Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

CowGuy posted:

My mom is getting a cat today that is 4 years old and is declawed. I was worried about the cat being declawed and wondering if there are any extra steps I should take into account because of this. I read through the OP and only saw why it was bad and just wanted to know about managing it.

Nope, my cat came declawed (at 8 years old) and doesn't seem to notice he's any different. However, be prepared for comedy to ensure when the cat misjudges the jump onto a piece of furniture and scrambles to stay up, unsuccessfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SubbyMinx posted:

Quick question here for anyone who has toilet-trained their cats.

We've had our two lovely girls for about a year and a half now, which would make them a year and three-quarters, ish. We've been thinking about trying to toilet train them, and I was wondering if it would be an issue that we only have one toilet? We have three litter boxes (number of cats +1), and there is definitely preferences over which cat uses which box, and one box only ever gets peed in. Personal anecdotes muchly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

SubbyMinx and Tsietisin.

I'm pretty far along in the toilet training of my pair, we have 3 toilets but they only use one. They also only had one litter box before I started, so it wasn't that big of a change for them. It doesn't seem to bother them that they only have one toilet either, if they both need to go, the second one waits for the first to finish then does his thing.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Cryptic Edge posted:

I'm pretty far along in the toilet training of my pair, we have 3 toilets but they only use one. They also only had one litter box before I started, so it wasn't that big of a change for them. It doesn't seem to bother them that they only have one toilet either, if they both need to go, the second one waits for the first to finish then does his thing.

Sounds promising! Thank you very much. As soon as I have some funds again, I'll be investing in a litter-quitter or similar! :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Any recommendations for brands of cat deworming tablets?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

marshmallard posted:

Any recommendations for brands of cat deworming tablets?

It depends on which worms you have seen. Ask your vet for brands that they trust that will cover the worms you've seen.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Enelrahc posted:

It depends on which worms you have seen. Ask your vet for brands that they trust that will cover the worms you've seen.

I haven't seen any worms. I'm treating the cats for fleas and thought I should do worms too, especially as one of the cats is really skinny no matter what he eats.

ariagloris
Jan 9, 2010
This may sound silly but hey whatever. I've just got my first cat, she's fine but there's one thing I was hoping for some assistance with:

She loves her cheeks being rubbed, other than that though it's a big no-go. If you even touch any other part she just runs off. She also will let you rub her cheek once/twice then run away, rub up against a wall/chair, then run back for more cheek rubs.

Any idea on how to build more trust to get her interested in being more playful? I've tried (over the last couple of weeks) to only rub her cheek's if she stays, that is to say if she runs off after the first rub, I'll just go back to what I was doing. It's somewhat worked - but she's just not really playful.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Yeah, the problem was clearly on my end. Not twenty minutes after making that post I heard some scratching and pawing, and sure enough she was using it just fine. It's funny, the shelter suggested she'd do best on her own because she was coming from a house with multiple cats that picked on her, but I wasn't expecting her to become queen of the castle quite so fast. Oh well!

Aww - this sounds just like my kitty! She came from a house with multiple cats who were constantly mean to her (my parents' house actually) and it just made her absolutely miserable. I have video evidence of it, I should post before and after footage sometime. But she just did a total 180 after I took her in and she became my only cat. Like your kitty, she immediately adjusted to her new surroundings and has been incredibly happy ever since.

Anyway, I'm not surprised your kitty is doing great - I have a feeling that kitties who were "rescued" from really miserable and unhappy conditions tend to be extra-happy and good once they find themselves in a stable living environment. She will definitely be queen of the castle, though, you are now a guest in her home :3:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

What can I do about cat acne if the cat in question already doesn't use plastic bowls?

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
After using a furminator at the shelter on a big, long-haired black kitty who had abysmal fur and seeing how much he loved it I bought one.

Figaro hates it. Absolutely hates it with a passion. He smacked my hand over and over again then gnawed on my fingers. He's not the best at grooming anyway but this was not his normal "must eat comb" reaction. And then Watson was like :wtf: and hid under the coffee table -- he usually loves being groomed.

I wonder if it's just something they have to get used to or if I'm seriously bad at operating a brush.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Radio! posted:

What can I do about cat acne if the cat in question already doesn't use plastic bowls?

Make sure you wash any bowls/fountains every day. You can also gently clean the cat's chin with warm water & a washcloth, though he/she probably won't tolerate it for very long.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
No recommendations for deworming tablet brands?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

marshmallard posted:

No recommendations for deworming tablet brands?

I believe the general consensus is that over the counter brands don't work. You should call your vet, as long as your cats have been in in the past year, they should be able to prescribe something for you and you can just go by and pick it up.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Esmerelda posted:

After using a furminator at the shelter on a big, long-haired black kitty who had abysmal fur and seeing how much he loved it I bought one.

Figaro hates it. Absolutely hates it with a passion. He smacked my hand over and over again then gnawed on my fingers. He's not the best at grooming anyway but this was not his normal "must eat comb" reaction. And then Watson was like :wtf: and hid under the coffee table -- he usually loves being groomed.

I wonder if it's just something they have to get used to or if I'm seriously bad at operating a brush.
What brush were you using before? Is it "pulling" too much? Does it smell funny? The only suggestions I can think of off-hand are leaving it out and spraying it with Feliway to get them to see it as safe eventually, or going back to the store and exchanging it for a different one if you think the blade is bad somehow.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

duckfarts posted:

What brush were you using before? Is it "pulling" too much? Does it smell funny? The only suggestions I can think of off-hand are leaving it out and spraying it with Feliway to get them to see it as safe eventually, or going back to the store and exchanging it for a different one if you think the blade is bad somehow.

Some cats just don't like it. Two of mine don't.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Esmerelda posted:

I bought one and the first couple of times I used it, Oreo hated it too. He would get up and leave and fight me on it the whole time. I just gave him lots of treats during the brushing, and petting him with my hand and talking to him the whole time. He now tolerates it pretty well, and purrs the entire time. I also try to do it after he's had a big play session and is pretty pooped out.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
If they don't like the Furminator, try exchanging for a shedding blade (looks like a handle attached to a metal hoop with teeth on one side); they should be similarly effective.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I'm going to try it again tonight and see how it goes.

Figaro is very protect of his fur. He glares, gnaws and generally gets squirmy whenever I try and brush his fur so it doesn't get tangled. He isn't mad or freaking out when I brush him but he's obviously not pleased with the situation. The new brush may have been pulling more but I don't think so. At least it didn't feel like it.

I have the blade cover on it and left it out on the table for them. When I left this morning they hadn't even glanced at it but they always get on the table when I'm gone so hopefully they'll have it out with the new brush once and for all before I get home.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Questions about new cat (or kitten) integrating with resident cats:

I've had Chloe (the resident cat, ~6 months old) and our new kitten, Molly (~8 weeks) slowly getting to know each other. I've had the door open while they eat so they get to know each other, and have had small visitations. Chloe would hiss and growl a bit, but it *seems* as if it's gotten better.

Last night, we took it to the next level. I've been worried about them interacting, since Molly is so tiny. We had them on a supervised visit, and they ended up doing a little "chase the other cat around" type thing. Chloe wasn't growing or hissing (unless we petted her while she was in the middle of the chase), and both cats seemed to be okay. There was swiping at each other, but no claws. It was actually pretty hilarious. As soon as one turned around and started walking away, the other would pounce on the other.

My question is: are we going in the right direction here? Or have I just unraveled all the small build-up to get to this point? They obviously aren't to the point where they'll chill and sleep together, but I feel like this is going well.

edit: here's my original post with pictures: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=131#post398086471

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

RheaConfused posted:

I believe the general consensus is that over the counter brands don't work. You should call your vet, as long as your cats have been in in the past year, they should be able to prescribe something for you and you can just go by and pick it up.

OK - there is a vet website I can get stuff from, and I can't afford a vet visit at the moment - what brands do the vets sell? What worming tablet brands have people used before?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

marshmallard posted:

OK - there is a vet website I can get stuff from, and I can't afford a vet visit at the moment - what brands do the vets sell? What worming tablet brands have people used before?

Theres the little city dogs brand tablets on amazon for cats that work well. That's what I usually use at least

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Cryptic Edge posted:

Theres the little city dogs brand tablets on amazon for cats that work well. That's what I usually use at least

Cool, I'll have a look for those.

The brands the vet website sells are: Droncit, Drontal, Granofen, Johnson's Vetinary and various types of Panacur. Are any of those good?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
6 month old catbro is a biter. He really doesn't like to be petted, and will usually try to bite and scratch when you do. I'm pretty sure it's playful, but is it normal for a 6 month old kitten to still be pretty intense with the biting? I'm talking all day, every day. The only time you can pet him is if he's tired and you scratch behind his ears, otherwise he gets all worked up and wants to bite.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
7 month old's food obsession is getting worse. She slashed and bit my wrist while I was lowering her bowl of food so that I would drop it and allow her to eat it .5 seconds sooner. She snarfed it all down in about 15 seconds (about 125 calories of Wellness wet) while screaming her most nervous MROW MROW MROW and then ran into her litterbox, threw it all up, and ate it again.

What the gently caress!

fish_cola
Apr 18, 2009

Lawnie posted:

6 month old catbro is a biter. He really doesn't like to be petted, and will usually try to bite and scratch when you do. I'm pretty sure it's playful, but is it normal for a 6 month old kitten to still be pretty intense with the biting? I'm talking all day, every day. The only time you can pet him is if he's tired and you scratch behind his ears, otherwise he gets all worked up and wants to bite.

Wow, I actually came here to ask the same exact question. Small, 6-month-old spayed girl cat, loooooves to bite. She's friendly and personable--not scared of people, loves strangers and will come up to new people be petted and purr and all that. We run her around with toys and laser pointers and all kinds of stuff to try and tire her out, but her energy is ENDLESS.

For some reason she only hurts the people she's very comfortable with--me, and my roommate; never bites strangers even when she is playing with them. We try yelping and putting her down, and even try to use the squirt bottle for grievous offenses, but it seems like whenever she's truly happy and purring and kneading and cuddling with you--she is biting! hard! Are some cats just sadists? Or are we just not hard-line enough with the discipline?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

marshmallard posted:

Cool, I'll have a look for those.

The brands the vet website sells are: Droncit, Drontal, Granofen, Johnson's Vetinary and various types of Panacur. Are any of those good?

They all treat different kinds of worms and you won't know what type of worms it has without a fecal floatation. I honestly wouldn't bother unless you've seen proglottids or you've had a fecal float done and know what you're trying to kill. Since you're going to to it anyways, if you think your cat has tapes because of fleas then use praziquantel. Be sure to give the correct dose (by weight). Happy pilling!

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 6, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
The type of tapeworms that cats get from eating fleas don't generally do anything terribly malicious to the cat - they just look gross when there are rice grainy things coming out of its butt. So like, I wouldn't really worry about treating if you haven't seen any of those.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Topoisomerase posted:

The type of tapeworms that cats get from eating fleas don't generally do anything terribly malicious to the cat - they just look gross when there are rice grainy things coming out of its butt. So like, I wouldn't really worry about treating if you haven't seen any of those.

Oh OK :) thanks. I was just being paranoid, I think. Poor Hat has so much wrong with him already!

Speaking of Hat, he has a nosebleed about once a week - I'll ask the vet next time I'm there but is that anything to worry about? I can't seem to stop them when they start, I just have to mop up the blood and wait.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

re: 6 month old cats biting. They will most likely grow out of this behavior in fairly short order if you do your part. In my experience it's sort of typical "mrowr i'm a tough teenage kitty!!" behavior where they're trying to figure out what is and is not acceptable, and what they can get away with. So to help them grow out of the biting you need to continue to be firm in discouraging it, even if it feels like it's doing absolutely no good in the immediate future. If you just give up now and let them constantly bite and scratch you, then they're going to grow up thinking that it's acceptable in your eyes, and it'll be a lot tougher to break them of the habit later on. Just clearly delineate that toys are for biting and scratching, and human flesh is NOT, and they really and truly will take that to heart eventually.

So basically, keep it up - yelping at them when they bite you, then ignoring them and simply not touching/petting them afterwards or even getting up and leaving so they are unable to continue biting. Also, remember to positively reinforce the good behavior. When you have a play session with toys and the kitty is biting and clawing at the toy, like they should be, give them treats. If you have a petting session that conspicuously lacks biting, give treats for that too. Do this for a few months and they will figure it out.

And the end result is that you'll have an awesomely socialized cat that *gets it*. I'm really proud of my kitty for this reason - even in the middle of an incredibly fierce play-session when her claws are all extended and her mouth is open and she's at her fiercest, I can put my hand right on her belly or touch her head and she will simply *stop*, and will refuse to bite or scratch it. Because she really understands that biting/scratching humans = bad. And she never bites or scratches me for any reason, otherwise. I'm not trying to be like "OMG my cat is awesome" here (even though she is :3:), there's nothing particularly special about her in this regard. Everyone just really stuck with the program when she was young and she learned what she should and should not do.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

marshmallard posted:

Oh OK :) thanks. I was just being paranoid, I think. Poor Hat has so much wrong with him already!

Speaking of Hat, he has a nosebleed about once a week - I'll ask the vet next time I'm there but is that anything to worry about? I can't seem to stop them when they start, I just have to mop up the blood and wait.

Is it from both nostrils or just one?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey everyone, tonight I came home from school and there was a calico wandering around in the apartment complex parking lot looking all cold and lonely. I called to him and he came over to me. I noticed he had a rabies vaccination tag so I pet him for a while as I looked around for his owner.

Well, he followed me up to my 3rd floor apartment and came right into my room with me. I can't find any contact info other than the vet where he/she was vaccinated at (which is closed at this time of night, I tried calling). So basically I have a few questions.

1) My girlfriend says she sees him all the time wandering around the complex, so should I just let him go back out? I feel bad doing this because its in the 20s outside, and what kind of irresponsible owner lets their cat wander a 20-building student apartment complex anyway.

2) What do I need to feed it? I know it talks about this in the OP, but I wondered if there might be a go-to "safe" cat food for strange cats where you don't know their usual diet.

3) For water, should I just keep a small bowl of water available for him right now?

Also anything else I should know or do before I can call his vet tomorrow?

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
If it were me I'd keep him inside. Worst case scenario is his owners worry all night and re-think their decisions to let their cat outside. It's also possible he's an inside cat who got out by accident and they'll appreciate you holding onto him and keeping him safe for now.

I wouldn't worry about providing food since it's just for one night. Do provide water though and a litter pan if you have one. Do you have cats? If so keep him separate in case he's carrying any cooties.

edit: you said calico, so "he's" probably a girl (right?)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cassiope posted:

If it were me I'd keep him inside. Worst case scenario is his owners worry all night and re-think their decisions to let their cat outside. It's also possible he's an inside cat who got out by accident and they'll appreciate you holding onto him and keeping him safe for now.

I wouldn't worry about providing food since it's just for one night. Do provide water though and a litter pan if you have one. Do you have cats? If so keep him separate in case he's carrying any cooties.

edit: you said calico, so "he's" probably a girl (right?)

Yeah, I do not own cats! I have two birds and two guinea pigs though, so I'm not foreign to pet care. Here's a bad picture of him. We're making a makeshift litter box from a cardboard box and shredded paper, hopefully that will work. He was drooling a little so we actually got a little concerned and called the emergency vet to make sure we didn't have to worry about rabies, and they said it should be fine. Thanks for the help by the way. :)

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 7, 2011

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Aw he looks sweet. When my formerly-stray/outside cat moved herself in she was pretty drooly. It turns out she was just so relaxed and happy she would drool on herself.

Good luck getting in touch with the owners tomorrow! If it were me I would be very grateful to you for keeping ahold of my kitty :)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

marshmallard posted:

Cocaine

JK Hat is a good cat. Now Grumples on the other hand...

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Droid Washington posted:

Hey everyone, tonight I came home from school and there was a calico wandering around in the apartment complex parking lot looking all cold and lonely. I called to him and he came over to me. I noticed he had a rabies vaccination tag so I pet him for a while as I looked around for his owner.
See if you can find the owners by tracing the rabies tag.

pandasmustdie
Feb 2, 2005

He deserved it

Serella posted:

Cocaine

JK Hat is a good cat. Now Grumples on the other hand...

Hat has been known to snort lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdlvKXMleQY

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Topoisomerase posted:

Is it from both nostrils or just one?

It's impossible to tell because his nose was covered in blood. He kept breathing outwards hard to try and clear it, which sent the blood everywhere.

pandasmustdie
Feb 2, 2005

He deserved it

marshmallard posted:

It's impossible to tell because his nose was covered in blood. He kept breathing outwards hard to try and clear it, which sent the blood everywhere.

It was coming out of both, but as it was slowing down it seemed to be mostly coming from just one (his right).

Like marshmallard said, though, his whole nose was red and he kept blasting it everywhere by breathing out hard (he does this anyway, he's a very snuffly cat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Uh oh! One of my kitties started drooling a few days ago. It's not like a constant stream of liquid, but a little bit in the way a baby will do. They're inside kitties only, so I can't imagine what it might be. :ohdear:
Leo appears to have stopped drooling, but CJ dropped some pure diarrhea in my bedroom today. Later on, I found some semi-dried diarrhea on my luggage, presumably from before when I caught CJ pooping, and even worse, it has white strands in it, likely worms.

The kitties don't go outside, so it only seems possible that they got fleas from our piece of poo poo roommate and his Australian shepherd who's supposed to be on flea medication but he's a piece of poo poo roommate who doesn't keep up with it.

Vet appointment made, plenty of money to be wasted. God drat it. :smith: