Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
And Sentinel wasn't really dominating vanilla to the degree that Wesker is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I still think the health nerf, while too extreme in the amount of health they took away, was warranted.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

kaujot posted:

I still think the health nerf, while too extreme in the amount of health they took away, was warranted.

I very strongly disagree, and would like to hear your reasoning why you think this.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Didn't we have enough pages arguing over this when it was actually relevant?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So when has Wesker being all over the place at one event, that being NEC, suddenly turned into Wesker dominating UMvC3?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Jmcrofts posted:

I very strongly disagree, and would like to hear your reasoning why you think this.

I just think he really had just about everything other than a tri-dash starting out, and it was too much. He had among the highest damage in the game, tied (or close to tied) for the best health, flight mode, a good wave dash, super armor, could OTG into a hyper by himself and loop it, etc. A health nerf was the least egregious nerf they could give him, even if they went too far with it, because it didn't really change the way you played him.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Jmcrofts posted:

No not really, sentinel was only a "no-brianer team choice" because it was still the first week of the game being out and people hadn't figured out how easy it is to play around him. Sentinel didn't need a nerf.

I'm not sure about that, honestly. Seeing him used in XF3 form with a couple bars and chipping characters to death on their way in... still frustrating. Giving him lower life, meaning more incentive to snap him in, is something that helps.

e: Wow, a lot of responses since I pressed reply. I guess my opinion is from a Fighter's point of view so you can disregard it. I'm also the kind of player who is afraid of Dorm so maybe that's rare.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
This doesn't really change the fact that sentinel has no real ways of opening characters up, and only easily gets hits when the opponent is just running head-first into him. His XF3 damage is/was way too high, but that's true for almost every character. He seemed really good right when the game came out because at that point people weren't really playing with matchups in mind, and were rushing him down like they would a non-super armor character.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Zaa Boogie posted:

So when has Wesker being all over the place at one event, that being NEC, suddenly turned into Wesker dominating UMvC3?

Wesker was already one of the best characters in the game, he got better, no new things were added or changed that are relevant to dealing with him.

Xfactor level 1 was a problem, everybody agreed, so it got nerfed and everybody was happy. Naturally Wesker was a crap character without that so he had to be given permenant Xfactor level 1.

It's not to do with him dominating one event, it's due to people having brains.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Plus, Sentinels get destroyed without much effort in the 90s cartoon, and I think we all know how important immersion is in Marvel.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Zaa Boogie posted:

You've got it backwards. Wesker was obviously dominant to anyone who played when the game came out, and then NEC proved it.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

kaujot posted:

Plus, Sentinels get destroyed without much effort in the 90s cartoon, and I think we all know how important immersion is in Marvel.

This was going to be my post.

I think one of the problems with Wesker is that he's so easy to use. Spiderman could probably dominate if a talented player really put in the time and effort to explore him. But why do that when you can just faceroll Wesker to victory?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Wolverine is still ridiculously good.

Wesker is terrifying in XF3, especially so with his glasses off, has one of the game's best assists, and probably has 50-100k too much health. He's not so bad (other than that ridiculous emo trenchcoat) when he's not in XF3. I hope the DLC Wesker costume is mandatory.

Sentinel is fine.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Capcom should let Iron Man, Morrigan, and Shuma Gorath and other characters with weird (bad) air dashes block during their air dash. So either you have a good pressure air dash or one you can actually block during. Capcom won't implement this I just thought I'd type it on the internet.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

One day I'll stop getting blown up so easily. One day...

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
I've been thinking about buying a stick or a fight pad myself; all I've got is the standard Sixaxis my PS3 came with, and it doesn't feel much more nimble to me than playing a fighting game on a PSP.

Are the joysticks as slow and cumbersome as they look? I grew up on pads and rarely went to arcades, and I always found playing Street Fighter on stick to be a chore.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

I've been thinking about buying a stick or a fight pad myself; all I've got is the standard Sixaxis my PS3 came with, and it doesn't feel much more nimble to me than playing a fighting game on a PSP.

Are the joysticks as slow and cumbersome as they look? I grew up on pads and rarely went to arcades, and I always found playing Street Fighter on stick to be a chore.

My best guess is that you won't like the transition. When you start on stick you will have to learn absolutely everything over again. You won't instantly be any better.

Since you already gave stick a shot with SF, and wasn't impressed, I'd recommend you get a fightpad if you want to try something else.

The PDP pad or the HORI Fighting Commander 3 Pro are good choices.

If you want to try stick again, go for it, but it will cost you ~100-175$ to find out.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

I had never played a fighter on pad or stick before mvc3, I played on pad for months and months, after I picked up a stick I felt like my game improved 400%. No longer did I find myself dropping inputs going in certain directions or accidentally thc'ing, stuff was fully under my control.

Cannot recommend a stick enough. So much did I prefer it that I now own two TE sticks, one for each console.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

As far as controllers go the PS3 pad is pretty good for fighting games. That being said people will generally prefer you have a wired controller at tournaments due to controllers attempting to sync to consoles where matches are taking place. In fact I think wireless pads are banned at EVO this year.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

40 OZ posted:

the HORI Fighting Commander 3 Pro are good choices.

Is the Dpad on the Hori softer than the DS3's? My thumb just plain hurts after playing for a couple of hours.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

This doesn't really change the fact that sentinel has no real ways of opening characters up

what makes you think that

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The KoRn Identity posted:

what makes you think that
...Blocking Sentinel is really easy?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Knowing Capcom, if they patch Wesker it will be to give him 100k less health and leave him otherwise completely unchanged.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Knowing Capcom, if they patch Wesker it will be to give him 100k less health and leave him otherwise completely unchanged.

Wesker's shades are now counterfeit.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
All I've got to say is:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Niddhogg posted:

All I've got to say is:

...doesn't apply to this circumstance - unless you are relating him to Sentinel, in which case be my guest - since Wesker has been a strong and dominant character since vanilla, and since there were no huge changes in this 10-month old engine we can say with relative security that he's extremely strong in UMvC3.

That and Iceman was considered bullshit for the first month or so until people realized he was actually pretty meh, like Sentinel.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Dias posted:

...doesn't apply to this circumstance - unless you are relating him to Sentinel, in which case be my guest - since Wesker has been a strong and dominant character since vanilla, and since there were no huge changes in this 10-month old engine we can say with relative security that he's extremely strong in UMvC3.

That and Iceman was considered bullshit for the first month or so until people realized he was actually pretty meh, like Sentinel.

9 months into mvc2 we were still on the guile/iceman/capcom train.

edit: apparently not!

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 6, 2011

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Niddhogg posted:

The top 3 at B4 was

1st: Duc Do (Spiral/Cable/Cyclops; Spiral/Cable/Blackheart)
2nd: Alex Valle (Strider/Doom/Commando; Ironman/Sentinel/Doom)
3rd: Image (Magneto/Cable/Cyclops)

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Brett824 posted:

The top 3 at B4 was

Okay so pretend I posted a big picture of Blackheart.

Also if you look at classic mvc2 footage to go along with those tournament results you'd see how differently that game was played at the time.

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 6, 2011

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Niddhogg posted:

Oh, fair enough then, I thought Iceman was a much shorter thing from what I read and heard. But do you really think Wesker, Phoenix and all that bullshit is the same thing? I mean, the metagame might change, but tricks and glitches get discovered a LOT faster nowadays because of the Internet, plus there's ten years of previous experiences with 3 on 3, assist fighters. Also, Wesker just has the basis of an extremely strong character with mixup setups, lots of mobility and damage, etc...

EDIT: well, Blackheart and Spiral would be better examples.

Dias fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 6, 2011

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Dias posted:

Oh, fair enough then, I thought Iceman was a much shorter thing from what I read and heard. But do you really think Wesker, Phoenix and all that bullshit is the same thing? I mean, the metagame might change, but tricks and glitches get discovered a LOT faster nowadays because of the Internet, plus there's ten years of previous experiences with 3 on 3, assist fighters. Also, Wesker just has the basis of an extremely strong character with mixup setups, lots of mobility and damage, etc...

I am by no means saying Wesker is bad, but I do think his overuse at NEC was more of a perfect storm of Wesker being relatively easy, being a character widely used in Vanilla, and a character that didn't get any significant nerfs so that no one who previously used him wanted to stop using him (as opposed to Magneto/Dante/Phoenix players). He wasnt unbeatable in Vanilla and he still isn't, so I think we'll see less of him as time goes on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really think they should go with the rumor I heard back when they first started talking about Ultimate Wesker. Give him a new special move, 236S, where he throws his sunglasses at the opponent, and if they hit he's powered up. Sort of a call back to Resident Evil 5...

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Brett824 posted:

The top 3 at B4 was

I just wanna say I really miss Spiral.

Also, two questions, one of which someone with the guide will have to answer. What are the properties of Bon Voyage? I played a Firebrand that did nothing but swoop, Bon voyage, mash out l to continue the combo, and I couldn't quite figure out how to shut it down (I ended up beating bullshit with bullshit by running hulk AA assist, and the guy wouldn't stop slamming into it.)

Second question, which of hulks normals have armor, and at what point (frame wise) does armor activate? I know s.H has it, but anything else, I literally have no idea. Any air normals?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Bon Voyage is just a normal attack, but it's safe on block if used mid-air. Assists are probably the best way to fight it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Niddhogg posted:

I am by no means saying Wesker is bad, but I do think his overuse at NEC was more of a perfect storm of Wesker being relatively easy, being a character widely used in Vanilla, and a character that didn't get any significant nerfs so that no one who previously used him wanted to stop using him (as opposed to Magneto/Dante/Phoenix players). He wasnt unbeatable in Vanilla and he still isn't, so I think we'll see less of him as time goes on.

Okay, I get what you mean. If the game stays around for a while - which is a vague possibility, to be honest -, I think we'll see some underused characters as of now jumping straight into top tier territory because of unexplored potential, while Wesker's tricks are gonna become standard stuff at high levels. The only reason why I'm not that sure about this is that he can get 100% combos so easily that other characters might seem like too much effort for too little reward.

As a segue, who do you people think has the potential to become very good in this game? S-Kill talks about Jill a lot and I dunno. Her ground game is really fuckin' strong, tho.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Boxman posted:

I just wanna say I really miss Spiral.

Also, two questions, one of which someone with the guide will have to answer. What are the properties of Bon Voyage? I played a Firebrand that did nothing but swoop, Bon voyage, mash out l to continue the combo, and I couldn't quite figure out how to shut it down (I ended up beating bullshit with bullshit by running hulk AA assist, and the guy wouldn't stop slamming into it.)

Second question, which of hulks normals have armor, and at what point (frame wise) does armor activate? I know s.H has it, but anything else, I literally have no idea. Any air normals?

Bon Voyage is a hitgrab, aka the animation is Firebrand coming in physical contact with the opponent but it still has all the properties of an actual hit, so it can be blocked and comboed into and stuff. The ground version is super unsafe but the air version is like +10 on block. The further from the wall the less damage you'll do, because although the damage of the move itself will go up the amount of hits goes even higher, so you get a net loss on combo damage afterwards because of scaling. It has a wallbounce but you can interrupt it with very specific assists (Mission 9 or 10 teaches you to do this). It doesn't have a particularly noteworthy hitbox (neither super big nor small) and it doesn't cross up, or hit high/low, or any other funky gimmicks like that.
edit: Wait, one last thing. He can combo into it from instant overhead j.L if he's in Luminous Body mode.

Hulk's s.M also has super armor from frames 3-15, and his new f+M command normal has super armor starting at frame 10, and it doesn't go away until he lets the move rip. No crouching or air normals with super armor.

Dr Slouch fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 6, 2011

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Medullah posted:

I really think they should go with the rumor I heard back when they first started talking about Ultimate Wesker. Give him a new special move, 236S, where he throws his sunglasses at the opponent, and if they hit he's powered up. Sort of a call back to Resident Evil 5...
I always thought Wesker was gonna have a sunglasses hit -> combo super like K' in KOF...

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Dias posted:

As a segue, who do you people think has the potential to become very good in this game? S-Kill talks about Jill a lot and I dunno. Her ground game is really fuckin' strong, tho.

Doctor Strange, Strider Hiryu, MODOK, Deadpool.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
No character in UMvC3 is as swag as K' though

Also Spiral would be cool, but wouldn't she be hurt by the widescreen nature of this game? I'm just saying Capcom probably wouldn't be able to do the character concept justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
It's pretty awesome that I can use Strider/Doom again except backwards.

• Locked thread