Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chairman Capone posted:

He wanted to be a Jedi, but couldn't use the Force, so he decided to kill the Jedi instead and augment himself with robotics to compensate. A bit abbreviated but according to the Clone Wars writing staff that was Lucas' official Grievous backstory.

That's actually MORE interesting than his current incarnation, which turned out to be some warrior killed/used by Dooku.

Yet another great idea Lucas had but didn't follow through on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

A Curved Phallus posted:

The character the entire Old Republic timeline revolves around doesn't die in a 4 man mid level instance. It's an imposter, and that's not HK-57. You get him as a companion on Ilum.

The fallen Jedi that's been keeping the Sith Emperor at bay for decades decided to retire and run a little droid factory with a trusty assassin droid, makes perfect sense.

I was honestly a little pissed till i read this. It would make no sense what so ever to have Reven of all people killed in low level instance. Hell that would be like a bunch of lv 20s killing thrall.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

As far as I can tell, the SOLE reason the Revan book was published (spoilers for The Old Republic game): there's a side quest where you show up and fight Revan and HK-47 who are running a HK-47 factory. No matter what options you take, you end up having to fight and kill them both. Also it has very little to do with the main game plot and Revan himself only vaguely alludes to the events of KOTOR and the Revan book anyway. So I'm not really sure why they would even want to ruin one of their flagship characters like that. Also, Revan's voice and appearance are kind of dumb.

Again, TOR spoiler but if you want to see the scene in question, it's been put on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z87khulxkA&feature=related

NOOOoooooOOOOOOooooo. Seriously...why?

I can't understand any of this. It makes no sense. KotOR one had a pretty cool backstory for the player characer, KotOR 2 had such a good story that turned Revan into a very complex character, it set up all this hidden Sith Empire stuff and gave us a new and interesting look at force techniques. And now this... The Exile gets one of the worst Star-Warsey names ever and is killed after acting like an idiot with no exceptional qualities, and all of the stuff that made Revan great is ignored. And...

I'm preaching to the choir, right? But goddamn. I just want to take a huge poo poo in a clown shoe and throw it at Drew Karpyshyn.

A Curved Phallus posted:

The character the entire Old Republic timeline revolves around doesn't die in a 4 man mid level instance. It's an imposter, and that's not HK-57. You get him as a companion on Ilum.

The fallen Jedi that's been keeping the Sith Emperor at bay for decades decided to retire and run a little droid factory with a trusty assassin droid, makes perfect sense.

I don't care if this is true or not. It is my personal cannon. You know what? P-Cannon has a nice ring to it.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 5, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I would actually like Karpyshyn a lot better if this was his doing, because I hate both Old Republic settings THAT MUCH.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

arioch posted:

I would actually like Karpyshyn a lot better if this was his doing, because I hate both Old Republic settings THAT MUCH.

I don't want to come off a dick here, but I'm actually curious: do you like anything about Star Wars? Because I'm honestly trying to remember you liking any EU thing that's been talked about here. Not that that isn't valid of course, I'm just curious.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In advance to everyone bringing the thread down by defending or attacking the EU in the next few pages, please don't.

Listen to Christmas In The Stars instead and watch the Holiday Special. Drunk.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

As far as I can tell, the SOLE reason the Revan book was published (spoilers for The Old Republic game): there's a side quest where you show up and fight Revan and HK-47 who are running a HK-47 factory. No matter what options you take, you end up having to fight and kill them both. Also it has very little to do with the main game plot and Revan himself only vaguely alludes to the events of KOTOR and the Revan book anyway. So I'm not really sure why they would even want to ruin one of their flagship characters like that. Also, Revan's voice and appearance are kind of dumb.

Again, TOR spoiler but if you want to see the scene in question, it's been put on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z87khulxkA&feature=related

This is one of those moments where I feel like I should stop paying attention to new Star Wars news. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Take what may be the coolest piece of the EU to come out in the last decade, and stomp all over it. drat it.

A Curved Phallus posted:

Like Carnaticum said, even if this isn't true, this is now my P-Canon.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Speaking of Revan, I just got the audio book and am looking forward to it. I'm about an hour and a half in and am enjoying it so far. Of course, it being the Star Wars EU, there are a few things I've rolled my eyes at.

thrawn527 posted:

This is one of those moments where I feel like I should stop paying attention to new Star Wars news. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Take what may be the coolest piece of the EU to come out in the last decade, and stomp all over it. drat it.

Like Carnaticum said, even if this isn't true, this is now my P-Canon.

I've seen it said before that It's not actually Revan but an imposter. I could be wrong, though.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Pope Mobile posted:

I've seen it said before that It's not actually Revan but an imposter. I could be wrong, though.

I heard this too but taking into account the video of you freeing him in a light-side quest I don't see how this could be.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
The book was more of a set up for Lord Scourge in SWTOR who (SWTOR spoilers) you get as the final companion for the Jedi Knight.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Bah, that's not Revan. She was a woman when I played the game!

It's this kind of thing that proves other creative teams should never do "many decades later" cameos with established heroes, because they always end up portrayed as worthless failures outshone by their new and shiny replacements. James T Kirk, Michael Knight, Jim Phelps...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mister Roboto posted:

That's actually MORE interesting than his current incarnation, which turned out to be some warrior killed/used by Dooku.

Yet another great idea Lucas had but didn't follow through on.

He stole that backstory from The Incredibles.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't want to come off a dick here, but I'm actually curious: do you like anything about Star Wars?

I had this discussion with somebody over IRC the other day and the conclusion is: apparently not (anymore). What "Star Wars" encompasses nowadays is completely different from and ruinous to "Star Wars" of yesteryear.

quote:

Because I'm honestly trying to remember you liking any EU thing that's been talked about here. Not that that isn't valid of course, I'm just curious.

X-Wing series. Heir to the Empire series. I was mostly positive on NJO before DN/LotF and so on wrecked what I was personally able to salvage from the mess that was NJO. Matt Stover is a favorite of mine. Etc.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

In advance to everyone bringing the thread down by defending or attacking the EU in the next few pages, please don't.

Listen to Christmas In The Stars instead and watch the Holiday Special. Drunk.

You know, I actually enjoyed the Holiday Special with the Rifftrax. Of course the booze and weed helped but I was entertained, dammit.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Carnaticum posted:

P-Cannon has a nice ring to it.

It's the only way to be a Star Wars fan and maintain any semblance of sanity.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Someone asked me the other day if I liked Star Wars and the first thing that popped into my head was that drat horse head x-wing pilot.

Before when I thought of Star Wars I thought of Darth Vader, light sabers, and Boba Fett. Now it's Jar Jar, The Glove of Darth Vader, and that picture of Han punching a human sized ferret.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
For me it's robot Leia's laser eyes and that dude with 3 eyes.

:smithicide:

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 6, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He stole that backstory from The Incredibles.

That's not exactly a world-shaking statement, he stole Episode 4 from Samurai movies and WW2 movies.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Calliper posted:

Someone asked me the other day if I liked Star Wars and the first thing that popped into my head was that drat horse head x-wing pilot.

Any second now Jerk McJerkface is gonna pop in here...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mister Roboto posted:

That's not exactly a world-shaking statement, he stole Episode 4 from Samurai movies and WW2 movies.

The original script was literally "The hidden fortress" IN SPACE. But it went through a lot of changes and is just inspired by it in the end product, hardly stolen. A secret history of Star Wars is a great read. I had heard it was a rip off of Hidden fortress, but its a lot deeper then that. The WW2 footage was from movies and he took scenes and spliced them, its not a stolen sequence. Though the idea of the trench run was from a movie where the bombers needed to blow up a dam to flood a key base. So again inspired and not stolen.

I know your being hyperbolas but still, credit where credit is due.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Calliper posted:

Before when I thought of Star Wars I thought of Darth Vader, light sabers, and Boba Fett. Now it's Jar Jar, The Glove of Darth Vader, and that picture of Han punching a human sized ferret.

My ex-girlfriend also told me he hosed one of those space otters and in the process found out he was highly allergic to them.

For me Star Wars is now the hermit guy from the Ewok movies and the man getting shot by the Hutt. You know a setting has gone to poo poo when the illustrated character looks disappointed in the writing.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Razorwired posted:

My ex-girlfriend also told me he hosed one of those space otters and in the process found out he was highly allergic to them.

That was actually Corran Horn.

Makes you wonder about Michael stackpole though...

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

There's a few inter-species relationships in Stackpole's books. Also a that relationship with Iella and her husband where he's meant to be really old.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Any second now Jerk McJerkface is gonna pop in here...

Lock S-foils in attack position.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Chosen One!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I really need to develop some horse based Star Wars puns:

MEEEEIGH THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

:facepalm:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Nay! That's not true! That's impossible!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I really need to develop some horse based Star Wars puns:

MEEEEIGH THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

:facepalm:

Mount the Force be with you.

Now that horses have been mentioned: Why don't Jedi knights have horses? Horses are at least 1/4 of what makes a knight a knight, the other parts being: moral code, sword, shiny armor. The Jedi have 2 out of four, which isn't bad I guess. But seriously, why not horses?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Horses are pretty cool, but spaceships are cooler. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

For me it's robot Leia's laser eyes and that dude with 3 eyes.

:smithicide:

He just wanted to find love after his captain Planet villain-esqe plots were foiled. He sort of did. Until he got lasered in the chest.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SeanBeansShako posted:

He just wanted to find love after his captain Planet villain-esqe plots were foiled. He sort of did. Until he got lasered in the chest.

By robot Leia. This is an important detail.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

By robot Leia. This is an important detail.

Star Wars heroes don't gently caress about when it comes to environmentalism . Unless you are a space ant.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Now that horses have been mentioned: Why don't Jedi knights have horses? Horses are at least 1/4 of what makes a knight a knight, the other parts being: moral code, sword, shiny armor. The Jedi have 2 out of four, which isn't bad I guess. But seriously, why not horses?

Well Luke had his Tauntaun in ESB, and Obi Wan that stupid lizard thing in ROTS. I'd say they count as space horses.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Austen Tassletine posted:

Well Luke had his Tauntaun in ESB, and Obi Wan that stupid lizard thing in ROTS. I'd say they count as space horses.

But both died horribly :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

But both died horribly :(

Or did they?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Phylodox posted:

Or did they?

Can't follow link from work. Death Star plans?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Or did they?

I guess every once in a while a stupid EU thing has to actually be true so that it stays funny when people post fake links to otherworldy stuff on Wookipedia. I still wish this hadn't been one of those times though.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Phylodox posted:

Or did they?
Oh my god

quote:

In the Star Wars Head to Head book, it is proven by experts that, in a case of Boga vs. the Acklay, Boga wins because she is smarter, more loyal, and able to outmaneuver the fast acklay.
And from there:

quote:

Acklays could be Force-sensitive, although this was extremely rare. Such creatures could teach themselves to use the Force and could fire Force lightning from their mouths.[4]
starwars.txt

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Isn't there a wampa jedi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calliper posted:

Isn't there a wampa jedi?

I don't think there was a Jedi, no...however:

Ku-Kak, the Force sensitive Wampa who owned a lightsaber.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 6, 2011