Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's a 2011-Wipe coming up.

Edit: Whoops!

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
He's got his usual Christmas special on the way.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Junkenstein posted:

There's a 2001-Wipe coming up.

Timely!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Any images or video of any man loving, willing or otherwise, a pig would already be illegal under Section 63 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 so all the mentions of "we've made it criminal from midnight" was just icing on the cake of things that didn't really make sense.

I don't think that starting with the punch line then adding another 40 mins really worked as an experiment in TV writing.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It reminded me of that stupid Execution of Gary Glitter drama they did a few years back.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I didn't love it. Did anyone else pick up that the news report being shown the first time they cut to the news is about an artist who's exhibition at the tate has been shut down as it is considered too vulgar?

I immediately texted my friend "So it was the artist from the news that kidnapped her?"

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Phoon posted:

I didn't love it. Did anyone else pick up that the news report being shown the first time they cut to the news is about an artist who's exhibition at the tate has been shut down as it is considered too vulgar?

I immediately texted my friend "So it was the artist from the news that kidnapped her?"

Well done you

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Phoon posted:

Because it was an obvious plot device.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Lorra lorra blinda data on Buzzcocks tonight. How awesome would it have been if they'd gotten Cilla on as a contestant while Adam Buxton was hosting?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

That's what I mean, it was entirely unsurprising.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The bit where the two janitors or whatever the gently caress they were in the hospital pointlessly explain dogme 95 was the worst bit of all.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's called edutainment look it up.
e: any one want to bet if Mongrels will be co-written by the Daily Mail again this week?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Cerv posted:

Any images or video of any man loving, willing or otherwise, a pig would already be illegal under Section 63 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 so all the mentions of "we've made it criminal from midnight" was just icing on the cake of things that didn't really make sense.

I don't think that starting with the punch line then adding another 40 mins really worked as an experiment in TV writing.

There's being a bit nitpicky about plot holes and then there's literally questioning the legislative accuracy of a single line of the show. I took the thing as it was clearly meant - a slightly caricatured exploration of the implications of new media on the reality TV generation - and enjoyed it, especially as it got seriously dark towards the end. It was a bit hamfisted at times, but that's sort of to be expected when you're doing stuff like this.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people are too used to your average drama nowadays that attempts to be gritty and realistic, and don't realise that this isn't really what Brooker's going for, as far as I can tell. Looking ahead, I think that while this was probably a good way to start, the futuristicy sci-fi ones coming up might have been better coming first, as it would get people used to the idea that this isn't really directly about us and our world, it's about a world kinda like ours with people kinda like us. It's not us, it's not our world - but it just about could be and, oooh, isn't that a bit chilling. Going "hurrr but you see that would already be illegal" and picking at other tiny holes like that rather misses the point.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 5, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

That wasn't the reason I didn't really like the programme. I just though it was interesting to note.

But while I'm being picky - it was more than a single line. After the first mention it was repeated in later scene.

edit: basically I agree with whoever said it was exactly like the Execution of Gary Glitter thing from last year, and I really hope the box where C4 keep the one line ideas for these dramas that they actually rejected is never opened.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 6, 2011

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Cerv posted:

basically I agree with whoever said it was exactly like the Execution of Gary Glitter thing from last year, and I really hope the box where C4 keep the one line ideas for these dramas that they actually rejected is never opened.

Yeah this, basically. I really do think it's brave of Brooker to make TV shows after years of just criticising, but it was all a bit confused and unconvincing. Trying to fit that much plot and that big cast of characters into an hour was never gonna be great.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
The worst thing is that Gary Glitter was arguably more contemplative than this was.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Cerv posted:

edit: basically I agree with whoever said it was exactly like the Execution of Gary Glitter thing from last year, and I really hope the box where C4 keep the one line ideas for these dramas that they actually rejected is never opened.

Didn't Brooker actually do a hatchet job on that show during Screenwipe once?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Jonnty posted:

Didn't Brooker actually do a hatchet job on that show during Screenwipe once?

Yeah, in the 2009 review of the year special.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Xbox live's getting a sexy upgrade

quote:

Dec. 6:
•LOVEFiLM. United Kingdom

Later in December:
•4 on Demand (C4). United Kingdom
•AlloCiné. France (AlloCiné), Germany (Filmstarts), Spain (Sensacine), United Kingdom (Screenrush)
•blinkbox (Blinkbox). United Kingdom
•Crackle (Sony Pictures). Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, United States
•Demand 5 (Five). United Kingdom
•MSN. Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, United Kingdom
•MUZU.TV. Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
•VEVO. Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, United States

Early 2012:
•BBC (BBC). United Kingdom
•MLB.TV (MLB Advanced Media). Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
•Telenovelas/Sports (Televisa). Brazil, Chile, Colombia, France, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom

It doesn't say, but I'm assuming everything will be in HD if that's already available.

And previously the BBC wouldn't release an iPlayer client because Microsoft insisted on everything being Gold subscribers only but the BBC wouldn't accept it not being free. So score one for the UK over the Yanks.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Why did you not highlight Channel 5?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So that'll be avaliable to everyone, not just gold subscribers? That's really great if that's the case.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

DaWolfey posted:

Because it is poo poo.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

mrfart posted:

I really don't think Brooker was trying to be funny.
And I feel the people who are saying he should do more screenwipe are the same people who would be saying he should try something new if he had done more screenwipe.
I'm sure he'll do something like screenwipe again. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying this.

I wasn't expecting it to be hilarious but I had assumed it was a satire. It was entertaining like perviously said.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

So that'll be avaliable to everyone, not just gold subscribers? That's really great if that's the case.

The iPlayer will be at the very least. Don't know about 4, 5 and Lovefilm though.

The BBC has been trying to get the iPlayer on the 360 for some time now, but Microsoft wouldn't let them do it unless it was a Gold exclusive.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

DaWolfey posted:

I get this this is a joke and a funny one.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Brown Moses posted:

iPlayer for everyone, 4oD, D5 and eventually ITV Player will be Gold only. And there will still be adverts on the non-iPlayer services too. Also expect all the services to look virtually identical since everyone had to build from the same reference app (and the same dev company built 4oD and D5 as well).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
My PS3 already has iplayer and 4OD. We watch the F1 on it cos it's hooked up to the big telly.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jollzwhin posted:

iPlayer for everyone, 4oD, D5 and eventually ITV Player will be Gold only. And there will still be adverts on the non-iPlayer services too. Also expect all the services to look virtually identical since everyone had to build from the same reference app (and the same dev company built 4oD and D5 as well).

So it's that project kangaroo thing that had to be shelved because Murdoch went crying to the Competition Commission

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

ibroxmassive posted:

So it's that project kangaroo thing that had to be shelved because Murdoch went crying to the Competition Commission

Nope. Project Kangaroo eventually became SeeSaw in a form (Arqiva the owners of SeeSaw bought up most of the assets), that closed a couple of months ago. The spiritual successor to Project Kangaroo is YouView which is (mostly) alive and well and a product of 7 shareholders (BBC, ITV, C4, C5, BT, TalkTalk, Arqiva) and will be hitting the shops some time early-middle next year (there is a fixed launch date but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been communicated externally yet).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cerv posted:

Because it is poo poo.

Paul Merton in [place] is the only good thing on channel 5. Ever.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Taear posted:

Paul Merton in [place] is the only good thing on channel 5. Ever.

The channel 5 "family" is great. Ever bored at 8pm or 9pm on a weeknight? CSI. All CSI all the time. CSICSICSI. Sometimes there's NCIS (CSI in the Navy) or Law and Order. It's not great telly, but it's entertaining and confortable. Also they play a lot of films, and sometimes the films are good.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing Lovefilm will be gold only as well. Any trip reports on it yet?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Channel 5 had The Shield. So it gets a pass for that alone.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Jimbola posted:

I'm guessing Lovefilm will be gold only as well. Any trip reports on it yet?

I just had a look for you but it isn't on the partner preview build so I can't tell. My understanding is everything except the iPlayer app requires Gold though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fatkraken posted:

The channel 5 "family" is great. Ever bored at 8pm or 9pm on a weeknight? CSI. All CSI all the time. CSICSICSI. Sometimes there's NCIS (CSI in the Navy) or Law and Order. It's not great telly, but it's entertaining and confortable. Also they play a lot of films, and sometimes the films are good.

Wait, NCIS is a US Navy thing? But I've seen bits channel surfing. It just looks generic as hell.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

My gran thought Gary Glitter had really been executed. Granted, she was a lady who thanked BT's 1471 automated voice every time she used it but I still wonder how many gullible people are still taken in by poo poo like that because it's on telly.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wait, NCIS is a US Navy thing? But I've seen bits channel surfing. It just looks generic as hell.

Yep, they investigate Navy crimes, like fake identities on a submarine. It's generic, fascist and every character is a grotesque, including a bow-tie wearing Englishman called Ducky, a full goth and a mossad agent they have to stop from torturing every witness. Even their dull guy is weird because he is so impossibly dull.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

sex pervert posted:

My gran thought Gary Glitter had really been executed. Granted, she was a lady who thanked BT's 1471 lady every time she used it but I still wonder how many gullible people are taken in by poo poo like that because it's on telly.

I was going to say not many but then I remembered all the actors who play wife beaters on soaps get attacked in the street for things their characters have done so more people than you would think I guess.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I was going to say not many but then I remembered all the actors who play wife beaters on soaps get attacked in the street for things their characters have done so more people than you would think I guess.

Another scary phenomenon, yeah. Interestingly when she was talking about it, even she thought they'd gone too far and suggested they should have just put him on an island with a bunch of other nonces instead. Good thing Channel 4 never caught wind of any of her ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Nonce Island sounds like a Channel 5 reality show.