Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

I've seen a couple of refs lament players changing off-sides, but I don't understand why. Nowhere that I can find in USA Hockey rules does it say players can't enter the ice in the attacking zone. Obviously, they may be off-side, but as long as they tag up, it's a non-issue. N'est pas?

Is this just a preference?

It's not a rule per se, it's just kind of something to think about.

As far as I go, it's because as a ref, to call an offsides or not, I need to hold and watch the blue line. It's really difficult to watch a dude coming out of the door in the offensive zone to make sure he tags up at the same time I'm trying to watch the line to see if someone's bringing the puck across if I'm on the same side as the bench. It's a field of vision thing - forcing myself to be able to see both of those things will limit how much of the rest of the play I can see and perhaps I will miss something in the neutral zone.... ;)

Plus as a forward, IMO you want to be getting on the ice as your team is taking it into your zone, so being offsides when someone's trying to bring the puck down will stop their momentum in some way shape or form..

If the puck is already in your zone go wild, but when it isn't it really seems like the best bet is going to be coming over the boards in the neutral zone.

xzzy posted:

See, I never would have thought you could get called for a hook at ice level. Always figured it had to be at their knees or higher, which is how it usually goes in the NHL.

Stick lifts still make me nervous because I don't want to stab someone in the face, but I'll try to remember it and give it an effort.

Actually the official USA Hockey rulebook (in the casebook - standard of play section, pages 351-352) has a couple of expanded examples of stick checking that are allowed or not allowed - you are correct, the angle of the blade does not matter down at the ice as long as "the intended purpose is to dislodge the puck or prevent the opponent from playing the puck."

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

So there's 60 adults out on the ice in warmups with just gloves and helmets and sticks. No one bothers to skate full gear because hey, we all know what we're doing and it's just some light demos, nothing crazy.

It's also nothing crazy when you're coaching mites but watch how many times you'll skate without at least officials shin pads and a cup on.

The little ones have a remarkable ability to exploit your padding weaknesses.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Are there any Pittsburgh goons here? I'm trying to join a team and I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Are there any sites that people go on or anything? Basically I just go to pickup because that was all I had time for, but since I'm probably not going back to school next semester, I should have more free time (gonna get a job obviously but still, it'd be more regular than projects for 4 CS classes)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sba posted:

I still haven't even started playing since I moved here. I need new skates and pants, my car poo poo itself after I got here and I just dished out $1500 for a down payment, so I haven't had the expendable income. Hopefully after this month goes by I can get out to Xport and hook myself up and get out there again. I'm sick of just watching my SO play...and she's probably sick of me giving NHL analysis on every game or practice I go to.

You looking for goalie gear or skater gear? I have pretty much a full set of extra skater gear that you can have if it fits. Most of it is medium or large I believe...

Dangerllama posted:

My favorite is the stick lift.

Stick lift is my favorite. Never leave home with out it. There's nothing more satisfying than skating up behind someone as a pass is coming in, popping their stick up and taking off in the other direction with the puck.

I love it because I hate it when defenders do it to me in front of the net.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 6, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

Are there any Pittsburgh goons here? I'm trying to join a team and I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Are there any sites that people go on or anything? Basically I just go to pickup because that was all I had time for, but since I'm probably not going back to school next semester, I should have more free time (gonna get a job obviously but still, it'd be more regular than projects for 4 CS classes)

What rinks are you close to?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

What rinks are you close to?

I'm in Penn Hills so technically Bladerunners in Harmarville, but I usually go out to one of the rinks in the South Hills for pick up and stick time since it takes like 30-45 minutes to get there and there's way more people.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

I'm in Penn Hills so technically Bladerunners in Harmarville, but I usually go out to one of the rinks in the South Hills for pick up and stick time since it takes like 30-45 minutes to get there and there's way more people.

I used to play there with a group at Harmarville that had a weekly pickup, but they switched to North Park's outdoor rink for the winter. Both of those are like 45 min drives for me so I mainly play at Bladerunners in Cranberry or at RMU/Neville Island.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Look Around You posted:

I played at Harmarville Bladerunners for a couple of years growing up. If they kept our PAHL championship banners up, my name is probably on the wall there a couple of times. :)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

dms666 posted:

I used to play there with a group at Harmarville that had a weekly pickup, but they switched to North Park's outdoor rink for the winter. Both of those are like 45 min drives for me so I mainly play at Bladerunners in Cranberry or at RMU/Neville Island.
I skated at North Park's outdoor rink last year and was impressed that the ice was honestly better than our rink down here in FL.

Plus there's something inherently awesome about skating outside while it's snowing.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

real_scud posted:

I skated at North Park's outdoor rink last year and was impressed that the ice was honestly better than our rink down here in FL.

Plus there's something inherently awesome about skating outside while it's snowing.

I'll have to go give it a try then, havent been able to make it since they started

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I like to stand behind a guy who thinks he's wide open in the slot and stick lift him a thousand times until he gets flustered. I stick lift people all the time just because it seems to make them play stupid, even if the puck isn't near them. I don't know how you can be worried about hitting a guy in the face, you dont lift it that high, you just take your stick and throw it upwards, like waist height.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well, some people try to stick lift when the other player's stick is already at waist level. That's where the high stick becomes a concern.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Well, some people try to stick lift when the other player's stick is already at waist level. That's where the high stick becomes a concern.
The question is, why the hell would you do this?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's no reason to!

I see retards do stuff like this in dek hockey, with no helmets or padding other than shin guards.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Doctor Butts posted:

There's no reason to!

I see retards do stuff like this in dek hockey, with no helmets or padding other than shin guards.

I don't think I've ever seen someone do that on ice. It'd be silly. The only trouble you can get into stick lifting really is every now and then when im doing it the guy will twist and then fall down so it looks like I hooked him

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
One of the first things you (should) learn is be strong on your stick always. It's nice to come up behind someone who is standing in front of the net and just whack the stick out of their hands.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
If someone tries a stick lift and misses they have the potential to put too much force behind it and raise their stick higher than expected, since the "waist high" judgement is made with the expectation of encountering the resistance of the other stick. Seen it happen plenty of times. If it's a quick play, the stick lifter often won't have time to compensate for the miss.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just a question of experience. I watch NHL games and see dudes get sticks in the face all the time, so little newbie me is worried about loving it up.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Green Submarine posted:

If someone tries a stick lift and misses they have the potential to put too much force behind it and raise their stick higher than expected, since the "waist high" judgement is made with the expectation of encountering the resistance of the other stick. Seen it happen plenty of times. If it's a quick play, the stick lifter often won't have time to compensate for the miss.

I dunno how other guys do it but I don't whack the stick, I push it up. I put my stick under theirs, make contact and pull it up. You can't 'miss' because you dont lift up until you already have made contact. You shouldnt be wildly flailing your stick about

Edit: In fact it really pisses me off when people whack my stick hard from beneath because, I don't care if you hit me in the face but if you break my 52 cal I'm gonna be super loving pissed

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 6, 2011

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

toxicsunset posted:

I dunno how other guys do it but I don't whack the stick, I push it up. I put my stick under theirs, make contact and pull it up. You can't 'miss' because you dont lift up until you already have made contact. You shouldnt be wildly flailing your stick about

That's probably the better way to do it, but it requires more time to execute. On a play, for instance, where the lifting player is skating in and timing the pass, they'll have to go for a quick whack in order to elude detection. Can also happen on a one-on-one rush when the defender goes for a surprise lift and the attacking player stick handles out of the way. In either case, if you don't have time to position your stick under the puck carrier/pass receiver's stick, the more delicate method won't work.

Counter-edit: I've never seen a stick broken from a stick lift. That usually only happens on a chop from above.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Green Submarine posted:

That's probably the better way to do it, but it requires more time to execute. On a play, for instance, where the lifting player is skating in and timing the pass, they'll have to go for a quick whack in order to elude detection. Can also happen on a one-on-one rush when the defender goes for a surprise lift and the attacking player stick handles out of the way. In either case, if you don't have time to position your stick under the puck carrier/pass receiver's stick, the more delicate method won't work.

Counter-edit: I've never seen a stick broken from a stick lift. That usually only happens on a chop from above.

Clearly you've never played NHL 12 :colbert:

If it's that quick of a play I don't usually even try and lift their stick high though, just up off ice level. I dunno I dont think I've ever done it hard enough that if I missed it'd hit their face. And no matter what, it's not a common occurrence, definitely not something to be so concerned about you don't ever stick lift. Maybe I wasnt being clear though. I dont go up to the middle of their stick then left. I always aim for getting my stick up under near their blade because the further down I go the easier its going to be (leverage) and so theres not a whole lot of room to whack upwards before contact is made. I play at a really low level, obviously but probably so does he if he's that concerned about his ability to stick lift without wildly throwing his stick into a guys face. Most of the time all you want accomplished by a stick lift can be accomplished by lifting it 6 inches off the ice

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 6, 2011

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

Edit: In fact it really pisses me off when people whack my stick hard from beneath because, I don't care if you hit me in the face but if you break my 52 cal I'm gonna be super loving pissed
I don't know how you can do it the way you described and end up with the puck. The point is to make distance between your stick and his. I mean, if it works cool, but I just don't see other guys do it.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Gio posted:

I don't know how you can do it the way you described and end up with the puck. The point is to make distance between your stick and his. I mean, if it works cool, but I just don't see other guys do it.

Your stick is still on the bottom and you have the element of surprise so you still get back to the puck faster. Most of the time, as mentioned earlier, I'm doing this to agitate, or to stop passes from getting to him, or disrupt board play. I'm not slick enough to steal the puck clean most of the time.

I feel like my way leaves me way more in control of my own stick though. If I'm trying to steal the puck I probably do end up whacking, but in that situation you only need to get their stick off the puck so you dont have to do it as hard anyway

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 6, 2011

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

xzzy posted:

It's just a question of experience. I watch NHL games and see dudes get sticks in the face all the time, so little newbie me is worried about loving it up.
You'll high-stick someone every once in awhile. It will be okay. The non-idiots are wearing cages for that.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

toxicsunset posted:

If it's that quick of a play I don't usually even try and lift their stick high though, just up off ice level. I dunno I dont think I've ever done it hard enough that if I missed it'd hit their face. And no matter what, it's not a common occurrence, definitely not something to be so concerned about you don't ever stick lift. Maybe I wasnt being clear though. I dont go up to the middle of their stick then left. I always aim for getting my stick up under near their blade because the further down I go the easier its going to be (leverage) and so theres not a whole lot of room to whack upwards before contact is made. I play at a really low level, obviously but probably so does he if he's that concerned about his ability to stick lift without wildly throwing his stick into a guys face. Most of the time all you want accomplished by a stick lift can be accomplished by lifting it 6 inches off the ice

No, definitely not a common occurrence. Can't say I've winged anyone myself, but when I have seen it happen it's usually because someone misses. You probably see it more at higher levels (i.e., once a night in the NHL, as an armchair estimate), because the better players, as soggybagel pointed out, are stronger on their sticks, so the guy lifting is going to put more force behind it, making missing more spectacular that it might be otherwise.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Green Submarine posted:

No, definitely not a common occurrence. Can't say I've winged anyone myself, but when I have seen it happen it's usually because someone misses. You probably see it more at higher levels (i.e., once a night in the NHL, as an armchair estimate), because the better players, as soggybagel pointed out, are stronger on their sticks, so the guy lifting is going to put more force behind it, making missing more spectacular that it might be otherwise.

I think that's definitely the difference here. It doesn't take me a whole lot of force to lift their stick, I've thrown their stick out of their hands before in fact. (high sticking someone with their own stick doesnt count I dont think!)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So, since people are on the topic now, are there any other kinds of legal interference or tricks of the trade for preventing a guy from making a play on the puck?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

xzzy posted:

So, since people are on the topic now, are there any other kinds of legal interference or tricks of the trade for preventing a guy from making a play on the puck?

When one of my guys is coming in to grab the puck from a dump or to play behind the net I always get between him and the opposing player and hold him up. Get in front of people and slow them down, I can't stand when someone just lets someone go by them without some kind of engagement, if only to make them have to go around you, a couple seconds is all you need to buy.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I love it because I hate it when defenders do it to me in front of the net.

This is why I keep my stick off the ice in front of the net :smuggo:

No seriously, I'll wait until there's a chance the dude will pass, while moving around constantly so I can't be tied up, ie. switching from strong side to weak side. Then as soon as there's a chance for a pass, I put the stick down so the dude has a target, then I get my stick the gently caress off the ice, just to put it down either for a one timer, or put it down with all my weight behind it for a tip.

It works great, but it definitely is more useful to me as a small player (I'm 5'6) buzzing around, dropping down low or up high that it would for a big dude who's gonna want to be more of a net presence, particularly for screening the goalie which I barely do since most goalies I play against can just see over me anyway. Don't get me wrong, I still screen when I get the chance, it's just not usually useful.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Minister Robathan posted:

This is why I keep my stick off the ice in front of the net :smuggo:
See and I want to say if you're in front of net always keep your stick on the ice. Hell last night on the goal I assisted, I came in on the right side with a bunch of steam, started to lose and puck and stopped up to circle back around. As I was doing this my linemate crashed the net and was on the inside of his man at the far post, because he has his stick down and I put a perfect tape-to-tape pass on his stick he literally didn't have to do anything except use his stick to deflect the puck into the net.

If he didn't have his stick on the ice the entire time he probably wouldn't have scored because I wheeled around at the point and just flung the puck towards the net. I'm about 99% certain he wasn't expected the pass to happen, but good things happen when you get near the net and keep your stick on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

real_scud posted:

but good things happen when you get near the net and keep your stick on the ice.

Are you by any chance Eddie Olczyk?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Different scenarios. I think everyone would say that the player driving the net should always have stick on ice. If you're parked in front, though, and have time to read the play, then you might be able to keep it off the ice to avoid the D tying it up while waiting for your moment to show tape.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
So our goalie no showed last night and we had a player standing in net while we waited for another goalie to show up. This dude rips a top shelf slap shot drilling her in the face and breaking her shield and he simply responds "Shouldn't be standing there".

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Those are pretty awesome last words, when's his funeral/your team's murder trial?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

Hah no, but I remember hearing the line originally from Kevin Stevens or someone else on the mid-90's Pens saying that he knew if he was on the ice with Mario to always keep his stick on the ice near the net because somehow Mario found a way to get the puck on his stick even if he didn't think it was possible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some of you dudes play in weird situations or maybe it's just me.

People get clipped all the time in the face from missed stick lifts -- this isn't a slow maneuver but often done at speed usually while watching something other than the stick that is being lifted. I get clipped several times in a season from lazy or improperly timed lifts. It's probably the biggest single reason I still wear a full shield.

Consequently I rarely see anyone stick lift a stick out of the players hand. Most of the time that happens it's due to a slash, which is an obvious call for a ref to make.

Stick on the ice is always a good policy, especially at lower levels. The passer should be passing to where you can reach it. To me it's easier to maneuver out of a prolonged stick check while having the stick on the ice rather than having the stick off the ice, finding where to put my stick, making an obvious target while avoiding a quick stick lift or the other person getting their stick there first.

At higher levels, sure, but those people are also better equipped to place the puck into a position where you can redirect a shot a few inches off of the ice or off target anyways.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

You can tell he's not because he didn't say, "Ok...now...STOP IT RIGHT HERE!"

real_scud posted:

Hah no, but I remember hearing the line originally from Kevin Stevens or someone else on the mid-90's Pens saying that he knew if he was on the ice with Mario to always keep his stick on the ice near the net because somehow Mario found a way to get the puck on his stick even if he didn't think it was possible.

Also this.

--

Played drop-in at lunch today. Bunch of ex D1/CHL guys showed up. My legs are so dead right now.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 6, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

poser posted:

So our goalie no showed last night and we had a player standing in net while we waited for another goalie to show up. This dude rips a top shelf slap shot drilling her in the face and breaking her shield and he simply responds "Shouldn't be standing there".

Definitely a dick move, but she shouldn't have been standing there.

A player infront of the net is basically useless, might as well play 6 on 5 instead of 5 on 5 with a joke in net.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Yea a skater in regular gear should not be standing in front of the net. It's just a bad idea. You don't have the equipment on to stand there it just has all sorts of bad on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

real_scud posted:

See and I want to say if you're in front of net always keep your stick on the ice. Hell last night on the goal I assisted, I came in on the right side with a bunch of steam, started to lose and puck and stopped up to circle back around. As I was doing this my linemate crashed the net and was on the inside of his man at the far post, because he has his stick down and I put a perfect tape-to-tape pass on his stick he literally didn't have to do anything except use his stick to deflect the puck into the net.

If he didn't have his stick on the ice the entire time he probably wouldn't have scored because I wheeled around at the point and just flung the puck towards the net. I'm about 99% certain he wasn't expected the pass to happen, but good things happen when you get near the net and keep your stick on the ice.

Yeah, in that situation I agree. This guy even has a good explanation! (for me to steal)

Green Submarine posted:

Different scenarios. I think everyone would say that the player driving the net should always have stick on ice. If you're parked in front, though, and have time to read the play, then you might be able to keep it off the ice to avoid the D tying it up while waiting for your moment to show tape.

re: low level hockey keeping the stick on the ice at all times:

I've played AAA midget, so I'm not a beginner, and I don't really play in low level leagues. I also know that what works for me isn't what will work for everyone, regardless of skill. With that said, I'm not gonna win many battles with a bigger dman, and I know that. So I avoid letting them take me out of the play. On a break, I don't have this problem, so I just keep the stick on the ice where I want the puck. I've gotten so many goals and assists outta this, it's not even funny.