Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I've also noticed that criticism levied at Gamzee is pretty rare. This also is probably due to his popularity/the popularity of Gamzee/Tavros on tumblr.

I read that post and find it really funny that someone calling genocide "mental illness" is treated more seriously then the act of the genocide itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I was always kind of neutral about Feferi, though compared to the other trolls she goes into the "potential to be interesting and not completely obnoxious" bin. I liked her more than Tavros (who I almost cheered when he died) who seems to be a favourite in some parts of the fandom? Well and hated elsewhere, likely.

I tend to ignore the social justice people on tumblr and just look at pretty pictures. Too many people on there that will jump down your throat for calling a transperson the wrong name when the person in question doesn't give a poo poo.

I wonder what they think of the blind gags with Terezi and/or Sollux. I have to admit the part in the Cascade was very funny when Terezi was pointing Sollux in the wrong direction and Karkat corrected her. Wonder if any SJ people got their panties in a knot over that.

EDIT: Am I weird for NOT liking any of the male trolls except for Karkat (and sometimes pre-blinding Sollux)? Gamzee is kind of funny, but blah. The female trolls seem to have so much more personality.

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 6, 2011

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I, for one, love all twelve of the little alien children with highly individualized personality disorders.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I, for one, love all twelve of the little alien children with highly individualized personality disorders.
Yeah me too. I mean sure some are definitely above the others but I think they are all fun!

Strangely the only character in the comic I really don't care about all that much is Rose.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jesoteric posted:

Did anyone see that tumblr post about Feferi being ableist because she said retarded? There was a bunch of wank about it.

I am all for people not saying rude things but I guess tumblr sort of frustrates me in that they take everything ever as being oppressive, and I feel like that takes away from some very important things when it's applied to everything! :( Especially when they dissect a work to this point to try to say it is being offensive.

I guess I'm also baffled that so many people seem to really dislike Feferi, when she seemed one of the saner trolls from what we saw of her. Yes, she had flaws, but so did everyone else and that's sort of the point.

What the gently caress. Okay, granted, let's concede that maybe we shouldn't throw the word "retard" around quite so much. By all means feel free to call Andrew Hussie out on this. But what the flying gently caress is the point of singling out a fictional character cherry-picked from a story liberally sprinkled with R-bombs? According to a quick Ctrl+F check, the list of Homestuck characters that use "retard" as a pejorative includes John (!!!), Dave, Sollux, Karkat, Terezi, and Vriska.

But no, apparently "retard" is only hurtful from the mouths of a ~shallow whore~ like Feferi.

Android Blues posted:

This died off a lot after Eridan killed Feferi and Kanaya, and now his popularity is more a celebration of how douchey and pathetic he is. Prior to that though there were a lot of fairly diehard Eridan fans who thought Feferi was seriously in the wrong in their little plot in Hivebent.

I still see a lot of EridanxFeferi when trawling for fanart. It's depressing when I spot a really well drawn pic and then I look at it more closely and it's ghost Feferi begging forgiveness from Eridan :negative:

Nate RFB posted:

Strangely the only character in the comic I really don't care about all that much is Rose.

let me tumblr about why this makes you a terrible bigot

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 6, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gamzee's just a joke character who killed other joke characters, and besides playing around with Horrorstuck for a while he doesn't really matter much. He's lacking in development so there's not even that much character there to criticize, like, or dislike. About the only discussion you can have about him now is whether it'd be nice to actually see the other trolls' reasons for not killing him. I'm comfortable with "doesn't serve much narrative purpose so the trolls can be assumed to be too exhausted and wary of how powerful he is to do anything while Karkat seems to have him under control" and Hussie doesn't actually have to show it for it to be implied.

Eridan's really on the same level as Gamzee in terms of character importance and depth, and he just ran out of reasons to exist. That Eridan died but Gamzee lived isn't really meant to say that much, it could've just as easily been the other way around. The plot just happened to flow better this way (Eridan without Feferi is even more superflous, Kanaya needed something to do, and Gamzee had some decent interactions left in him with Karkat) rather than anything to do with karma.

Actually I do wonder if Eridan had lived and Gamzee had died whether people would be angrier, since Gamzee's almost too flat to blame him for anything while Eridan does seem to prompt a little more contempt. Then again manic support for Eridan is a popular troll on other sites (taking every hint as a possible sign of Eridan's escape from the dream bubbles, promoting the "Eridan's going to be killing the horror-terrors" theory, etc).

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Pre-KO Sollux had THE MOST annoying typing quirk, but the only troll I found absolutely no redeeming qualities in was Eridan. The only conversation with him in it I liked was in Karkat's memo about the various ongoing murderous rampages, but even there Past Gamzee's contribution outshone his.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

I was always kind of neutral about Feferi, though compared to the other trolls she goes into the "potential to be interesting and not completely obnoxious" bin. I liked her more than Tavros (who I almost cheered when he died) who seems to be a favourite in some parts of the fandom? Well and hated elsewhere, likely.

I tend to ignore the social justice people on tumblr and just look at pretty pictures. Too many people on there that will jump down your throat for calling a transperson the wrong name when the person in question doesn't give a poo poo.

I wonder what they think of the blind gags with Terezi and/or Sollux. I have to admit the part in the Cascade was very funny when Terezi was pointing Sollux in the wrong direction and Karkat corrected her. Wonder if any SJ people got their panties in a knot over that.

EDIT: Am I weird for NOT liking any of the male trolls except for Karkat (and sometimes pre-blinding Sollux)? Gamzee is kind of funny, but blah. The female trolls seem to have so much more personality.

The male trolls bar Karkat are generally more one-note joke characters while the female trolls are largely developed characters with plot significance. Gamzee, Equius and Eridan are flat-out silly jokes while Tavros and Sollux are background characters with a little depth but no great significance to the plot - meanwhile it's only Nepeta and Feferi in the entire female troll contingent who aren't strongly developed and often central to the narrative.

Re: the rest of the post, I think social justice is important but people on tumblr often do get het up unduly, yeah. (That crazy rant about Kanaya's death being anti-gay and anti-woman springs to mind). That's not to say you couldn't find actual social justice issues in Homestuck if you looked!

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 6, 2011

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The way I saw Feferi was that she was a troll that filled a nitch: the nitch of being a troll who wasn't blood thirsty, mean spirited, or completely batshit insane. In fact, she was pretty much the opposite, and was pretty likeable because of it. The problem is that there were two other trolls that filled that nitch: Kanaya, a major character, and Nepeta, a minor character with a huge fanbase. Nothing she did really stuck out, so she was really forgettable. Now we're seeing with the ancestors she had the potential to become really crazy, but we would never reach that point in Homestuck, so it's off to the chopping block for her!

I liked her more than Tavros, but that's not a high bar to hit.

Jesoteric
Apr 4, 2010

JAssassin posted:

The way I saw Feferi was that she was a troll that filled a nitch: the nitch of being a troll who wasn't blood thirsty, mean spirited, or completely batshit insane. In fact, she was pretty much the opposite, and was pretty likeable because of it. The problem is that there were two other trolls that filled that nitch: Kanaya, a major character, and Nepeta, a minor character with a huge fanbase.

While nicer by troll standards, Kanaya and Nepeta could still be considered bloodthirsty. Nepeta killed animals with her hands and then skinned them/used their blood as paint. Kanaya chainsawed Eridan in half.

I love them both, but they were still trolls at heart! Which isn't a bad thing, considering the stuff they have to fight against, it's better if they're willing to be violent if they have to be.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Jesoteric posted:

Kanaya chainsawed Eridan in half.

Though that was only after she literally turned bloodthirsty.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Feferi was awesome. The saddest update was when she died :(. And then Kanaya. It was a sad few days.

pkmnfrk
Dec 24, 2010

Chester Hjorvarth
Victorious this day
3-7-2011

Dolash posted:

Gamzee's ... the other trolls' reasons for not killing him.

I'm going to say that there's three reasons:

1. He is the strongest non-god-tier member of the party, and likely is more than capable of handling everyone else at once.

2. His heritage, upbringing and social expectations basically demanded that he flip the gently caress out and kill everyone, so why would you suddenly become upset or surprised when it finally happens?

3. Considering #1, having such a character on your side under the control of someone who is several orders of magnitude less dangerous is better than having him as your enemy and also you being dead.

Seems pretty clear to me!

e: I am doing very bad things to punctuation tonight...

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Feferis was cool. I just really hated her typing quirk. I like that despite being the "nice" troll she still burned Vriska. Burned her hard. And revoking Eridan's fish pun rights was a nice moment. Shame it was her last :(

KoB
May 1, 2009

Jesoteric posted:

While nicer by troll standards, Kanaya and Nepeta could still be considered bloodthirsty. Nepeta killed animals with her hands and then skinned them/used their blood as paint. Kanaya chainsawed Eridan in half.

I love them both, but they were still trolls at heart! Which isn't a bad thing, considering the stuff they have to fight against, it's better if they're willing to be violent if they have to be.

Kanaya sawed him in half after he blew a hole in her stomach. Its already justified before you go to Troll-bloodthirstyness. Also Fef killed giant monsters/Lusii to feed her genocidal horrorterror.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I haven't been generally bothered by it, but the Hero of Life one :stare:
It looks like an entirely different color rather than just being a little off.

The hoodies are the color of the shirt and the tees are the color of the hood/pants.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

KoB posted:

Kanaya sawed him in half after he blew a hole in her stomach. Its already justified before you go to Troll-bloodthirstyness. Also Fef killed giant monsters/Lusii to feed her genocidal horrorterror.

Well actually Eridan killed giant monsters/Lusii so Fef could feed her genocidal horrorterror.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Astro Ambulance posted:

The hoodies are the color of the shirt and the tees are the color of the hood/pants.

That only really held up for the first two, though--the Time/Space tees look to be pretty much the same shade. I think that may have just been a convenient excuse for different color availability when the first ones rolled out.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Who wants to buy Hussie's old tablet?

(legitimate)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jyrraeth posted:

Social justice people live on the internet, and there are no blind people here to tell them about the higher vistas of moral highground they can reach by being snippy about blind jokes.

Well, there are, but they're too busy trying to get their viewing impaired web browsing apparati to work with an internet that could scarcely give less of a poo poo about the viewing impaired to complain about webcomics.

Poor blind people, whose only crime was being afflicted with a condition that we find so hilarious we temporarily inflict it on each other as a party game.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Jyrraeth posted:

Man, blind jokes are always hilarious, that's why Toph was the best character in Avatar. And why it's always funny in Mini Marvels when Daredevil is looking in the opposite direction to the action.

I'm kinda ambivalent on the male trolls too, though I think Karkat may be my favourite character in the whole comic, the others are kinda one dimensional.

As for Feferi... it seems like her only real purpose in the plot is going to be to provide a contrast to the Condence, who is genetically identical but personality wise appears to be totally different.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Social justice is pretty important, but people clearly do take it waaaay too far sometimes if the Homestuck fandom has showed me anything. It's one thing to be offended by something racist or bigoted in some other form, it's another thing to contrive an elaborate situation to explain why something maybe, can be, sorta, somehow, possibly be seen as offensive.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jane that's a perfectly good hat why are you throwing it away pick it up right this instant.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
That's quite possibly the most intense hat throwdown I've ever seen.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Jane no your disguise!!

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 6, 2011

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Well she's busted for sure now, she lost her mustache.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

That rabbit is in for it now. The inspector is out, Jane is back in town.

Jesoteric
Apr 4, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Social justice is pretty important, but people clearly do take it waaaay too far sometimes if the Homestuck fandom has showed me anything. It's one thing to be offended by something racist or bigoted in some other form, it's another thing to contrive an elaborate situation to explain why something maybe, can be, sorta, somehow, possibly be seen as offensive.

I agree! I am pretty big on the civil rights stuff but maaaan...sometimes people stretch things.

In more pressing news,

JANE THERE GOES YOUR MUSTACHE! NOW YOUR COVER'S BLOWN! (beaten by like two people oh well I am original)

Gizmotinker
Oct 31, 2011

WILL COACH 4 RARES

Great at giving unsolicited bad advice in the Dota2 thread without having a public profile! You see, it's his shitty teammates that hold him back; he wouldn't want you thinking it's him.

His posts make it sound like he's playing a different game. Seriously.
When looking at the overcoat of Lord English and hoodies I had a thought. An unsettling one. What if the implication that Jane is the hero of life is a curveball?

Hear me out. This is the overcoat. Look at the colours on one side and other. Red, blue, black and orange. The colours of our Kid's Godtiers.

What if the colours on the other side are our new Kid's Godtiers. Green, burgundy, yellow and purple. Go look at the hoodies. Mind is green and Heart is burgundy. That leaves us with yellow and purple. One of those is Hope. Life and Void hoodies are out.

More importantly, out of all the roles that we know so far, we are left with Blood, Rage, and Doom.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The problem with that theory is that the image of the overcoat in the comic is a gif and cycles through all the colors.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Has anyone else noticed that in Cascade, Dave is the only one of the kids who doesn't appear in the Fourth Wall? Everyone else gets panels from their introduction sequence and some parts of Act 5. But no Dave.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

YggiDee posted:

Has anyone else noticed that in Cascade, Dave is the only one of the kids who doesn't appear in the Fourth Wall? Everyone else gets panels from their introduction sequence and some parts of Act 5. But no Dave.

For once I'm comfortable saying "That's probably just an irrelevant coincidence" about something in Homestuck.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

YggiDee posted:

One of the Tumblr "theories" (read: empty speculation) going around was that there was no Post-Scratch!Dave and Bro was on his own. Obviously that's been shot down. Still wouldn't surprise me if there were some broader implications though.

Gizmotinker
Oct 31, 2011

WILL COACH 4 RARES

Great at giving unsolicited bad advice in the Dota2 thread without having a public profile! You see, it's his shitty teammates that hold him back; he wouldn't want you thinking it's him.

His posts make it sound like he's playing a different game. Seriously.

JAssassin posted:

The problem with that theory is that the image of the overcoat in the comic is a gif and cycles through all the colors.

All the colors of billiard balls. Of which there are only 8. The ones I mentioned.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

JAssassin posted:

Not only that, but those are specifically billiards colors bro!

When there is something to be analyzed as "oh hey this might be important", it is going to be something that actually makes sense, and Hussie usually spells it out anyway.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Andrew usually sticks by the exact representative colours of things once he's chosen them (exact as in down to the precise RGB value). Comparing the god-tier colours (which are defined on the chart gif in the shop) to the billiard colours doesn't really line up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dolash posted:

For once I'm comfortable saying "That's probably just an irrelevant coincidence" about something in Homestuck.

I didn't get where I am in life by acknowledging the possibility of coincidences! :colbert:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
The echeladder is back. :allears:

vv Not the exact same thing, but a hilariously appropriate typo! :v:

Walliard fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 6, 2011

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Looks like the echoladder is back! :allears:

Edit: how the hell did I type the same thing as the guy above me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I've missed the echeladder jokes. The next level on the ladder is kind of ominous, though. It could just mean she has no genetic parent thanks to weird ectobiology poo poo, but it could also mean Not Good Things for Dad. :ohdear: