rob someone at gun point, you lose all rights to say : he fought me too hard, that's uncalled for!

• Locked thread